Chapter 13:Discounted prices
67 1 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Stepping out the door, Jess observed the pedestrians coming and going in the early morning and realized that those in the Mage Quarter seemed to share a similar aesthetic or followed a particular trend—the colors blue and purple were dominant in robes or tunics, paired with light-colored trousers. Even those who didn't quite fit the mold didn't deviate too wildly in appearance.

 

Yet, Jess's worn linen shirt appeared somewhat incongruous amidst those frequenting the Wizard's Sanctum.

 

Since he was to get by in the Mage Quarter, he thought it wise to purchase some new clothes first. It would be rather inconvenient to be mistaken for a thief.

 

Not far from the entrance to the Mage Quarter, at the base of the city wall, was a tailor's shop, its sign partially obscured by the shade of an old oak tree that seemed to be merging with the stone wall.

 

However, one could still make out the sign clearly—"Duncan's Tailoring & Ready-Made Clothes."

 

Jess had visited this tailor shop while job hunting before, and indeed, as soon as he entered, the red-haired proprietor furrowed his brows.

 

"How is it you again, didn't I tell you last time we had no work for you?" he said.

 

"I'm here to browse for clothes, sir."

 

"Uh, alright, any specific requirements?"

 

"What sort of attire is typically worn by mage assistants? Could you recommend something?" Jess inquired.

 

The proprietor lifted his glasses and, catching a glimpse of the ring in Jess's hand, said, "Your question is rather broad. Assistants are not mages, nor mage apprentices; you can choose freely based on your preference."

 

There we go again. I get it; an assistant is neither an apprentice nor a mage. Not everyone in the Mage Quarter needs to remind me so earnestly, Jess thought to himself. His eyes wandered over the fabrics laid out on the counter and then to the garments being sorted by several apprentices in the distance, hesitating slightly.

 

The clothes here were made of fine materials and seemed to be of high quality, which probably meant they weren't cheap. But then, why not just stick with what he was wearing? After all, on the construction sites and streets, everyone wore similar attire.

 

He casually touched a light blue outer garment that felt reasonably good, although it still seemed to be made of linen.

 

"How much for this garment?"

 

"Three silver, sir. For four silver, we can tailor a set to your measurements, it's quite a bargain and will be ready the day after tomorrow," the tailor replied.

 

Hearing the price, Jess was stunned but could only say, "Sorry, I need it immediately."

 

"Then for three silver coins, you may take it right away. It's quite a deal."

 

Three silver for a tattered linen garment? Jess gave a disdainful glance and scanned the other clothes on display, realizing that this might be the cheapest item in the shop. The cost of living in the Mage Quarter really didn't suit his current financial situation.

 

"To tell you the truth, I was sent by my employer to buy some clothes. It doesn't really matter whether I purchase some for myself," Jess said stiffly. "So there are specific requirements."

 

"I'm all ears," the proprietor answered.

 

"I need an enchanted outer garment, one with significant shadow resistance, and it would be better if it also had some fire resistance, otherwise linen is too easily ignited, which is not conducive to battle."

 

Jess paused and leaned closer to the proprietor, who appeared shocked by what he'd just heard.

 

"You've heard about the worgen returning to the Elwynn Forest, haven't you? Worgen warlock magic is no joke; I need to ensure the Master's safety, so the quality requirement is rather high. If it's too much trouble, it's alright; I can check elsewhere."

 

The tailor nodded slowly, then responded, "An enchanted coat requiring both shadow and fire resistance is quite a high request. Silk would be the best choice, as it blends more easily with animal by-products and arcane magic than linen does, allowing it to better harness the power of the enchantments. I understand. Let me find something suitable for you..."

 

You really have such a thing? Jess was stunned; he had only meant to make a preposterous request to be politely turned down by the tailor, giving him a graceful exit from the shop. What he overlooked was that this shop was catering specifically to mages.

 

What kind of request would ensure they wouldn't have it? A full-body forging armor etched with the golden lion crest, with the shoulder pads fashioned like an iron dragon baring its teeth?

 

The tailor disappeared into the basement, behaving as if he had a major client. His apprentices glanced over curiously at their boss's excitement, pinning Jess in place with their looks just as he was planning his exit.

 

Before long, the tailor emerged, carrying an ornately decorated wooden box. The box alone probably cost more than chopping up Jess and selling him off by weight.

 

The proprietor excitedly, trembling with a small brass key, unlocked the box. Carefully lifting the lid, a subtle airflow escaped the container, causing his hair to flutter.

 

Isn't this magic a bit over the top?

 

Inside lay a thin outer garment, a blend of black with a faint purple hue, indeed of silk, and exquisitely tailored—the best stitching Jess had ever laid eyes on in his life compared to the synthetic fabrics he'd seen in his previous life.

 

"Garment of the Dead," the proprietor whispered. "This piece was originally made by a mage of great renown in Stormwind who secretly studied necromancy. To protect himself from necromantic energies, he magically crafted this garment, which naturally had strong resistance to shadow."

 

He continued with a slight rise in his voice, "The previous owner, famous court mage Nielas Elan's apprentice, Alfred VanCleef, personally added fire resistance to combat warlocks' fire spells, making it exactly what you're looking for."

 

At this point, the proprietor narrated as if singing a ballad, "Alas, Master VanCleef perished in Hillsbrad Foothills during a decisive battle. His grandson sold this garment to us. Supposedly, the damage to the hem was from a Red Dragon's flames, and thus we altered it from a robe to a short coat."

 

Jess was dumbfounded by this point.

 

After a good while, he questioned disbelieving, "Didn't you say it was resistant to fire? How did it get burned by a Red Dragon then? Isn't that false advertising?"

 

"No armor can withstand a mountain giant's punch, sir," the tailor said with a wry smile.

 

Indeed, that made sense. Jess continued, "But the name, it's just too ominous. If I were its owner, wouldn't that make me a dead man?"

 

Sighing, the proprietor said, "To be frank, that's one reason why this garment is difficult to sell. But I can see that the budget given by your employer might be limited, which actually works in your favor! Since the name is somewhat unsavory, we'll give you a discount."

 

"How much?"

 

"For seven gold coins, it's yours."

 

Jess was utterly taken aback.

 

"It actually... sounds quite reasonable," he confessed.

 

"Right?" said the tailor affirmatively.

 

"But I can't make decisions on such fine items. I will ask my employer's opinion and see how it fits into the budget."

 

"No problem; we are always patient with distinguished customers," the tailor said, securing the garment back in the box and seeing Jess out the door.

 

Leaving the tailor shop, the sunlight seemed blinding.

 

Confronting a garment priced at seven gold coins proved to be a hefty shock for Jess, bringing him firmly back to reality.

 

Given the tightness of his pocketbook at the moment, it was best not to dwell on changing clothes. Better to focus on the task at hand, securing the potions he needed.

2