10. Cultivation in the Deeps!
40 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The moment the party stepped into the Deeps, they found the level of ambient Qi in the air nearly suffocating. It was unlike anything Saul had experienced thus far on the surface - The air was positively ripe with Qi, so thick and powerful that it was almost visible. The air was heavy and oppressive. Breath came with exceptional difficulty there. 

Aware of the dangers of the Deeps, Saul’s party didn’t wander very far into the underground tunnels. No more than a hundred paces from the entrance they stopped. Sounds could be heard through the tunnels. Movements. The sounds of life. “Best be careful down here.” Reric whispered. “The monsters here are stronger than anything on the surface here. The Darkforge dwarves only survive through the strength of men like the commander and their massive armies.” 

Liza spoke up, “Just how strong are we talking?” Reric shook his head, “The individual creatures here are probably much stronger than he was but they can be overwhelmed with sheer numbers…” That was ominous. “Well then, let’s get in and get out.” Saul, Liza and Edwin took a seat on the ground there. Reric withdrew his hammer and leaned against the tunnel wall. Basi moved to take a spot just ahead of the group. Saul felt a protective instinct through the bond. ‘Good boy.’ 

Saul got into the appropriate position and drew in a slow, steady breath. It came easily despite the weight of the air. Energy flooded into his body in massive quantities, slamming into his pathways. He grabbed control of it and directed it towards his dantian, which felt as if it were replenished just from his first breath alone. ‘This is going to be very productive.’ Inhale. Energy flooded his core. Wore at the edges. Exhale. 

Inhale.

Deeper, stronger. More primal. Power flooded his core again, nearly to the breaking point. He concentrated. Brought the energy into his being. 

Exhale.

He could feel the energy in the air held an untamed nature. When he thought of the energy he couldn’t help but picture a massive wall of stone that was ancient and unchanged by the years. He could tell it was somewhat different from the energy that was inside his core - That energy seemed totally pure as if untouched by elements. It was a stark contrast to this wild energy.

Inhale

He continued to press energy towards that pure ball of power in his core to flood it with the wild Qi that he was totally immersed in.

Exhale. 

The tension flooded from his body. Strain reduced for now. He prepared for more.

Inhale.

With every breath more power was forced into his dantian. In his mind’s eye he could see the energy entering his core as a deep blue color, swirling and mixing with the pure white light there and ultimately fading away as it was consumed by the white energy.

Exhale.

The white light would flood his body again. Power surged forth from his core through his channels. They were washed clean of any taint from the energy in the air.

Inhale.

He drew more of the deep blue energy into his body, resulting in that tempest in his core. He could see the battle between blue and white. The blue energy struggled then faded as it was washed clean.

Exhale.

Sweat was breaking out on Saul’s forehead as he continued to cultivate, his body nearing its limit for holding power. He drew in another deep breath and held it firmly while forcing more and more of the energy into his dantian. It felt almost as if it were going to burst. He could feel it growing like a muscle. 

Inhale.

His body shook with the effort. He forced the energy through his body to his core and flooded it with that wild energy. 

Something snapped.

Energy began to pour forth from his dantian, the pure white light surging forth out of his control. The energy seemed to scour his channels burning hot as it surged through his body. The flood sought new pathways, threatening to overfill the channels he had open. Suddenly he realized that the energy was being held back by something. It was as if the energy was being forced to bypass an area it should be able to flow through naturally. He saw the issue. Qi gathered near to his heart.

He tried to calm himself and steel his resolve to push the energy forward. Despite its division in several separate flows, he was able to control each flow. The hesitations were surrounding something just big enough to give the impression of another core. Gritting his teeth, he gave one last strong push and it felt as though something broke within him. Qi flooded his body in ways it never had before, thundering into that empty space, before he felt as though the light went out entirely.

Spent, he collapsed backwards, his chest heaving as he tried to calm his breath, his body absolutely covered with sweat and grime. He was nearly passed out from the effort but he felt as though it would all be worth it once he recovered. His muscles ached fiercely, his energy stores all but depleted. He lay there for as long as he dared in the dangerous Deeps.

Looking to his left and right he could see Edwin and Liza were in similar poses to what he’d used. They used the same breathing technique, as if they had learned to cultivate together. ‘Makes sense. They seem to be close friends. Perhaps more.’

Edwin’s features were screwed up in concentration and he was biting his lip as he continued to breathe in and out. Liza was similarly focused though she managed to look serene - Her features were usually harsh, with some scars on her cheeks and chin making them look even more severe - but the usual severe expression he was used to was replaced with the bliss that could be found in meditation.

In a few moments, Saul had recovered somewhat enough to notice the notification that had popped up while he cultivated.

In flooding your dantian and scouring your core clean, you have unlocked Cultivation: Foundation, Lvl V!

That wasn’t all.

Through overfilling your Core, you have released your energy to seek new pathways! By forcing energy into your Second Core, you have become a second level cultivator! Your cultivation level is now Basic, Lvl I! You have access to new abilities, and your Qi will grant you greater strength!

 

‘New abilities, eh? I wonder what those entail. Probably related to Qi infusion.’ “Reric, you said most dwarves can’t cultivate… Does that mean you can’t use Qi? Are any of the races native to the Dungeon able to use Qi?” 

The dwarf mulled the question over for a moment. “There are some who use Qi. The ones who can go through the portals. You might be able to find some races that can use Qi. Maybe even monsters. I’d guess that you will when you get to higher levels.”

He expressed his gratitude for the information. He gathered his strength to stand up and take a defensive position on the opposite wall. He looked down to inspect his body. He could see the dirt that had gathered on his body even in the dim light - That was strange, he hadn’t thought he was dirty after their encounter with the Darkforge commander.

“So, what typically lives down here?” He asked Reric in hushed tones, trying to avoid disturbing his party, or anything that could be nearby. “There are a large number of beasts found in the Deeps. The Deeps are actually found all throughout this land, if you know where to look. Different areas have different depths, but this is kind of… The heart of things.”

Reric seemed to be implying the Deeps was underneath every level of the Dungeon. Then again, he didn’t really know how much the dwarf knew about the Dungeon itself. Was he aware of their world, and the way it was divided? “Reric, what do you know about this land? Have you been to the Prairie, or to whatever lies beyond the mountain pass?”

The dwarf shook his head in response. “Some dwarves can go through the gates, but many of us can’t. I don’t rightly know why, but it’s always been that way. We used to maintain the doors in case we’d receive visitors from other levels, but save the occasional slime or elf, it’s been a long time since that’s happened. Until now with all you humans coming along.” He leaned away from the wall and began to pace. His steps were soft enough to barely be audible. "It doesn't really matter to me why that is. There are a few adventurers from every race. The only exception so far seems to be you all."

Saul bowed to the dwarf. "Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me." He fell silent for the time. He remained vigilant at first, but soon enough he let his mind wander. 'The mysteries in this place are intriguing, I have to admit. I still need to get home but... Maybe just long enough to check on everyone. I want to know more about this place. Someone needs to document things.'

His train of thought was broken when his allies began to rise. Liza broke her cultivation first and she smiled as she stood. She didn’t seem to have a breakthrough like Saul had but for all he knew she was further along in things than he was. Edwin stood a few minutes later. Roars and strange sounds came echoing up the tunnel at that moment. "Let's go." He whispered. They fled the Deeps as quickly as they could. 

The dwarves from Bel Dharim had arrived while they were cultivating. The contingent didn't waste any time at all. They looked the Darkforge corpses and then piled them in the Deeps. One of them noticed Saul's curious eyes watching them. "If we can attract a few powerful beasts with these, we'll keep the Darkforge dwarves from coming back for a while. They'll get a taste for Darkforge meat." He made a face. 'Gruesome. It makes sense though.'

They sealed up the hole to the Deeps in almost no time at all. Their powerful bodies moved massive stones as if only took the slightest bit of effort. Two of the dwarves laid hands on the stones as they were stacked and mumbled something in a strange language, and the stones would seal themselves closed. Unsurprisingly, Saul had never seen any magic like that.

It wasn’t long before the holes were totally sealed and the party was on its way back to the Village. Their return journey was swift and easy. A large patrol had just swept the area and ensured it was clear. Saul nodded to the dwarf guarding the gate as they returned. The gruff dwarf gave him a respectful nod as he let them in. 'I think he might have smiled at me!' Saul thought as they made their way into the town.

Before long he was standing in the town hall once more. He nodded a greeting to the dwarf who responded, “Heard ya rescued the miners in th’ mine. Can’ say I expected tha’.” The gruff dwarf had a huge smile on his face as he reached below the desk, withdrawing a bunch of gold coins and placing them on the counter top. He produced several pouches as well. Saul couldn't count exactly how much money his share was going to be, but it seemed to be close to 100 gold coins. 'Seems like a lot of money.'

“I’ll split this up four ways for ya’, and as thanks fer your efforts I’ll cover yer bill at the inn. As far as I’m concerned yer heroes, one and all!” His fingers moved deftly over the coins splitting them into four even piles. Saul waved his hand over his pile to draw them into his inventory, excited to have some money. His armor was in severe need of an upgrade.

“I’m just happy that we managed to save almost everyone." Saul responded. 'That was really reward enough. I won't complain about the coin, though.' He turned to face his allies and bowed deeply. "Thank you for all of your help. I truly couldn't have done it without you. You all earned your shares." He put a hand on Reric's shoulder. "You are an excellent healer. I wouldn't be standing here if it wasn't for you." The dwarf grumbled good naturedly, but beneath his beard there was a faint tinge of pink to his cheeks.

He extended an offer to Liza and Edwin, "I think our party works well together. Though we wouldn't have a healer, I'd like it if you would consider adventuring further with me." Edwin clapped Saul on the shoulder, “If Liza agrees, I'd be interested in continuing our party. If not, I'd certainly work with you again if we find ourselves at the same place sometime in the future.” Liza took longer to mull things over before she finally said, “I’m thinking of leaving tomorrow. If we’re leaving at the same time let’s travel together. Otherwise I'll wish you good luck.”

That was fair enough as far as Saul was concerned.

With an inventory full of gold and a heart full of joy he bid his farewell to everyone for the time being. He strode out of the building with purpose. 'Time for some upgrades!'

0