The New Kid
35 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

        Near the heart of the Galaxy, a massive station had been built, and over the millennia that it had existed it had only gotten larger and more impressive as ownership of the station changed hands that would, in turn, share it with others, any and all adding bits to the station to signify a sort of Galactic Unity in at least having a presence there, at the heart of Galactic politics, trade, and diplomacy. The name of the station was simply "Galactix Heart" with some variation depending on species and language.

    Today Samual had several items to address to the Galactix Council on behalf of his species and his Beloved Earth. At first, Humanity hadn't been especially kind to it's home, though not particularly malicious toward it either, though the harm negligently done was still done, and once Humanity had managed to escape her suffocating motherly embrace, Humanity realized the harm it had done and made great strides to help heal over those wounds before finally striking out on its own, being mindful of its collective actions until running up against something altogether new. Alien life and the resultant war of the first contact had been brief, bloody, and the sort of explosive entrance into the galactic political scene Humanity hadn't known it had needed.

    Now, Humanity is as divided as ever, yet united in defense and love of its origin and home. Every system, every government off Earth and out of the Solar System is free to do as it pleases with their spheres of territory and against one another as they see fit, so long as they avoid instigating conflict with non-humans and abide by the one and only true unifying factor of human space: Defend Earth, answer the Unified Call to war should any non-human strike at any human system that system did not strike first.

    As a result of Earth's Imperial authority and lax enforcement of any rule over the many territories humanity had claimed and colonized, humanity was an empire of fiefs and mercenaries that could, and did, hire themselves out to any that could afford their rates, and many aliens indeed could, and did, afford those rates for their own wars. Loyal fiefs and competent mercenaries.

    Samual mentally shook himself from his thoughts as he entered the council chamber, a massive open space where hundreds of thousands could physically be while so many more that couldn't fit could digitally participate from other areas of the station. He sat his seat, having entered the Alcove of Earth's presence, his aides, guards and other diplomatic staff from Earth also taking their places within. It was a cozy if an austere, little platform with all the minutiae needed for any meeting of the council. He took the time to acknowledge greetings from other councilors within the open space and send out his own greetings via the console of his platform, flipping through the various channels before the meeting was called to order and began.

    Samual eyed the itinerary, of the meeting, seeing that, as usual, the topics would start with the minor details of informing everyone of notable events and actions, followed by what policies the council would be enacting or enforcing for the next several cycles, then finally public announcements from various councilors, such as wars, trade embargos, new member species and the like. Samual's part was minor in that he was simply there to be there, to announce the newest weapons tech developed by the minds of Humanity, as well as offering some aide to recently devastated species.

    Samual was surprised when the council had finally reached the public announcements. He was queued to be the fifth to speak, not entirely uncommon as he was usually closer to the twentieth with some variance. What surprised him was his console blinking to indicate that the fourth speaker, a relatively new member of the council, and a neighbor discovered by Humanity barely a year ago, had an announcement related to, and directly addressed to him via the council. An odd thing to be sure, and likely a rookie mistake, as anything related to trade or diplomacy outside of war was meant to happen between the two of them before ever going to the council, but it was a somewhat common mistake with newer species, and one Samual wasn't overly miffed about.

    "Human. Councilor Samual, I speak now only so that you may know what is upon you. My people have shaken the spear of war and your recent colony D'argonne is razed and we come for you. We will show the galaxy you are pitiful and we, not you, are the greatest of warriors, and our armies shall best yours at war!"

    Samual jerked in his seat in surprise at the words broadcast across the suddenly silent space. Rarely, if ever, had there been a moment in Samual's memory that the space, once filled, was ever silent. Quiet at times, yes, but silent, no. Now he looked out into that silence and saw the shock and surprise of other councilors, the already grim acceptance and anger of his fellow humans. At first Samual's surprise turned to shocked anger, then righteous fury. No one strikes at Humanity, let alone declares war after said strike. Then his anger fell around to cool acceptance and contempt for that neighbor about to learn one of the hardest lessons of the galaxy.

    He moved to respond to the insipient fool but was beaten to the punch when another alien voice washed over him. "To the fool that just declared war with the best and premier of all at the art of war, I pity you and yours, and while you might yet find allies with grudges to grind against the humans, know that you will have many more willing to observe this war with great interest and that the Xiln, one of the core powers will be betting on Humanity not only winning, but winning spectacularly. Understand that even I, with the full power of a core power, would hesitate to declare war on the humans, as they have already fought us and another, and our victories were more costly than we have yet encountered for millenia."

    Samual was standing now, a grim grin spread across his face as he saluted the Xiln councilor, and the acknowledgment of one of Humanity's very few military losses the galaxy wide, even as his console lit up with many others agreeing with the Xiln.

    "Neighbor, you wound me, starting the party without first inviting me, for had I known, I would have arrived prepared and willing. Instead, I now must send word home that we have a party favor to return. Hear me now, as you will hear from Humanity soon enough. You have struck at us who have done naught but trim our hedges and tend our crops. Now we find that the hedges are hacked to pieces and our crops trampled. Our answer to this act of aggression is total and extreme. We not only accept your declaration of war for what it is, but we reciprocate with extreme prejudice."

    His grin had grown into a full toothed smile now as he spoke to the councilor now at war with him. The Isartar was a relatively young species, scaled but not exactly reptilian, and were an extreme form of imperial rule with a very much warrior society with a rather impressive professional army that has been so far untested against any major power. It would figure that the new kid would pick a fight with one of the kids near the top. Samual was sure Humanity would suffer great losses from this surprise war, but at the same time, what he was about to do would ensure Humanities full attention to this affront.

    "As the speaker for Earth and her colonies, the voice of the Solar Empire within Galatix Heart, I call now on all Human systems to the first Unified Call to War in seventy-three years. I enact the defense of home clause in every Human mercenary outfit, and the War Bounties Act is now in effect. As I speak, Earth is being hailed and her Legions raised, her Warriors of Steel being called to action, and her Iron Curtain activated. Peers of the Council, should you be employing any Human assets, know that they must expedite their assignments to return home for war unless otherwise specified in their respective fields of duty. As the Unified Call to War has been issued and Earth will mobilize within days of this meeting, if not sooner, I and my staff will be in full military regalia during the duration of this war, and any targets of opportunity must be eliminated."

    This last was directed at the Isartar Councilor as Samual ended his part in the council space for the day and left the alcove with his staff in tow, his chief communications aide let him know that the live feed would reach Earth in a week, and his session in the council would arrive in just two days. Hopefully it would be enough time for the Colonies near the neighbor, and hopefully D'argonne was still whole.

0