Chapter 7: Trout Lord
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Edmyn knew that the Riverlands were going through tough times. He knew that the smallfolk were struggling and that that damnable castle that Harren Hoare had built would likely still be the cause of their ruin for generations to come. Despite all that though he could not help but feel slightly relieved and happy, content even. His sister had married the man she loved, and his own wife Melissa had given him a son, and heir. Someone to continue his dynasty after him. They had named the boy Hoster, after his own father, someone who Edmure had little memory of. That was thanks to Harren Hoare. The man was a brute, and his oldest two sons were brutes also. Only Qoren had any sense within him. And now there was a great threat to the Hoare rule of the Riverlands and that was why Edmyn had summoned a meeting of his advisors and close friends.

He stroked his beard and then said. "My lords, and ladies," nodding to his wife who was Lady of Charlton in her own right. "We are facing a most interesting situation now. For the first time in centuries, the Hoares are facing a challenge to their authority." He paused allowed his words to sink in then continued. "I speak of course, of Aegon the Dragon and his sister-wives. They have taken the Vale without bloodshed, they have taken the Stormlands, and they have won the loyalty of the disparate lords of the Blackwater. They are growing stronger with every passing day. Soon enough Harren Hoare will have to face the Dragon. I would hear your thoughts on what we should consider doing."

Lord Edmond Vance, a man he had known since childhood spoke then. "I think we should declare for the dragon." The man took a sip of wine and continued. "We cannot hope to stand against the dragon fire and the army with which the Dragon will march into the Riverlands with. We must stand behind him and support him as best we can."

Ser Edward Vance, Lord Edmond's cousin and the regent for the other Vance spoke then. "I disagree cousin. Harren Hoare is not so foolish as to head out into open battle. He will hide behind his walls of stone and sit there and wait for us to do something foolish. I do not think dragon flame can burn stone."

Lord Edmond looked at his cousin and replied. "Are you scared cousin?"

"Of Harren?" Ser Edward said. "No. Of his sons? Yes."

"Why?" Edmyn asked curious.

"Harwyn is dangerous and half mad, Halleck is a warrior, and then there is their sons, who are a mixed bag. They are the fighters they will take charge. I think we must consider what will happen. Furthermore, Qoren Hoare is married to your sister, Lord Edmyn, how are you to stand against Harren when he is your kin through marriage?" Ser Edward asked.

Edmyn stroked his beard and thought about this, he did not answer immediately, instead Maester Brynden, a bastard cousin through some distant line spoke. "My lords, there is something else that must be considered. That is the fact that wherever he has gone, King Aegon has taken the advice of maesters, and has begun conducting a legal code which will encompass the entire kingdom he means to rule. That is something no other King has attempted before, not even Harren Hoare."

Edmyn looked at his maester, but did not ask the question he was pondering, instead, Lord Jason Mallister asked it. "Are you saying that is a good thing or a bad thing?"

Maester Brynden smirked. "A good thing, my lord. For it means that King Aegon is being smart and not allowing himself to be played, and therefore ensuring that Harren the Black cannot use the differing allegiances against him."

"And you think that is a reason to bend the knee to him?" Edmyn asked.

"Yes, my lord. A man who knows to begin compiling one single law code, is a man who is thinking ahead. Such men are rare." Maester Brynden said.

Ser Edward spoke then. "Yes, that is all well and good, but Lord Edmyn, you have not answered my question. Your sister, Lady Celia, is married to Qoren Hoare. How can you reconcile that with a desire to fight for Aegon the Dragon? We all know that Harren Hoare will not bend the knee, nor will his two oldest sons and grandsons. Will Qoren be different?"

"Added to this, will we have to bend to Qoren Hoare, or will we be allowed to choose our own overlord?" Lord Edmond asked.

Edmyn thought over this and then replied. "Qoren knows that his father and brothers are hated within the Riverlands. He knows that House Hoare has done much to bring hatred on itself. He also knows that we are a fractious lot of lords. He commands the respect of both Blackwood and Bracken and of myself and my lady wife, who is also ruling lady of House Charlton. If I speak with him, he will support Aegon the Dragon."

"But will he want claim over the Riverlands?" Lord Edmond pressed.

Melissa, his wife spoke then. "Harrenhal and the Riverlands are the only home he has ever known. He does not know Orkmont."

There was some grumbling at that, so, Edmyn quickly said. "I shall speak with him. I am meeting Qoren at Fairmarket in a week's time. We shall discuss everything then. I would invite you all to attend, if you wish, to know he is genuine."

Ser Edward spoke then. "I shall attend. But I think it is best if we keep the knowledge of this meeting within this circle. Lords Blackwood and Bracken cannot know, nor can Lord Mooton. I think the time has come for us to decide. What are we going to do?"

"Those in favour of siding with Aegon the Dragon, raise your hand." Maester Brynden said.

Edmyn raised his hand, as did Melissa, as did Ser Edward, Lord Jason and Lord Edmond. "So, it is decided. We shall side with Aegon the Dragon." Edmyn said.

"And what of the others? Blackwood and Bracken, and Mooton and others?" Edmond asked.

"Blackwood will side with us; Bracken will go against Blackwood and therefore lose their position in the Riverlands. Mooton will do what his wife tells him. Frey will do whatever Stark tells him to do." Edmyn said.

Melissa laughed then. "Indeed, so it is settled."

"Indeed. We shall need to call our banners." Edmyn said.

0