Chapter I: An Disastrous Accident
19 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's a beautiful day in May. The birds are competing in their sublime singing, captivating the crowd gathered in the churchyard for the Mass.

"In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti." "Amen."

"My beloved brothers, it follows that in the coming days I will not be in town, as I will be away on a pilgrimage to South Korea. In my place, another priest will come to fulfill the duties in the parish. So let us confess our sins so that we can celebrate the Holy Mass..."

After the celebration of the Mass, a crowd of people gathers around the priest, eager to wish Father Antonio a peaceful journey. Father Antonio is a 23-year-old priest, with black hair, wearing glasses, slightly chubby for his height. He doesn't seem to be a great model, but he is very charismatic, which impresses people.

Antonio POV:

Finally, I can see my dream becoming a reality. It's my first time traveling to South Korea, so I'm nervous about what kind of people I will find there and what kind of stunning landscapes I will be able to film. However, I hope everything will turn out well.

"Father Antonio!"

"Oh, Benjamin, what a surprise...I was just looking for you to give you the wonderful news that I'm leaving for South Korea on a pilgrimage."

"Really? Then I wish you good luck, and when you come back, bring me a gift from Seoul or something..."

"Sure, no problem, as the saying goes, we've known each other for so many years!"

Benjamin POV:

Antonio is not really the introverted type. But, being his oldest friend, I know him better than anyone else, and I can say that this is due to the openness he received from the people around him. Five or six years ago, he didn't speak to anyone, or almost anyone. But now, when I come to visit during Easter and Christmas, I always find him surrounded by large crowds of people. Honestly, I become a little jealous of his popularity, but still, I am the only one who knows little Antonio from his dark times.

"When is your flight to Korea, Antonio?"

"Tonight at 8:00 PM. I hope to arrive safely there and pray for our country and for all the people going through difficult situations. Also, I will pray for you. Who knows, maybe you'll become the next bishop, don't you think?"

"Oh come on, if I become a bishop, what will you become then? Pope? Cardinal? I'm just kidding, don't take me seriously."

My greatest joy is that Antonio is still my friend, even after all the things I've been involved in, sometimes on my own initiative.

Antonio POV:

How wonderful it is to have such friends. I was actually thinking that I'll be alone for the rest of my life, but having him by my side is all that matters. Oops, I almost forgot about my flight...

"I have to go. See you when I come back from Korea, okay?"

"Sure...I'll take care of everything here while you're gone!"

I board the car that drops me off at the international airport, where I get on the plane to Seoul. A very friendly flight attendant asks me to fasten my seatbelt, and knowing that I am a priest, she has a lot of respect for me. An elderly lady sits next to me and becomes my conversation partner for an hour. I find out that her son suffers from an incurable disease, and she is going on the same pilgrimage as me to pray for her son's recovery.

"Father, my son is the only reason I live. If it were up to me, I would do anything for him to be healthy."

"Ma'am, have faith in the power of the Lord. Remember that all things are possible for those who believe. I promise that I will pray for him, and maybe God will listen to us."

"May it be so, Father!"

After a few hours of sleep on the airplane seat, I see the beautiful Korea, the place where so many martyrs died for their faith. Seoul, the capital of this wonderful country, is so welcoming, adorned by the street lights which, in the midst of this commotion, make it seem more peaceful.

I arrive at my accommodation, where I change and continue to meditate on the beauty of the city. Amazing...Then, after taking a shower, I fall asleep.

A new day, a new world is revealed to me. Right after breakfast, I head to the cathedral in Seoul. What a marvel of a place. The stained glass windows depicting saints and various scenes, the priests dressed in festive clothing, everything fascinates me to the fullest.

After the end of the Mass, I go out with some Korean friends to the city to have lunch and discuss various topics. Of course, I also drink some soju to regain my strength after the long flight from Europe.

"We are glad you are here, Antonio! I believe the Church in Korea could use a priest as charismatic as you!"

"You are praising me too much. I am just a poor priest trying to fulfill the mission I have."

After lunch, I head back to my accommodation and continue my exploration of Korea by discovering new people and places, such as Kim Yohan, a friendly elderly man who tells me about his life spent mostly as a bank director and then a brief stint as Minister of Finance.

The next day, I decide to visit the main location of my trip: the Sanctuary of Our Lady of Naju. Surrounded by forests and feeling the air of holiness around me, the sanctuary led by Mother Julia seems like an oasis of peace and meditation. I decide to stay in front of the Virgin Mary and pray for my country, my family, for Benjamin, and for the son of the lady on the plane.

Suddenly, Mother Julia comes next to me and says:

"Father, the Virgin Mary has heard you, but you must pay a price."

"What price, Mother Julia?"

"I can't know for sure, but you will see when the time comes."

This puts me in deep thought. What does it mean? Nevertheless, it's important that my prayers were heard. I must not forget to buy something for Benjamin. Who knows, maybe he'll make me his delicious peanut butter pancakes that he used to prepare for me in school. I buy him a small statue of the Virgin Mary and a rosary. I hope he likes my gifts!

I have to go to some friends, where I am called to speak a few words to the believers.

"I come from Europe, where there are different customs, ideologies, and traditions. Coming here, I can see that you are admirable people, loved by Heaven, because of your faith and your love. Therefore, the whole world admires and loves you. My joy is boundless, especially because I see actors and artists who come to pray with us. May you be blessed!"

The surprised crowd starts applauding. Emotions that make my eyes teary. However, tomorrow I have to go back to my hometown, where I will meet my loved ones and show them the videos and photos taken in this beautiful and peaceful landscape.

I say goodbye to my friends and head back to my lodging. These days have truly been wonderful, and I am sad to leave this amazing place full of traditions and culture.

Early in the morning, I have breakfast and head to the airport, driven by a friend who is also a priest, to whom I thank for everything and wish him success in his mission.

I board the plane and, just like on the way here, a very kind stewardess asks me to fasten my seatbelt and to feel relaxed on this flight back to Europe. I start to meditate on the beauty of the places I have seen and begin to pray, eventually nodding off for a few hours.

I wake up. Screams and panic. The pilot urges for calm and restraint, but the people are doing just the opposite. An elderly woman begins to murmur a few prayers, while others hold their crying children in their arms.

"Father, we're going to die. Please bless us with God's grace and pray with us!"

No, I can't die! My people, my church, Father Benjamin, my childhood friend, my friends, my family, they will all be destroyed by my loss. No, it cannot be.

"Brothers and sisters, let us pray. Everything will end well. You will-"

A loud bang is heard. Then I realize it is too late. I urge everyone to make a confession in their mind and then give them the last absolution.

More explosions are heard, screams and cries of children, and then... What next?

Did I die? Or... I think I see a light. I see people passing by. What is this? Oh, God! Benjamin, I will never see you again... Mommy, mommy!

0