Chapter 3 – Strange Connection
832 2 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Evelyn and Nyx fell asleep in the cave soundly.

But something interesting was happening in another part of the forest. On a small cliff, a wolf was laying on the ground as it kept growling and whimpering in pain. It was the same wolf that had attacked Nyx.

When its teeth grazed Nyx's shoulder, it actually got some of her blood in its mouth, which it swallowed. But after that, it started to feel uneasy in its stomach, which is why it ran away without attacking Nyx. However, it couldn't go far and slumped on the ground on a cliff.

Suddenly, the wolf slowly stood up, but there was some craziness in its eyes. It started jumping around frantically as though it had lost its mind. Its yellow eyes suddenly started turning bright red, and its fur grew even more. Its nose became sharper, and its body also seemed to grow a few inches taller.

Just as this transformation occurred, it stopped dancing frantically as the look in its eyes deepened. There was a newfound intelligence in its eyes. It slowly walked forward to the edge of the cliff and, looking up into the sky and stars, started howling. The sound was so great that all the nearby small animals that were sleeping got scared and ran away.

-------------------------------

Evelyn opened her eyes and woke up from her sleep. She rubbed her eyes and wiped away the saliva on the corners of her mouth.

"Haaa, it's morning already," she said as she sat up and yawned while looking around. But she didn't see the big sister that she had rescued last night, so her eyes began to panic.

She stood up and looked around, only spot the red-haired girl at the entrance of the cave. She heaved a sigh of relief.

'I need to go back before mama comes back. Sigh, I could've traveled at night and entered the duchy sneakily, but this big sister may be afraid of traveling in the dark, so I had to stay a night here. I hope mama isn't back yet,' Evelyn thought to herself as she stood up and tidied her clothes under the cloak.

The fire from the previous night had already stopped burning, so they just needed to start their traveling.

She walked near Nyx and tried to see what she was doing, standing alone at the cave entrance. To her surprise, Nyx seemed to be playing some kind of game. She was putting one of her legs into the sunlight and quickly pulling it back while staying in the shadow of the cave.

"Big sister, what are you doing?" Evelyn asked, still in a sleepy mode.

Nyx suddenly paused and slowly turned around, looking at Evelyn. Clearing her throat a little, she spoke, "Nothing. Just looking at the sunrise." Obviously, that was a lie. She was checking if she could actually walk in sunlight.

From the memories she got about vampires, she knew they couldn't walk in sunlight unless they were very strong, in which case the sunlight wouldn't hurt them. And having no memories of how this girl had survived before also made it hard to understand what she could and couldn't do. So she was checking if she could go out, although her foot didn't seem to hurt. Still, she was a bit skeptical.

"The river is nearby. Let's go wash our faces and go to the duchy," Evelyn said as she came out from the cave and started walking into the forest.

Nyx sighed, seeing the silver-haired girl walk away.

'Well, if it hurts, I'll just jump back into the shadow,' Nyx thought as she stepped into the sunlight.

She felt a sudden burning sensation on her body as alarms went off in her mind. However, after a few seconds, nothing happened, and the sensation had also gone.

She was not affected by the sunlight!

Nyx almost jumped into the air in happiness. Although she didn't know the particular reason for this, she was glad that she wasn't restricted from walking in the sun.

'A lot of my memories are still fuzzy. Maybe I'll find out why sunlight won't harm me,' she thought as she started walking towards where Evelyn had gone.

'There are only two reasons that I know of that would allow a vampire to roam around in the sun. First is that they should be very strong, which I don't think I am. The second is that they're a half-breed between a vampire and a human, who had more human characteristics and fewer vampire traits. From my memories, I can tell I'm a full-blooded vampire and not a half-breed.'

With many doubts in her mind, she arrived at a river shore where she saw Evelyn in the water, washing her hands and face. She also descended into the water since her clothes were dirty. She went a bit deeper into the water and washed her face.

After aggressively scrubbing off her face and washing it, she came out of the water, where Evelyn was already waiting for her.

"Ahh, big sister, you're so beautiful," Evelyn exclaimed as she saw Nyx's face.

Nyx, who heard this, was actually quite flattered inside, although she didn't show much of an expression for the compliment.

After all, it was the first time someone had praised her beauty.

After that, they both set out as they started walking.

From the information she got from Evelyn last night, Nyx understood quite a lot about the current world. Currently, the world was very peaceful as no major wars had happened for centuries. There were seven major races in this world. They had formed an alliance as they all wanted to keep the peace in the world.

Humans had different kingdoms where they lived, but mainly, they were all affiliated or vassal kingdoms of the Holy Empire, which represented all the humans. And the Nemorosa Kingdom, where they were currently heading, was also affiliated with the Holy Empire.

Nyx chatted about little things on their way as they reached half the distance. However, for some reason, she noticed Evelyn seemed to be in a hurry.

"Evelyn, be careful. The forest is dense; there might be animals in the way," Nyx said as she feared that Evelyn would be attacked out of nowhere.

"Big sister, don't worry. We're almost close, so I don't think big animals would be this close to the duchy," Evelyn said in a careful tone as she jumped down from a small rock she had climbed while walking.

However, she suddenly got bounced up, which made Evelyn panic.

"What is that soft surface I landed on now?" Before she could think further, the land under her feet started moving upwards as it pushed her aside.

A massive bear covered in mud and small plants on its skin suddenly rose up from the ground as it roared. The roar caused all the birds to fly away from the trees as it sent shockwaves around.

Nyx, who was watching, hurriedly searched for Evelyn, who had fallen down from the bear.

With speed, Evelyn quickly ran towards Nyx as a sword appeared out of nowhere in her hand.

Nyx was shocked.

'This little girl has a space ring near her. She's definitely not a normal citizen of kingdom. She also saw people using space rings on their hands in her previous life, which is why she knows about it.'

"I-It's a silver-furred bear. It must be in its hibernation period. Big sister, run away! We both can't escape since this animal is fast between the trees," Evelyn shouted as she saw the bear roar and swing its claw towards her and Nyx.

'I can block that if I use mana, then I'll use that token to escape.' Just as she thought this, she suddenly felt a push on her behind as Nyx's body slammed into her, pushing Evelyn away from the bear's attack.

Nyx stood and picked Evelyn up in a princess carry and started running the other way from the bear.

"Uh, big sister, wh-Woah, big sister can run so fast," Evelyn exclaimed as she saw the speed they were running at.

On the other hand, Nyx was sweating. 'Seriously, human children seem to be really hard to handle. I told her to walk slowly, and she's trying to act like a hero in front of that massive-ass bear. She would've turned into meat paste if I didn't push her. Uh, dammit, I can only use 50 to 70 percent of my strength if I don't transform into a vampire. I could've abandoned her, but she's way too cute, and she rescued me last time, so like a human, I should repay the favor.'

Nyx pushed her thoughts away as she heard the bear chasing them. It seemed to be destroying all the trees while running in their direction.

'It's close. Even though I'm strong, I can't outrun a forest animal. Sigh, seems like I have no choice but to transform. I hope I won't scare Evelyn with this,' Nyx thought.

Just as she was getting ready to transform, she saw a huge shadow on the ground. She looked up only to see a big wolf cross in the air as it landed in front of the bear.

Nyx's eyes widened as a jolt was passed through her body, but unlike last night, she didn't feel any pain or anything. Weirdly, she felt a connection with the wolf that she had just seen.

"It's the same wolf I fought yesterday! But why do I feel a connection with it?" she said slowly, turning back to see the wolf standing before the bear, defending her and Evelyn. Both beasts looked into each other's eyes as they opened their mouths and roared, ready to fight.

33