1197 – 39th Central Sun
33 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As the pale golden rays of the dawn’s glare illuminate the city of Istakhr with a warm glow, the sun finds itself being observed by a young woman. Tall and almost gaunt, her frame extends well out of the bedroom window, eyes straining against the light, taking in the beautiful desolation of the city in the desert mountains. Dressed in a deep brown robe and with a sun-soaked complexion, she is almost invisible against the brown stone of her home. Watching the sun rise or set were perhaps her favorite parts of the day, and certainly the most serene. The life of a Consulate Healer, even an apprentice, is seldom graced with a moment of peace while performing her duties.

For indeed, the woman, barely more than a girl, is blessed with the gift of healing magics. The Priestesses say that all magic, regardless of nature is a boon from the Goddess Aria, but Azadi considered herself especially lucky. Those admitted to the College of Healing were guaranteed an education and a high standard of living, but for Azadi, the opportunity to aid those in need was an equal passion. As she gazed out over the awakening city, these thoughts buzzed around the edges of her mind, caught up in the morning spectacle.

The College suited her in other ways as well, she mused. I can avoid awkward conversations with other people, for example. There’s no need to charm my way into anything here. A few questions, then just work. Conversation had never been one of her strong points. At least here I can contribute and no one expects me to have a family either. Father would be ever so disappointed...

As she mulled over her lot in life, a striking figure in the streets below caught her attention. At least I wasn’t selected to be a Priestess, she thought, eyeing the elegant, blue robed woman below her. They are all so graceful and beautiful. I would stick out among them like a crow hopping around stalking cats. Azadi stuck out from most crowds, despite her best efforts to the contrary. Half a head taller than most women in the city, and with almost no weight on her bony frame, other healers could spot her even in drab robes from across a crowded room.

Shaking her head to clear the meddling thoughts from her head, she turned away from the now bustling streets. I need to get to the main hall for my duties. Awkwardly bending under the curtain, she moved quickly down the residence wing to the assembly room of the college. Most of the healers and apprentices had gathered already, perhaps thirty in all. Azadi slipped into a corner and waited for direction.

The College, while not the most spectacular building in Istakhr from the outside, was quite well equipped on its interior. Azadi’s favorite activity while waiting in the main hall was to read the inscribed stone tablets relating instructional knowledge hanging from the walls. Naturally curious, the ever changing array of tablets provided her with an outlet for her investigative side.

Almost as soon as she settled in to begin reading however, the Master Healer, Farzan moved to the front of the room and began to direct the daily assignments. As he worked his way through the room, Azadi continued her reading ritual, waiting her inevitable turn. Eventually, she was one of a handful of healers left when the diminutive Master stopped in front of her.

Azadi, I would like you to aid Master Sanaz tending to the architect and his workers today.” An architect had been instructing his workers how to properly install roofing when the roofing they had been standing on collapsed. The simple irony of the situation had given Azadi some mildly inappropriate giggling fits after hearing of the incident. Even now, the thought brought a smile to her face. “Try not to poke too much fun.” Farzan reminded her, a slight smile on his face as well.

Arriving in the low risk infirmary, Azadi joined a group of apprentice healers gathered around a worker’s bed. “Ah, Azadi, that makes the whole group for today,” said Master Sanaz. The old woman was sitting at the head of the cot, talking to the small group. “Now, as we can see, this man has suffered no external injury, but a broken calf bone. Shahin, what would the field treatment for such an ailment be?” Sanaz preferred a question and answer method of teaching, much to Azadi’s chagrin. At least she didn’t ask me this time. Shahin prefers the attention.

Master, I would create a splint from a stick or branch and wrap it tightly to the leg to straighten it,” replied the ever eager student.

Very good Shahin, but the splint is only the first step. A splint will help the bone heal correctly, but a crutch should be fashioned to aid in movement while splinted.”

Shahin nodded respectfully. “Of course Master.”

Now, that is the simplest method. However, a sufficiently talented healer can mend the bone with the use of her magics.” Azadi sneakily looked at the other apprentices. She was the only woman in the group. She means me doesn’t she, Azadi sighed inwardly. While not necessarily the most intelligent or wise of her peers, she was by far the most magically gifted. Lessons are never boring when you're used for demonstrations. As expected, Sanaz turned her eyes on Azadi.

Perhaps Azadi would like to give a demonstration. Would you step to the bedside please?” Instantly, she felt heat rise in her cheeks. A thousand imaginary eyes, and a few real suddenly seemed to be boring into her head from all directions. Reluctantly, she moved to the bedside. While she felt it was her duty to use her talents to aid, the spotlight was far from her comfort zone. If she could, she would heal patients from behind a curtain, effectively invisible to all who passed by.

Now, to properly fix this break, the bones must be set in the right position, or the mending will cause long term problems. This fracture is a difficult one due to the severity, so delicate care must be used when stitching them together. Begin the process if you please.”

Swallowing the dryness in her mouth, Azadi reached inside, to the wellspring of energy in her gut, usually dancing on the edge of conscious thought. Concentrating, she brought the energy into focus, letting it flow up her body and down her arms to her palms. Golden light began to glow from her fingertips.

Good, now direct the energy into the bone,” explained Master Sanaz. “Feel the breaks and allow the magic to infuse them.” Azadi barely heard her as she focused on the task at hand. She knew that the instructions were for the observers, not her. Sweat began to collect on her brow as she willed more energy into the man’s leg, letting it pool and collect in the bone fractures, congealing into a supporting structure. Using healing magic was often an intimate moment, being able to feel a person’s body as only they could, a fact she tried to ignore while not performing the act. It was strange and unsettling to her to pass someone in the street with whom she had such intimate contact.

To the outside observer, the scene would make an almost painting like tableau. Apprentices observing intently, attempting to put off even blinking so that every move might be seen. The man, shrouded by a blanket, save for his leg, trying to hold as still as possible. Master Sanaz, offering verbal instruction while keen eyes dissected the process. Beads of sweat on Azadi’s brow, and the wispy gold strands of healing magic comprised the only movement. Golden motes danced on the bed and reflected off the walls for what seemed like an eternity.

Gradually, the bone began to reform. Master Sanaz’ voice continued to give instructions, but she tuned it out, preferring to operate by feel as opposed to textbook practice. Pulling away, she finished the final touches, swaying slightly against the sudden wave of fatigue that washed over her. Wiping the sweat from her brow, she nodded feebly at Master Sanaz.

Now let us inspect the healing. Each of you should come over and inspect the mend up close. It is difficult to judge the quality of repair visually, so feel must do. Be gentle, even on a well managed repair, contact can cause discomfort or undo the work that has been done.” Azadi released the leg and fell backwards into a nearby seat, thoroughly exhausted. Wielding the magic always took a great deal of energy. Bone breaks were especially difficult.

Now Shahin, how does the mend feel?” Of course he’s first in line, thought Azadi. He should have been a politician with all that ambition. Too bad they don’t test for that in the Trials Master it feels like a good repair,” he replied. “Quite a strong one in fact.” Azadi managed a small smile at this. For him to admit that means I did a really good job.

Well done Azadi,” came the acknowledgment from the Master Healer. “Take an hour break to recover, then we can continue. The next apprentice should inspect the leg.”

Azadi slumped back in the chair further and let her mind wander while she regained her strength. I’m almost ready to be a full fledged healer according to Master Farzan. I wonder if they are going to stick me here because of my ability? The prospect was equal parts appealing and off putting. I know I must use the talents the Goddess gave me, but I feel like one of these days I’ll just keel over after healing someone. I almost overdid it today as it is. As she basked in thought, she dimly observed the other student healers inspect the wound and mend, then move down the hall to other patients to practice splinting or healing magic. Only when her name was almost shouted by Master Sanaz did she begin to pay attention to her surroundings.

Azadi!” Sanaz exclaimed again. “Truly excellent work!” Shaking the clouds from her head, Azadi gave the Master an inquisitive look, not sure what to expect. Sanaz shook her head in disbelief right back. It was one of the first times Azadi had seen the old woman surprised. “You did not inspect your own work did you? I should have known when the other apprentices said it was a strong mend.” Still out of the realm of comprehension, Azadi just stared at her. “You healed the bone like it was never broken!” Drained after the effort, Azadi could barely manage a smile.

Child,” said Master Sanaz. I hate it when they call me that. You just might be the most talented healer I’ve ever had the pleasure of teaching.” An uncomfortable warmth spread to Azadi’s cheeks. She looked down at her feet, avoiding the Master’s eyes. “It is not something to be ashamed of,” said Sanaz with a gentle smile. “Truly, you have been blessed by Aria.” I'd prefer to be maybe a little less blessed.

Shifting in her seat, she tried to downplay the act. “Master, that can’t be true can it? Surely you or Master Farzan are far more capable than I am.” She looked questioningly at the instructor, hoping it was the case. Sanaz smiled and leaned back in her chair.

Child, your talent is a kiss of rain in the desert, not something to be set aside. Perhaps one of my fellow instructors is a more powerful healer than you, but certainly none of us possessed your skill at such an early age. Now I must go observe the other apprentices. You should take the rest of the day off, you have earned it.”

As she departed, Azadi slipped deep into her own thoughts. It’s easy for her to say that. She hasn’t been looked at her whole life like some kind of freak. Standing out isn’t always a good thing. Everywhere I go it’s always ‘let’s stare at the tall girl’, or 'laugh when she hits her head. Agitated, she sprang up and shoved the chair backwards tipping it over and causing a crash. She winced at the noise she had made. The furniture around here doesn’t even fit me. Everything singles me out. Dejected, she plodded back to her room.

Dusk found her in the same position as dawn, observing the city’s daily transition. The mountains, a bright purple contrasting with the deep orange of the cloudless sky soothed her mind. Maybe I should go live in the mountains, she thought ruefully. I won’t stand out there.

Yet, even as she wallowed in self pity, she knew Master Sanaz was correct. Her talent was a great blessing from Aria. Life would be much worse without it.

Shaking her head, she pulled her eyes away from the scene and flopped down to bed. Another busy day tomorrow. Let's hope our citizens can keep themselves in one piece for once, she thought. Within minutes, she was asleep, still illuminated in the faint twilight glow.

0