Chapter 49: Facing The Truth
39 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"I guess I came back at the wrong time. You two should continue."

Huang Tianzhen had returned and found the two sisters playfully fighting, a scene that was quite endearing. Honestly, he wanted to watch a bit longer, but he knew better; if he did, the "tigress" would lash out.

"Since you're back, hurry up and make us something to eat." Caught in such a playful moment by Huang Tianzhen, the sisters felt a bit shy. They quickly stopped their tussle, straightening their clothes, careful not to reveal too much.

"Sure, I can handle it."

The moment Shen Hanyue adjusted her skirt, Huang Tianzhen still caught a glimpse of her fine white legs. Internally, he was stirred, but he dared not show any hint of impropriety.

Afraid of being noticed by the "tigress" beside Shen Hanyue, Huang Tianzhen was unaware that Shen Hanyue had already noticed his fleeting glance, her ears turning bright red.

"What's the matter, Xiao Yue, why are your ears so red?" Shen Hanyan noticed her sister's blushing ears, checked her forehead to rule out a cold, and then curiously asked why her ears were red.

"It's nothing, maybe it's because you tickled me earlier and I couldn't breathe well, causing my ears to turn red."

Shen Hanyue didn't tell the truth, casually fabricating a reason to fool her sister.

Meanwhile, she stole a glance at Huang Tianzhen.

Caught, how embarrassing~ Huang Tianzhen, who was preparing food, trembled slightly in his hands but covered it up well, showing no signs of nervousness.

He continued to play the role of the good guy doing what he was supposed to do.

During mealtime, Shen Hanyue seized a moment when her sister wasn't looking and whispered in Huang Tianzhen's ear:

"Big brother, do you think my legs look nice?"

Huang Tianzhen froze, now in a predicament. What could he say? His mind screamed: ‘the sister is also a violent tigress…’

The younger sister appears obedient, but once you get to know her better, you find she's mischievous, and loves to play pranks, a real little rascal...

By the time Shen Hanyan turned back around, Huang Tianzhen and Shen Hanyue had already resumed their innocent facades.

This brief interlude created a little secret between them, inadvertently bringing them closer.

Unfortunately, Shen Hanyan, the older sister, had no idea that a little traitor had emerged by her side.

Time slowly passed, and whether due to bad luck or someone meddling behind the scenes, Huang Tianzhen and the Shen sisters didn't encounter a single soul for days.

"This meat isn't good, make another batch."

"Why are you so slow? Does it take that long to hunt?"

"What are you looking at? Keep looking and I'll hit you."

For some reason, Shen Hanyan's temper had become more volatile over the past few days, puzzling Huang Tianzhen.

"What's gotten into your sister these last couple of days? Why is she so quick to anger?" Curious, Huang Tianzhen quietly approached Shen Hanyue to inquire.

"Um... my sister, she's, uh, having her time of the month." Shen Hanyue's cheeks reddened and she glanced away shyly as she spoke.

"Her time of the month? What's that?" Huang Tianzhen asked, cluelessly direct.

"It's something women go through every month." Shen Hanyue blushed and quickly walked away after dropping the hint.

"Oh..." Realizing what she meant, Huang Tianzhen went to the fire pit to prepare something, then walked over to Shen Hanyan with a bamboo cup.

"What's this for?" Shen Hanyan looked puzzled at Huang Tianzhen.

"Drink more hot water."

There was silence fell for a moment.

Nearby, Shen Hanyue, hearing Huang Tianzhen's advice to "drink more hot water," looked around half-expecting to see a tombstone rising nearby.

She figured Huang Tianzhen might soon meet his end at her sister's hands and deserved at least a proper marker for his troubles after all his efforts.

"I told you to drink more hot water, told you..."

As Shen Hanyue predicted, Shen Hanyan's expression darkened. She stood up, kicked Huang Tianzhen down, and started punching and kicking him, particularly targeting his face.

"Why are you hitting me? It's true that drinking hot water helps during that time."

"Why can't you be reasonable? I was just trying to be nice." Huang Tianzhen felt terribly wronged; he couldn't understand what he had done wrong. His good intentions seemed only to have led to his beating.

"Let you be nice, let you care! Who needs your fake pity? And who cares if I'm unreasonable—you just met me!"

Each of her words was punctuated with a punch. No matter what Huang Tianzhen said, Shen Hanyan's fists were his only reply.

After a while, Shen Hanyan finally calmed down and stopped to rest, accepting a cup of hot water from her sister.

With his face bruised, Huang Tianzhen saw Shen Hanyan drinking the water her sister had handed her and felt even more aggrieved.

Isn't she drinking it now? What, was my water poisoned?

Feeling utterly wronged, Huang Tianzhen retreated to a lonely corner to sulk.

"You really are silly, why provoke my sister like that at such a time?" Shen Hanyue patted Huang Tianzhen on the shoulder, as if consoling a small dog.

"It's not my fault, she's the one who's unreasonable."

"A good deed never goes unpunished; I shouldn't have tried to be nice." Disheartened, Huang Tianzhen didn't want to say more. Life was just too hard.

"You still don't understand women's hearts. It's okay. You can learn more slowly in the future." Shen Hanyue patted him a few more times and then hopped away cheerfully.

In fact, she had come over to see if Huang Tianzhen, with his two black eyes, looked like a Tetsucabra as a consolation—her comfort was just incidental.

"Sis, you're getting quite skilled at beating him up. You've really turned him into a Tetsucabra."

Mischief sparkled in Shen Hanyue's eyes as she quickly sold Huang Tianzhen out to her sister.

"He deserves it. Who told him to be so annoying?"

"Sis, but he was actually caring for you. Didn't his actions over the past few days move you at all?"

Shen Hanyan was unexpectedly silent at this.

Her sister's silence left Shen Hanyue in disbelief: Her sister should have immediately retorted. Why the silence? Was this really her sister?

"Stop asking such boring questions. He may have many good qualities, but he's not my type; otherwise, I wouldn't have hit him so hard."

Shen Hanyan's gaze was evasive, clearly hiding something inside.

"Sis, you're afraid he'll forget you, that's why you beat him so hard, right?"

Shen Hanyue had figured something out, looking at her sister in utter disbelief. It seemed her sister might actually have feelings after all.

"You, what nonsense are you spouting? He's just an outlet for my anger. I hit him because I want to, what has it got to do with the nonsense you're thinking?"

Shen Hanyan was clearly flustered.

"Beating him so severely just once suggests you'll soon let him go. But sis, can you really bear to?"

Shen Hanyue directly asked.

"What's there to bear? He still has to find his fiancée. We can't keep him from that."

"Let's just let him go once we reach the next town and rest a bit." Facing her sister's piercing gaze, Shen Hanyan no longer hid her feelings. Acknowledging her own emotions wasn't hard, but initially, she had chosen to conceal them.

"From the first day I noticed something strange about him, I knew he would eventually steal your heart, sis. I just didn't expect it to happen so soon."

"Sis, why don't we knock him out and take him back to the valley? After all, he's seen us, so he should take responsibility." Shen Hanyue playfully suggested, half-serious about the idea.

 

3