2- Struggles and growth
46 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Marie woke up in the morning, her head dizzy and her sight blurry for a few moments as her eyes readjusted to the light- she was informed of such consequences when she would wake up, and they would last a while as her sight would improve and horns would develop.

But she didn’t care. Even if there was nothing to see right now, she was already ecstatic. Was she going to Soar to the sky like promised? Breathe fire? Perhaps develop a majestic set of scales? She could lift a car and help Charlie with moving things, too, maybe. Maybe she’d get another job and look for a fund to enroll in college, then? Oh, the future was bright and wonderful today.

It’s all because she took her first dose of the dragocine yesterday- no need to exaggerate or even fake things for the doctors anymore. She would make sure to stay in touch with the Pennsylvania researchers, as they would like to see her using video chats every month and in person twice a year at the least.

As Tristan suggested, she had purchased a pair of wide pants that would not hinder a tail’s growth. She was also wearing a larger, dragon themed shirt to accommodate the growing wings and had a pair of sunglasses that would hide her eyes from the public as they would change, too.

“You seem dressed for the occasion.” Erica, Marie’s friend, said. Erica and her boyfriend Roy, no stranger to HRT themselves (albeit the human type), were very accepting of Marie’s coming out and had a spare couch ready for her when she was being kicked out. It wasn’t much, but it helped her to endure the hard times.

“Indeed.” Marie said with a great smile as she picked her medicine for the day- two in the morning, two in the evening, twelve hours apart. All neatly packed for the week in a pill box. “I’ll be off now, and I hope I wasn’t too much of a bother.”

“No, not at all!” Erica replied as she packed her own bag for Westville Local College. “I’m glad I can help, and I know how things can be with apartment owners and being trans. I do hope you’ll get your own place soon, but I’m serious when I say there’s no rush and that we love having you here.”

“You’re too good for me. When I make my lair, I shall dedicate my first gold piece to you.”

Erica chuckled. She admitted that it was pretty cool to have a dragon as her friend.

==

When Marie arrived, she noticed Justin and Carrie carrying party whistles. By the time she connected the dots, the annoying yet oddly charming noise was already heard throughout the store.

“I got the message- congratulations on the new medication!” Justin said. Following his exposure to therians he became supportive of therians as he had time to learn a bit about them. In fact, he was the first to note that a certain OurVidder has been taking Dragon HRT (not that Marie didn’t know about it, but she appreciated the sentiment).

“Mhm.” Carrie approved. “I fully expect to hear from you after all we’ve done together, you know. Don’t just go AWOL on us.”

“I won’t, I won’t.” Marie said with a smile, ready for today’s shift with the people she called friends. “It’s my turn to clean things up after yesterday’s events. I had my fun in Pennsylvania, but I also have a job to do.”

“You sure do. And by god, I had it with those “human right groups” coming to protest our therian players. I mean, is it important if your opponent is a human or a dog? They’ve THRESHED you fair and square in Sorcery using a deck filled with rats.”

“I’ve seen one of them trying to preach in the street corner about how therians are abominations and servants of the devil. It really wasn’t like that before.”

“I just want to live for god’s sake.” Marie grumbled. “Can’t they just leave us be?”

 

By lunchtime, however, the street was rife with harsh voices, and the Trio had no idea what happened. By that point Tristan had arrived with a few other therian friends, who didn’t look very happy.

“It’s Friday Noon, don’t you have a shift in your call center?” Carrie asked Tristan, who’d become a regular mostly during her and Marie’s shifts.

“I had hours cut in half because of “budget cuts”. I’d go and prove it’s because of discrimination, but I just so happened to step outside and see the “Human League Block” try to shame me into just ending it.”

Marie looked at Tristan with distress- this was a blatant problem, and she was very unhappy with seeing how he suffers. She wasn’t going to be let be today.

“So, uh… any other thing to note? You know, when I stop passing as a totus”

“Totus?” Justin wondered.

“Humans who are just human. It’s like cis and straight. I learned the term yesterday and I’m in love with it.”

“So that makes me cis-straight and totus.” Justin tried to use the new term which felt a bit like a new shoe- he’d need to break it in for his comfort, but he didn’t hate it. “Anyways, you’re free to be you all the time and if anyone gives you trouble I won’t be afraid to handle them myself.”

“Or ask Charlie for help.” Carrie reminded Justin, who tended to bite a bit more than he could chew if a troublesome customer was around. Charlie made sure that Justin always got their back, but they did reprimand him.

“I can do that too, right. I don’t want to be tossed into a cell because the cop decided I was a bit too pro-minorities.”

Twenty minutes later, Human League protestors blocked the entrance- Six Gem Republic was a famous hub of tolerance where therians were explicitly accepted the moment Charlie learned they actually have therian customers. Human and therians in the store alike found themselves afraid, annoyed and/or enraged by the rabble.

 

“Keep pets and humans separate!” Was written on one banner.

“They’re called human rights for a reason.” Another sign displayed.

“Keep our children human!”

“We marched for gay rights, not furry rights.”

“Coexistence with nature, not dominance over it.”

 

Charlie counted around twenty protestors, which meant that there was an organized activity around Westville. They’d have to consult a few friends afterwards to combat the spread of it in the city, but for now they had a problem in their hands.

“Not the first time a bunch of bigots had arrived in front of this doorstep” Charlie assured the customers and the workers alike. ”Don’t engage with them and absolutely don’t try to pick up a fight with them, this place’s insurance policy is top-notch and there’s an emergency exit on the back.”

“It shouldn’t be too violent, right?” One of the therians meekly asked. Shaking in his seat, he was exhausted from all the hatred.

“Indeed. I know it’s not the best policy and in a perfect world we wouldn’t have to fight for who we are, but right now the best we can do is to make sure we have each other’s back. So just because this is not a usual situation, feel free to take a drink from the fridge if you need to calm down on the house, just to help the winds cool, okay? Meanwhile, I’d like Justin and Carrie to come help me with the people.”

“Wait, what are you saying to a rowdy crowd?” Carrie asked.

“I’ll need you to help me not cower in fear.” Charlie replied genuinely. It was clear that despite their expertise and savviness they weren’t unafraid of a crowd filled with hate group supporters that could turn for the worse.

“Do you want me to also come?” Marie asked.

“I need a person I can trust to take control over the situation, and who’s better than our local therian?”

“Do you also need me?” One of the human customers asked. “I mean, if you need numbers.”

“I appreciate the offer, but there won’t be a need. Marie, take care of people if they need it. Justin and Carrie, we’re out.”

While the human trio had been out and trying to defuse the situation, Marie looked at the others with fear. Nominally she was in charge, but she was rather shaken by the situation. Her legs felt like they were made of jelly, the screams from outside felt ten times louder and the world was spinning. Her composure was not the best. She was losing it, and there was a loud noise now right next to her.

“Would a can of Tiamat help you?” Tristan asked, his voice heard among her thoughts, offering a cold can of a sugar-free energy drink to her. Even if he was the customer and she was the worker, he stepped up to help her.

“Y-yes, of course, um…” Marie opened the can and drank it. Although the drink tasted weird for Marie, she found that by noticing the drink’s taste and how it sounds in her mouth she was shielded a bit from the world. She took a deep breath and looked slightly calmer, although only slightly.

“Better?” Tristan asked her.

“I think I am. I should be fine enough. Do you know of anything we can do together?”

“What does this shop focus on?”

Taking the hint from Tristan, Marie had considered what to do- arts and crafts, party games, going with an early introduction of Seven Seas: Pacifics… her options were fairly unlimited. She wasn’t big on leading a crowd, but she could do her job. She hyped herself up and put on a brave face because that’s how she’d stop people from panicking.

“Okay, everyone, I need your full attention- I am going to introduce the new expansion of Seven Seas on the right. Anyone who is interested is free to come. If you need something calmer and more identity-affirming, I can offer prompts and light games to get to know your friends here where it’s a bit more quiet. And it goes without saying that Six Gem Republic is here for everyone- cis or trans, gay or straight, therian or totus.”

By the time the setup of the larger game was done, the crowd dispersed. Charlie, Carrie and Justin looked exhausted while Marie was deep at work.

“I’ll introduce Seven Seas while you focus on the other thing?” Justin asked his co-worker, almost eager to get back to work after he had his head chewed by people he swore were dumber than a sack of rocks.

“Fine by me. How did you get them away?”

“Lots of convincing and telling them we’re going to sue them if they ever come here without a warrant. They were threatening us with lawsuits as well, but Charlie retaliated by making their organization illegal in the entire state if they’ll return, and I don’t think they were bluffing. We got screamed at, too, so I’m happy to see people who like me for a change.”

“I’m sorry that you have to confront them for my sake. Really am.” Marie said, ashamed of herself.

“It’s not your fault.” Carrie joined. “They were hateful. They used every slur I knew and some I didn’t know beforehand. It was a cacophony of hate, that’s for sure- they seem fearful of our kind.”

“Gay people?”

“Burger flippers with an attitude, but the point still stands.” Carrie chuckled. “I’m going to enjoy a cool can of Pepco while Charlie enjoys their beer.”

“It’s non-alcoholic, I just like the taste.” Charlie had clarified to their employees.

By the time the evening shift had arrived, they had arrived to see the activities drawing to a close- the situation had already calmed down, so they had a mercifully mundane shift waiting for them as the morning shift explained what they went through.

==

Over the next weeks, it was clear that the Six Gem Republic’s stance on therian rights would turn it into a refuge for therians from outside the city as well. Marie, who by now had grown accustomed to the pain, found passing as a totus to be harder each day as more scales would grow on her body and the horns started to come out. Once again, she found her time in the shop a welcome refuge from reality whether she was working or leisurely working on her free time projects.

 

“Ah, Marie- it’s good that you’re here.” Charlie said as she arrived.

“It’s my shift, after all. You were the one who approved it.”

“Well yes, but I am composing a list of pro-therian businesses. Do you know of any good ones?”

Marie chuckled awkwardly. She didn’t eat much outside as she tried to save money for her own apartment to rent (or at least to rent with someone) and her hobbies were comfortably represented here. And she did enjoy strolling at the city park until rather recently, but she felt uncomfortable due to seeing people wearing a Human League shirt.

“No, not really. I’m sorry…” Marie had to admit. Maybe she also needed a night out, but she felt calm on her own or with her small group of friends.

“All good.” Charlie assured their underling. “I asked some of my friends to help me with making a list of pro-therian places in Westville. I know it’s not much, but we already have ten businesses including a cafe that ended up employing a majority therian group. They’re also very vegan friendly, so I do go there every so often.”

“That’s really nice.” Marie had to admit with a gentle smile on her face. She was feeling warm and fuzzy just by hearing that- a place where she wasn’t the token therian would be good, but she was working in a place where it was illegal to discriminate against her. This alone was a privilege held only by a select few.

“Truly is. And remember- you’re making history.”

“Really?”

“Twenty years from now Westville will have a significant therian population and it’s your fault.” Mike replied while he sorted this month’s shipment of comics. He also placed the Battleaxe boxes in place. As for the painted figurines, that was Angelo’s, the new hire, job now.

“That’s how it always is- a minority brings a minority until they become an integral part of the city.” Carrie joined in the conversation. “To be blunt with you, I think that therians get such a bad rep across the country that Westville will end up as the therian capital at this point.”

“Agreed. New York is doing nothing, which is more than can be said for half the country right now.”

“I wonder how things will end in the long run.” Marie wondered. “I hope they’ll be for the best.”

“To be honest, therians are very unexpected. I know some cultures had more than two genders, but if I may be honest I am not sure they had dragons and wolves walking and speaking among them.”  Carrie answered. “This is a true game changer I can only hope will deliver us to a new golden age.”

“I hope so as well. I’d like to see more people understand that therians are people too.”

“I really hope so as well, we worked very hard on making this place work.” Charlie joined. “And when I say “we” I mean “hundreds of people who decided to lay down the groundwork for this city ", a group that includes those who work here.”

“Awesome.” Mike felt proud. “Twenty years from now I’m going to tell kids that we started it all here. If I have kids of my own, I’ll take them to visit actual dragons, too, so I’d like Marie here to help me make a reservation.”

“No promises, but I’m sure I’ll be able to arrange something.”

==

Tristan had arrived at the store for his weekly interaction with the crew and to acquire more independently published comic books also known as the “Therian Tall Tales of the Triple Threat”, also known as 5T. His appearance had changed over time as he had a friend help him with acquiring pants tailored to his tail and a shirt suited for the wings. He was now walking barefoot due to his legs changing and he had grown by at least three inches.

“I’d like the usual, please.” He told Mike, who procured his order efficiently.

“There you go, dragon boy. Any good news I should tell Marie when she arrives?”

“You know we actually talk using the phone, right?” Tristan playfully gestured at his smartphone.

“Well, then.” Mike feigned anger. “Now that I don’t have any more pretenses, any good news I should know?”

Tristan laughed. Mike’s sense of humor was growing on him, and he considered him a friend. “I’m hanging out with Marie and some of my friends this weekend and we’re celebrating because I actually found a new job at a warehouse not too far from here and they try to accommodate me, which is new. One of the guys is always respectful and actually took a selfie with me because his son loves dragons.”

“Neat-o. If things go well over there I’ll tell Charlie to add them to the therian-friendly index.”

“Well, see, about that…” Tristan was flustered. “Legally speaking the big boss is very conservative, so the person who manages my shifts has to be extra sneaky. I kind of had to give up public recognition to be able to eat.”

“Man, this is a mood.” Mike empathized. “Early on in my transition I worked at a grocery store as a cashier and then they fired me when I wore a pronoun pin. Technically it wasn’t for that, but all my written infractions were about me being late by a minute or less. Told the manager to eat sand, but joke’s on him, he still works there.”

“How long ago was that?”

“Eight months? I found a temp job and then I actually managed to get hired here. Man, you wouldn’t believe how much of a 180 it is. Carrie, got horror stories?”

Carrie wasn’t listening to the conversation that much, but she caught her name. “Horror stories from a previous job? Eh, just men.”

“Men, amirite?” Mike jokingly replied. “Good thing Angelo’s gay, then.”

“I am a connoisseur of fine men only. The unwashed masses have nothing to offer.” Angelo added to the conversation. Thin, tall, blonde and wearing glasses, Angelo was a man sought by a lot of guys, but he only seeked the best. That’s what he was saying, but he still was as single as most of them.

“As for my horror stories, none of them included my sexuality- but being a dishwasher is enough of a horror story sometimes.”

“Amen.” Tristan answered. “Did my time in the kitchen, never again.”

The four had agreed that however crappy their employment was, it could always be worse- if not because of who they are then because of what the job requires.

==

Marie really hoped she was in the right place. To be very honest, she was anxious about meeting someone outside of her home, even if it was Tristan. She wore a wide hat and her baggy clothes as she wasn’t sure if people would be friendly.

In fact, knocking at the door was very hard. She almost didn’t do that. But she did.

 

And when she opened the door, Tristan was there, smiling in front of her. He really seemed kind when they talked about this small party of theirs, and his newfound height and charisma had indeed made him look prettier. Maybe she had a chance…

And then she noticed he wore an aroace undershirt, ruining her chances for a romantic relationship. But that was okay, because she could find someone else- a guy or a girl or a nonbinary pal… no matter.

“You had an emotional rollercoaster looking at my shirt. I really didn’t tell you I’m not into romance?”

“No, but I didn’t mind it, I was just a bit surprised.” Marie tried to lie. Tristan caught on the lie, but he was flattered she was into him if nothing else.

“All good, I have some single friends around your age, a few of which you’ll meet today. I’ll introduce you to them and I assure you that even if you don’t fancy them they’re really good guys.”

Aside from Tristan, Marie noticed four people camping around the television.

“These are Jake, Lucy, Thomas and Ray, and they’re my cultists.”

“I never expected to befriend an actual dragon, let alone two.” Ray, wearing a t-shirt of the anime Dragon King, had said.

“The shirt is a bit on the nose, you know.” Thomas pointed out.

“I wanted to welcome our new member. I was told she’s a dragon, after all.”

“So yeah, that’s Ray. He’s mostly alright, he’s just eccentric.” Lucy joined. “We’re all eccentric or else we wouldn’t agree to binge watch cheesy 2000s shows.”

“Isn’t eccentric when you’re a billionaire and crazy when you’re working class?” Ray asked.

“Give it some time, Tristan is going to get a huge hoard and we’re going to be rich by association. We’re going to be like those annoying family members you never heard about but talk to you as if they’ve known you your entire life after you’ve won the lottery.”

“Speaking of which, I won my lottery” Ray grabbed Lucy’s hand and kissed it.

Marie felt touched by the exchange. “That’s so cute, how did you two meet?”

“Ray helped me with transitioning- we used to be an all-guy group before I ruined that. Then when Tristan came out as a dragon we knew we had to nickname ourselves the hoard.”

“Absolutely amazing!” Marie was ecstatic. “I’m going to call my friends my hoard as well.”

“We already took dibs.” Lucy added. “You can borrow the term, though.”

“Very generous of you. So what are we doing?”

Tristan’s wings perked as he rose from his seat, just mere moments after he got to sit again. “It’s anime night, of course. We have Dragon King, Virtua Knights and Deathly Virtues. It’s a bit cheesy but we really felt like going safe with those.”

“I can see why you’d consider them safe, those anime are classic by this point.” Marie replied.

“Classics? I feel my bones turning to dust.” Ray complained. “Any youngster willing to help me with the popcorn?”

 

While Marie didn’t have the same bond she had with the people at the store, this was a rather enjoyable experience as well. Ray also wanted to work on video game development and the two decided to keep in touch afterwards for a project.

Marie was, indeed, having fun.

2