05. Bel Dharim
71 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Meanwhile, in the Real World: 

She was ducked beneath an old mahogany desk, the sturdiest desk she owned, and she was holding onto the leg for dear life. Her entire body was trembling and would have been even if the tremors had passed. Her knuckles were white with the effort and her arms shook with the strain she was feeling. She winced each and every time she heard something inside break, trying to retreat further and further into herself as if she could just curl up and wait out this nightmare. ‘That’s the only thing I really can do, though…’ Somewhere outside her window, a loud boom echoed through the city. ‘There goes another one.’ She thought. ‘What the hell is going on here?! The city shouldn’t be getting hit with quakes like this!’ The ground seemed to respond angrily to her thoughts, the quake intensifying even further. The sound of another building collapse could be heard somewhere in the city, the sound unimaginably loud. As suddenly as it started things came to a halt. ‘I should try to get out of here.’ 

She released the leg of the table and crawled out from beneath it. She climbed to her feet and looked around her apartment. Trashed. ‘Oh well, I didn’t have anything important anyways.’ She grabbed her purse, blessedly unharmed, and ran to the door. She threw her door open and ran outside. As she looked around, her jaw dropped open, a horrified glint in her eyes. The block was decimated, buildings to her left and right reduced to rubble, cars crushed under massive concrete blocks. The screams of thousands of people, thousands of her neighbors rang out all around her, sobs of horror and fear intermingling with those screams. ‘Why is this happening?’ She would try not to worry about it until she was safe. She ran down the street, climbing over wrecked cars, downed streetlights, downed power lines, in some cases climbing over the rubble of one of the beautiful buildings that had made this street so attractive to her when she moved in. It wasn’t until she turned onto 5th avenue that she realized the true extent of the destruction. Where she had become used to seeing the Trump Tower was just empty space. A little further down the street, she could see an absence where she’d come to expect the Rockefeller Center. ‘It’s… It’s all gone.’ 


In the Dungeon...

Saul opened his hazel eyes. Resolve was evident in his gaze as he examined the gateway to the next level. He took a deep breath and looked down to his animal companion, ready for whatever was to come. He steeled himself and moved forward one step at a time. As he walked through the gateway he felt the cool liquid that shimmered between the stones envelop his body.

He breathed in deeply as he felt the light pass by. The air was moist and felt cool as it entered his nostrils. There was a hint of musk in the air. The smell of moss and stone, of pure water, with the faintest hints of an alpine environment. He could also smell energy in the air, Qi that seemed as old and unyielding as the earth itself. ‘Should I still call the ground earth? What do they call it here, anyways?’ Opening his eyes he found himself looking at massive stone slabs rising from the softly rolling hillside, as if the land had broken open at some point and attempted to kiss the sky. 

The Mountains were beautiful in color, vivid reds intermingling with hints of white and large slabs of brown. Further up green trees could be seen dotting the mountains and even further up pure white fields capped each mountaintop. The mountains themselves were as varied as the environments they contained, some of them jagged as steak knives while others were worn smooth by the ages. 

All of these details were revealed to him by stepping through the gate. It was as if he’d seen an impression of the mountains before crossing through the doorway but now every detail was available for him to appreciate in all its vivid glory. He blinked and turned around and looked behind him at the level he’d just exited. He could still see the Prairie but it looked different somehow as if just a little out of focus. 

Looking down revealed a cobblestone pathway for him to follow. He moved forward along the path with Basi by his side. Through their bond Saul could feel the faintest hints of anxiety. The lizard wasn’t familiar with this type of environment. The cooler climate probably didn’t agree with the reptile’s circulation if lizards even had the same physiology here. For all he knew, Basi was warm blooded. Before they had gone too far they arrived at a crossroads. Planted firmly in the ground by the divergent paths was a signpost that read:

NORTH - Mountain Pass

EAST - Dwarven Village of Bel Dharim

WEST - Mines

He thought for a moment and decided it would be best to gather some more information to start with before he delved deeper into the level. East it was! He and Basi set forth on the eastern path which wound along the foothills at a comfortable elevation, without too many topographical changes. The path was cobblestone and appeared to be well maintained. The level of repairs on the road as well as lack of dirt or debris informed him of the close proximity to the village. 

‘Dwarves, eh? I wonder what they’re like. For real dwarves? Like in DnD? Or maybe they’re different from what I expect. I’m going to make it home somehow, but… I should really appreciate this for what it is.’ His feet found the first imperfection in the road as he let his thoughts distract him. He managed to catch himself before he fell and decided it would probably be best if he paid more attention to his surroundings. From what he could see of the road each stone was perfectly cut and shaped. It was, that one imperfection aside, as impressive as any of the ancient roads he’d seen before. ‘These dwarves are as good at building roads as the Romans, at least. I wonder what the technology is like here.’

Saul’s sense of time wasn’t particularly well developed here. Based on the movement of the star he’d have guessed they had been walking for just over three hours when they summited the tallest hill yet and the village came into view. Situated on the next hill which was still tall but quite a bit shorter than his vantage point. He stood there and admired the town for a while and as he stood there, Basi moved over to nuzzle against his legs. ‘Affection, or warmth? Either way that’s a good boy.’

He saw a village with a sizable wall, carefully crafted with parapets and guard towers. Just over the wall he could see hints of a town almost entirely constructed of stone. Buildings ranging from one story to a few were visible to him, a mixed construction of perfectly squared buildings and more artistic ones that had sloped roofs and a great deal of character. He could see what looked to be a barracks back against the far wall though he was really straining his eyes at that point. ‘Well it certainly looks like something out of a video game… Let’s go check it out.’ 

“Come on, Basi!” They moved energetically to the gate where a gruff figure slid a pole arm over the gate in a fashion that seemed to ward the gate. "State your business." The dwarf growled up at him while looking every bit of what Saul had always expected - The dwarf was about four and a half feet tall, stocky as could be, with a full, bushy beard. The barrel-chested dwarf held the pike comfortably in place and was wearing full-plate armor. ‘Too cool!’

"Ah... I'm just exploring. I was looking to do some trading and get some information about the area." Saul responded. “Better make sure you’re not causing any trouble inside. We’ve had some issues with visitors lately.” He grumbled before knocking his pike against the gate in what seemed to be the signal to open up as the sound of gears behind the wall could be heard turning before the gate began to rise.

"Do you have any advice for someone who's new to the village?" Saul wore his friendliest smile as he questioned the dwarf. He hoped that it was a disarming smile. “Aye, like I said stay out of trouble. We’ve had some issues with your kind coming in and acting foolish. Don’t steal anything, don’t start any fights and you should be fine. Another thing - Keep your animal in line.” 

A flash of displeasure trickled through the bond. Saul glanced down at Basi with raised eyebrows, “He didn’t mean anything by that, boy.” The lizard seemed mollified. Saul looked up and the city seemed to appear before him as the gate rose. First the ground was constructed. Then, the pathway was filled by different people and creatures. Dwarves dressed in all sorts of outfits, from rags to splendid plate armor. There were a few slimes in the crowd. He could see some taller figures moving between the crowd, some of them thickly built and obviously human. Some of them seemed human, but more slender, their movements more graceful. 

Above them buildings appeared. Then finally, sky as the gate clicked into place. “Welcome to Bel Dharim.” The guard said, pulling his pike away from the portal and ushering him in.”

Stepping forward, Saul was almost immediately assaulted by noise. It appeared to be some sort of market. “Fish for sale! Get your fish!” One man cried out, “Arrows! I’ve got every kind you’d want!” A fletcher cried as if in response. “Finest weapons in the land! Come and see what fits your hand!” That drew a smirk. ‘That was clever, a rhyming sales pitch.’ Saul looked left and right as he worked his way through the crowd. He took his time, pausing for a moment here or there to take a look at one merchant’s wares or another. He knew that he wasn’t likely to be able to afford anything. After all, he’d just come to the Dungeon and he hadn’t encountered anything that dropped something that looked like actual money.

Basi seemed to attract a large amount of interest from the passers-by, all of whom did their best to give the powerfully built lizard a wide berth. Saul reached down to pat the lizard as the crowd parted for him. “That’s a good boy.” Reaching the end of the market street he found the crowd had thinned considerably. Against a wall nearby there was a small gathering of people around what looked like a bulletin board and he figured that was as good a place as any to gather some information about the area. He made his way over and read the listings with a curious eye. Some were just advertising, “Best Armor for sale!” “Looking for ore, contact Hemlet for details!”

Others were requests for jobs to be done, “Looking for a carpenter!” or “Need some beasts exterminated!” That one caught his eye. Finally he saw something that looked useful for him, “Contact the local authority for a large job. Problems in the mine need investigation - Several miners disappeared.”

That sounded like his style. He reached up and grabbed the notification in hand before folding it up and placing it in his pocket. The only problem was he didn't know where the local authorities were or whom it was he needed to contact. He began to wander throughout the tow, looking for the right person to speak to about this notification. Eventually he wound up in front of what seemed to be the right building, one that was among the tallest and oldest looking in the village.

Saul stepped through the portal and moved to the desk. To the dwarf behind the counter,  "Hello, I'd like to inquire about this notice." The notice was placed on the counter. The dwarf took a long look at the notice, then up at him, then back down to the notice again. "This? It's na' a job for one person. I'll tell ye about it, but we cannae recommend doing this without help." Saul nodded. "I’m not alone. I have Basi with me. Now, about the job please!"

The clerk looked at Basi, an amused expression flitting across his face. “You can find people who might be willin' to join ya at th’ tavern. I think ye’d best do tha’. As far as the job... We've had a number o' dissapearances in the mines that we cannae explain. Some o' the miners reported hearin' some scratchin' or chitterin' sounds, but I donnae know what is causing the disappearances. We've had a fair bit of trouble from the mountain pass lately so I can't send the town guard in to take care of the situation."

Saul inclined his head to the man and spun towards the door. ‘I’ll need to find a party for this quest.’ He walked through the doors and out onto the street and set off with a purposeful stride. He was halfway down the street before he realized he didn't know where the tavern was. 'I really need to start asking for directions.' After a long period of time spent wandering around the village Saul stopped in front of a building that had to be the place.

"INN" was written in a lazy scrawl on a wooden sign hanging above the door. Pushing his way through the door, he had to squint as his eyes adjusted to the lighting inside, the level low by anyone's standards. There was a small fire smoldering in the fireplace and a few lanterns hung on the wall in strategic places but this was lighting that could make anyone look good. That was usually why places that served drinks did it. There was a constant din in the place, as if everyone was trying to make sure their friends could hear them, then talking even louder when their neighbors did the same.

He made his way to the bar and sat on the stool and looked throughout the room. His gaze swept over the various patrons and he saw a decent number of humans in the mix. ‘More than I expected.’ There were a variety of different people in there. Many of the humans looked like they were taking full advantage of the Dungeon’s unique world. There were people dressed in all sorts of arms and armor from obvious wizards to warriors. 

Leaning by the bar he saw a tall woman with a severe expression and a massive sword strapped across her back. Her body was heavily armored in what looked like bronze plate mail. She stood close to a thin man who was looking up at her with affection in his eyes. He was garbed in crimson, his handsome features peeking out from below a cowl. More than any others present, those two seemed to give the impression of seasoned adventurers. ‘As seasoned as anyone can be… This world has only been here for a few days as far as I know.’ Saul approached the bar next to the two of them. Basi followed close behind and moved to lay beneath the bar in front of his feet.

He withdrew the chipped gemstones he’d found and held them over the bar. “Barkeep! Would this be enough to buy me some ale?” The dwarf came over and took a look in his hand. “This isn’t money, but they look valuable enough. I’ll get you all the drink ye want for the night, some food, and a room to sleep in for them.” A huge grin spread across his face as he held up his hand, three fingers extended. Three mugs appeared in front of him. He slid two of them to the couple next to him.

The man seemed to notice first. His back was turned to Saul, but his shoulders showed surprise as he found a mug sliding into the back of his hand and another shot past him into the woman’s. He grasped the handle and stepped back, half-turning to open himself up to Saul. “Thanks for the drink.” His companion nodded, her severe expression showing signs of distrust. Saul lifted his glass up to them and offered, “Cheers.” before he took a sip. Delightful! 

The two of them exchanged a look before they took a synchronized sip. The man waited a moment before he introduced himself to Saul. His hand gripped Saul’s. His hands were soft, hardly calloused at all. His grip was firm. “Edwin,” He said with a friendly grin on his lips. “And the lovely lady is my friend, Liza.” Saul released Edwin’s hand and reached for hers. Her grip was strong, her hands heavily calloused. She’d clearly been working with that massive weapon of hers. “Hello,” She said. Curt. Distrust evident.

“It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintance! I must admit, it isn’t by chance that I’m standing by you.” Liza’s expression darkened while Edwin’s remained open, even curious. “I’m looking to take on a job that may require some backup… I was wondering if your classes would be a good mix with mine. I’m a ranger. Shooting things from far away is my game.”

Nodding at Liza, “You seem like quite the warrior. Maybe it’s the heavy armor, or maybe it’s the giant sword, but I bet you’re a force to be reckoned with. You…” He addressed Edwin, “Well, I imagine you do some sort of magic. That’s useful too.” 

“Say we joined you. What’s in it for us?” Liza asked immediately. Smart. ‘She’s the one who drives a hard bargain. This guy seems like he’s ready to help already.’ He shrugged, “I can’t really say. The local officials have offered some sort of reward. I imagine treasure is involved in whatever is causing the issue. We’ll split it equally, as long as it makes sense. I won’t take anything that makes me do spells better, for example. I don’t have any magic.” 

Edwin nodded his assent, then looked behind him and up at Liza. ‘Jesus, she’s tall.’ Her expression was hard, but she gave a small nod. “Great! Now, we need to find someone who can help keep us alive. A cleric, perhaps. Barkeep!” He yelled, banging on the bar to get the dwarf’s attention. “Do you know any clerics who’d be free for a mission?” The dwarf nodded in the direction of one of the dwarves over by the fire. The man had chain mail on and a battle hammer hanging from his waist. 

“Another round! An extra mug! And let’s go get our healer.” Refills in hand, the three members of the group and Basi moved towards the dwarf. Saul came to stand before him. When Liza and Edwin moved closer, flanking him, Saul saw his hand drift nervously towards that battle hammer. “Greetings, friend!” Saul shoved a drink at that hand. “We’re going adventuring and we hear you’re the dwarf to talk to about keeping us alive!” 

He seemed startled, looking up at the three of them. “What are you on about? Who says I’m the dwarf to talk to?” Saul nodded towards the barkeep. “Lindrin is always meddling in my affairs… Aye, I’m a cleric. And I’m also a mercenary. What do you have to offer?” 

Saul reached into his pockets and pulled out the notice. “How about the gratitude of the authorities of Bel Dharim? And a quarter of the treasure and reward?” He saw a glint in the dwarf’s eye. Apparently he was the avaricious type. “So, is that agreeable?” After a long moment, and a long draw on the ale, the dwarf nodded. “Name’s Reric. I’ll keep you alive.”

Saul brought his hand down on the dwarf’s shoulder in a friendly gesture, “Excellent!” Tonight, we relax. We party. We drink. And we rest. We’ve got a busy day ahead of us tomorrow!" They did just that. By the time Saul crawled into bed he felt like death warmed over. After a good night's sleep, he just felt like he was on the edge of death. 

The next morning he took a seat on the ground in his meditative pose. He began to slip into his relaxed state, breathing deeply. Each breath in and out helped to calm his stomach. He felt the energy flowing in and out of his body.

Inhale. 

Qi flowed into his body. Circulated through his system. Cleansed him.

Exhale.

Toxins flew out of his body. His stomach felt better. 

Inhale. 

More Qi entered. He focused on it's path and tried to bring it near to his stomach as if to clean his sickness away. 

Exhale. 

More improvement.

He spent the next hour like this. The gentle light of morning trickled through the curtains in the room. It warmed him. Gave him more energy. After a nice breakfast he'd be perfectly ready to take on whatever was lurking in the mines. He made his way downstairs and a large breakfast was placed in front of him by a new bartender who apparently knew of his arrangement with the previous barman. A huge pile of fluffy eggs, thick slices of bacon, fresh bread and honeyed butter. 

By the time he was done with breakfast, Liza and Edwin were making their way downstairs in each other's company. Reric came in a short while later through the front door. 'Invite Liza.' He thought. Nothing happened. "There has to be a party system, right?" He asked Liza and Edwin. They nodded, "We're in each other's party, but we came through the gateway together." The dwarf scoffed as he looked up at all three of them. "You have to say it out loud. Parties are formed through verbal communication. Party invite: name."

Saul nodded. "Party invite: Reric! Party invite: Liza! Party invite: Edwin!" Before long, all three of their statuses were displayed near his own. He could see their health bars as well as their mana. 'Well then...' Saul grinned at his new companions, "Let's head out!"

1