Chapter 2 – The Wreckage
14 2 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Approaching cautiously, a mix of dread and curiosity propelled me forward in silence, contrasting sharply with the terrified cries erupting from my companions into the chilly night air. The torturous wait for what was to come didn’t linger long.

As we neared the castle’s imposing drawbridge, following the same path as the panicked travelers, a grand lime tree stretched towards the sky on one side, while an ancient stone cross stood sentinel on the other—a testament to bygone solemnities. The horses, in their blind panic and frantic sprint, jerked violently to avoid the gnarled roots of the sentinel tree.

Bracing for the impending disaster, I shut my eyes tight, unwilling to witness the impending calamity, while my head turned away in horror. Desperate screams from my companions rang out behind me, urging me to look away, but their cries were abruptly silenced by the shock of what unfolded.

With morbid fascination, I forced my eyes open to witness chaos incarnate. Two horses lay defeated on the ground, their carriage tilted grotesquely on its side, its wheels mocking us from above. Rescuers scrambled to free the steeds from their entangled burden as a woman of commanding presence emerged, her pale hands clutching a fluttering handkerchief that seemed like a ghostly signal amid the chaos.

“Oh God, someone help!” Her voice cut through the disorder, a cry of desperation.

From the wreckage emerged another figure—a young woman who seemed more ethereal than flesh, gently lifted from the wreckage. My father, ever the pillar of compassion, rushed to offer solace to the older woman, his gestures conveying both comfort and sanctuary within the safety of our family’s stronghold. But her focus remained solely on the frail figure cradled against the earth.

“Sir,” she finally spoke with trembling lips to my father, “your kindness is a beacon in this dark hour.”

Only time would reveal if that light could dispel the encroaching shadows—or if darkness would once again claim dominion over our fates.

As I drew closer, the eerie stillness surrounding the girl lying on the ground unsettled me. Yet, she breathed—a fragile flicker of life refusing to be snuffed out. My father, assuming the role of healer, pressed his fingertips against her pale wrist, assessing her weak yet steady pulse. The distraught woman, claiming to be her mother, absorbed his reassurance like a thirsty flower soaking in rain. Her hands joined in a silent prayer of gratitude before she succumbed once more to her melodramatic sorrow—an inherent trait in some.

Despite her age, the woman exuded remnants of a once-striking beauty. Clad in somber black velvet, she projected an aura of noble authority even as fear visibly shook her.

“Could this be my luck—forever haunted by misfortune?” I overheard her dramatic lament to the empty air. “Here I am, in the midst of a critical journey where every moment counts—time lost could mean everything lost. My daughter lies weak and vulnerable; her recovery’s timing is uncertain. But I cannot delay; I must press on without her. Sir,” she implored my father with urgency, “how far is the nearest settlement? I have no choice but to leave her, only to reunite months from now, unable to catch even a glimpse of my precious child or hear news of her recovery.”

Urgently tugging at my father’s sleeve, I whispered with pleading intensity, “Dad, you have to offer her to stay with us—it would be amazing, wouldn’t it? Please!”

Turning to the lady with a proposal aimed at easing her distress, my father began with a touch of formality, “Madame, if you would honor us by entrusting your daughter into my care, alongside my own child and our esteemed governess Madame Penelope, we would welcome her as a cherished guest. We’ll ensure her safety and well-being until your return, treating her with the utmost care and responsibility.”

The lady hesitated, torn between desperation and gratitude. “Oh sir,” her words seemed to well up from deep within, “I couldn’t possibly burden you with such kindness and chivalry.” Despite her protest, a glimmer of unspoken hope shone through her tear-filled eyes.

With graceful insistence, my father implored her, “Sheltering her in our home would be a mercy for which we’d be forever grateful. Misfortune has cruelly robbed my daughter of her anticipated joy. Your trust in leaving her under our roof would be her salvation.” The urgency of the situation was evident—there was no nearby village offering suitable lodging, and the dangers of continuing her journey were undeniable. “If you must proceed on your voyage,” he reasoned with the distraught woman, “then entrust her to our guardianship tonight.”

Despite her grand carriage, the lady exuded nobility and authority, commanding respect beyond her external trappings, subtly conveying her high status.

With the carriage restored to its upright position and the horses calm once more, a silent exchange between mother and daughter hinted at an affection less warm than expected. The lady signaled discreetly to my father, stepping aside for a private conversation that struck me with its seriousness—a marked departure from her earlier charm.

I couldn’t resist stealing glances at their hushed yet intense dialogue, intrigued by the unfolding drama.

After a brief conference, she returned to her daughter’s side under Madame Penelope’s watchful care. Kneeling down, she whispered what sounded like a prayer or a protective spell, followed by a swift embrace. Then, with the urgency of someone fleeing shadows, she boarded her carriage.

As the door closed behind her, liveried attendants sprang into action. Spectators watched as outriders set off with a startle, and postilions urged their steeds forward amid cracking whips. The carriage surged into motion, leaving us in a whirl of dust and intrigue—fuel for whispered tales among both nobility and common folk.

1