62
237 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I could spend hours talking about the several facilities that have been built to make sure that your cultivation goes smoothly, but i won't do that. I won't tell you how the sword tower is open to newcomers from the minute you step foot in the sect. I won't mention the vast collection of sword skills since that might be considered boasting. Neither will i mention the weekly and monthly lectures held by our esteemed elders on a variety of subjects. If that is not enough to convince you, then you don't need to hear that for the first time in history, we have a new program of private tutorials. Sword king Dai Ye who has chosen our sect for his retreat is willing to offer private lessons for all newcomers. He will answer all the questions you have regarding cultivation and the way of the sword. Friends, look in your hearts! You all know the truth of the words i haven't said. What could be better than this? My- our sword river is waiting with open arms to welcome you all. I'll be here with badges for all those who wish to join us. Please don't miss this chance to change your life.' 

The news of sword king Dai ye was an exclusive given to him by the revered elder. He had held on to the news in order to put it to good use. If nothing, it was guaranteed to sway half of the new students. 

The sword mountain sect recruiter scowled. The news had come as a surprise to him too. Many of the students would be swayed by the promise of a chance to meet a legendary sword king. He had to do some damage control even if it didn't work out in the end.

'My colleague has said many things, but don't let his words blind you. We at the sword mountain don't have the resources to hire a silver tongued people. We prefer to use action instead of sugar coated words. Our results speak for themselves. If you wish to join us, i'll also be over here with badges.' 

He finished his speech without faltering and moved off to the side just as a new group arrived at the amphitheater.

From the crests emblazoned on their robes: a river winding around a sky facing sword and a down facing sword in the foreground of a mountain, the group was a mix of elders from the two sects. They took their seats as if waiting for something to happen. The students who were making their way to the sect recruiters stopped in their tracks, uncertain of the situation, when a voice filled the venue.  

'Four hundred years ago, paragon Bai yong, gained true insight and became the chosen of the sword heaven sect.' 

None of the students had noticed the man hovering in the sky until he spoke. He landed gently on the ground in front of the wall and addressed the newcomers. An aura rippled from his body shielding the wall from view.

'Nobody has been able to match that achievement after him. The wall has been standing all these years as countless individuals attempted to gain true insight. Today is your turn. Those interested are welcome to step forward to try their luck. The rest are welcome to watch and perhaps be witnesses to a momentous occasion.'

Bai li yue was intrigued. Was this tied in some way to the record the Meixiu had told her about? Was this the reason why Shen duyi, that crazy guy, was so intense? 

'I guess being the chosen of the sword heaven sect is extremely important or this won't be happening.'

Shen duyi had already stepped forward and taken a seat in front of a section of the wall. He was now exuding a whole new level of intensity. The young lady in white and the twins joined him and chose their places. Several others did the same. 

'Hmmm... Screw it!' 

Bai li yue also pushed out of the crowd at the last second. She wasn't planning to break a record or anything but any normal student would take a chance to progress especially if it was presented to them. And besides she had to get into the habit of jumping without making detailed plans. It would give her life some of the zing it was lacking.  

'We have more brave souls this year. That is good. It bodes well for the future of our sect. Remember, concentrate on reaching the essence. That is the only way to gain true insight.' 

He reminded them as a few new students joined those already seated at the base of the wall. They didn't join because they wanted to. The simple fact that others were taking a risk and being proactive while they were passive spectators pushed them to take action. 

'If you're all ready, let us begin.'

Satisfied, the man retracted his aura and revealed the wall. 

Aaargh…

Puaah!

Immediately screams as several students coughed blood. They were pulled out immediately from the area by an invisible hand. 

Bai li yue wasn't faring any better than them. She swallowed the blood in her throat when the sword energies emanating from the wall washed over her. That wasn't the most important bit. Blades of sword energy coursed through the air in the area. She flinched when a thin wind blade appeared in the air next to her and slashed at her arm. It was followed by a slow moving wind blade. She tried to dodge it but the energy flayed her skin before the blade itself arrived, as slowly as it started but still unescapable. The pain lingered long after it had disappeared. 

Wuaarrgh!

Another person was pulled out in a bad state. Bai li yue didn't have the leisure to see who it was. If she divided her attention, she might join them on the ground.

How am I supposed to gain insight when I'm inundated by blades on all sides?

She wailed internally.

She tried her best to dodge the blades forming in the air, but it was an exercise in futility. They were too many. She was struck several tiles while avoiding other sword energies. Some bladed just whipped by and returned when she wasn't aware. She realised that she was better off just sitting still. 

More blades appeared in the air as more people were pulled out. 

The elders watched on, unfazed by the diminishing numbers. The wall's rewards wouldn't go to just anyone. It was natural that most aspirants would be weeded out. Besides the person they had come to watch was still going strong. No need to worry about the small fishes.

Already they could discern miniature phantom copies of each student taking shape in the air. As expected, Shen duyi's by far the most advanced.

'The boy is doing much better this year. Something tells me that we will be able to open the immortal sword domain soon.' 

An elder missing one ear commented, approval showing on his face. The others agreed with him, though it was still too soon to say with full certainty.

Bai li yue stared at the small faint copy of herself. She wasn't the only person with a copy floating in the air. 

Is this the result of the insight we are gaining? She wondered. The next second, a wind blade struck her chest. 

Aawhh! 

It was more painful than the others before. She was more surprised to see the copy of herself solidify to an extent before her eyes. With it came a click in her mind. She finally had an idea of what was happening. The phantom was transforming into a tangible entity with each blade that struck her. 

Does this mean that I would have gained true insight when this copy becomes a true body? And all i have to do is resist or withstand the pain? Is that what true insight is? Is it that easy? 

She verified the suspicion when the next wave of blades arrived. The first blade was a storm that threatened to sweep her away. The next one resembled an avalanche of blades that left her disoriented. After that, she felt only pain as wind blade after wind blade slashed, cut and stabbed her body. She was like flotsam adrift in an endless ocean of pain. She had lost all sense of self amidst the hurricane of blades. A sensorial landscape took form in her mind. She wouldn't forget the pain each blade wrought on her soul anytime soon. 

When she returned to her senses, the phantom copy was almost fully formed. 

At least I didn't suffer for nothing.

The joy was short lived when she found herself asking the same question. Though she couldn't discount the effectiveness of the wall, a voice in her head was telling her that the wall was giving her something that resembled true insight. The phantom copy didn't look like a fake but the thought had already taken root in her mind. She couldn't shake the feeling that the copies were amalgamations of many warring insights whereas true insight was a single complete idea formed on one's own. At the end of the day these didn't belong to her who had just copied the insights left behind by others. Going further along this path would be a mistake. She would be taking a promising shortcut that was a dead end. It would be a road that ended with her lost and unable to find or return to the true path.

She looked at the whirling blades flying overhead. Those who left behind these insights left to act as guides, but somehow along the way, the intention was forgotten and their use corrupted. She didn't know how she knew it but it rang true in her heart. She looked around her at those still seated. 

They all had aspirations as grand as hers, some even grander than hers. She glanced at Shen duyi whose copy had taken on his features. It was almost lifelike. She wanted to be a normal cultivator while he wanted to stand head and shoulders above them. 

Would he even listen to her? 

She already knew the answer to her question just as she knew what her next step was. 

To each his own fortune and destiny. Now, how do i stop this?

An idea sprung from the dark recesses of her mind.

Hmmm… It could work.

She reached out with her mind through the faint cord she could see connecting her to the copy and crushed the phantom copy of herself without a second thought. 

Aaahhrgh!

The pain of the vicious act rebounded her soul. She lost consciousness.

8