Ch.1.6 The Green eyed lord
7 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I would love to say that the journey to wherever the bailiff was leading us was a quiet one. That, however, would be an egregious lie the man doesn't stop talking. I don't believe in the whole three minutes that we've been following the plump man his mouth has been shut for more than a passing second. Fortunately, it seems the man is thoughtfully ignoring my continued existence. Preferring to ravage father with his incessant small talk.

Happily, the passing scenery made it particularly simple to disregard their insincere exchange happening as I trudge along like an unwanted puppy. A decorated sword here, a painting there, the opulence was eye-watering if not excessive for my admittedly low-brow tastes.

It didn't take long though for us to finally reach what I assume must be the lords' study. Meaning "ah. I do apologize." the bailiff confessed feigning disappointment "it seems we'll have to cut our riveting chat short. I do ever so hope you don't mind" the bailiff apologized, a melancholy smile playing at his swollen lips.

"it’s no problem." Fathers gruff acknowledgment comes out significantly less eloquent than the bailiffs.
"Oh good. now then." chuckles out the bailiff. Turning his head towards the red door, some exotic wood no doubt. His brown eyes seem to shine a deep amber, if only for paupers second. Before swinging back round to face us with an extraordinary amount of agility for a man so large.

"His lordship will see you now." announced the bailiff with a bright smile. Confusion like always seemed to come naturally to me. Holding back my desire to question how in gods nine names the bailiff could possibly know the lord is ready for an audience without, you know, asking the Lord was quite the arduous task.

It seems, though, that I'm the only one with an inquisitive nature in the family as father strides undeterred towards the door. Moving to follow him as he places his hand onto the door handle, a hand grabs me, holding me in place.

" now my good boy why don't you..." the bailiff began causing Father to pause, " tha boys coming in with me" father growled out craning his neck to glance, more glare back at the bailiff holding my shoulder. The shift disposition of both of them shocking me stiff. 

I winced slightly as the man's grip tightened " the lord requested for your presence, not your whelp" the bailiff rebutted disdain tainting his words.

Father straightened his back, fully turning to face the bailiff and I resting his hand on the blade that at the sharp tensing of the hand gripping my shoulder the bailiff hadn't noticed " 'nd I said the boys coming in with me". The next few tense seconds seemed to take an eternity pass as sweat seemed freely flow from my body.

The bailiff released me with a quick flourish making me lurch forward "I suppose there's no harm in letting the boy listen in" the bailiff said feigning his jolly demeanor" just remember. I warned you, " cautioned the bailiff.

Father didn't grant a reply, preferring the glare at the undoubtedly smiling man, I didn't dare glance back as I made my way next father.

Once I stood alongside father, he moved to open the door not moving his eyes from the bailiff "let's go then, boy" father said turning the gilded handle of the door.

The moment the door gradually creaked open, a light seemed to engulf the rifts as the door opened. More and more the light-flooded out, drowning the hall in the golden warmth of the sun as the door drifted open. father seemed cut the light as he pushed through the doorway and into the opulent room that had ever blessed my eyes with its presence. it seemed wrong to me at least that we could dirty such a room with our less than worthy existence though father didn't seem to mind or care as he walks steadily into the center his presence dragging me with him.

The utter wealth of the grand room seemed to blind me, as I seemed to forget why we here until father voice reverberated "My lord" my eyes finally drifted to the end of the room, seated rigidly at a desk, vivid green eyes focused on a single piece of parchment gripped loosely in his hand, his lips pursed in concentration unaware of our presence.

The light kick to my ankle dragged my eyes away from the lord and to fathers bowing form.

It didn't take a great amount of deduction to realize what I was doing wrong. "My lord" my introduction came out much less like the confident address of my father and more like the yelp of a puppy.
The sound of a loud sigh seemed to envelop the room "you may rise" the lords' voice commanded.

I may have risen too fast, as vertigo seemed to descend upon me as I once again rose to stare at the seated man. only this time he was no longer reading the parchment now laid delicately on top of the desk. no, he was gazing directly at me, his eyes almost dissecting my very existence.

I'd like to say I met his gaze with confidence and bravado, but no, the only reason I didn't avert my eyes from his own was due to the paralyzing panic that I felt throughout my entire being.
His stare only lasted a second, but it felt as if my entire being was laid bare for him scrutinize.

His gaze shifted with all the poise you would expect from a noble his long deep black hair shifting like an untamed waterfall " I'm glad you could come to see me Milo" the words said were soft but seemed to carry as loud as any "you've undoubtedly realized why I wished to have this chat no?" question the lord.

" yes, my lord" fathers voice was subdued, respectful even

" Good, good. your experience will be invaluable against those dirty Lavashs, my good man," The lords' words rang out, a somber tune seeming to drench them.
However, my thoughts seemed to shatter at his words, like a stab in the dark shock permeated my being.

0