Chapter 4: Inescapable troubles
40 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

  At this moment, the woman's arm, white like lotus root, is wrapped around his waist, and under the towel blanket, a pair of voluptuous breasts are pressed against his thighs, their delicate touch as smooth as velvet. Her fair, tender thighs carelessly straddle his lower body, revealing an enticing crease that still bears traces of last night's indulgence.

 

  With the woman's innocent and stunningly beautiful face in peaceful sleep, Caelan Dwayne can't help but think that among all the women he has seen in his life, this woman has the potential to be in the top three.

 

  As Caelan Dwayne marvels at this divinely gifted, art-like female body, his peripheral vision suddenly catches sight of dried red bloodstains on the bedsheet at the foot of the bed!

 

  His mind is momentarily disturbed, Caelan Dwayne frowns and looks at the still-indifferent woman, somewhat surprised. The blood certainly isn't his own, which he did not expect; the wild beauty from last night, it turns out, was still a virgin.

 

  Thinking back, many things become clear. Caelan Dwayne quickly realizes that the woman's forwardness and indulgence last night were likely due to drugs administered by the bald group. If it hadn't been for his accidental intervention that scared off the group, this raven-haired beauty would have become the prey of the bald men. It was also because he had drunk alone and gotten drunk last night, not noticing anything unusual when he came home and went to bed.

 

  As Caelan Dwayne sits on the bed contemplating what to do next, the woman lying on him finally wakes up.

 

  The woman opens her eyes, slightly bewildered, and gently lifts her head only to see Caelan Dwayne looking at her indifferently.

 

  The man in front of her is very unfamiliar, yet she feels somehow familiar. The air is filled with a strong male scent and a certain muskiness. Struggling to piece together what happened, fragments of last night's scenes come to mind... The woman quickly understands what has happened!

 

  Caelan Dwayne, now aware that this woman isn't a prostitute, is curious about how this woman will react—will she scream, curse, call the police, or perhaps try to blackmail him? If so, Caelan Dwayne wouldn't feel the slightest guilt; if it weren't for him, she would have faced an onslaught from a group of men, and her misfortune could only be attributed to her carelessness, having strayed into a dangerous area.

 

  Unexpectedly, the woman's response is strikingly composed.

 

  She slowly sits up, and under the faint sunlight, as he discards the blanket, her body appears like a sensuously carved white jade, delivering a visual impact that causes Caelan Dwayne's breathing to deepen instantly. Her body bears traces of biting and slapping, marked by red imprints, along with some sticky residue left by the men, inciting lascivious thoughts.

 

  Unembarrassed, the woman gets out of bed completely naked, even allowing glimpses of her private garden.

 

  It is precisely this detached calmness that suddenly weighs heavily on Caelan Dwayne's heart, and after taking a deep breath, he says, "I'm sorry."

 

  The woman, while turning around to put on her undergarments, pauses at these three words but doesn't respond or turn back, continuing to dress herself.

 

  Caelan Dwayne refrains from saying more, but a sense of suffocation presses down on him like a heavy stone, as he hasn't felt such guilt over bedding a woman in many years. In the past, women were often no more than healing agents for him, hardly considered thinking beings. Suddenly, this one-night encounter leaves him fraught with complex feelings of remorse. He begins to wonder if he has grown too lax, losing touch with reality.

 

  Within five minutes, the woman finishes dressing and tidies herself up, masking any signs of the previous night's events. She then silently heads towards the door.

 

  Seeing her leave without a word, Caelan Dwayne can't help but ask again, "Do you know your way around? Would you like me to see you off?"

 

  This time, the woman doesn't even pause, simply walks out the door, closing it behind her without a glance back.

 

  Caelan Dwayne stares blankly as the door shuts, unable to help but smirk wryly; this woman truly stands out among all he's encountered in his life. However, when he attempts to get out of bed, his exceptional hearing picks up a stifled sob echoing from the hallway...

 

  It seems she did cry after all, just not wanting him to witness it. Unfortunately for her, she was unaware of his superior hearing, and thus couldn't avoid being detected by him.

 

  The thought that the woman had been holding back tears moments ago amplifies the guilt within Caelan Dwayne's heart.

 

  After a brief moment to compose himself, Caelan Dwayne remembers that he has to open his lamb skewer stall. Though the stall doesn't earn much money, what he cherishes most is the experience of observing the hustle and bustle of the market and the diverse tapestry of human life –money is secondary.

 

  Pushing his single-wheeled cart to his spot, Old Lee, the vendor selling fried sausages, greets him with a grin. "Hey, Caelan, you're late today. Were you out on a date or something?"

 

  Caelan Dwayne thinks to himself, 'No date, but there was an encounter.' Out loud, he replies casually, "Nothing like that. Slept in, that's all."

 

  Old Lee chuckles, a hint of satisfaction in his voice. "My daughter Linnaea Lee came back home yesterday after her internship. She mentioned she won't forget your kindness. Without your help, we wouldn't have been able to afford both my wife's medical expenses and Linnaea's living costs for her internship far away."

 

  Linnaea Lee, Old Lee's beloved daughter born later in life, recently graduated from college and completed a two-month internship in another city.

 

  Caelan Dwayne has met the girl twice, recognizing her as a classic beauty, but knowing she is a friend's daughter, he wouldn't dare entertain any romantic notions.

 

  "Ha-ha, there's no need to remember any favors. Just let me crash a meal when I run out of cash," Caelan Dwayne jokes.

 

  "Sure thing!" Old Lee suddenly agrees, "You mentioned it reminds me, my wife and Linnaea insisted on inviting you over for dinner tonight to properly thank you. It's settled for tonight!"

 

  "Ahh... That's not necessary. Your family has its struggles; why should you invite me for a meal?"

 

  Old Lee pretends to be annoyed, saying, "How extravagant can a home-cooked meal be? If you don't come, Caelan, it's like you're looking down on us!"

 

  Caelan Dwayne is helpless and, unable to argue with the stubborn old man, reluctantly agrees. Seeing this, Old Lee breaks into a broad smile.

 

  But just then, a few rowdy figures reemerge in the market. Spotting Caelan Dwayne and Old Lee, the leader of the group sneers maliciously.

 

  "Caelan Dwayne, did you prepare the money we talked about yesterday? My buddies and I are waiting to get our hands on it for breakfast and drinks," Bruiser drawls with a sinister grin, twirling a silver chain in his hand as he approaches.

 

  Old Lee steps forward defensively, standing in front of Caelan Dwayne. He protests, "Bruiser Rain, don't push us too far! Even though your dad, Brook Rain, is the boss around here, what gives you the right to collect protection fees?! Your father clearly stated that those who don't run shops don't need to pay protection fees—we know that very well!"

 

  Bruiser Rain's father, Brook Rain, is one of the prominent underworld leaders in the West District, which explains why Bruiser dares to brazenly demand protection fees everywhere. Hearing Old Lee invoke his father to intimidate him, a chilling glint flashes across Bruiser's eyes. "You old geezer, who do you think you are? Just because you mention my dad doesn't mean I'll cower! He's my father, not your grandson! When I collect protection fees, it's because I'm giving you guys the honor. Don't refuse a polite offer only to face punishment!"

1