Chapter 23: Flashbacks
0 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moon hung like a silver pendant in the sky, casting a glow upon Carmilla as she gazed into the hearth's flickering flames. The fire's dance lured her into the recesses of memory, each ember a moment from her centuries-spanning existence.

"1645, the height of the English Civil War," Carmilla murmured, her voice barely audible above the crackling wood. She closed her eyes, and we are transported back to a time of turmoil and intrigue.

Carmilla, adorned in the finery of the era, stood in a grand hall, her attention fixed upon a dashing cavalier. "Sir Thomas, you do risk much by coming here. The Roundheads would not take kindly to your presence," she said, her tone teasing yet laced with an undercurrent of concern.

Sir Thomas, his attire a stark contrast to the somber hues around him, bowed deeply before Carmilla. "For a moment in your company, Lady Carmilla, I would risk far more than the ire of Cromwell's men."

Her laughter was a melodic sound that filled the space. "And what would you say if I were to confess my own allegiances lie... elsewhere?"

"I would say that it is the cause you champion in your heart that matters most," Sir Thomas replied, his gaze intense. "Tell me, my lady, where does your heart truly lie?"

Carmilla's smile faded, a shadow crossing her features. "My heart is a wanderer, Sir Thomas. It belongs to neither king nor commonwealth."

The cavalier took her hand, pressing a kiss to the back of it. "Then perhaps it might find a home with me."

But Carmilla withdrew her hand, stepping back from him. "You know not what you ask, Sir Thomas. My nature is not one to be tethered by love or loyalty."

The scene shifted to a moonlit night in Versailles, decades later, where Carmilla walked through the opulent gardens with none other than the Sun King himself, Louis XIV.

"Mademoiselle Carmilla, your wit is as sharp as your beauty is captivating," Louis declared, offering her an arm as they strolled.

Carmilla accepted, her eyes sparkling in the moonlight. "Your Majesty flatters me, but surely there are matters of state more pressing than my modest charms."

Louis chuckled, a ruler in his prime, confident in his power. "The affairs of my kingdom will persist, but moments of genuine delight such as these are fleeting."

Carmilla glanced at the king, a sly smile playing on her lips. "And is it delight that you seek in my company, sire?"

"It is," he admitted, his voice lowering. "I find myself... enchanted by you."

Carmilla stopped, releasing his arm. "Enchantment can be a dangerous thing, Your Majesty. It can blind one to the truth."

"And what is the truth, Mademoiselle Carmilla?" Louis inquired, his interest piqued.

"That not all creatures of the night are mere phantoms of superstition," she replied, her gaze holding his. "Some are as real as the blood that courses through your veins."

Louis's laugh echoed through the gardens, a king unafraid of shadows. "Then I shall count myself fortunate to walk with one who knows such mysteries."


The air was thick with the scent of ink and parchment in the dimly lit chamber. Carmilla, her hair styled in the elaborate fashion of the 18th century, leaned over a desk where a man, his wig slightly askew, was fervently writing.

"Mr. Franklin, do you not tire of these endless hours?" Carmilla inquired, her voice a gentle prod as she observed Benjamin Franklin's labor over his latest invention.

Franklin looked up, the corners of his mouth turning up in a weary smile. "Ah, Lady Carmilla, your concern is most welcome. But as I often say, diligence is the mother of good luck."

Carmilla moved to stand beside him, peering down at the intricate plans. "And what, pray tell, is this contraption to bring to the world?"

Franklin's eyes gleamed with the fire of inspiration. "A device to harness the power of lightning, if you can believe it. Electricity is the future, my lady."

A knowing look crossed Carmilla's face. "Electricity is indeed a powerful force, much like the one that courses through my veins."

Franklin chuckled, dismissing her words as poetic whimsy. "If only we could control such forces as easily as we might direct the lightning."

Carmilla's gaze lingered on him, her thoughts turning inward. "Some forces are not meant to be controlled, Mr. Franklin. They are to be revered, respected."

The scene shifted again, this time to the vibrant streets of New Orleans, where Carmilla found herself amidst the revelry of Mardi Gras in the 19th century. She was a vision in her mask and finery, drawing the eyes of many a suitor.

A gentleman, his own mask in hand, approached and offered a bow. "Mademoiselle, might I have the honor of this dance?"

Carmilla accepted, her laughter mingling with the sounds of the celebration around them. "You may, sir, though I warn you, I lead a dance most unconventional."

As they moved to the music, the gentleman spoke, his voice low and entranced. "There is a mystery about you, mademoiselle, a depth that I find most intriguing."

Carmilla twirled under his arm, her movements graceful and fluid. "Mystery is but a veil, sir. To lift it may reveal truths that one is unprepared to face."

He drew her closer, the press of bodies around them fading into insignificance. "I am willing to face those truths, whatever they may be."

Carmilla's eyes met his, a glint of the predator within shining through. "Be careful, sir, for some truths bite."


The air was perfumed with the scent of wild roses as Carmilla stood in a secluded grove under the light of a crescent moon. The trees whispered secrets to the night as she waited, her heart heavy with an emotion she seldom allowed herself to feel.

"Luca," she whispered, the name a caress on her lips as the memory took shape before her eyes.

Years prior, in the rolling hills of Tuscany, Carmilla had encountered a young artist whose talent was only surpassed by his passion. Luca, with eyes as vivid as the azure sky, had captured her likeness in oils, and, inadvertently, her heart in the process.

"Your beauty transcends even the Muses, Carmilla," Luca said, his brushstrokes caressing the canvas as he captured her ethereal presence.

Carmilla watched him work, the warmth in his gaze stirring something within her that she had long thought dormant. "And your art transcends mere paint and canvas, Luca. You see the world in a way that few others do."

Luca set his brush down, turning to face her fully. "I see you, Carmilla. Beyond the grace and the poise, there is a depth that I yearn to understand. Will you let me?"

Carmilla hesitated, the very notion of vulnerability a danger in itself. "To let you in is to expose you to a world of shadows, Luca. I am not what I appear to be."

Luca stepped closer, his hand reaching out to gently touch hers. "Then let us walk in shadows together. I fear nothing if it means being by your side."

Their love blossomed like the roses around them, fierce and unyielding. But as with all forbidden romances, it was not to last. A vengeful witch, scorned by the community for her practices, had set her sights on the couple, her jealousy twisted into a curse.

"You, who walks in the guise of night, shall see your love wither under the light," the witch had hissed, her words a venomous spell that clung to Carmilla's soul.

Luca fell ill, his once-vibrant eyes dimming as the life within him drained away. Carmilla, desperate to save him, sought remedies both mortal and arcane, but to no avail.

"Why does this ailment resist all efforts?" Luca asked, his voice weak, his hand in hers. "Tell me, my love, is there no hope?"

Carmilla's tears, rare as they were, fell upon his pale cheek. "There is always hope, my love. But sometimes, fate is a fickle and cruel master."

As Luca's breaths grew shallow, Carmilla made a decision borne of love and despair. She would turn him, grant him the immortal kiss that was both a gift and a curse. But as she leaned down to bestow it, Luca's hand stilled her.

"No, Carmilla," he breathed, his eyes clear for a fleeting moment. "I cannot live in a world of eternal night, not even for you. Let me go, my love."

Carmilla, her heart breaking, obeyed his final wish. Luca's last breath was a sigh of release, leaving her alone with the agony of loss.


Carmilla's footsteps were silent as she traversed the moonlit corridors of Hartford Manor. The echoes of her memories still clung to her like a shroud, but it was the present that called to her—a present that was slipping through her fingers like grains of sand.

Nathaniel awaited her, his room a sanctuary from the tumultuous world outside. The door swung open to reveal him sitting by the window, his profile etched against the night sky.

"Carmilla," Nathaniel greeted, a trace of surprise in his voice. "I thought you had resolved to leave."

"I had," she admitted, moving towards him, her form a shadow in the dim light. "But there are ties that bind stronger than resolutions."

Nathaniel's expression softened, understanding the unspoken words that lingered between them. "And what ties are those?"

Carmilla reached out, her hand gently cupping his cheek. "The ties of the heart, Nathaniel. They are not easily undone."

Nathaniel turned his face to kiss her palm, his eyes closing at the tender touch. "I feel them, too. Despite everything, they pull me to you."

Their embrace was a meeting of souls, a connection that transcended the physical. As they lay together, the world beyond the walls of the manor ceased to exist. There was only the here and now, the beating of two hearts in tandem.

Nathaniel, his breaths shallow with emotion, whispered against her hair. "Carmilla, I have a dying wish."

Her body tensed, the words striking a chord within her. "Do not speak of dying, my love."

"It is a wish nonetheless," he insisted, his voice laced with urgency. "I offer you my blood willingly. Let me be a part of you forever."

Carmilla pulled back, searching his eyes. "Nathaniel, that is a gift I cannot accept. It comes with a price too steep for you to pay."

Nathaniel cupped her face in his hands, his decision resolute. "It is a price I offer freely. I am already bound to you in every way that matters."

Carmilla's resolve wavered, the temptation a siren's call to the very essence of her being. "And if I were to accept, what then?"

"Then we are eternally entwined," Nathaniel breathed, his lips grazing hers. "In this life and whatever comes after."

0