Fateful Choices
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The air in the modest yet cozy apartment hung heavy with unresolved tension, a palpable reminder of the rift that had torn through their once tightly-knit group two years prior. As the evening sun cast its warm glow through the windows, Chris stood before his former comrades, his gaze fixed on Iván with determination and desperation.

Six other figures were present in the room, their faces etched with concern as they bore witness to the heated exchange between Iván and Chris, the two childhood friends now looking at each other with blood in their eyes.

"I think I already said no," Iván's voice cut through the silence like a knife, his tone resolute as he faced off against his former ally and his first-ever friend.

"And I think I already said it’s the last one," Chris retorted, his voice tinged with frustration as he attempted to reason with his stubborn friend. 

Aaryan, the youngest among them and the co-owner of the apartment along with Iván mustered the courage to speak up. "Perhaps we could discuss this more calmly?" he suggested his voice barely above a whisper. But his words fell on deaf ears as the two men locked eyes, their unspoken conflict casting a shadow over the room. No one present in the room will ever come in between the two ‘friends’ when they are arguing. Not because they are scared of them but because they don’t know whose side to take.

“There is nothing to talk about it.” Iván declared breaking his staring contest with Chris for just a second to look at the youngest. “It is set we are not going back. I left that life behind, and I'm not going back. We are not going back” Standing his ground and staring right back at Chris, determination set in his eyes. He didn’t even listen to the youngest whom he adored so much and the reason he left. 

Chris stepped forward, his expression pleading. "Iván, please. Why don’t you think about it? We need you for this. It's the last mission, I swear. I will never disturb your life after this. Trust me when I say this." He sighed and said he was very reasonable and calmest he had ever been, trying to convince his very first friend, partner-in-crime, and his first family.

But Iván remained unmoved, his gaze unwavering. "No, Chris. It's not worth the risk. You know full well the reason I left, so how could you ask me this? I did everything you asked me of before this, just, listen to me this time around." He could not hold his tough demeanour anymore and whispered the last sentence.  

The memory of the woman's proposition flashed through Chris's mind, her offer too tempting to ignore. And now, faced with the daunting task ahead, he knew there was only one way to ensure its success: he needed Iván and Aaryan back on his side.

-Two weeks ago-

"What are you thinking about?" The woman's words hung in the air, mingling with the faint scent of smoke that lingered in the dimly lit room. “ you know it as well as I do that it is a good deal.” Chris regarded her with a measured gaze, his mind working through the implications of her proposition. It wasn't the first time he had been approached with such offers, but there was something about this one that gave him pause.

"True," Chris conceded, his voice steady despite the turmoil of thoughts swirling within him. "It's not a bad idea. But we don't stand to gain as much as you think. I have a skilled team at my disposal, but their loyalty is not easily bought."

The woman's smile widened, a knowing glint in her eyes as she leaned in closer. "But we have more to offer," she insisted, her voice low and persuasive. "Something that will make it impossible for you to refuse and that is something I, Zambery, promise you."

Chris felt a flicker of uncertainty gnaw at the edges of his resolve. He knew the offer was tempting, perhaps too tempting to resist. But there was one major obstacle standing in his way: Iván and Aaryan.

With a sigh, Chris nodded, his decision made. "Alright," he said finally. "I'll do it. But first, I need to speak to Iván and Aaryan."

The woman's smile widened into a smirk. "Of course," she said smoothly. "I'll arrange a meeting. But remember, time is of the essence."

As the woman left the room, Chris was left alone with his thoughts, a sense of unease settling over him. Beside him, a man with midnight blue hair remained silent, a silent witness to the choices that lay ahead.

-Back to present-

Feeling the weight of his words, Chris looked glance back at Iván and Aaryan, a knot of worry tightening in his stomach. Now, he had the huge task of persuading them to return, especially Iván. Aaryan was pretty much on board as long as Iván was. Bringing Iván and Aaryan back into the fold was a big, risky move, but Chris figured it was worth it for one last mission. However, convincing Iván would prove to be a far greater challenge.

“Well…” Chris began, his voice laced with resignation as he fought to mask his fatigue. “As I said before, this is the last mission involving you both. After it's done, I will officially dismiss both of you. It's not a decision I make lightly, but it's what's best for everyone.”

“You have two days to think it over,” Chris's voice held firm, but beneath the surface, there was a hint of desperation. “But remember, I never break my promises. We've been through too much together for you to doubt that.” With a final nod, Chris turned and quietly exited the apartment, leaving behind a heavy silence.

As the rest of the group followed suit, bidding their farewells, one figure remained standing amidst the quiet. His wavy blue hair draped over his usually brown eyes, now illuminated like honey in the sunlight filtering through the window. It was none other than Leo. Despite Iván's departure a year after Leo joined, their connection remained strong.

Taking a step closer to Iván, Leo's expression softened with genuine concern. “Please, Iván, think about what's at stake here. We've all been worried sick about you and Aaryan. You're family to us, and we need both of you back,” he pleaded earnestly.

Left alone in the room, Iván mulled over Chris's words from moments ago. Rising from the couch, lost in his thoughts, he retreated into his room. Aaryan watched him silently. 

The dinner table was cloaked in silence, the weight of their decision hanging heavy in the air. Neither spoke much, their minds consumed by Chris's proposition. After the meal, they went to their respective rooms. 

Iván changed into his night clothes and sank onto his bed, hoping for sleep to ease his troubled mind. But as darkness settled around him, his thoughts refused to quiet, swirling with uncertainty and indecision. ~

~~~

"You are more than my best friend," young Iván declared, his voice filled with sincerity as he looked up at his companion. "You are my family."

Chris felt a warmth spread through him at Iván's words, a bond stronger than any he had ever known. "You know, I don’t ever want to lose you," he responded, his gaze unwavering. "So always tell me if you are in danger, yeah?"

Tears welled up in Iván's eyes as he grasped Chris's hand, feeling the weight of their promise. "I will always take your side," he vowed, their friendship solidified in that moment.

With a solemn nod, Chris embraced his friend tightly. "I promise to always be by your side as well," he murmured, sealing their pact with unbreakable loyalty.

~~~

After the memories of the promise he made, Iván felt a sense of resolve wash over him. "Well, I guess there is no other choice," he murmured to himself, and with a heavy sigh, he closed his eyes, allowing himself to drift into a restless sleep.


0