Chapter 1
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

If there's one thing that Peter can count on, after the many years he's spent traveling across different universes, it's that the law of Murphy, or Parker's luck as he's gotten to call it a couple of dimensions back, will screw him over at any time's he's less prepared for it.
After knowing that, thanks to Spider-Man from Earth 616, he's learned to be prepared for almost anything.
However, there will always be moments when, even if he tries to prepare, he cannot do so completely. And even with how much he tries, the moment he wakes in a new universe is one of them. It doesn't matter how many times he's tried to change his CAG-O, or Come And Go-Omniversal, or how many times he's brought new goodies to help; he will always, always become dizzy the first couple of minutes of appearing in another world.
It's not something that happens slowly, as there is a reason CAG-O is called like that. He literally comes and goes. For one hot second, his body is thrown across the different planes of the Earth he currently is; the next, he's being pulled across all directions, his Spidey sense yelling like crazy. It's not until an eternity seems to pass in a second that his body starts to go into what he's learned it's called the Web of Life and Destiny. His head finally receives some respite from the Spidey-sense's yelling. His brain doesn't try to explode for a few minutes, and he seems to be one with himself.
He's also learned to meditate during those times, as he can always use those precious seconds to synchronize his Spider-sense with his body and brain.
Then he's thrown into another place. His body becoming real and his senses going from calm to chaotic faster than one can say 'Shit'.
Why that word? Well, it's always the first he says after opening his eyes.
It's not because his head uses his brain like a pair of maracas. He's already grown used to it, after all. It's mostly because of the situations he finds himself in as soon as he wakes up.
Case in point, as soon as he opens his eyes, a killer headache still drumming between his brows, not helped by the shots going on around that he's succeeding to evade thanks to his heightened Spider-sense and the fact that they're not really trying to shoot at him. He's simply in the middle of what looks like gang members, and… is that Ghost Rider?
A bullet breaks the skin on his right leg because of that distraction, causing him to flip in surprise. It's just a graze, but the pain is enough to wake him up from his daze.
He jumps to a lamppost just in time for him to see Ghost Rider killing his last victim. Then the man-turned-skeleton turns to him, one hand extended towards him. It makes him tense for a second before he hears him utter the words 'innocent.'
Then he turns and leaves the place on his motorcycle.
He doesn't stop him. He knows he's in no condition to do anything. He's waiting, after all.
When he hears the sirens, he swings away to the nearest remote place, which happens to be a corner hidden on a rooftop and waits.
And keeps waiting.
It's until an hour has passed that he lets the flutter of hope bloom inside him, just for a while. And then he squashes it mercilessly. It has happened before, after all. Maybe the Peter Parker of this Earth is already dead or still hasn't been born.
He looks down at the necklace Dr. Strange gave him before he started doing these jumps across the omniverse. It will take a couple of weeks to analyze his current situation, but while someone might think it's better to secure a place to sleep and some food, that's always been priority two for him.
Priority one? Find information about where he is.
After all, he's prepared a couple of granola bars to satisfy the sudden hunger that always comes with traveling, as he has done after trip number three. That will be enough for a couple of hours, but he needs to keep searching for more, as the trips always leave him this hungry for at least a couple of days. 
Still, priority number one.
He looks around and swings until he sees a newspaper on a trash can that says it's April 21st, so the date is probably near that one. He picks it up and reads the content to find he's in Los Angeles.
He's been there a couple of times, so if not much has changed, the library must be less than an hour away if he goes parkour style. It's more normal than going swinging, and it's better not to do that when he doesn't know where and when he is.
For all he knows, this world is anti-powers as others he's been were. It's better to always be cautious as he makes his way.
And lo and behold, forty-five minutes later, he's on top of a library. He doesn't like to break into other places, but he's learned long ago that beggars cannot be choosers regarding information. So, with the usual heavy heart, he climbs inside and searches for the computers section. 
In less than five minutes, he turns on, inserts a USB inside the CPU, and proceeds to learn everything he can about this world while the program he needs downloads in the background.
Searching for Peter Parker leads to nothing except for a high school teacher who looks nothing like him. Not that all the other Spider men looked like him, but he always felt a connection when looking at one of them, even if it was only by pictures.
The hope increases, making his heart speed up.
He then looks for his family's names, and he only finds a young Ben Parker, with no brothers to speak of, married to May Parker.
The hope increases but there's been other Spider men without his name, so he keeps squashing the hope.
He then looks at other heroes and finds Tony Stark at its center, already revealed to be Iron Man for a few years now. Hulk is harder to find, but he does so. There are sightings of a couple of what he guesses are mutants. A look for the name Charles Xavier reveals that the X-Men are indeed a thing here, not because of something obvious as sightings, but because the Xavier school is there. He doesn't find anything on the Fantastic Four as a group but he does find them as separate people, and it seems they have an off-planet project that will be going on the 31st of this month so they probably hadn't had their accident yet.
The time on the corner of the computer shows that it's the 22nd, so he probably won't be able to help.
There are sightings of Daredevil in Hell's Kitchen, but it's more of a legend at the moment. Knowing that searching for mercenaries will not lead to anything until he's on the deep web, he doesn't try to find Wade, as he will soon know about it anyway,
He's about to insert another name when his download shows as complete. He then removes the USB and erases the computer's history before leaving.
When he's away on the top of another roof, he presses the center on his chest where the spider symbol is and waits until the nanobots of his suit are inside his watch before grabbing his backpack and putting on a pair of pants, his shirt already on as it's not noticeable with the suit on top. That's one of the reasons he always wears it, and it's warmer. When dressed, he places the small card inside the USB into an opening in his watch. Then, while he waits, he eats the granola bars and takes the glasses Tony gave him so long ago and his earbuds from the backpack.
He puts them on just in time to hear a soft ding from his watch and the card he previously put inside come out.
Clicking a button on the side of the watch, he hears Edith's sweet voice coming from his earbuds.
"Hello, Peter." He sighs, happiness bubbling inside him at hearing a familiar voice. It chips away some of the tiredness he's been feeling for the past three years, a year and a half after he started traveling. I'm connected to this Earth's internet. Do you want me to run the Find-myself program as usual?"
He runs a hand through his hair. "Yes, please. Also, look at the similarities between this world and the others."
"Of course, Peter. Do you want me to search for allies, or do you prefer to start looking for materials to build the CAG-O machine?"
Without thinking much about it, he says, "Look for where we can find the materials. After learning about the similarities between worlds, we can download some games to earn cash."
"… Do you want me to go around to create a legal identity for you?"
He hates how hesitant his AI is when asked this question. He knows she wants him to say yes, wants him to create a life, and wants him to be social as something more than Spider-Man, but he cannot—not after the first couple of worlds.
He doesn't want to form bonds.
Or, well, he does. Despite his constant anxiety whenever he talks with someone without the mask on, he's a social creature, after all. But… he doesn't want to form a life when he doesn't know if he can stay for more than a couple of months. He doesn't want to get his hopes high anymore.
So yeah, he's final with only socializing while being Spiderman and with other Spider-Men.
"Peter?" Edith asks, pulling him away from his thoughts.
"Sorry, but no. Don't do it. At least not yet." Sitting on a hidden corner of the roof, he sighs and puts his backpack behind him, using it to recline onto it.
Tomorrow, Edith will give him some answers.
Tomorrow, he will start searching for a place to sleep and something to eat.
Tonight, without the weight of memories from other Peter's inside his head, he decides to sleep for a while.
"Good night, Peter."
He's so tired, though.

.

.

It's not until three hours have passed that Edith wakes him up.
"Peter, it's Wade."
"Wha—"
"He's been put into Project X for a month now."
 That instantly wakes him up. "Shit."

Announcement
Ciao!
So, instead of continue writing my other stories, I decided to take a break and do a light new work after all the Spider man fanfiction I've reading.
And well...
It caused this story, which doesn't want me to write anything else until I reach a certain plot point.
So far, I've got thirteen chapters that I will probably update slowly.
Also, probably will end in m/m because I need my slash juice. Things that I've been ignoring lately for more straight or adventure-type stories.
I need it.
1