Ch 4: Sinister Schemes
101 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon, a bright pearl in the night sky, bathed the Black Sakura Sect in a soft, silvery glow. The usual daytime bustle had faded, replaced by a quiet stillness. Smoke curled from pagoda roofs, carrying the sweet scent of incense through the air. Crickets chirped their nightly song, a peaceful counterpoint to the gurgling of a hidden stream.

 

In a corner of the southeast gate, Lu Shimming drifted off to sleep, and soon found himself standing in an ancient land, one he was quite familiar with now.

 

A rumble echoed in the sky.

 

Lu Shimming looked up with burning determination in his gaze as a drop of water fell from the sky and slid across his eyes. Lightning flashed, briefly reflecting the scene above.

 

"This time, I will not lose."

 

With that resolve, Lu Shimming slowly turned, planted his feet firmly, and gathered all his energy before executing the third form of the Raging Bull Fist.

 

"Berserk Bull!"

 

His muscles tensed, and he shot forward like a comet madly charging towards the mountain peak, ignoring the pressure building up in his body.

 

First step... Third... Fifteenth...

 

In seconds, he crossed the thirtieth mark when he finally showed signs of slowing down. Still, he pressed on, gritting his teeth and continuing his endeavor. His pace slowed further, his muscles finally relaxing as he reached the eightieth step.

 

'I am not going to lose this time around.'

 

It was all about willpower now.

 

Lu Shimming slowly raised his head, staring at the blurry figures on the mountaintop. Taking a determined step forward, he continued his battle with his tired body.

 

...

 

Outer Sect Area, Black Sakura Sect

 

The outer sect area sprawled across a vast expanse. Estimates placed the number of outer sect disciples around six thousand, with roughly half residing within the sect at any given time.

 

Unlike the rundown servant cottages and dirty areas around the various gates, the outer sect was remarkably clean. Warm-looking wooden structures stood illuminated in the dark night. Multiple training grounds dotted the area where sect elders held lectures and guided disciples on their cultivation paths, sharing their enlightenment and teaching martial arts.

 

At this moment, a group of four could be seen walking through the outer sect area.

 

Leading them was a man in the uniform of an outer sect disciple. However, the three following him were from the servant quarters of the south gate.

 

"Woah! Look at that, Senior Tie Niu! Those are the training dummies!" one of the servants exclaimed with awe, clearly impressed by the sight. It was his first time getting such a close look at the place.

 

Tie Niu, a brutish-looking fellow with a scarred face and an imposing stature, could be described in one word: menacing. Noticing his lackey's embarrassing display, he shot him a cold stare.

 

A booming laugh erupted from the outer sect disciple accompanying them. "Haha! Don't worry, as long as you do your job diligently, even the likes of you might be able to enjoy this place someday."

 

The two servants' faces lit up with hope at those words. Joining the outer sect was a dream they could only entertain in their fantasies.

 

However, Tie Niu frowned. He could sense the mockery underlying the man's tone. While mockery from a superior figure wouldn't faze him, Tie Niu saw himself far above most outer sect disciples in his own mind.

 

In truth, Tie Niu had already reached the first layer of Qi refinement. He refrained from entering the outer sect because an unorthodox, albeit immoral, opportunity had presented itself. If he could capitalize on it, he might have a shot at achieving even greater things than just being an outer sect disciple.

 

"We are here..."

 

Lost in their own thoughts, the group reached their destination.

 

"This..." The other two servants were dumbfounded. They had arrived at the core area of the outer sect, a place inhabited by the sect's most elite disciples. Beads of sweat instantly formed on their faces, but Tie Niu seemed unfazed, as if he knew exactly what he was getting into.

 

"You two wait here," he instructed his lackeys before following the outer sect disciple and entering the building guarded by two outer sect disciples.

 

Tie Niu frowned, self-conscious under the watchful gaze of the two outer sect disciples flanking the entrance. Their expressions were impassive, but Tie Niu, despite his imposing size, felt a prickle of unease crawl up his spine.

 

The building they entered stood in stark contrast to the ramshackle cottages of the southeast gate. Polished black marble gleamed under the soft glow of lanterns, casting long, elegant shadows. Intricate carvings adorned the walls, and a row of swords hung prominently. This wasn't a mere dwelling; it was a symbol of power and prestige, a place reserved for the elite disciples

 

Stepping through the ornately carved doorway, Tie Niu found himself in a spacious chamber bathed in the warm glow of strategically placed lanterns. In the center of the room sat a figure unlike anyone he had encountered before. Clad in pristine white robes, the figure was slender and youthful, with a gentle smile playing on his lips. He looked more like a scholar lost in a book than a fearsome cultivator.

 

"You must be Tie Niu," the figure spoke, his voice soft and melodic. An involuntary shiver ran down Tie Niu's spine. It was like a gentle breeze that promised a devastating storm.

 

"Y-yes, Senior Brother Hou," Tie Niu stammered, his usual bravado melting away. The pressure emanating from the seemingly harmless figure was suffocating. 'This... is this the level of an Elite Disciple?'

 

Hou gestured to a plush silk cushion across from him. "Please, have a seat. I apologize for the inconvenience... you had to endure to get here so late at night."

 

"I dare not accept your apology. You are the future of our Sect. You have so many more important matters to deal with," Tie Niu responded with exaggerated enthusiasm.

 

"I truly appreciate your understanding. Here is a small token of appreciation from my side," Hou Tian said with a faint smile, handing over a small transparent vial containing a white powdery substance.

 

"This is..." Tie Niu's eyes flickered with a strange gleam. It was Qi Refining Powder. Used during meditation in bathwater, it could double the results in half the time.

 

This was a common substitute for expensive pills, and acquiring it wasn't easy.

 

"I have high hopes for you," Hou Tian continued with a faint smile as he picked up his cup of tea. "How is the task I previously assigned progressing?"

 

"Don't worry, Senior Brother Hou. I'm making sure those people know their place in the sect," Tie Niu assured him with a reassuring smile.

 

"Well, things have changed a bit now." Hou Tian suddenly put down his cup of tea, and his smile turned sinister. "Kill them."

2