Chapter 1 – Everything is New, Again.
39 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 1 – Everything is New, Again.

 

On a very momentous and exciting day, a favorite for the System, a clock ticked over to the start of a new cycle. The System began its initiation process for the first time in 10000 standard years, turning its full attention to the seed worlds. Its first process was to initiate an active ping against reality to give positive returns for its selection programs. The sensors it used measured imprints on the fabric of reality, scanning and collating the history of every living being. While it waited for the return of the ping, the System made sure all its processes and templates were up to date, notifying the Exchange of the start of a new cycle. 

The System had already selected its newly constructed cradle worlds, located strategically through its territory, some more hazardous than others but all structured for the growth of new inhabitants. It had to be careful in its placement and populating of these worlds, lest they become dead sectors… again.

Moments later, the first returns of its sweep came back. The System began sorting through all the data, measuring each individual against its selection criteria. Every world, every race and every being were an open book for the System. It filtered out those too young, those that had too many worldly commitments who would be a detriment to take. It discarded the criminally condemned, and those whose remaining life would be spent in penance for their crimes. It did pluck a few that were wrongfully convicted or whose crimes didn’t justify the punishment, something the System never understood about mortals and their legal systems.

The System however, selected those of all walks of life. Common bakers, conquering nobles, decorated soldiers, a man at his lowest, the village librarian, a young woman running for her life. Millions of people across hundreds of worlds in its seed universe all were put into the column marked “Selected”.

After the candidates had been selected, the System sent the invitation. Each of the selected beings would get a glowing mark placed on their hand and a message. The message was simple and had a few options because everyone deserved a choice, a chance to decline and continue their lives. The message was automatically translated to the person's native language when they received it, the System was not making the mistake of using universal common again. 

 

“You have been chosen for ascension to a newly created world. Please select from one of the following options, all current worldly possessions will be valued, and appropriate compensation metered out.”

  1. I accept and will wait the 3 days for ascension.
  2. I accept but wish to ascend now.
  3. I decline and wish to stay. 

 

While most chose to accept the 3-day delay, there were always the outliers that wanted to stay or, more commonly, those that wanted to ascend now. For beings that wanted to ascend right away, they still arrived at the Exchange at the same time as the others. The System would put them in a stasis for transporting them through the void between universes and keep them in stasis until the Exchange was ready for them. The travel was not instant, nor even as fast as the sensor ping, but it was crossing several barriers in reality over the course of a couple days. 

With the invites sent, the System began communicating with its representatives in the Exchange, receiving updates, comments, and requests from the denizens of its “working” universes. There were 2 plains, 3 if one was to be pedantic but the System did not count the Exchange as its own plain since it existed in both. After several hours of communication and planning with its representatives, the system received another sensor return. This return was from the ping it had sent at the beginning of its selection process but returned from a much more distant source. The system had to put its representative on hold while it investigated.

There, a contact in one of the extra-system universes, 2 contacts. The System checked its records and was familiar with the planet in question. Some of the System’s Godly residents would occasionally travel away from the System on something called “Vacation”. It inspected the contacts, examining them carefully as to why they would generate a return. If it was some of the Gods messing about then the System would ignore them. As it turned out, it wasn’t a case of divine hoodlums, instead it was much more confusing.

Two mortals, tagged as System beings, were living on that planet, which was a significant breach in operating protocols. The System initiated a forced ascension on both beings, putting them through the same process as the others after collecting all the information. There were some risks in forcibly recalling them, besides the compensation the System was obligated to give them, but what were the odds that one of them would be in physical contact with another being at the time? Either way it would be some time before they arrived at the Exchange, they would just have to start later than their peers. The System would let the Exchange representatives figure it out, that is what it paid them for anyway. The System noted their races, seeing that both were “Demi Human”, the other half being a race known as the Veiled.

The System looked closer at the beings it had recalled. They were very highly qualified, coming from a world with rather advanced technology. Creating a complete profile of the mortals, the system was quite pleased at what it saw. While it couldn’t outright give them everything on a silver platter, mostly due to balancing rules and contracts, perhaps the System could arrange some encounters for these unique hybrids. Then another thought struck the System, these were the first of the Veiled that had the potential to go all the way to the divine ranks.

There were interesting times were ahead for the enlightened races of the System, that was to be sure. The System itself was very pleased with this outcome, so pleased that it was humming a little tune as it returned to its work. Maybe things would change, and the stalemate would finally be broken. The cost it was willing to sink into this unexpected project might cause a delay of the next ascension, but it was sure the working universe could go a little extra time without reinforcements.

 

 

On a very ordinary and dull Friday afternoon following a very exciting Thursday, in a corporate board room somewhere in South America, a meeting was taking place. Matt was not officially part of this meeting, he was just the living shadow of his employer, Tobias. While Tobias was sitting at the table with 8 other people, well 5 people and 3 holographic projections of people, Matt stood behind him, near the wall. He was currently in his armor with his helmet sealed, rifle slung and only half listening in as his boss argued with his peers. Matt was just the personal security for his friend turned employer, a little hired help since the normal security was just awful. 

Being bored, Matt started daydreaming about his life and what choices he had to make to end up in this exact situation. Enlisting at 17 was a major part but it was blind luck that he met Tobias in training. Both of them made the choice to volunteer for mechanized infantry brigades but ending up in the same platoon was again happenstance. They both did 5 years before getting out, Matt went into contracting while Tobias was head hunted by an energy company to do R&D. They had kept in contact over the next few years until Tobias came to Matt with a job offer, one that came with a very handsome paycheck.

Turns out that corporate warfare was a very real thing. Mostly done through proxy but, it was clear to anyone who was doing what if they looked close enough. Tobias was given the lead position on a potentially groundbreaking project focusing on high yield, low waste energy production. He had turned heads with his advancement of robotics and was looking to pair it with a suitable power source. The military was of course interested since they were already using some of his designs in bipedal armored fighting platforms otherwise called mechs by everyone with more than 2 braincells.

Matt ended up zoning back into the conversation at the table as voices began getting raised.

“I'm telling you that we need to consider additional security measures. The attack last night was the most aggressive yet and this project is at a crucial point.” Tobias said. 

“We have already increased our patrols around the compound and implemented a larger security patrol cordon. Other than contracting an entire police force, what would you have us do?” shot back Bradly. 

“Well, we can look at moving additional security assets down here or we can relocate the project to other facilities.” Another board member said via Hologram. He was pushing for the project to be under him to get the additional funding Tobias had said.

“This may have been only an isolated incident, the work of those eco nut cases.” Bradly doubled down on his stupidity. “When the wall and labs are fixed we can reassess the situation via our intel networks.”

Matt was still only partly listening to this conversation, tuning in and out as he checked though video logs of what the ass hats in suits are calling “an incident”. Matt thought that “incident” was a little soft for over a dozen armed men blowing a hole in the compound’s exterior wall and assaulting the research labs. He wasn't exactly complaining, it was the whole reason Tobias hired him. It had been a while since he was in such a fierce close quarters firefight, the feeling brought back many memories. As he was once again taking a trip back down memory lane to his army days and contracting time, a muttered comment brought him back to focus. 

Pierre mumbled to the group  “Well, we could always fork him over and then our problems would be solved.” 

Matt knew this comment was about Tobias and he took a step forward to stand right over his friend's shoulder, armor creaking as he gripped his rifle tighter. He didn't say anything but imagined the impassive face of his helmet, with its ocular lenses pointing right at Pierre, got the point across. Out of the corner of his eye he saw one of the other board members flinch at the implied threat. They had all seen the video evidence of what Matt could and would do to anyone that showed aggression toward Tobias.

 

Tobias took the initiative and spoke first. “Perhaps we should table this for now, we are already meeting next week and can discuss matters then, after we have time to settle down.”

 

 Nobody disagreed, and they almost tripped over each other to get out the door. The “call in” members avatars faded away as they disconnected. Not a single person even tried to say any pleasantries on their way out the door. With everyone else out of the room, Tobias sighed as he shut his laptop. He leaned back in his chair and gave Matt a tired glance before starting to pack his things.

Matt was wearing his full assault armor, curtesy of Tobias and his tinkering. Green and brown tiger striped armor plates made of titanium-ceramic composite, over a black base layer with a fully sealed helmet. The ballistic base layer was actually a highly sophisticated suit that looked like a wet suit but was much more complex. It contained synthetic muscle fibers that allowed for enhanced movements while fully supporting the weight of the armor. There was a grid of highly conductive wire running along the synthetic muscle fibers that acted as climate control, heat was either pulled away or pushed toward the skin based on the user’s needs. Matt loved the armor despite the downside of the battery lasting only 60 hours before needing recharging or a swap.

Besides the ballistic protection, the armor also allowed him to carry a stupid number of magazines. More than enough to last a several hours long firefight, and Matt wanted every round of it. His rifle was chambered in the new 6x44mm Extreme Velocity Ammunition, or EVA as most called it, a slim cartridge that cut the case diameter by half due to its extra spicy propellent. The standard projectile was designed with an inverted jacket over a tungsten penetrator, making it great for hard and soft targets out to 1000 meters.

His rifle was his pride and joy, equipped with the best wirelessly linked optics, light and Infrared emitter money could buy. The fact that it had seen a lot of use just last night made the cost even more worth it.  Despite having over 50 centimeters of barrel, the rifle was a compact bullpup design. The normal issues with the bullpup layout were mitigated by the large magazines and electronic fire control. The extra weight wasn’t an issue when paired with his armor and being fit solved the weight problem anyway.

 

“Hey man, how about a little throwback night huh? Let's grab some pizza and beer while we play some split screen like the good old days.” Tobias said, a little excitement in his voice at the prospect. 

 

“Hmm, as long as the beer is cold and the games are good, I’m in.” Matt said. His voice clear as day through the speaker in his visor. 

“Come on man, pop the top. Work is over for the week, and you don't need to wear that helmet all the time. Honestly, I am starting to think you like it better in there than out here.” 

 

Matt had to think about it. While he had nothing against having his head and face uncovered, it didn't give him the same separation he liked to have in his security role. Still, he broke the seals and let the joints expand as he slipped it off his head. Looking at himself in the mirrored wall, he saw the same pale complexion and dark hair as he did every morning. Eyes still an odd shade of hazel and framed by a smattering of small scars, a parting gift from a grenade years ago. He clipped his helmet to his belt as they walked down the hall. 

“Hey, I got word from my lawyer that everything should be settled, and all assets are in your name as of yesterday morning.” Tobias said.

“Thanks Toby” Matt said with a sigh. “I'm honestly grateful that you were able to help. It was just a nightmare with my aunt trying to make a money grab.” 

“No worries, bro, it's the least I could do. They were good people and I know you're hurting at the loss. You didn't need that in your life and your parents wouldn't have wanted it either.”

Matt had to agree. While he never knew his biological parents, James and Kathy raised him in their stead. His mother had died shortly after he was born from some sort of organ failure, and his father didn't make it much longer. James and Kathy were an older couple living next door to his parents. They would watch Matt while his parents were working and seemed happy to do so, since they couldn't have kids of their own. After his dad passed in a work accident and no other family, James and Kathy adopted Matt, raising him as their own. They even had the adoption papers framed on the wall in the living room.

Matt's adoptive parents sadly died in a car accident on their way home from their cabin in Maine. They left everything to Matt in their will. Everything besides money was all in storage now, waiting for him to take possession. The 2 properties had sold for a significant sum and the money was just sitting in his account, a painful reminder despite the touching gesture. The betrayal from their family hurt all the worse, however.

Tobias made a humming noise before asking another question. “So, I talked to my parents, and we have an offer for you. My mom doesn't want you to be alone for the holidays coming up and dad agrees. I was told in no uncertain terms ‘You bring that sweet boy home for Christmas, or I swear I’m coming to get both of you and dragging you back by your ears’” he said in his best impression of his mom, Hilda.

Matt laughed “Haha, well with a threat like that, how can I say no? I better make my reservations tonight to spare you the pain and suffering.” Honestly, he didn't want to be alone either, he didn't have anywhere to stay anyway besides his apartment in the research facility. It was a nice place but, as with every other place he ever lived, it was spartan to say the least. He also wasn’t a fan of the climate this close to the equator, jungle being one of his least favorite environments, right next to cities.

“Bro, I know it's not the same, but you still have us as family. Whether you want it or not, we are here when you need us.” Tobias said as he stopped at the door to their apartment.

“Thanks, Brother” Matt pulled Tobias into a hug, feeling slightly bad since he was wearing his armor and Tobias wasn't. Having someone in armor pressing against you when you only had a shirt on was not pleasant.  As Matt started to take a step back, a bright light enveloped him and Tobias before everything went dark. Matt’s vision went almost totally black before a warm golden glow appeared directly in front of him.

 

2