Anemone
24 8 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was that day when it all happened. While the two of us are walking in the hallway filled with orange hue coming straight from the windows.

As always, he is dragging me along to his escapades. I always tell him that it's kind of stupid to look for cute girls when almost no one remains after class. Yet he refuses to listen to me and continue to drag me along. 

It was at this time when I witness something. Something that will continue to haunt me, that's for sure. As he drags me along, he suddenly found a cute girl walking at the end of hallway. It seems she came inside the faculty room. 

As fast as he can be, he ran towards her. And since I can't keep up, the clumsy me falls straight flat on the floor. He pays no heed to me and just continues running towards the girl he set his eyes on. Of course, this made me mad even if I have feelings for him. That might be the reason why I just stand slowly and return to the library from where I should be.

Along the way, that's where I witness it. In an empty classroom, I saw a girl standing in front of the window. She is quite tall. I would say 5.4ft judging on the board next to her. Although I cannot see if she is standing on something, since only her waist above can be seen as the table is blocking my vision. 

Astonished from the beautiful sight in front of me, I tried to come closer, hoping to get to know her. That's when the moment I tried to touch her shoulders, when I actually touched... nothing. As if my hand phased through her. 

At this moment, my mind went blank. And slowly, thoughts spread through my head. Many questions regarding this specific event happening. And that's when I realized that the beautiful girl, the one I'm trying to get to know, is without a doubt, a ghost. 

Scared as I might be, I tried to back out slowly as to avoid getting noticed. And as I do, she slowly turned around. 

The moment she faced me; all my fears suddenly went away. Well, who would blame me, after all her face? That's the kind of face he makes when he saw a cute girl? Yes, that's the face of someone who just found something he/she likes. As I'm about to speak, she suddenly moves her face close to mine.

"You are my type. I won't ask you to go out with me since I'm already dead. But please let me stay by your side." The ghost told me with a smile on her face.

"What?"

I don't know what to say about that sudden... confession? 

"Wait, wait, wait. First of all, I'm a girl, and you are a girl. Are you saying you are into that?" I replied in a rather shaky voice.

"I don't see any problem with that. Yes, I am into that very much. If I am alive right now, I might have pushed you in the wall and confess on the spot. Sadly, I can't touch anyone." She licked her lips after that reply, which made me feel some chills on my body.

"Eeeeeeek!!!" I made a weird sound like a kid that got pranked by his/her friend and ran away.

"Oh my... see you later!!!" the ghost shouted back at me.

It's been 2 months since I first saw the ghost in the audiovisual room. Ever since then, she kept on coming with me every time I am in school premise. 

I learned few things about her during our time together. She is named Maki, Maki Kanaria. She is a student here in Saint Mary Catholic School. Although to be precise, she is a student in the school year 2001-2002. 

Right now, it's 2008, which makes her age probably 6 years older than me. As for why I don't know her age, she always refuses to tell me for the reason that it's rude to ask a lady about her age... anyway I also learned that she can't touch anyone but somehow able to touch me or to be precise, latched herself into me but only if I am inside the school premise, since she is anchored here.

We tried going out the school gate while she is latched onto me hoping if she can come along. But she got teleported to the audiovisual room the moment I passed the gate. She can't also go to the room 304 which is the room our class is using now.

Right now, she is hugging me while I'm reading in the library. Since I always stay here in the library as assistant librarian. And she always bothers me by asking random questions now and then.

"Hey Marie. Your name is Marie, right?" Maki asked me.

"Yep. I'm Marie Lowren. You asked me this so many times already. Please at least remember my name." I replied while focused on reading at the librarian's seat.

"It's a beautiful name. I love it." Maki smiled at me.

Seriously, that smile is so unfair. She always does this when I'm busy reading. 

Suddenly the door at library opened and a familiar voice echoed inside.

"Marieeee!!!!"

"Tsk, he is here again." Maki says as she floats above us.

"Don't be too noisy. We are at the library, remember?" I replied to him.

"Sorry about that. Anyway just now while I'm eating at the Canteen I saw another cute girl. She is quite short and the way she pouts while talking with her friends is so cute." He tells me with such excitement.

"Ho... good for you then." I somewhat replied to him while looking at the book I'm reading.

"Hey Marie. Seriously, what's with this guy. And most importantly, what made you like this kind of guy anyway? To be honest, he is annoying." Maki replied with a somewhat annoyed face while floating above me.

Yes. This guy here is Arnold, Arnold Witts. My best friend. He is kind of creepy, who loves cute girls or any stuff that makes a girl cute. 

Although he always says that he doesn't actually like the stuff but rather, he likes it if it's used by a cute girl. And he only likes cute girl which makes my feelings for him unable to reach. 

Seriously, it's been years already and I still like him. At this point, I'm questioning myself what part of him do I even like.

"And then I tried to ask her what's her number and you know what happened?" Arnold asked me while walking closer in front as his hands sliding in the table.

"She probably hit you, right? " I asked as I continue reading my book.

"How rude. Although yes, he hit me with her lunchbox. Seriously, it's too cute." He replied while looking up with sparkling eyes.

"Sigh... anyway did you come here just to tell me that?" I replied as I close my book.

"Ah!!! Before I forgot. Teacher Sara, our science teacher, asked me to tell you to bring the reference books she asked you before. In her office later at 5 pm after the teacher's meeting." He told me as he was about to leave the room.

"Okay, see you." I replied while fixing the books on the table.

"Bye!!!" He replied.

As he left the room, Maki went back into hugging me. 

"Maki. May I ask, why do you always go away when he comes?" I asked her.

"Well, if I were to give you a reason, I would say he is annoying." She replied while hugging me with her cheeks close to mine.

"Well, if you say so. Anyway I'm about to leave so I need to fix the catalogues, and the borrowed books back to the shelves." I replied to her as I start to take the books and stand from my seat.

"Ok I will cheer you!!!" she replied as she flies while moving like how cheerleaders do in the air.

"Thanks." I replied smiling since it's quite funny how she moves like a kid which is different from her image. 

After returning the books on the shelf, the head librarian came in.

"Good day sister Pauline."

"Good day, miss Marie. Thanks as always for helping me. It's getting hard to move this body of mine, I must be getting older." She replied as she slowly sits on her chair.

"It's ok sister Pauline. After all, I love reading books, and I don't have any plans aside from helping at home. So it's a great pastime for me helping here." I replied while smiling at her.

"Is that so? Oh here, have this. You might be hungry. I got this from a teacher during the meeting. Apparently it's a souvenir from a relative that came back from abroad." She hands me a bag of chocolate.

"This is so many sister. At least, I will only take 2 pieces." I take 2 pieces of chocolate and return the bag to her.

"Its fine, you know? Well, I'm surprised you took 2 pieces. Since the other one is dark chocolate, I assume that you are giving it to him? Hahaha. Tell me if you two finally got together, okay?" Sister laughs.

I blushed after hearing her say those things.

"Anyway thank you for today, sister. I'm going now. And I will bring these books to teacher Sara on my way." I bow as I tell her.

"Ok thanks for the help. Be careful on your way." Sister elegantly waves at me.

"Thank you. You too sister don't overwork yourself." I replied as I leave.

As I leave the room, Maki hugged me from behind and latched to me.

"Sister Pauline is really old now. Yet she still doesn't change at all. She is still the sister I know." Maki tells me.

"You knew her from before?" I asked.

"Sure do. She always gives me treats while I hole myself in the library." Maki answered happily.

It seems I learned something new about Maki today. I wonder why she stays in the library. But I won't pry any deeper.

After walking for a while, we reached the faculty. So I knocked on the door.

"Come in."

"Good day. Excuse me, may I ask where is Teacher Sara?" I asked.

"She is in the room at the back. Just go there. She should be free right now."

"Thank you sir. Please excuse me." I bow as I reply.

After that I went straight to her room at the back. It seems that it's quiet inside, so I knocked on her door.

"Come in."

"Good day teacher Sara." I told her as I bow my head.

"Good day, miss Marie. Did you bring the books?" Teacher Sara replied.

"Yes ma'am. Here are the books you asked. 2 reference books about chemistry and 1 book about elements and its history." I replied as I hand out the books I brought with me.

"Thank you. Anyway did you decide about joining our science club? We need talented individuals like you, especially in this month's science fair." She replied, as she put her hands at the table and place her chin above her clasped hands.

Oh I forgot. She always asks me to join the club and it's September already. Which is the time our school held the event 

"Sorry, I can't answer right now. Since I'm busy being assistant librarian and I'm not sure yet if there is any stuff needed to do for class. But I will inform you once I know." I replied to her in a polite manner.

"I'm expecting great news. Anyway that's all I want to ask you. Be careful on your way." Teacher Sara replied.

"Thank you ma'am. Please excuse me." I bow as I leave the room.

"Ha... finally time to go home." I sighed.

"Eh... are you leaving already? Lets at least go to canteen and have a break first. It's still 5pm. And besides, your house is just walking distance here." Maki pouts.

"Hm... alright just for a while." I replied.

"Yey!!! Lets go my love." Maki flies happily.

"Yes...yes..." I replied.

We settled in a place after finding a good spot on the chairs on the grass land. It is just outside the canteen, which also serves as a place where students can stay or have lunch. Then I took out the novel I'm reading in my bag.

"Eh, you are just going to read again here?" Maki told me as she floats in front of me.

"What should I do here then?" I asked her.

"Hm... then why don't you ask me a question? I might answer it." She replied as she settled on the chair in front of me.

"Then what do you like about me. I mean, I'm as plain as anyone can see. I always read books. Appearance wise, there is nothing notable in me aside from my slim figure, since I always have these twin braids and I'm always wearing glasses. And besides, I'm not even athletic nor have many friends to begin with. In fact, only Arnold and you are the ones I always talked to." I asked her.

"Hm... If I were to answer that question, probably it has to do with my tastes? After all, even when I'm alive I always love girls. I had this girl I loved before but." She looked down.

"But?" I replied, since I got curious.

"Nah, forget it. Let's just say that it's because of my preference." She smiled at me.

"Well, let's leave it at that then. How about, may I ask, how did you die? Did you..." I asked in a low voice.

"Sorry I can't... but I can at least tell you this. I did not die from suicide. So you don't have to feel down. And thanks for always hanging out with me even though I'm practically forcing myself into you." She replied with a smile.

As always, she is really beautiful when she smiles. Her long black hair that reaches her back, flutters in the air. Combined with her rich lady-like manners when she is acting like that.

Although she looks childish when she acts funny. But right now I wonder why. Even though it's the smile she always wears in front of me, just now... she looks so sad. 

"Its fine. At the very least, I find you entertaining. So thank you for talking to me when I always spend my time alone." I smiled back at her.

"Oh my, I love you!!!" she suddenly confessed as she tries to hug me.

"Except when you act like that." I replied while shaking my hand in her face.

Seriously, you are so funny. I'm thankful for your company. And I hope the time comes when you finally tell me about yourself.

As we start to talk random stuff, Arnold came to my sit.

"What are you doing here alone? You should have called me." Arnold told me.

"Well, I just arrived here and I don't know where you are." I replied while looking at him.

"Don't tell me you forgot. You have a phone, right? You could have just sent me a message or called me since it's fine to use phone when outside the class." He replied.

"Oh. I forgot." I answered.

"Silly you. That's why I can't leave you alone. The moment I'm not here you always spend time alone without a care in the world." He replied as he sit beside me.

Eh there are other sits right there, so why are you sitting beside me. Aaaa wait... calm down myself. Don't panic. This is normal. 

"Hm... are you okay?" He asked me while his face is close to mine as he stares at my face.

"Wh.. what? I.. I'm fine." I replied in panic.

Aaaaa too close. Too close.

"You sure? Well, if you say so. Anyway you going home? Let's go together. It's dangerous to walk alone at this time onwards, especially for a lady." He asked.

I positioned myself in the chair as to calm myself and replied.

"Yep, I'm about to. Oh, before I forgot, here." I replied as I hand the chocolate I took from my bag.

"Oh, this is dark chocolate. My favorite! Thank you Marie." He replied, smiling.

Aaaa... that's too much for my heart... my mind blew just now. 

"A.. anyway let's go now." I said as I stand and take my bag.

"Yep, let's go. Oh, did you know? Before I came here, I saw 2 cute girls talking on the flower field. They are so cute talking while holding flowers. The other one you know, she put a flower on the other's ear and it's so cute. Aaaa I want to know their number. Maybe one of them want to become my girlfriend. Hahahaha," he told me.

"Yeah sure. Must be nice." I replied.

Seriously, why do I even like this idiot?

As we are leaving, I saw Maki flying in the air, so I waved a little to her direction and she waved back before flying directly to the audiovisual room on the 5th floor of the building.

5