Chapter 5
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It has been 6 years since the ceremony and since the Rosswave’s have arrived to be my tutors. Since that man attacked Mrs. Rosswave the rest of the villagers just kept an eye on her to prevent it from happening again. They really became part of the village during that time but today will be their last day in the village. They claim they have been tied down for too long in one place.

Soon I will have to depart to go study magic under my mentor that invited me to study under them. I asked about who they were and everyone just sidestepped the question and said they were rather unique. Gli and Varlaf have really grown up you could easily mistake varlaf for a seasoned adult man. Gli grew taller but retained such a youthful appearance which she could be mistaken as a child. Myself on the other hand I look like a young adult. My hair that used to be dark brown has turned lighter colored. I learned when my adult teeth came in that I had really sharp canines that I was a half blessed vampire. My mother explained that it was from my father who apparently died defending a town from a horde of rampaging beasts. Even now in that town he is hailed a hero.

When I went to see if there were any new letters today, in the bottom of the pile was an envelope with that same wax seal with a slashed S. I realized it was from my mentor. I grabbed everything else and went back to the house. I put the rest on the table and sat down and opened my letter.

Dear Silas,

I am sending you this letter to serve as a reminder that you will become my student and also give you instructions. As I am already sure you know this but I live in Laedegon at this address.
[xxxxx]
Normally mentors are required to send a carriage or provide transport for the incoming students. I however will not as I believe you don’t experience the world that way. You’ve been learning about this world yet not able to experience it first hand. So this is your first lesson you will travel on foot to laedegon. Try your best to meet people and survive as you may not hire guards.
I look forward to meeting you. -S

I don’t know how to react to that but I'm pretty sure I am about to embark on a death mission. Yet I should be able to get by with all the training I went through that even my mother put me through the paces. You would never tell looking at her but she was apparently a high ranking adventurer when she was younger.

“Silas, are you okay?”

I jumped a little bit when my mother called out to me suddenly. I just handed the letter over so she could read it. She simply sighed and said that was to be expected. That is also the reason I was put through the training too.

So with my day of traveling set for the day after my birthday one week from now. I went to check on my friends. I first went to Varlaf his house that i have walked to many times before had me becoming nervous with each step. It’s not that his family is scary, it's just that their family are really into training their muscles. I have tried picking up one of their weights and I thought it was enchanted to not move from the ground. Varlaf turned eight and I think he is worse than his parents. He heard women like a man with huge muscles in the Grumore and since he turned 12 he got really motivated for some reason. I knocked on the door and Varlaf's father answered the door with a huge grin.

“What can I do for you silas? Are you here for some weight training guidance?”

“Is varlaf here?”

He face became sad and said he knew today was our final days before separating but varlaf mentor got impatience and he left last night.

“I’m sorry to bother you then.”

“He told me to give you a message that we will always be friends and after the magic training is over let’s form an adventuring party together and become real heroes.”

Varlaf may have been the villain in our games as children but he really admired the heroes.

I smiled and excused myself and went to check in with Gli. Apparently she also left last night since the trip was a lot longer so the mentor wanted to meet before the storm season that could cause mudslides and prevent travels. I also received a similar message from her parents.

Sighing, I returned home looking dejected. My mother embraced me and said it will be fine. That we could celebrate my birthday early and I could depart also so i don’t feel left behind in this village for a week. I agreed that I could celebrate with Rosswaves too.

I got travel supplies and gifts from everyone. I got a travel bag from my mother that was capable of storing items inside through magic. It is estimated to hold up to 2 weeks of food. That food stored there deteriorated at a reduced rate. I could store raw meat for up to 3 months inside the bag. I got a knife with an engraving on it from the Rosswave's. They said it was for cleaning animals I hunted as you never know what could happen out there. The engraving was the Rosswave’s family crest. Since they cannot have children of their own from an injury Mr. Rosswave suffered when younger they viewed me as their godson.

My mother said in the morning I would receive a final gift before I leave as it needed a bit more time to be ready. After that we continued to celebrate and eventually went to bed. Looking out at the moon that I have adored since I was a child, it has dawned on me that I may not get to see this view for a while. The view of course is the moon over the trees overlooking the village. We may live on the edge of the village but it was never out of sight and was so nice looking at night.

Tomorrow I can start my next adventure after so many years.

0