Chapter 34: Sun
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"What exactly happened?" The great elder turned to Gian, his questions capturing the attention of everyone around.

"Yes, we want to know. Why did you leave Freud?" Folk added, his tone slightly harsher, revealing genuine concern.

"I... I wanted to take a look outside," he said in a low voice. The great elder sighed. Something like that was bound to happen sooner or later. They had all lived their lives in this place from birth until now, never venturing beyond. Even the great elder couldn't deny his own curiosity.

"If it wasn't Gian, someone else would have gone out of curiosity. Did you find something there? Could you leave the forest?" someone eagerly asked, eyes filled with anticipation, including the eldest. Amarok was baffled to see such a trivial matter provoke such intense reactions.

"It's fine now that you're here. Just in time for the whistle. What lies outside the forest can wait," the great elder added, compelling everyone to suppress their curiosity. Some frowned but didn't dare to disobey the great elder. Soon, Folk returned to the hall, trailing a dazzling coffer.

"Each year, we blow the whistle to thank the protector for everything," Yuni, by Amarok's side, explained. Amarok's mood had settled, and he observed with curiosity.

"It's all thanks to the protector that our town has prospered all this year. It's time to be grateful," the great elder added as he led the way. The whistle, made of polished wood with a brown color, lay in a cushion of white cotton, exuding an otherworldly vibe.

One by one, the people of Freud approached the whistle. "Me too?" Amarok asked, a little unsure. The great elder nodded.

After that, the feast could finally resume. Later that evening, Amarok held Wisdom in his arms, staring at the great elder and Yuni. Mist, standing a little further, looked much healthier with only a few bandages on her shoulders.

Neo bowed, expressing gratitude to the great elder for everything.

"Is Dwland not here?" Amarok asked, a little disappointed. He had barely seen the little boy after the feast.

"No idea. He refuses to leave the sacred grounds. Don't mind him. He, or rather, I am just very sad to see you leave," Yuni said with a forced smile.

"Go now, and may you find what your heart truly desires," the great elder waved.

Amarok blinked, unsure of what he meant, but nodded and left. He exhaled, moving forward without looking back.

The trio left Freud, walking in a straight line. The black-winged eagle could not fly here for a reason they were still unsure of. It carried Mist and their belongings while Neo and Amarok worked ahead.

They were silent as they moved; no one said a word. Amarok felt it was very strange. The trio worked for a few hours before finally seeing an end. At the horizon, a clear separation appeared, with the sun shining brightly outside the forest, contrasting the comparative darkness within. A faint wall of fog separated the end of the forest and the area beyond.

The roots were huge, covering the whole ground, and the leaves hung high above, appearing like stairs in the void.

At the forest exit, the roots had curved into a ring shape to form the exit of the forest. The leaves were very strange; each time the winds blew, they fell as if whispering something.

"Wait for me," a sudden voice echoed. The trio was baffled; behind them, Gian was there.

His eyes had turned all red, and his frame seemed to be morphing, with his hands and nails turning sharp.

"What are you doing? Return to Freud. Your body," Amarok was startled and quickly said. "I want to see what is beyond," a hoarse voice came out.

"You can't do that. If you keep on, you will lose your sanity," Neo suddenly interjected. He knew the people of Freud harbored a dreadful curse, but this was the first time he saw it. Gian barely looked human anymore.

Gian shook his head; the exit was just in front of him. "I have searched for this place my whole life. My father always thought I accidentally got lost in the forest, but I was searching for this," he said, stepping forward. "I never understood why I couldn't find the exit despite having searched every inch of this damn forest."

"Stop, your body has just returned. Think of Yuni and the others," Amarok tried to persuade.

"Returned? Who told you I wanted to return to that little place? I want to see beyond, just like our ancestors once did. They could leave this place, and today I will too," Gian stepped forward with even more conviction. His heart was beating violently, his pupils contracting. He felt immense pressure falling on him, trying to tear him apart. His soul was being tortured, but he kept on. It was just there after so many years, just a few more steps.

"No, let him be," Neo held Amarok. He could understand what Gian felt. They had all been robbed of their freedom from birth. They had never had a choice, all cursed to live in this forest until their bodies returned to dust.

For Gian, nothing was more important than trying to break free from those invisible chains, even if it meant losing everything in the process.

He was willing to endure hell just to feel the rays of the sunlight for once in his life. Amarok's heart ached as he stared at the scene. He felt his soul burning. Gian wasn't entirely different from him. Who could be so cruel to impose such a thing on them? He tightened his fist. Mist too was shaken as she stared at the defiant Gian.

Each one of his steps was like a knife in their hearts. All they could do was stare at his agony. His breathing turned more and more unstable. Once he was finally in front of the ring-like exit made of roots, he raised his hand outside.

He smiled as it started evaporating into nothingness. So this was what the sun feels like, he murmured to himself. A smile appeared on his face as his consciousness vanished.

0