30
291 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'The day's event is almost finished, so i hope sect leaders will forgive me for the interruption.' 

Delegate wu apologised to the assembly while they waited.

Chang kong released his breath in long sigh when the attendant returned with Qi rong fei and Zhao li ming in tow. They both bowed at the entrance. Zhao li ming left to stand behind his sect leader.

'What happened?' He whispered a furtive question.

'We found a quicker solution.' Zhao li ming replied softly and turned his attention back to Qi rong fei.

'Delegate wu, I heard you are interested in my fan.'

'That is true. You see, I am somewhat of a collector, so I am always on the lookout for interesting items.'

'I'm not worthy of your honour. The fan is a simple flying artefact that I received as a gift during my travels.'

'Do you mind if i see it?'

'Not at all.' He untied the fan from his belt and presented it promptly to delegate Wu who turned it the fan over in his hand. He inspected it for a few minutes, muttering to himself between intervals.

'Magnificent!'

'Excellent craftsmanship.'

He threw the fan into the air and watched it enlarge to two times its original size. He walked around it to get a better view of it.

'That's an impressive artefact you have in your possession.' He stated, returning to his seat

'Thank you, delegate Wu.' He called the fan back to his side reducing its size. He hung it back on his belt.

'Elder Qi, I am quite take by the fan, now that i have seen it. I would very much like to own it. I will give you a fair price for it. What do you say?'

Silence fell in the room with his final words. Chang kong's breath that was already in his throat, halted. He opened his mouth to speak. It was zhao li ming's firm hand on his shoulder that stopped him and brought him back to his senses.

Bai li yue was back in the residence. She had kept her eye on the second elder so she knew the minute the summons arrived. She activated the jade tablet as she made her way back to the residence. A cold smile stretched her lips wide as she listened to the conversation. 

An offer had been made but it was about to be declined. 

'Ehhh…'

Qi rong fei hesitated. In the silence, he shuffled on his feet, dragging the silence longer than was reasonable. Considering his circumstances, no one pressed him. The assured smile on wu dong shi's lips faded in the long silence.

'What is the meaning of this? Qi rong fei, are you refusing the delegate's kind offer?' Thundered Lei xiao yu, finally breaking the weighty silence.

Qi rong fei ignored his question and bowed to Wu dong shi.

'I have heard delegate wu's offer, but unfortunately, I have to refuse your offer.'

'Impudence!' Lei xiao yu roared.

'The thousand bamboo immortal sect is truly daring. Delegate Wu was kind enough to make you an offer. How dare you say no. If it i was in your shoes, I would have already offered it to him for free without needing to be asked.'

'Lei xiao yu, i always knew that you were the son a rat and a snake, but I didn't know that you were also unfilial to your rat mother and snake father. This fan was given to me by my master. How can I look my master in the eye when I see him again knowing that I have broken the sacred bond between master and student, by giving this fan away?' 

The fire in Qi rong fei's eyes receded when he turned to address Wu dong shi.

'I implore delegate wu to understand my position and with kindness, withdraw the offer.' 

Wu dong shi cursed under his breath. He was currently in a troublesome position. On one hand, there was the fan. He had thought of keeping it for himself, but upon inspecting it, he knew it was a true gem. He hadn't been lying about the craftsmanship that had gone into its fabrication. Even his sect leader would be greedy to own such an artefact. On the other hand, he had to maintain his dignified neutrality. Taking the fan despite the plea would be outright theft and it would definitely lead to trouble in the future. The best solution would be to reach an agreement. A gift would be great, but he wasn't past buying it if he had to. He hesitated but in the end ambition won over dignity. If he could offer the artefact to the sect leader of the Fire dragon sect as a token of allegiance, he would be set for life. 

'I understand your difficulties, elder Qi.' 

He nodded benevolently.

'However, i can't withdraw my offer. Think of this from my position and try to understand my thinking. A member of a small sect owning a treasure he cannot protect will surely lead to danger. What happens when a bandit or an unscrupulous sect decides that they want it? You'll be putting not only yourself but your sect in danger. I am willing to take it off your hands, not for free since i am not a robber, and save you future sufferings. Do you understand now?'

'Delegate Wu is truly wise and far seeing. Sect leader Chang kong, Qi rong fei, why aren't you thanking Delegate Wu for his consideration?' 

It was sect leader lei again.

'Thank you Delegate Wu. I was short sighted. This fan is a token of my master's affection. If you hadn't informed me, i wouldn't have known that it was also a source of calamity.'

'I don't blame you. About the offer-'

He felt relieved that the matter had reached a happy conclusion but Qi rong fei interrupted him with a sad look.

'Delegate wu, i am not against selling the artefact but could you please give me a little more time? I need to contact my master and inform him that i have to give up the fan. I want to ask for his blessing before i go ahead.'

Qi rong fei's hesitation drew Wu dong shi's ire. He glanced at sect leader Lei who immediately roared his opposition.

'That might take weeks, months or years. How do we know how long that will take? How do we even know that you aren't just spouting nonsense to waste the delegate's time and escape? Permit my asking but, is this master of yours even true? If he really exists, then why hasn't he shown up to rescue your sect from its precarious situation?' 

'Lei xiao yu! Are you calling my brother a liar? Take back your words or i will forget who you are and cut you down today!' 

A red light flashed and a sword pulsing with red light appeared at Zhao li ming's side; the tip aimed at Lei xiao yu's neck. Elder Ke and elder Xuan han, sect leader lei's adjutants, seeing the threat rose to flank him, weapons drawn.

'Enough! Zhao li ming, stand down!' Ordered chang kong to his man. He wasn't sure what was going on anymore. When did Qi rong fei get a master? And when did Zhao li ming become such a hothead? 

The situation was tense between the two groups. Especially following Zhao li ming's threat. When tempers had calmed after a few minutes, Qi rong fei spoke up.

'Delegate Wu, you don't have to worry about me escaping. I never intended to. My master gave me a communication device. I only need a few minutes to contact him in private.'

Wu dong shi stroked his beard.

'Alone, you say?'

'Do you also think i will escape? Or that i invented a nonexistent person?'

'I'm sure if you'll forgive my caution. Sect leader Lei has made a pertinent argument against you.' He spread his hands wide in a helpless gesture.

'I am unable to give you the fan without asking my master.'

'I am not against you contacting your master. You can do it in front of us to remove suspicion from yourself.'

Chang kong glanced at Zhao li ming. He relaxed seeing that the elder didn't even bat an eyelid at the request. 

Qi rong fei sighed with fake discontent and rifled through his space ring. In the 6 metre squared space, he found the jade tablet that zhao li ming had given him earlier.

'Little ancestor, i hope you know what you are doing.' He muttered under his breath as he produced the tablet. 

'Delegate wu, for the last time, I request that you allow me to contact my master in private.'

He asked again.

'Request denied. Second elder, I'm beginning to question your sincerity. But it's up to you. You either contact your master immediately or continue our deal without unnecessary delays.' 

Wu dong shi's authority reflected in his voice. His patience was running out and there was so much delay tactics he could take. 

Qi rong fei injected some energy into the tablet and began to speak. 

'Master, can you hear me? It's your student Qi rong fei. Master. Are you there? Master.'

an audible groan came from the tablet and then a raspy voice of a man who had just woken from sleep 

'Rong fei, stop disturbing me. Do you know what time it is?'

'Master, I'm sorry, but it's urgent.'

'Speak.'

'Master. The fan you gave me might bring calamity to my sect.'

'Hm? Calamity? Explain? Is someone bullying you?'

'No, no, Master. It's just that i think i have to let go of the fan. Someone has kindly offered to take it off my hand.'

'Hmmm. Rong fei, let me think.'

After a short moment of silence during which nobody dared to make a sound, the voice returned.

'Rong fei, i gave the fan to you so it is yours to do as you please. I know you very well, Rong fei. The fact that you are contacting me means that you are unwilling to part with it. It also tells me that whoever it is, either is stronger than you or has a powerful backing. Am i right?'

'Master!'

Qi rong fei's voice shook with feeling.

'You know the kind of person I am, right?'

'Master!'

'Is the person near you?'

When Qi rong fei didn't answer, his master sighed. It was the kind of sigh that only a master could make. It was filled with love and even more love for his disciple.

'It's okay. just tell them no. Master will protect you.'

'Master!' He exclaimed in disbelief.

Qi rong fei cursed under his breath. 

What is little ancestor thinking? She'll protect me? She can't even protect herself.

8