Musician Department
3.5k 8 120
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Musician Department was full of exactly what you'd expect. Musicians. Some could only sing, some could only play instruments, some could do both, some were even music producers instead. But everyone was extremely talented. Which was why I was so very confused with the current development I'm experiencing.

Before I start talking about that, I'll have to talk about the events leading up to it. So here goes nothing.

Departments had their own sections on the school grounds with their own buildings and equipment. The only thing each department didn't have was a cafeteria, which the school possessed in a large buidling within the sights of all the departments but would still be have to be walked a bit to.

Anyway, the Musician Department held everything that a musician could need. Recording studios, rooms full of instruments, sound-proof rooms for practicing, among many other things. It was kind of amazing how high quality everything in the school was. This school was for those who were the very, very best in their fields. It was just still pretty overwhelming.

Gradually our group of first-years was slowly seperated into classes. The first group went into a classroom labeled 1-F, then 1-E, the next to 1-D, then 1-C, 1-B, and then finally 1-A which was my class. It was the smallest class yet with only ten students in it including myself. That worried me a bit at first, but then we were led to our classroom and everyone was stunned into 'oohs' and 'aahs'.

The room was neatly set up with the usual wooden desks and chairs being replaced with individual grey desks with comfy looking beanbag chairs and cushioned desk chairs to replace the bean bag chairs should someone not want one. The front of the room where there was usually a chalk board was replaced with a wide screen and various white boards positioned about the room.

Then there was the view from the classroom windows. We had the perfect view of the tastefully decorated cafeteria plaza and a fully in bloom cherry blossom tree rested outside the windows, allowing stray beams of sun to dance around the falling petals in the most elegant way possible.

In simple terms, this classroom rocked.

I decided on a seat in the middle of the classroom with a cushioned desk chair, clear view of the front of the room, and nice view of the cherry blossom tree from the corner of my eye. Many of the people in my class instantly began socializing with each other, most seated near the back of the room. I wasn't really in the mood to socialize so I simply began to prepare the materials I could be using today.

Eventually, a new face entered the classroom with confident steps before a bell rang, signaling the beginning of class. The new arrival held some books in her arms and gave me more animal vibes. What's with all the animals lately?

Her chocolate brown hair was tied up into a high ponytail, emerald green eyes shining with a bit of haughty laze, and outfit perfectly ironed without a single wrinkle. I could only sigh.

This teacher of ours was definitely a cat. 

"Class, quiet down please." The woman made gentle yet firm taps against the teacher's desk and stopped when she finally got complete silence. She smiled. "Good morning. I'll be your homeroom and vocal teacher for this year, Hirata Rin. Hirata-sensei is what you'll be calling me though. At current I'm 26. Kinda young for a teacher, huh? Well, I can ensure my quality as I'm an alumni of Matsuuri myself."

Hirata-sensei gave a lazy smile to the class. "I'll be doing attendance now~"

"Maeda Yoshiko?"

"Here."

"Yanagi Isao?"

"Here!"

Hirata-sensei went through everyone at a leisurely pace before finally reaching my name. "Saito Azami?"

"Here." I replied, hand raised high to make sure she saw me. The whispers I expected to hear sprung up between my classmates.

"That's THE Saito Azami?!"

"I always expected Saito-sama to bs a beauty, but she's more like a goddess!"

"As expected of Saito-sama, where else would she go if not Matsuuri?"

Hey, I can hear all of you. You whisper too loudly. It's not even remotely secretive. You should just be talking outloud to each other at this point.

"Quiet please~" Hirata-sensei let out a yawn. "I still have things I need to address."

The room quieted down again and Hirata-sensei began to speak again. "As all of you know, Matsuuri is the school for the best of the best. Getting into Matsuuri was the easy part, staying in will be harder."

"You want to know why Matsuuri produces the best? Instead of letting its students sit comfortably, students are put into a competitive environment to not only help them grow, but also actively seek their own growth. This is why each department and grade is seperated into Ranks. F being the least talented and A being the most. At the end of every semester there is an assessment to determine your placement among the Ranks. As Musician Department students, you will be made to either compose and perform a piece or simply perform a piece. It is encouraged that students create Ensembles either with classmates or members of other departments to create unique experiences and strengthen bonds. Does everyone understand?~"

With that type of explanation, it was easy to see why I was in class 1-A. According to my brother, Azami had been the paragon and idol of the Musician Department for good reason throughout the entirety of the novel that went through their Matsuuri years. It was also why she was voted onto the Student Council every year apparently.

I wouldn't know any of this without my brother, so I suppose I could be a bit grateful.

Hirata-sensei began to speak again. "I'm glad that everyone understands. Now then, I'll begin talking about the various boons you gain as Rank A students and about how the school itself works. Please pay attention~"

My first ever homeroom class went extremely well and I learned much more about the school. Some important points include...

1) For the most part, the school is very student run like a little fake democracy. The Student Council stands at the center of this and regulates student behavior along with managing budget, school events, and disciplinary action. 

2) Many school events will involve one, if not multiple departments such as the annual school musical which involves the Author Department, Film Department, Musician Department, Dance Department, and Artist Department to create an original musical. It's actually extremely common for these musicals to go Broadway. There were a lot of other events as well.

3) Rank A students get unlimited access to school facilities such as the recording studios, music rooms, study rooms, an exclusive area in the cafeteria, after school study sessions with teachers, and other boons.

4) If you ever order anything from the cafeteria, get the salmon meal with extra seasoning. This quote came right from Hirata-sensei, which only proved her cat-like personality more.

Morning classes ended without a hitch and I ended up looking forward to the afternoon classes. Due to the excellent teachers and easy to learn material, I was able to get more comfortable with the vocal capabilities I held and learn more. This was the type of schooling Matsuuri provided and I appreciated it.

I had just gotten up from my desk to leave the classroom to head to the cafeteria only for the classroom door to slam open and produce a loud slam.

"Is Saito Azami in this classroom?!" A girl's voice pierced through the classroom and the owner of the voice sashayed into the room. Only one word came mind when I say her.

Huge.

That was incredibly rude of me. What I meant was that her bodily proportions were healthy. Though I wondered if she suffered from back pain. The girl had auburn hair that flowed and then curled at the ends, creating a drill like appearance. Her eyes were wide and shone with mischief, the light making it look like the sapphire orbs had gold flecks. Her skin was somewhat tanned and her body filled out quite nicely.

Put simply, she was a beauty.

"Yes, that would be me. Can I help you with something?" I asked, tipping my head to the side. This body had no memories of this girl and I had never heard of anyone with these characteristics from my brother. So I was clueless.

The mystery girl looked at me before her face flushed slightly. She coughed before grinning, revealing her pearly whites. "Saito Azami! I, Uehara Aika, graciously invite you to eat lunch with me!"

"Oh, I apologize. I already have an engagement for lunch. You could perhaps join us or we could dine together tomorrow."

"... Huh?"

Uehara let out an interesting sound of confusion before returning to her haughty(?) attitude.

"A prior engagement? With whom?"

Ah, this girl spoke so properly. So pompous. Perhaps a big cat cub? A lion cub?

"My acquaintance Okita Natsuko. I wouldn't like to leave her waiting, so I must excuse myself." With that said, I stood up and left the classroom with light steps.

But...

Why was Uehara following me? Did she take my offer to join Okita and I seriously? I honestly don't care anymore.

Which actually brought us to my current predicament. I had found a place to sit in the cafeteria with Okita and Uehara but the two of them had so much tension flowing between them that I could only eat my food in uncomfortable, tense silence.

God, why can't I even enjoy my food quietly? This is too cruel. You kill me with a train and now I can't even comfortably eat my food? I can't even move since Okita is sitting beside me, making it so she has to move for me to leave.

QAQ

120