59
234 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

When Bai li yue placed her foot unto the first step, she realised why meixiu had called the others stupid. A sudden weight fell on her shoulders and she quickly steeled herself to prevent her knees from buckling. Others were not so fortunate. Surrounded by people struggling to adjust to the abrupt change, shen duyi stood proud like a beacon of light. 

An arraymaster to the bone, Bai li yue, wanted to analyse the puzzle. Was it a natural difference in gravity? Or a specialised array? Her eyes constantly scanned the ground around her for clues of any array markings. 

She'd only experienced life in a one star sect so far. The difference in resources between the two was like comparing a real gem and a poorly made knock off. There was an inseparable gulf between the two sects. 

She forcefully stopped thinking about sects and arrays. She was here to take an exam, not to act like a spy sent to evaluate and make a report. This was the ideal place to focus on her sword skills instead of her array studies. 

The weight on her shoulders was constant till the thousandth step where it suddenly doubled.

Hu! Hu! Hu!

She took a few short breaths as she tried her best to withstand the increasing pressure. 

They didn't move until the whole group was used to the new situation. Step by step. One foot after the other. Meixiu had begun to sweat, but other than that, she wasn't suffering greatly under the increased pressure. When they reached the next thousandth step Bai li yue circulated more and more energy to combat the pressure that threatened to drive her to the ground. Each footstep was heavy and required concentration. She dreaded how difficult the next level would be. 

If i can't handle even this, then I'm definitely lacking. 

They met several applicants resting on the staircase to regain their energy. Some had already given up and were walking back down with an ease that was in sharp contrast from the faces of those going up the staircase. They walked with light steps garnering envious looks from those who'd yet to give up. 

When the pressure increased again, the group took longer to adjust. Their pace was good, but some of them were beginning to show some strain. She glanced at Shen duyi who seemed unconcerned by the pressure. Did he not feel anything or was he just good at shrugging it off? Being able to walk about so easily when they were all struggling was no average feat. In any case, he was impressive, she admitted to herself. 

'Isn't your brother Shen supposed to help you? What is he doing?'

'It's not yet time. We still have a long way to go. He'll help us when it's impossible for us to continue.' 

Meixiu said, breathing hard to catch her breath. She took out a talisman from her bag and breathed a sigh of relief. 

Bai li yue wiped the sweat on her forehead. She was getting close to her breaking point. She gritted her teeth and pushed herself forward. The day was half spent but they were no closer to seeing the finish line. The pressure had increased five times so far at odd moments. It had caught more than a few people off guard and caused them to abandon the hike. So far the pressure had reduced the group to a snail's pace. Most of them sank into silence filled with aggrieved suffering when a boy walking close to Shen duyi had asked for his help.

'If you can't even handle this much adversity, then you are better off giving up. I don't plan to help weak willed individuals take advantage of me. Show you are strong enough to merit it and I'll help you when the time comes.' 

Bai li yue's opinion of Shen duyi changed for the better. She'd been puzzled how so many people could take advantage of one person, but even more puzzled how he allowed himself to be used. He wasn't a pushover after all. Even though she didn't understand how he could help them, he, at the very least, was aware of their thoughts and wasn't humouring them in the name of friendship or whatever it was that was motivating him. 

'Aaw! Aaw!' 

The low cry was muffled by the material she'd stuffed in her mouth as her foot landed on the step. Her body was aching under the unrelenting strain. At this rate she was convinced that whoever created the test took perverse delight in watching people suffer. She had cleared her mind of all distracting thoughts but pain pierced her body and mind with each step. The taunting staircase filled her vision. It was her against it: a visceral battle that demanded one victor. 

One step at a time. Nothing else matters. 

She pushed through the pain once more, focusing her mind on the all consuming act of raising her foot. 

A simple staircase couldn't defeat her. She wouldn't allow it! 

Her foot rose inches from the landing. It took her entire strength to fight the pressure and move it forward. Every step drained her energy, but giving up wasn't an option. She'd already come this far. She was too determined to give up. 

More and more members of their group, like Meixiu, had chosen to use protective talismans to gain some respite from the pressure. They were thus able to continue moving forward with the group, by sacrificing talismans. Meixiu had offered Bai li yue a talisman but she'd refused the kind gesture. She was determined to face the test head on and test her limits. Until now, she still had some strength inside her to step forward. 

They were approaching the next level of steps and looking to Shen Duyi for help, but there was none forthcoming. Meixiu took out a handful of protective talisman from her never ending supply. Bai li yue had ceased being surprised by it. She was intent on pumping every bit of energy from her cells into her dantian. She'd reached a point where every step emptied her dantian completely just to be able to fight the pressure and move. In the mindless state she was in, her dantian emptied and refilled, she was past noticing the bright light that rose over her body. 

'Sister li yue-'

Shen Duyi stopped Meixiu who was reaching out to shake Bai li yue awake.

'Leave her be!'

Most people didn't know and couldn't imagine that this wasn't a simple test to climb a mountain. Only a rare few could strip away the veneer to gain good fortune while climbing the staircase. He himself had gained a similar fortune the first he climbed the staircase. He sighed. It was almost a shame that the staircase no longer affected him. Climbing the mountain was a mere formality for him now. It had taken months of reflecting for him to finally understand the usefulness of such a difficult test. He had hoped the group would gain something when he refused to help them. Unfortunately, they didn't have the will to face the challenge. They'd instead chosen to seek shelter under a deluge of talismans. 

To his surprise, she had pushed through. She'd gone past the suffering to gain the fortune. He wondered if it was possible to like her more than he did now. If she continued like this, she might prove to be worth his attention after all. Shen duyi decided to continue watching her. 

Bai li yue broke through without difficulty. After more than seven months of no progress, she had finally taken a small step forward. Her dantian increased in size and the influx of new energy reinvigorated her body. The pressure reduced to a small extent and she was able to straighten her previously bent back. 

Ahhh...

She breathed easily for a while and was able to handle the next level better. 

Dusk was approaching and the mountain presented a view that could move one to tears, but on this day, none of those present stood to gaze at the view in wonder. They were too lost in their personal ordeals to even notice the land painted by nature's talented hand. 

'If you are able to withstand the next level, then i'll help you.' 

She duyi's words elicited sighs of relief. More talismans appeared as they slathered themselves in it. There were even a few jokes that lightened the mood. Bai li yue kept up with the group that was slowly but surely approaching the final level of the stairway. The pressure was now ten times greater than the first level. She had been able to shrug it off during the first few levels, but despite her recent state, the pressure was now hard to contend with. 

I've made it this far; so there's no going back only forward. Even if i have to crawl, I'll make it to the end.

She was back to placing one foot before the other in the darkness. There was no light apart from starlight to guide them. Instead of thinking of the finish line, she looked at her feet. Every step she took meant she was closer to the peak. That was enough of a motivation for her. It proved to be a mistake when she mindlessly took a step forward and came crashing down. She had stepped into the next level without taking any precautions. 

'Sister li yue!' 

Meixiu ran to her side. 

'Tang Meixiu, stop acting like a child.'

'Sorry brother Shen. Please help her.'

She didn't know big brother shen had done it, but half of the pressure on the bodies had disappeared. She no longer had any need for her talismans.

'Please.'

'Did she tell you that she needs my help?'

'But- but brother-'

He looked over at Bai li yue on the ground. 

'Do you want me to help you?'

Bai li yue felt terrible. Her face was stuck to the ground and it took some doing to turn her face to look at Shen duyi.

'No.'

'Good! I didn't judge you wrongly. There are a hundred steps left to reach the end. Make sure you get there before midnight. Let's go.'

Meixiu looked at Bai li yue with worry in her eyes.

'I-I'm fine. You go ahead.'

She watched the group gather tightly around Shen duyi and sighed to herself when they left. She had almost said yes, but had stopped herself in time. He said there were a hundred steps left. She was confident that she could make it before midnight. She tried lifting her arms, but they were blocks of iron welded to the stone steps. 

'If I can't fly, I'll walk. If I can't walk, then i'll crawl.' 

Her fingers twitched and inched forward to the next step. She was ready to drag herself forward by the fingertips if she had to. Her sprawled body provided too much surface area for the pressure. The first thing to do was to reduce the area and move on from there. In the time it took her to finally sit up, numerous applicants had passed her by. They used extravagant methods such as talismans and magical weapons to ease their way. Many, however, joined her on the ground. They failed to stand back up after being slammed down by the pressure. 

After fighting the pressure like that for an hour, Bai li yue was back on her feet and slowly plodding forward. She'd fallen again halfway through the level and had to stand up all over again.

I can't... give up.

Shen Duyi was the first person to step through the stone arch that marked the end of the test. The group followed him through and felt the pressure over their bodies disappear immediately. Several of them collapsed to the ground in a mass of quivering flesh. He watched the sons and daughters of the prominent families under his grandfather's governance. He could now wash his hands off them. He had done his duty to bring them to the finish line, just as he'd promised his father. With their support, his father could finally succeed the post of governor when it becomes vacant. 

He looked back the way they'd come from. Bai li yue was still not in sight. Will she even make it? There was a scant couple of hours left to midnight. A figure came to stand beside him.

'Sister li yue will make it. She promised me.' Meixiu wrung her hands in worry. He frowned and went to find a spot nearby. The next test will begin in the morning. He had better things to do than worry about a woman who might not even pass the first test. 

The time was winding down to midnight and a few stragglers stumbled into view.

'Sister li yue!' 

Meixiu cried out, urging and cheering Bai li yue to the finish line. Meixiu's voice was like a lighthouse in stormy weather for Bai li yue. She simply followed the loud voice calling to her and passed through the arch. The sudden release felt strange after a full day of sustained pressure.

I made it.

She sighed and felt darkness approaching. Meixiu reached her just as she lost consciousness.

7