Chapter 4 – Magic Mentorship & Goblin Subjugation
290 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

4,659 words mercy.

I once again woke up on the bed, together with a fluffy hair that spooked me to the point that I ran to the bath, which woke the fluffy snow queen.

"Can you please be quiet in the morning?!" She shouted.

"Yes mam!" I shouted in the bath, after a few moments I came outside and saw her still on the bed for some reason.

"Wake up~ the bath is still hot." I shook her to wake her up.

"Mhm, five more minutes!" She said.

"If you don't wake up then divine punishment will strike upon you" I said, before tickling her.

"Fine fine~!" She stood up before going to the bath.

"Mhm, what should we do today huh?" I muttered, there are a few things we could do today, one is go adventuring, two is go shopping, and three is to...

"Learn more about our skills huh..." I muttered as I opened my status window.

  • Name: Einz Saku / Human
  • Age: 15 years old
  • Level : 4 (3▲)
  • HP : 108 (8▲)
  • MP : 108 (8▲)
  • Allocated Status:
  • AGI : 55 (8 ▲)
  • INT : 94 (8 ▲)
  • DEF : 33 (8 ▲)
  • PHY : 38 (8 ▲)
  • Affinities:
  • Daggers Lv. 2 (1 ▲)
  • Absolute Magic Lv.1
  • Skills:
  • Absolute Magic Lv.1
  • Thought Acceleration Lv.1
  • Parallel Processing Lv.1
  • Analyze Lv.2 (1▲)
  • Tame Lv.2 (1▲)
  • Leadership Lv.1
  • Growth Multiplier Lv.1½ (½▲)
  • Dagger Lv.1
  • Titles:
  • Otherworld Prodigy

Speaking of which, there is something different about the status in this world compared to the game. The skill level system here is different, it is connected to Affinities or Proficiencies.

Proficiencies is a system that complements the skill system, the affinities you acquire from birth are rather skills itself. You could call it a head-start on the skills.

Also, we earn two status points every level therefore I acquired eight status points from last time. Somehow, it automatically redirects the points into a certain area in which my case balanced itself out.

"Mhm, what you dazing out for?" Alice suddenly came from behind.

"Oh, I was thinking about how the system works here." I said.

"Hmm.. I noticed this yesterday, you only have 5 minutes to redirect the status points you earn to a certain area." Alice said.

"Wait, you can?!"

"Yep.." She nodded.

"Speaking of which, how did you even know?"

"Mhm.. I killed a horned rabbit yesterday while we were hunting for the herbs."

"Wait... you killed it and left it behind?!"

"Mhm. I forgot about it..." She said, with an airhead look while having a towel on her hair.

"Ugh... so what level are you now?"

"Hmm... level 5."

"Ughh.. one level higher than me."

"Well, we could always go hunting later.

"Yeah... speaking of which, do you know how to use magic here?"

"Nope, I tried enchanting my bow last night but failed."

"Hmm.. should we ask Suisei?"

"Yeah, it seems like a good idea."

"Mhm, we'll go to the guild first then and also can you please dress properly now?" I said before the towel covering her dropped suddenly.

"...."

"DON'T LOOK!" A slap came flying once again.

"Why are you even dressing in the room?!" I shouted as I ran outside.

"Oh ho, what a nice day for you, young man." An uncle carrying a large ax on his back said.

"Totally not."

"Well, you should cherish your partner as you may never know when it all disappears." The uncle said while having a gloomy expression as if he lost someone.

"What partner?!" Alice suddenly shouted from the room, wait how can she hear even from this far, girls are scary.

"Well, I'll go for now young man. I am C-rank, Oturo." The uncle said.

"Mhm. I am Einz Saku, while the noisy one is Alice Silvia." I said.

"What noisy one?!" She shouted once again.

'Master, Alic..-madam has a very scary look right now.' Rosela suddenly transmitted a message onto my mind, the moment I heard the message I felt shivers on my spine.

"Mhm." He waved before going downstairs.

"Let's go now?" Alice suddenly came out from the room carrying Rosela and Alinz.

"Mhm. Let's go eat first." I said, as we went downstairs.

"Oh, you both eating first or going out on a date?" The bear, who was called Kanna waved at us and asked.

"What date?!" Alice turned red while averting her gaze and excessively brushing her hands on Alinz's fur.

'Master~ help me' Alinz transmitted a message, but I ignored it.

"Hmm.. we'll eat first." I said, as we went to an empty table and sat there.

"What would you like to have today?" The bear Kanna asked.

"Do you have any steak with eggs?" I asked.

"Yes, that would be 20 silver coins and 12 bronze coins." Kanna said.

"I'll take my usual." Alice said.

"Okay! You may pay at the counter after you are done, a total of 28 silver coins and 2 bronze coins."

"Mhm.." We nodded.

"Here's your food, please enjoy to your heart's content!" The bear Kanna came back after a few minutes, together with the food.

"Mhm." We started eating our breakfast in which after twenty minutes, we were done and paid on the counter before going outside to the Adventurer's guild.

"The food here is as good as always." I said as we were walking.

"Yeah, I can't deny that statement." Alice nodded.

We arrived at the guild after a few minutes and was greeted by a large crowd gathering on a bulletin board.

"What happened?" I asked Suisei who was at the reception.

"Hmm.. you see there is a large number of goblins suddenly arriving on the outskirts of the forest." Suisei said.

"Huh, what caused it?" I asked.

"We don't know yet, but it is most likely due to a stronger monster taking place in their usual area." Suisei replied.

"Does an orc count as a stronger monster?" Alice suddenly spoke.

"An orc, that should be enough to cause such a commotion. Why do you ask?" Suisei said.

"Mmm, these two had a little rendezvous with an orc before encountering us." Alice said as she pointed at the two little ones, which was Alinz and Rosela.

"Can you ask them what they looked like?" Suisei asked.

'The orc is specifically a soldier orc that is about to evolve, you can tell her that master.' Rosela said on the party voice chat, which is telepathy but only applies to the ones inside the party.

The party system, is also a new feature we discovered last night. It is a system that allows us to share experience points for every kill while also allowing us to talk long distances.

"This slimey one said that the orc is apparently a soldier orc that is going through an evolution." I said.

"That is dangerous then, a soldier orc going through evolution can be as strong as 2 rank C parties." Suisei said with a grim look.

"I'll report it to the guild, what do you two want to do?" She said.

"Hmm.. do you know any way to learn magic?" Alice asked.

"Mmm, you can go to Sharica right there. She should be able to help you." She pointed at a red-haired lady sitting on the counter while also having a beautiful sleep.

"Mmm, thanks." We bowed before going to the sleeping lady, Sharica.

"Excuse me." Alice tried poking at her.

"Huh?! Where am I?" The lady named Sharica suddenly said as she woke up while looking around.

Sharica, a lady with red hair and red eyes together with a silky face. She was a beauty if you take out her drooling.

"Oh..." She suddenly stopped as if changing her gears.

"Sorry, how may I help you?" Her atmosphere changed into a graceful lady, for some reason as she asked.

"Mmm, we were told to come here if we wished to learn Magic." Alice said.

"Hmm.. try putting your hand on this." She said after taking out a glass orb.

"Mkay~" I said as I placed my hand on the orb first, the orb immediately shone brightly with a rainbow before dimming out.

"Oh, a prodigy of Absolute Magic." She muttered in a low voice, but I still could hear it, next was Alice. She placed her hand on the orb and it glowed amber, same brightness as mine before dimming out.

"Two prodigies at Absolute Magic and Systematic?!" She suddenly shouted in shock.

"What does the brightness of the orb mean?" I asked.

"Well, you see most people would only be able to make the orb glow slightly before it dims out. The only rare cases are prodigies, which are extremely rare and can only be found once every 100 years." She said.

"So, we are a rare case then." I muttered.

"Not just rare, but extremely rare for a pair." She said.

"Well, how do we use magic?" Alice asked while caressing her favorite Alinz together with Rosela.

"Let's move to the library first." She said, as she stood up and walked into another room. We followed as well, and entered into a very large room filled with books, it went as high as the second floor and was very spacious.

"Take a seat." She said.

"Mhm." We took a seat next to each other.

"Let's get started then." She clapped her hands.

"You see, Magic is fundamentally the power of your imagination which together with mana forms or rather distorts the natural phenomenon."

"To be able to use magic, you need to have a strong imagination together with the ability to control mana."

"To control mana, there is a specific skill for that which is called Mana Flexibility. It is a skill that assists people in controlling their mana, it also has a very easy acquisition method."

"What is the acquisition method?" Alice asked.

"To acquire the skill, all you have to do is rather sense your mana inside your heart and then move it slowly up to your head, shoulder, hands then toes."

"It is similar to filling an empty pot of jar with water, or rather most people use that as an example." She said as she took an empty pot of jar from her magic bag, and poured water into it. The water flowed upwards from the bottom of the jar afterward became calm after being full.

"As you can see, the water becomes violent as it is being poured similarly, mana is violent in the heart before it is fully poured into all parts of the body."

"You are saying, all we have to do is move our mana to fill up all our body?" I asked.

"Exactly, well since you have the idea. You might as well try." She said.

I nodded, before starting to recall how the water moved inside the jar as it was being poured and then replacing the image of the jar with the image of the human body.

"Oh, you are close now." She said.

I tried starting to move the mana into my head before it suddenly fell back down to the heart.

"Ahh, what happened?" I asked.

"Well, you must figure it by yourself otherwise you can never learn it." She said, as she looked at Alice who was doing the same thing.

I stared at Alice when suddenly her shoulders started glowing amber, the glow was ambient and calm before it started moving in a controlled manner down to the toes but eventually flowed back to her heart.

"I failed huh." Alice sighed.

"You were close though, keep trying." Sharica said.

After an hour of trying, a total of a few hundred attempts or so. Alice suddenly shouted.

"I did it!" She suddenly spoke.

"In one hour, how smart..." She said with eyes that looks like it was about to burst.

"I figured it out.." I said after observing the attempt Alice did, her mana flowed in a continuous while also calm manner which seemed to be controlled to the extent of being on the same height.

I then tried once more, but this time I tried controlling the height of the mana as it flowed onto the head before keeping it steady on the head for a few seconds and then moving it the same way onto the shoulders, the hands and to the toes.

DING!

  • You have acquired Mana Flexibility.
  • You have leveled up to level 5, two status points have been awarded.

"I did it." I shouted as I opened my status.

"In just one hour... what demons!" She looked shocked.

  • Name: Einz Saku / Human
  • Age: 15 years old
  • Level : 5 (1▲)
  • HP : 110 (2▲)
  • MP : 110 (2▲)
  • Allocated Status: (2▲)
  • AGI : 55 (+)
  • INT : 94 (+)
  • DEF : 33 (+)
  • PHY : 38 (+)
  • Affinities:
  • Daggers Lv. 2
  • Absolute Magic Lv.1
  • Skills:
  • Absolute Magic Lv.1
  • Thought Acceleration Lv.1
  • Parallel Processing Lv.1
  • Analyze Lv.2
  • Tame Lv.2 
  • Leadership Lv.1
  • Growth Multiplier Lv.1½
  • Dagger Lv.1
  • Mana Flexibility (1▲)
  • Titles:
  • Otherworld Prodigy

As I opened the status window, I noticed that it changed as I leveled up, the allocated status has two points that are free to move. I allocated all points onto PHY and the number changed to 40 together with a (2▲).

"Well then onto the next phase, we'll have to go on the training grounds for this but first, read these." She suddenly placed five extremely large books.

"What are they for?" Alice asked, still caressing the little ones.

'Master, they are magic books.'

"They are magic books, or otherwise called grimoires, they contain formulas together with examples for spells. It is extremely rare to find them, these are old grimoires available to read for everyone."

"The red book right there is basic enchantment spell called 「Strengthen」which as the name implies, strengthens a certain object."

"Let me show you an example." She said as she took a stick before chanting out something, the stick then glowed white before dimming out.

"Try breaking it." She placed it on the table, I took the stick and tried snapping it but it felt as hard as metal.

"Huh.. it's as hard as metal..."

"As you can see, I applied strengthening on the stick. It should be gone after a few seconds."

"The strength of Systematic Magic is on their enchantments, these enchantments may at first be looked down upon because of how much people tend to misuse it but it is extremely powerful."

"Well then, for Absolute Magic that blue book right there is 「Aspire」, there are two different types for Aspire magic as Absolute Magic allows it."

"The first type of Aspire is Aspire Wind, which is pretty much calling the wind to slice an object."

 "The second type is the Aspire Flame, which is also different from Aspire Wind as it can be used to cover a certain object with fire."

"Though not many use this magic as there are more powerful ones out there, but what people don't know is if used properly it can rival the magic of higher grades." She said.

"Well, you can read those books first. Wake me up when you both are done." She said before taking a nap on the table.

"Oh well, it's going to be fun reading this.." I muttered.

"Yeah.."

After six hours, it was already lunchtime for us. We also finished reading the book, so we went to wake up Sharica.

"Mhm... You both done?" She asked while rubbing her eyes.

"Yes, we'll go take our lunch first." I said.

"Oh, it's already that time? Okay, you can come find me hereafter."

We then walked outside the guild and bumped into a familiar man.

"It's you two, going for lunch?" The uncle, Oturo waved.

"Who is this?" Alice asked as she held the two little ones who were looking at the uncle with scary eyes.

"Calm down you two, this uncle is Oturo. He is from the same inn as us." I said.

"Oh.." The three of them averted their scary eyes and nodded.

"Want to come with me to the Luna's Diner?" He asked.

"Hmm.. sure." Alice said, before we went outside and followed the uncle.

"What were you both doing at the guild?" He asked.

"Oh, we were learning Magic from Sharica." I said, when suddenly he shivered.

"Sharica?! That demon?!" He suddenly shouted as if he was scared.

"What's wrong?" I asked.

"You see, Sharica is called the Demon Tutor, for reasons." He looked around before speaking.

"She was pretty kind to me." Alice said.

"That's weird.." He said as he kept trembling as we walked to the diner. 

We arrived at the diner after a few hundred steps, the diner had tables outside together with flowers on them. The building itself was extremely large, probably the size of a mansion but there were not many people inside.

"Welcome, please take a seat." A waitress said as she guided us to a table, the inside of the diner was luxurious, with loads of windows.

"What would you like to eat?" She asked.

"Your recommendation please." Alice said.

"We recommend our apple pie with beef and ramen." She said.

"We'll take it then." I said.

"That would be forty silver coins then." She said, as I paid the amount.

"Your food will be done after a few minutes." She said.

"Mhm." We nodded, in which after ten minutes the food had arrived. The ramen was as you expected but the taste was different, it was tastier than what you would find on Earth most likely due to the herbs.

The beef here was even tastier, they were juicy while also having a fresh taste. Overall, the food was absolutely tasty for the price.

"We'll get going now, how about you?" I asked as we stood up.

"Hmm.. I'll finish up this goblin subjugation quest for now." Oturo said.

"I see then, well good luck to you then!" I said as we separated our ways, we came back to the library in the guild to see a sleeping Sharica.

"Ora~, you two are back now?" She rubbed her eyes once again and said.

"Why do you think we are here?" I sarcastically said.

"Oh well, let's go to the outskirts of the forest and use the goblins as a practice target then." She said.

"Are we taking a quest also?" Alice asked.

"This will be considered a quest in itself." She said as she led us to the bulletin board before tearing one of the quests.

  • Goblin Subjugation EMERGENCY
  • A large horde of goblin has been seen on the outskirts of the Eastern Forest.
  • Objective: Kill any goblin you see.
  • Reward: 1 silver per goblin in any condition.

"Well then, off we go?" Sharica said.

"Mhm." We both nodded together with the little pets, Rosela and Alinz as we exited the guild.

After an hour of walking, we arrived at the outskirts of the Eastern Forest.

"Well then, let's start with Alice." Sharica pointed at her.

"Alice, you should be proficient at a weapon right?"

"Yes, I have the Archery skill."

"That's a good combination, how lucky." Sharica said.

"Well then, try hitting that goblin right there." She pointed at a goblin near a tree.

"Mhm." Alice then grabbed her bow from the magic bag, and then aimed at the goblin with full concentration. She suddenly glowed white, and looked like a snow goddess targetting a peasant and after a few seconds of concentration a semi-transparent arrow suddenly condensed on the bow before making a loud bang.

The arrow caused a loud bang similar to that of a sound barrier being broken, or rather it is the sound barrier being broken. The arrow glowing amber struck down on the goblin leaving a hole on its stomach.

"Oh, that's not supposed to happen." Sharica suddenly said.

"What kind of bow is that, that is insanely strong!" She exclaimed.

"Well, it is a family heirloom." Alice said while averting her gaze.

"I wonder if it will still work..." Sharica muttered.

"I don't know if this will work on your bow but try imaging the arrow being condensed even more harder while also infusing more mana into it."

"How do I know how much mana I should fuse into the arrow?" Alice asked.

"You will just know when it hits." Sharica replied.

...... 『Alice Perspective』

I wonder what she meant by infusing mana into a mana arrow...

'Master, you should try imagining a real arrow instead of something like a mana arrow.' Alinz suddenly said.

'Are you able to see my thoughts?'

'Of course, we are connected through the tame skill, Master.'

'Then, do you mean I just try imagining a real arrow like this then try to move my mana into it?' I asked.

'Yes, something similar to this.' Alinz said when suddenly a clear image of an arrow glowing amber appeared in my mind, which disappeared after a few seconds but it was enough for me.

I then drew the bow once again, aiming at a goblin hiding on a bush while looking at the dead goblin near the tree. This time, I drew the bow while imagining a real arrow which suddenly appeared on the bow.

After imaging out the arrow, I then tried moving my mana to the arrow which suddenly turned amber similar to the mana I have. After a few seconds, I felt that it was enough and shot the bow which made an extremely loud bang.

The loud bang caused the grass near us to vibrate with some being ripped off together with a strong gust of wind, the goblin who I aimed had it worst as it's whole body exploded, with a fountain of disgusting green liquid flowing out.

'You have leveled up, 2 status points have been rewarded.'

'Archery has leveled up by one.'

'Mana Flexibility has leveled up by one.'

'Growth Multiplier has leveled up by half'

'Goblins now give less experience points.'

I ignored the level-up messages as I was still in shock.

"Wow... that's dangerous.." I muttered.

"Truly dangerous..." Einz muttered in disbelief.

"That's real destruction..." Sharica had her mouth open.

I looked at my bow and sighed, this was at the level of a cheat, suddenly I lost strength and fell.

"What's wrong?" Einz asked.

"I don't know." I said before I checked my mana bar only to see it turned red while also being near the end with only 20 mana points left.

"I think I almost used up all my mana." I said.

"No wonder why it was destructive..." Sharica said.

"It consumes loads of mana in compensation for its destructive power, you should keep it as a last resort or else you will die for sure as it can't even scratch an orc properly yet." Sharica warned me.

"Yes" I nodded while still on the ground.

"Well, I'll carry you for now." Sharica said before kneeling, I then piggybacked on her back.

... 『Einz's Perspective』

"Well then, let's go with Absolute Magic." Sharica looked at me.

"Tell me, you also have something similar to her family heirloom right?"

"On point!" I said as I grabbed my dagger, the dagger red accents suddenly grew red as if it was alive before it dimmed out, but I was the only one that saw it.

"Well then, we'll start with a combo."

"The best thing about Absolute Magic, is you can combo them out. For example, you could use Aspire Wind to attack from a long-range before covering your weapon with Aspire Fire and finishing off the enemy."

Can't I just use Aspire Wind to kill the enemy?

"You might be thinking of something like killing the enemy with Aspire Wind, but you can't as there is a countdown before you could use the magic once again. It's one of the wonders of the world."

Ahh yes, the cooldown system we created...

"Well then, how about you try killing those two goblins right there with the combo I told you." Sharica said as she pointed at the two goblins who were near the dead goblins.

"Eh?! Can I do it?" I asked, nervously.

"Well, I will be watching from behind in case you get into danger." Sharica said while carrying a sleeping Alice on her back.

'Master, don't worry about defense. I can take the damage if there is any.' Rosela said.

'Thanks!'

"Well then, off I go." I said before running near one of the goblin, the goblin immediately noticed me but before it could get near I immediately tried casting Aspire Wind.

The examples shown for Aspire Wind tend to be a vertical slash, but the image I am using is a vertical slash to strike both the goblins. Immediately, my mana was consumed before the wind formed the image and flew straight at the goblin. The goblin tried blocking it off with a rusty shortsword while the goblin next to it happened to just stood up.

The shortsword immediately cracked before breaking into pieces meanwhile the slash still kept going and only stopped when it caused a hollow wound on the goblins but it was enough as it caused them to be knocked off.

I immediately ran to one of them before covering my dagger with Aspire Fire when suddenly the red accents of the dagger glowed red before emitted some kind of pressure.

I then slit the goblin's head which caused green fluid to flow, but was quickly vaporized by the heat then adding more force to my feet, I ran once more and struck down on the head of the second goblin which the head immediately turned extremely hot before bursting out loads of green fluids.

It was a disgusting scene, and I immediately backed off as to not get hit by the fluids.

'You have leveled up by one level. (1▲)'

'Dagger has risen by 1 (1▲)'

'Absolute Magic has risen by 1 (1▲)'

'Growth Multiplier has risen by 1 (1▲)'

'Goblins now give less experience points.'

I'll let the system balance out my status points for now, as I walked back to the scene and grabbed the two goblins before dragging them back to where Sharica and the others were on.

"Good job." Sharica clapped her hands while still carrying Alice.

'Goodjob master.' Rosela said.

'Goodjob!' Alinz said.

"Well, it's about time we head back otherwise we can't get back inside." Sharica said.

"Can you ask the little ones to grab the other two goblin corpses or rather just the ears for proof of subjugation." Sharica said.

'Hai~' They both ran and came back with two goblin ears.

"You too, you can cut down the ears of the goblins for the proof." Sharica said.

"Mhm." I then cut down the right ear of the goblin before we went back to the guild.

It was now evening when we arrived at the guild, we received 4 silver coins for the quest and also is close to ranking up now.

Now, I am carrying Alice who was dead asleep on my back together with the little ones back to the inn. Sharica also has finished tutoring us but still allowed us to ask her any questions related to magic.

Overall, it was a busy second day but it was a fun one.

"She looks cute when asleep huh.." I muttered as I stared at the sleeping Alice on my back.

'Master, go for it~' Rosela suddenly said.

'Yes~' Alinz also spoke.

"What do you two mean?" I asked, as we arrived at the inn.

"Do you need me to prepare the food later?" The bear, Kanna asked as we entered.

"Yes please." I said before going back upstairs to our room and placing down Alice on the bed and covering her.

That was the end of our second day in the town.

Weapon Illustrations:

Dagger of EinzBow of Alice

Do you like the long chapter?
  • Yes Votes: 4 100.0%
  • No Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Could have been better Votes: 0 0.0%
Total voters: 4 · This poll was closed on Apr 8, 2020 09:15 PM.
9