Ch.1.4 Inside
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Basket slowly trotted towards and eventually through the now opened massive gates, under farther careful guidance.
Passing through the distinct smell of the old wood that made up the grand palisades saturates the air, though as we made our way beyond the enormous gateway, that distinctive scent soon dissolved into the fresh air of the expansive bailey.

Inclining my head towards the guardsman, Gord, in gratitude as we make our way past. It never hurts to be polite after all. Nonetheless, the pleased smile that he returns to me is an adequate reward.

Father continues to steadily lead Basket onwards paying no heed to Gord, seemingly knowing where to go already.
The dull creaking of Gord closing the mighty gate is the only audible noise, that I'm unable to disregard at least, my head twisting and turning in constant motion soaking the new environment as much as I can.

The different sights of the bailey fill my wide eyes, the different structures, a small chapel with its beautiful stained glass permeating its legion of bright colors onto the yard. The small barracks a home for the smattering of guards in the lords' employee and a collection of other buildings that I can’t discern with just a fleeting glance.

Contorting my small body as much as I dare, I try to get a view of the new world in front of us, with a light chuckle father puts one of his large hands on my protruding head to push me back.

"Close yer mouth boy you'll get a better look later" his voice is sweeter than I've ever heard it. It seems I'm seeing a lot of new facets of father today.

"yes pa" my reply is reserved but carries an audible tinge of excitement as I follow his instruction.
It only takes a few more mute moments before we reach our apparent destination, a small wooden trough filled with calm if unclean water accompanied by tall pole to fasten a horse to, seated, demurely, at the base of the colossal Motte.

Father swings himself off Baskey in a single fluid motion, before reaching to help me down. "here we go," he says with a small smile as he carefully lifts me off the horse; placing me softly onto the ground.

As father goes to fasten Basket to the pole, I continue the energetic inspection of my new surroundings, however, my eyes are only drawn to one thing, the mighty keep dominating my sightline grand and imposing. It was imposing from a distance but here up close, the structure is truly awe-inspiring.

The impressive fortress faces Westward so I can only imagine the majestic shadow such a massive structure would project upon the land; it could possibly devour the bailey whole.

A firm hand is placed on my head, the weight forcing my head to tilt forwards. "come on, can't leave the good lord to be left waiting now can we lad" his voice is soft as he saunters past me, a smile materializing on his rough face.

I hastily move to follow, my eyes drifting to the sword strapped to his waist, its outline precariously showing through his thick woollen cloak. father stalls before making his way onto the steep wooden bridge to the keep, providing me the opportunity to catch up. As I come to stand abreast with him, he flourishes his long arm around me, bringing his large body low his mouth moves to speak

"now boy, remember first impressions are important" his voice is as sharp as that sword loosely hanging by his side "especially with lording’s, so be at you best ya hear." he peers directly, my freckled face reflected in his scrunched brown eyes, the stare seems to last a lifetime, though just like a lifetime it ends without much fanfare.

He swiftly unclasps my body and maneuvers his body upright before assuredly wandering on, leaving me alone dimly starting at his back as it meanders up the hill, before kindly bringing me back to life "ya never know, a good impression might just add a few extra years on your life"

0