Chapter 3 – High Class Stuff
23 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 3 – High Class Stuff

 

                Theil, Matt, and Tobias all looked at Edmond as he settled back into his seat, looking only slightly embarrassed. Matt had a strange feeling about what was going on. There was a part of him that now felt more substantial after the integration. It could be the fact he was completely whole again, but it felt deeper.

                “It is a long story and one that I will share with my client in private, after we finish these steps.” Edmond said with a knowing glance at Matt. A glance that said ‘trust me’ in no uncertain terms.  “Theil will be aware of everything that he actually needs to know for this process once he continues.”

                “Very well, let’s move on.” Theil said as he looked back to the screen displaying Tobias’ information. “Let’s see. Hmm Tobias, everything looks in order. What do you think?” Theil then turned the screen and enlarged the text box showing the information for Tobias.

 

Name: Tobias DeCamp

Race: Human

Average Level: 0 (F)

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 5

Endurance: 5

Constitution: 5

Perception: 5

Intelligence: 7

Wisdom: 5

Affinity: Void

Trait: Brilliant Mind

Perk: <Not Selected>

Titles: N/A

Skills: Common (Language), Identify (Inferior)

                Theil hummed as he read the screen then graced everyone with his thoughts. “While the base 5 is to be expected, the extra in Intelligence is probably due to the trait you have. Bad luck on the Void affinity however, not the most useful in the grand scheme of things.”  He looked over to Tobias before saying. “Any questions?”

                “Well yeah. What did you mean about the void affinity and what’s that about traits and perks?” asked Tobias. Matt also wanted to know since this probably pertained to him.

                Theil went on to explain that affinity was the element or concept that you naturally had the greatest connection to. It would be the easiest to manipulate and have the lowest cost. The void affinity was difficult to harness or imbue into anything since it had the habit of rapidly deteriorating everything it contacted. The Trait was also a natural born part. Everyone had a special trait that would influence their path. Matt then tapped the trait box to expand it, reading what it said.

Brilliant Mind

The path to any creation is laid out before you. No process, requirement or use is beyond your grasp. Develop what you desire and let your creations spread.

                “We will select perks after we find out your class qualifications and you make the selections. That way you can make an informed decision” Theil finished before looking to Matt. “Now it’s your turn.”

Name: Matt Shultz

Race: Human-Veiled

Average Level: 0 (F)

Strength: 5

Dexterity: 5

Endurance: 5

Constitution: 5

Perception: 5

Intelligence: 5

Wisdom: 5

Affinity: Plasma

Trait: Aura Dominance

Perk: <Not Selected>

Titles: N/A

Skills: Common (Language), Identify (Inferior)

                “What is plasma?” Asked Edmond as he eyes Matt’s status sheet, studiously ignoring the part that said “Human-Veiled”. Matt made a mental note to drag that info out of him one way or another.

                Thankfully Tobias was able to weight in. “It’s the fourth state of matter, typically a super-heated gas but has a density greater than air. Think of fire as a good example but not necessarily the only example.”

                Matt looked between Theil and Edmond before shrugging and taping his trait to read more. He was interested to see what a plasma affinity was but more curious about this aura trait.

Aura Dominance

You have complete control over your aura and its emissions. With the simplest urging, your aura can go from completely contained to a widespread cloud of oppression. Influence your surroundings with your will.

 

                Matt thought that sounded rather ominous, but he also had no frame of reference. Until just a few moments ago, he though auras were made up by hippies that wanted to sound enlightened. What next, crystals and chakras? He was unsure but had a feeling the knowledge wouldn’t evade him for long.

                “I noticed we both have two skills; Universal Common and Identify. Was that part of integrating?” asked Matt. He was pretty sure but just wanted to confirm.

                Theil once again got his wits about him to respond. “Yes, the Common language was imprinted on you as you traveled to this universe, everything is in this language to prevent misunderstandings. The Identify skill was granted as part of the integration. Let’s move on to class selection.”

                Matt and Tobias nodded along, still scarcely able to believe what was happening. Matt was wondering if this was some strange dream still. Tobias was counting his lucky stars at the chance to explore this new universe.

                Theil tapped his screen a few times and a new window showed, displaying a menu with the title Class Selection. He looked again to Tobias as he explained that the System analyzed them and selected some classes based on their qualifications. While they could deny the selected class and choose a different one, it was without fail the best fit at the time. Apparently future class selection and evolutions would happen as they increased in level and grade.

Please Select 2 Classes: Recommended Options

Primary Class: Forge Master (Rare)

A master of the forge leads his subordinates to great new items and equipment both from system templates and original designs. A Forge Master is the main source for design, construction, and repair.

Stats per Level:

Strength: +1

Dexterity: +2

Endurance: +1

Constitution: +1

Perception: +2

Intelligence: +2

Wisdom: +3

Free Points: +3

 

Secondary Class: Defender (Common)

A defender makes best use of a prepared position to fight from. The better the defenses of the position, the more effective the defender will be in his engagements.

Stats per Level:

Strength: +1

Dexterity: +1

Endurance: +1

Constitution: +2

Perception: +1

Intelligence: +1

Wisdom: +1

Free Points: +1

                “Well, that looks pretty decent for starting classes, one rare and one common is better than average.” Theil said as he reviewed the pre-selected options. “Did you want to look at the other classes or go with these? Again, the system displays the best fit, but you still have a choice.”

                After a quick browse for other secondary classes available, Tobias decided to stick with the Forge Master and Defender classes. The other options available were either a lower quality or a poor fit.

                “Seeing as I will be working in R&D again, what’s a good perk for that?” Tobias asked.

                “I’m not sure what R&D means but in relation to the Forge Master class I might recommend this one.” Theil said as he pulled up his recommendation.

Please Select a Perk

Cost Reduction

Cost Reduction allows the user to get a better deal on all System based transaction. Any System generated design, material or completed object will have a reduced cost in the Forge or Exchange kiosks. Any design, material or object sold by an individual, either face to face or via the exchange will not receive a discount.

                “Ok I guess that brings up my next question. What is the currency? Is it like, all barter or is there something else?” asked Tobias.

                “You can of course barter or trade directly, but the Universal currency is called Credits. We will be going to that once we get into equipment.”

                In the end Tobias also took the Cost Reduction perk, he had no immediate use for it, but it would likely come in handy in the future. Theil had been hinting at things being optimized for them and was very helpful in explaining the ins and outs of how classes and levels worked. Matt was very happy at the additional detail since it turned out they would not be getting a tutorial phase.

                Finally, it was Matt’s turn to get his class. He was hopeful that it would be a good class despite the dubious nature of his origins. As it turns out he was in for a shock.

Suggested Class:

Construct Pilot -> Skirmisher (Epic)

Construct Pilots are the pinnacle of the combat classes in the Higher Plain. While they are only allowed one class, this is compensated by the power of that class. Pilots are equipped with a construct perfectly suited to them so they can face the dangers of their world.

The Skirmisher sub class specializes in medium to close range combat. Adept at closing with and breaking from enemies, this class is considered the mid fielder of Pilot classes with ample growth potential.

Stats per Level:

Strength: +4

Dexterity: +4

Endurance: + 3

Constitution: +3

Perception: +3

Intelligence: +4

Wisdom: +2

Free Points: +5

                The room was silent except for one person, Edmond. After reading the class choice he jumped up from his chair with a whoop and began a little dance. Matt was honestly surprised at the normally placid Veiled to show this much emotion, let alone do a little dance. The rest just watched him, but Matt saw a gleam in the eye of Theil. Matt was confused at only having one class, but Theil explained that pilot classes were given extra stats and had the additional burden of the construct which would prohibit meaningful growth of a second class. The construct would essentially act as a power amplifier to Matt’s base stats, growing with him over time. Matt thought this was likely due to his experience with mechs back on earth and wondered how this would affect his class and the construct he would get.

                “Well, this is truly a momentous occasion. Pilot classes are rare but more common for those freshly integrated. I’m not sure how the System decides but you are the first pilot I have had on my books.” Theil said after Demond calmed down and retook his seat. “I think we should get the Matt’s perk selection out of the way before we talk about starting equipment.”

                Matt Ended up selecting a perk called resource generation. According to Theil, it would be extremely beneficial for the class. It was a simple, no nonsense perk that Matt could see being very useful.

Perk

Resource Generation

All user resources regenerate 10% faster. +5% per grade.

 

 

                Turns out there was a second door in the office. On one wall, a rectangle opened and exposed a short hallway which opened to a much larger space. Theil motioned for Matt and Tobias to lead the way down the hall. The hall opened into what looked like an aircraft hangar with a series of tables and a massive open area. There was what looked like an MRI machine stood on end, in one corner and what appeared to be a security conveyor belt near it. The odd-looking equipment aside, what immediately grabbed Matt’s attention was the items on the tables.

                Neatly laid out was everything he owned, All his weapons and armor, his books, electronics and even the contents of his kitchen. Everything that had been in his apartment, was now catalogued neatly before him. Matt also notices a second row of tables holding everything Tobias owned, including his half-finished coffee from the meeting room. Matt was just staring at the display before him as he heard the excited voices of Theil and Edmond coming up behind them.

                “Hey! What the hell is this?” Matt said as the duo approached. “How did all our stuff get here?”

Theil appeared to be at a loss of words, but Edmond covered for him “Matt, when the System transported you here, it also brought all your worldly possessions. It does this in case you wish to take any of it with you or wish to sell it to the System. Relax, this is where I come into a more prominent role.” Edmond shifted his gaze to Theil who looked like the wind had suddenly left his sails.

                Edmond got straight to it. He and Theil moved to a computer and began going over numbers. Matt saw bank accounts and other documents being displayed on the screen as the two dived into clauses, contracts, and regulations the system had apparently put in place. He heard the “tutorial” mentioned a few times and there was some debate over the “refusal option” which Edmond won out on. They went on for almost an hour with the lawyer bringing up dozens of items to consider. Left with nothing else to do, Matt and Tobias made use of the contents of their apartments.

 

 

                “Well, that should be everything.” Edmond said as he stepped over to Matt and Tobias who had broken out a bottle of whiskey and some glasses. Tobias offered a glass to Edmond and Theil, who both accepted gratefully. “You both are very wealthy men now. That might change as you select gear, but I don’t see how either of you will spend it all.”

                Theil went on to explain that each class was allotted some starting equipment, but it was by no means required. They could also integrate their personal items at a net zero cost unless they wanted enchantments added to them. They walked and talked their way over to the monitors that displayed the totals.

Account Balances:

Matt Shultz: 2,853,793,160

Tobias DeCamp: 5,630,145,096

Matt was not sure what that meant for actual buying power but also knew one simple fact: Big Number = Good. He saw that the total consisted of his bank account, system compensation for various rules broken and the last line of “missed tutorial” which made up a good portion. Tobias had even more from his account but also the “wrongful transportation” line item netting him 3 billion.

“So, what do we do with it?” Tobias asked.

“Well, now you integrate and shop. After that is the main event for mister Matt.” Edmond said with that perpetual smirk back on his face. He then sauntered over to one of the recliners that Matt and Tobias had just vacated, inspecting it before taking a seat. His job apparently done but still hanging around just incase.

“Indeed, if you wish to bring any items with you, you can integrate them by placing them in that scanner.” Theil said, pointing to what looked like a pair of security conveyors at an airport. “Then we can investigate additional pieces of equipment in the System shop and Exchange. I would recommend you taking your current weapons and armor as they look to be far more advanced than the usual starting equipment.”

Matt and Tobias moved to Matts tables since it had most of the useful stuff. In the end, Tobias picked out a light set of armor and helmet, covering only the torso and head along with some fatigues. Luckily, they were both the same size so the clothes and armor would fit perfectly. Then they picked out one of the PDWs that Matt had. Chambered in a straight wall, high velocity, 7mm cartridge, it had a respectable magazine capacity and good terminal ballistics for its size. Tobias ended up with clothes, a small rucksack, simple armor, weapon, some communications gear, and numerous other things. All went into the scanner and didn’t come out the other end.

Matt managed to strip off his armor while Tobias was getting sorted out. He shook out all the debris from his under suit, seeing the shrapnel falling to the ground. Then he grabbed his own soft goods as well as another weapon. He wasn’t leaving his rifle, but he decided to bring a tool that doubled as a weapon. The Tomahawk he selected was one part axe and one part industrial can opener. The back spike and pry bar at the end of the handle being excellent for getting into places. Matt Placed everything on his own conveyor and watched as it disappeared into the scanner at the end.

Truth be told, Matt felt rather silly standing there in his underwear as he fed things along the conveyor. He considered putting on other clothes but would prefer his armor if he was going into unknown territory. After a couple minutes and about ready to put something on while he waited, the machine started rolling out in reverse. The items that came back out were not exactly the same as what went in. Matt walked over to the conveyor and looked at what came back. It was all in pristine condition and had an odd feeling of quality to the items. He was about to ask what changed when Theil spoke up.

“Use the Inspect skill. Just focus on the item and it should give you a return.” Theil said. “You should now have limited access to your skills. We block them in most of the exchange to prevent any accidents and peoples privacy.”

Matt focused on the Grey-Green fatigues and window popped up in front of his vision.

Fatigues, Set (Common)

A simple and rugged uniform meant for general purpose wear in mild weather conditions. Provides no bonuses to stats. Enchantments: Self Repair, Enhanced Comfort.

                Matt thought that was a nice touch, he did prefer to wear these over his complete armor when not under threat of an attack. He hoped that he would manage to get some use from them wherever he ended up. As he looked through the rest of the more mundane items, he noticed the same theme, everything was better quality and had at least the repair enchantment. After asking about that, Theil informed him that he just had to channel mana into the item for the repair to start. The repair feature also functioned as a self-clean. Not having to worry about laundry would be a nice change of pace.

                After the more mundane items, the conveyor finally revealed what Matt had been waiting for. Without a moment’s delay, he inspected his armor and weapons.

Pilot Armor, Semi powered, Set (Rare) (Upgradeable)

This armor consists of a base layer which acts as climate control, soft armor, and strength enhancement. The hardened sections are attached directly to the base layer, providing protection against a myriad of threats. Armor is capable of sealing and providing a limited amount of breathable air in toxic environments. For maximum benefit, matching helmet must be worn. Enchantments: Self Repair, Enhanced comfort.

Armor Effects: +5% to physical stats. Resistant to piercing attacks, slashing attacks, blunt attacks chemical attacks, extreme weather.

Pilot Helmet, Powered, Set (Rare) (Upgradeable)

This helmet is the final piece to the Pilots armor and allows user access to the full benefits of the armor set. The helmet consists of hardened plates over an impact absorbing under layer. Comes equipped with communications equipment and vision adaptation for daylight, night vision (infrared) and thermal sources. Includes rear view overlay. Helmet uses Neural interface to function. Enchantments: Self repair, Enhanced comfort

Armor Effects: +5% to all mental stats. Resistant to piercing attacks, slashing attacks, blunt attacks, chemical attacks, extreme weather.

“Wow.” Was all Matt and Tobias could say as they read the descriptions. Matt couldn’t wait to try it on again and started the process of working his way into the base layer. “How does the battery work now? Is it magic or something?” He wondered out loud.

Theil cleared his throat to bring the attention to him. “In a way, yes, the battery is recharged by channeling mana into it.” He started before continuing with a little more hesitation. “I hope you don’t mind, Matt, but I took the liberty of adding the enhancements to your equipment at a small cost to your reserves of credits. All in, it cost about ten point six million. I would of course clear any significant purchases with you, but I assumed you would be agreeable to this expense.” The last statement was halfway into a question.

“Yeah, this is more than ok, excellent initiative, Theil.” Matt had just about finished up his armor when he saw his rifle and tomahawk making their way down the line. Again, he inspected the items as they reached him.

Enhanced Combat Rifle (Rare) (Upgradeable)

A rifle chambered in 6x44mm EVA, capable of engaging targets beyond 1000 meters. Equipped with optics, lights and emitters designed to function with the Pilot Helmet. Capable of semi or automatic fire to a rate of 600 rounds per minute. Fires from a 50-round detachable magazine. Enchantments: Self repair, Affinity Imbuement

Enhanced Tomahawk (Uncommon) (Upgradeable)

A simple tomahawk design capable of piercing or slashing damage. This weapon is at home breaking through either locks or armor. Enchantments: Self Repair,  Affinity Imbuement

                “Theil, I’m assuming you spent some cash on these too?” Matt asked. Getting another nod, he just gave a thumbs up which clearly confused the elf. “Good work. Now, talk to be about these ammo pouches.”

                The armor came equipped with a magical ammunition pouch, it allowed Matt to channel mana into it and produce fully loaded magazines up to a maximum of 6. The dump pouch on his belt would recycle empty or partial magazines, reducing the mana cost to create a new one. One of Matts worries disappearing with this handy solution to the supply chain problem. The grenade pouches had a similar effect, but each pouch produced a single grenade at a time. In total, he had 300 rounds or rifle ammo, 1 frag, one flash-bang and 1 smoke grenade at any given time. His tomahawk stored into a slot on his right thigh, tucking neatly out of the way and keeping the hooked blade from getting snagged on anything.

                Matt looked over and saw that Tobias had already equipped his gear and wandered back over. Matt had to admit, seeing him back in armor brought up some fond memories, terrifying memories in some cases, but mostly good ones.

                “Shall we move on now?” asked Theil. “Then we can get to the good part and make use of all this extra room and Matt’s surplus of funds.”

 

 

 

1