Ch 1: Lu Shimming
113 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Rumble!

Lightning ripped across the inky sky, followed by a deafening roar that shook the very ground. Rain lashed down in a relentless torrent, as if intent on drowning the world.

'I am back here...' A lone boy stood defiant in the downpour, his face tilted skyward. This was the only time he could glimpse a world he didn't quite understand, a world shrouded in mystery. Yet, the sights that unfolded before him felt strangely familiar.

As the rain intensified, a stream of water gushed down the mountainside. Its color, an unsettling crimson, turned darker with each passing moment, until it resembled nothing less than blood.

The boy slowly pivoted, his gaze fixed on the source of the macabre stream high atop the mountain. Blurry figures moved in the distance, a sight that sent a pang of urgency through his chest. He yearned to dash forward, to scale the mountain and uncover the truth.

"Come on, Lu Shimming," he muttered, slapping his cheeks. "Don't give up! This time, you can do it!" Determination flickered in his eyes, a fierce desire to conquer the mountain.

Tap!

His first step triggered a crushing pressure that threatened to buckle him.

"Ugh!" Lu Shimming grunted, the weight pressing down on his back, forcing his knees to buckle. This wasn't his first attempt, nor the first time he'd crumpled under the immense pressure.

Second Step!

Gritting his teeth, he counted each agonizing step, his gaze never wavering from the mountain peak.

Third... Fourth... Tenth... Twentieth... Thirty-first... Fifty-second... Seventy-second...

By the eighty-seventh step, Lu Shimming was gasping for air. Rain or sweat, it was impossible to tell.

"One more..." He pushed himself, teeth clenched, but his resolve faltered. His knee gave way, sending him crashing to the ground. His consciousness faded into darkness, his last sight lingering on the blurry figures above.

....

Whoosh!

A figure shot upright in bed, drenched in sweat. A young man, no older than his mid-teens, panted heavily.

"That dream again... I couldn't even reach a hundred steps..." Lu Shimming clenched his fist in frustration, slamming it against the mattress. These bizarre dreams had plagued him for as long as he could remember.

At first, they were fragmented and indistinct, leaving only a lingering sense of helplessness and sorrow upon waking. But with time, the dreams morphed into something vivid and unsettling.

With each step he took, he felt a slight throb in his blind eyes, as if something was about to awaken in him. He was really looking forward to the hundredth step. It was definitely gonna bring something for him.

"Cuckoo!"

The rooster's call interrupted Lu Shimming’s trail of thoughts and announced the arrival of dawn. It was time to get up and face reality. He slowly rose, wrapping a cloth around his eyes to shield them from the harsh sunlight.

"Senior Lu!"

A cheerful voice greeted him, coming from outside the cottage, a familiar sound that brought a smile to his face. It was Mu Han, a nine-year-old boy with disheveled brown hair, wearing the worn uniform of the Black Sakura Sect, one of the top sects in the Unorthodox cultivation world.

The Cultivation world of the Profound Myriad Continent was divided into three, namely, the Orthodox, Unorthodox, and the Demon Clan.

The three powers formed a deadlock, and had kept each other in check over the course of years maintaining the peace of the land. In this world, strength spoke for everything, and one was nothing without it.

The bigger the fist, the more righteous one would be, such was the way of this world.

But in a corner of the Profound Myriad Continent, a series of events had begun to take place which would change the course of the entire Nine Realms.

 

 

..

 

 

“Senior Lu!”

“Hold on a minute..” Lu Shimming slowly navigated his way out of the small cottage, a wooden axe held firmly in his hand. He was in charge of maintaining the southeast gate, a menial task within the vast sect.

As they walked through the South East gate, a cool morning breeze brushed past their faces “Where are the rest of the guys?” Lu Shimming inquired.

Mu Han skipped beside him, his voice brimming with childish energy. "Those lazy bums aren't waking up anytime soon," he complained, shaking his head in mock disappointment.

Lu Shimming chuckled at the child's antics. He was the oldest member of the servants' quarters by a considerable margin, Most of his peers, and even some younger disciples, had already been promoted to Outer Sect Disciples after achieving the first level of Qi Refinement. Yet, Lu Shimming remained stuck in his current position. His blindness was indeed a barrier, but the harsh reality was that people didn't care for excuses. Unlike others who were recruited from outside, Lu Shimming had been raised within the sect from a young age. He could be said to have had a head start compared to the rest of the people as well, which made his lack of progress all the more frustrating.

As the two of them continued onto their path, they soon arrived at the familiar forest area, their daily routine a well-worn path. Chopping firewood, tending to livestock, and maintaining the farmlands were just a few of their many tasks. Water retrieval from the stream was another essential chore, a constant reminder of their lowly position within the sect.

In the midst of all of this, they didn’t forget to practice their Martial Arts, the Raging Bull Fist. It was one of the most basic fist techniques of the sect. It was useful in strengthening one’s body and preparing oneself to handle Qi Cultivation.

As Mu Han practiced the fist technique, he displayed the first stance. His centre of gravity lowered a bit, and his feet dug into the ground as he swung his fist with an explosive might and letting out a thunderous bang.

“Charging Bull!”

His fist collided with the tree and a layer of bark was blasted off of the tree trunk.

“It’s not strong enough..” Mu Han muttered to himself. He might have mastered the first out of the three stances, but he didn’t have any Qi. His strength was backed only by his physical prowess.

On the other side, Lu Shimming sat on a rock in lotus position with his eyes closed. A bead of sweat, trickling down his forehead. A moment later he let out a breath and slowly opened his eyes.

‘Heavens really seems to be unfair to me for some reason,’ He let out a bitter smile, only he knew his situation. And, unfortunately, the rest of the world couldn’t understand it.

Lu Shimming shook his head not letting himself feel low about his situation, life could have been worse for him. With that thought in mind, he called Mu Han and went into complete the remaining chores of the day

As the sun climbed higher, the rest of the servants – a group of ten to fourteen-year-olds – began to gather. Unlike other servant groups in the sect, a sense of camaraderie filled the air. This was largely due to Lu Shimming's leadership. He fostered a supportive environment, helping them improve their cultivation skills with the hope of leaving the servant quarters as soon as possible.

"Where is Jin Ho?" Lu Shimming asked during their lunch break, sensing the absence of one of the group.

"Don't know," came a chorus of shrugs.

Mu Han offered a scornful explanation. "Chasing after that girl from the Southern Quarters again, I bet." The young boy seemed to hold an aversion to romantic relationships.

 

 

"Look at you, little guy," one of the servants chuckled, a playful glint in his eyes. "Don't you know having a Dao Companion is part of cultivation?"

Mu Han smirked. "Cultivation? You talk as if you've already stepped onto that path."

The servant's face reddened as the others stifled laughter. Everyone knew he was the oldest after Lu Shimming, yet still stuck in the servant quarters, likely a year or so from promotion.

"Too much talk for a kid," he grumbled. "What do you even know?"

Unfazed, Mu Han clenched his fists. "Why don't we spar? Age is just a number in cultivation, right?"

A collective look of unease settled over the group. The servant's face seemed to morph with each passing second. Challenge this little monster? No way. He was a prodigy, having arrived only eight months ago and already showing signs of breaking through the first layer. In the past, those who underestimated him paid the price dearly.

Desperate, the servant turned to Lu Shimming, a pleading look in his eyes. They all knew the little demon only listened to Lu Shimming.

Just as Lu Shimming was about to intervene, a scream pierced the air, shattering t

he light hearted moment.

"Big Trouble!!! It's Jin Ho!!!"

 

 

5