Chapter 3: Baptized by the Fire
41 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"You people sure love walking in the night, huh."

Prism was ignored by everyone except for Cherry, who was looking at her like a mother bear protecting her cubs.

"Hey, I'm okay. I didn't care at all about what those villagers said."

But Cherry wouldn't stop looking at her, making Prism feel ridiculous as she was the one who was supposed to protect the group. The group's position also changed. Chroma, Marcus, and Cherry were in the front. Celosia was slightly behind them, Prism was behind Celosia, and Apoy was in the far back of the group. They weren't chatting with each other, unlike last night with their excitement at the start of their journey obvious.

"Hmmm. I should do something to lighten these kids up." Prism thought to herself while wondering why she thought that. Walking along an uphill, she stopped for a blink of an eye. 

This was the time Celosia's single fringe proved useful. She deliberately designed her own hair to be as sensitive to the wind as possible, making any small movement detectable to her. 

"Huh?!" 

She saw her hair move forwards.

"From behind?!"

She saw the Pluvian running at full speed towards Chroma, with her tooth dagger prepared to strike as she slices through the still wind. Celosia speedily ran to block Prism's way.

"CHROMA! WATCH OUT!"

And when he turned around, what he saw was a calm Prism and an exhausted Celosia. The dull edge of the tooth knife almost within his neck's reach if not for the clashing of Celosia's wheeler. It was the first time they saw the folded steel of her weapon crack. It was a very call call.

"Uwah! That was surprising!"

Despite the absence of any resentment from Chroma, Celosia pulls Prism's cotton shirt and confronts her head-on as her heart beats faster from her shock of the thought of possibly losing her friend.

"HEY?! WHAT THE HELL IS THE MEANING OF THIS, PLUVIAN?!"

"Look. This isn't the side of the dagger that I use to slash."

She pushes Celosia gently away from her and brushes her index finger at the aforementioned side, demonstrating its bluntness. Celosia was blinded by her anger though. 

"YOU WERE TRYING TO-"

"-test your reaction times. It seems that you were the fastest, and Marcus the worst."

This was a quickly made-up white lie. She just wanted to bring life to her companions once again. It seemed to work, as everyone had their reactions to the said scene.

"I felt something, but I just didn't do anything, Miss Prism."

"A part of a good reaction is knowing how to do so, Cherry. Feeling it is not enough."

"Did something happen?"

"HEY! WHAT WILL YOU DO MY WHEELER?! PAY FOR THE BROKEN STEEL!"

"We have lots of coppers, Celosia. I'm sure we can afford it oursel-"

"Here."

Prism gave Celosia her 10,000 coppers with no hesitation.

"W-wha-"

"I don't give a crap about my money. I can gather the materials I need."

"Miss Huntress, 10,000 coppers can buy you 100,000 bread! That'll last you for like forever!"

"I can hunt and cook my own food."

"Knock it off, Celosia!"

Cherry had a face that surprisingly scared Celosia to her core, allowing her to think more about her actions especially with that guilt she has been feeling she cannot understand.

"Tch. Then I'll just get 100 coppers."

Celosia returned most of Prism's money and slowly moved backwards with shame. 

"Celo-"

Prism taps Chroma in the shoulders as if to say, "Leave her alone for now."

 

 

Although not what she has envisioned, some semblance of life did come back to the group with the three teenagers talking about what to expect for their next destination, Vulcanus. Only Celosia had her fire burnt out. And to top off the coldness in her soul, the dark skies wept with freezing white flakes of snow. It was the start of winter in the Auster Peninsula. 

The landscape was starting to be layered with the chilling frozen water. Everyone started to use their Arts to counter the cold, a Red art that covers the entire body with heat that is enough to insulate them from the weather. It was an art that everyone in the entire world knows because of its usefulness. Thus, winter is not something to be troubled with because of the cold, but because it is the time food becomes a precious commodity, especially because as arts drain a person's hunger. 

The group only had the lamp posts and the road to guide them towards the city as the dreamlike-fog blocks anything a meter away from their sights. The shadows from the spruce trees vanish the further they got away from Cremeria, and more and more of the typical Red Grass can be barely seen thanks to the illumination of the posts.

"We are near Vulcanus, Miss Prism. Look at the grasses, it's different from Cremeria's Blood Range."

"I can't tell the difference."

"That's fine."

And sure enough, they saw the famous statue of the main god of the Crimson people, Vulcan. The god of volcanoes. The giver of the land. Carved from the basaltic rocks found near the absolute monster of a volcano the size of quadruple the Father volcano of Cremeria, it portrays an old, strangely built man holding a torch on his right hand and a small cast iron cauldron on his left, seemingly pouring something out of it.

"Awwwe! I'm sorry Miss Huntress that you had to see this statue during this horrible fog! There's special trick here that always amazes newcomers to Vulcanus!"

Everyone except Prism nods in agreement to what Marcus said.

"Anyways, we have to go to the local Inn. Can't enjoy Vulcanus in the night, after all!"

Everyone except Prism nods in agreement to what Cherry said.

"I wonder what this place is."

She looks around, but can only see a trail of light in the distance.

"That's a secret, Prism. Now, now. You know where the Inn is, right, Celosia?"

It has been a while since Celosia spoke. But with Chroma's invitation, she had no choice but to do so.

"Yeah. My relatives own the place."

Chroma went closer to Celosia and whispered in her ears:

"It's your time to relax. Cheer up, okay?"

She blushed from his kindness and from his breath that softly brushed her ears. She led the way to the place they'll stay for the night. 

"You better follow me, especially you, Pluvian!"

Prism saw a little flame in her eyes.


The city was better planned than the capital. The grid-like streets gives an intuitive sense for its inhabitants on where each district each, with the Common district where travelers stay found on the west side of the city. They found themselves in an entrance of a building with a heraldic charge with an engraved symbol, three curved lines with a horizontal crescent surrounding it.

"This is it! Vers Spring Inn!"

"Vers Spring Inn?"

"Vulcanus! The city of hot springs! Let's take a bath tomorrow, Miss Prism!"

"Ooooh. I haven't been to one before. Might be good to relax these tense muscles."

As they enter the premises of the inn, they see a white-haired girl sleeping peacefully on the counter with lots of books, most likely some sort of ledger, beside her. It was only then that they got hit by sleepiness that they were battling for a while now.

"So, who will wake her up? We need to sleep as *yawn* quick as possible."

"*yawn* Maybe it should be you, Marcus."

"I'd feel bad waking her up. Look at her... she has drool on her lips."

Chroma whispers something at Marcus, and he suddenly went towards the counter, his ears redder than usual.

"Hey, Chroma. What did you say to him?"

"Nothing much."

Marcus first tried talking normally, saying things like "Excuse me!" or "Miss Receptionist?". It gradually turned into "Heeey?", "Helloooo?", and "Ooooiii?". He, then, poked her cheeks several times, only prompting some grunts from her.

"Wow, she's in deep sleep."

He gradually went closer and closer to her face to observe the little movements in her round glasses, finding it cute. That is until she opened her eyes widely.

"...good morning."

"Good morning, regina meis."

"Huh, yeah, I'm Regina. Welcome to Vers Spr-*yawn*-ing."

Marcus' attempt to impress the receptionist: failed.

"Uhhh. We're going to stay here for two nights. Got any room for the six of us?"

The frail gal fixes her hair and sits in a more upright position. She checks one of the books and delivers them bad news:

"Unfortunately, all the big rooms are taken. There are two rooms that can handle three people each, though."

Once again, Cherry and Celosia argued on what decision they will take.

"That's fine. We should split the group in half."

"Huh? We should just find another Inn! I won't sleep next to the Pluvian and the slave!"

"What the hell? Vers Spring is the best place to stay and bathe in the springs! You, out of all of us, should know that, Celosia! Besides, your cousins own this place!"

"Then you stay with them!"

"H-Huh? I never said I would go to the same room as them! I think you would be the best, so that you may learn shit!"

"Huh?!"

"Huhhhh?!

"It looks like capitalism has once failed our society once again. Right, Chroma? Chroma?"

"Art of Red: 9!"

Chroma stopped the gals from arguing in public, with a flames on his hands. 

"I'll be the one who'll stay with Prism and Apoy. Understand?"

"Okay." "Sure."

"Is that alright with you, Prism, Apoy?"

"Yeah."

"It's my pleasure, Master Chroma."


Their rooms are basically identical, resembling more of a Minamian room made up of wooden floors and sliding doors. There is a small figurine the same as the obsidian statue on the entrance of the city with a book containing the sacred texts of the Crimson religion. Just like Cherry's home, Minamian futons are the beds in this homely resort. 

"I'm always amazed when I see Minamian rooms near a volcano. Everything here is flammable! Near an active volcano! Won't they burn?!"

"Sheesh, Marcus. You already know how they do it."

"Yeah, yeah. Ahhhhh~! I'm so excited for tomorrow! I can't wait to see the beautiful receptionist once again!"

"Yeah." "Sure."

"And! And! We're definitely going to hike Vulcan! It's always cool to see the lava-filled crater, right?!"

"Yeah." "Sure."

Marcus sighed and gave up on trying to lift up the dead atmosphere between the two gals on the opposite sides of him.

"This isn't how being alone with two girls supposed to be."


"Hey, kid. That figure is the same as the one earlier, isn't it?"

While Apoy was arranging their stuff and fixing their beds, Chroma was staring out into the city while Prism curiously observes the figure of Vulcan.

"Yeah. Together with the Sacred Book, those are the most common things you can find in the rooms of our people."

"Heh...." Prism noted in herself that Cherry's home doesn't have one. She tried reading the Sacred Book, only to remember that she can't read Crimsonian. 

"This is useless to me."

"Master Chroma, Mistress Prism, the room is now clean and your beds are prepared properly for sleeping."

The room turned sparkling clean compared to the dusty hole it was just some minutes ago.

"Excellent work."

"If I may." She bowed down to Chroma and directed her hand towards the futon on the side of the room.

"Good job, Apoy." Chroma pats the head of Apoy, putting a smile on her face, "You may sleep."

"Thank you."

 

 

Chroma kept looking at Apoy, prompting the curiosity of Prism.

"It must be a tough life being a her. If there's another reason why I became a huntress, it's definitely freedom."

"You understand, don't you, Prism? The struggles she must feel inside. The life she has..."

He deeply sighed.

"But I can't do anything drastic yet. I don't have any power in this country despite being a prince. Fucking dammit! I'm so weak..."

"I think you're too sleep deprived. You need some sleep, Chroma."

"Y-yeah. Sorry, Prism. I'll turn in first. Good night."

"Good night."

 

 

With the howling night breeze outside of the room, slightly entering the small crevices on the translucent sheets on the lattice frame, Prism stares in the cypress ceiling.

"They are good lads. But, I only have one mission. Now is not the time."


"Heyyy! Chroma! we're going to eat breakfast." Marcus' voice was loud enough to wake up Prism.

"Hmnng. So bright..."

The morning ray perfectly hits the eyes of the huntress. When she got up, she saw Chroma and Apoy already awake.

"Okayyyy. We're just waiting for Prism to- nevermind, she's awake."

The door quickly slides open, revealing Marcus outside.

"Where?!" 

He saw Prism's bedhair in all of its glory. A jungle of hues mixed together that doesn't make any sense and order was a sight to behold for the boy used to seeing monochrome red his entire life.

"Huwaaaah. My eyees feeel weiiiiiiirdddd. This is not what I expected."

"I get what you feel."

 

 

After prepping themselves up, they went to the main hall of the Inn, where the receptionist can be found, there are several wooden tables, filled with plates full of red meat and fruits. 

"I can never get used to this!"

"And here's your dark roast coffee."

The receptionist from earlier, now wearing a white dress with a floral crown, much like a maid, is now handing them the house specialty of Vers Springs. Prism never saw the dark brown before. She smells its earthly aroma first, then takes a sip of the cup of coffee. Her eyes lit up with joy.

"Holy... this is..."

It was the first time she tasted something so bitter, yet so sweet with a rich aftertaste that is mellow and deep. She felt immediately awake from the heat that entered her digestive tract. Because of her newfound energy, she was able to appreciate the various paintings that hang from the walls.

There was also an interesting painting on the ground near them, depicting a Crimson woman on a more traditional outfit which Chroma informed Prism that it is showing a celebration of Favi. Adding the naked Crimson women, blazing volcanoes, fearsome leviathan creatures, and much more paintings, while a lady playing a lyre of six strings made of tortoise-shell, wonderful feelings were able to penetrate the imagination of the huntress. 

"...perfect."

"Thank you, dear guest. You're the first Pluvian to drink our specialty."

"Hey, where are these made of?"

"Coffee beans."

"?" Her head bobbed sideways, signaling to everyone that she doesn't know what the plant is, to the surprise of everyone in the room.

"We'll find one someday, Miss Huntress!"

"S-sure. This full course dinner is almost perfect... if not for the bland selection full of red."

"My, my! Then, you appreciate this? Miss Pluvian?"

 

 

The clashing of the jewelery on her golden necklace captured everyone's attention. Her face was covered by a translucent, scarlet fabric, only faintly you can see the green tinge of her lips. With a dark shawl loosely worn over her head, her entire body is hidden by the thick, long, loose dark blue garment except for her light blue hands holding some strange blue fruit. This was the first time the teenagers saw a Blue person. 

".السلام عليكم" Prism smiled widely and softly shook her hands.

".اووووه. و عليكم السلام"

"Woah?! You speak their language too?"

"Yes. The Commonwealth of Azuria is the nearest country from Pluvia, after all. Do you mind if I speak in Crimsonian? I'm accompanying these brats for a quest I'm doing."

"We see... It's okay. First time see Pluvian and Crimson together. We come from opposite side of Ark. Sorry if I not speak good."

The Azure woman places her hand on her chest and introduces herself.

"Fayruz ibn Wali ibn Lu’ay al-'Azraq."

The Crimson teens felt like they were transported in another world. Prism understands their bewilderment and clarifies what she said.

"Ahh... They don't know how your names work. I think you can just call her Fayruz."

"Hmph. As if this Pluvian wasn't enough."

The Azure woman was filled with delight in her tone, "My, my! As they say! Red people always angry!"

"Bloody hell, Celosia! You're feeding our stereotypes to the outside world!" Marcus said to Celosia while carefully examining the blueberry Prism is holding.

"Maybe we do deserve those stereotypes..."

"Cherry... Ah, excuse us. I'm Chroma Cremeria Scarlet." There were whispers from other people when they heard his surname.

"Marcus Luctunia Carmine, Miss Azure."

"I'm Cherry Rosilva Vermillion! Just call me Cherry! Nice to meet you, Miss Fayruz!"

"...Celosia."

"Nice to meet you!"

Her smile was so pure that one can't help but feel a warm feeling in their heart when you see it. Prism takes a bite out of the blueberry.

"Hnnng! Sweet! Thank you."

"No problem!"

"Ahhhh, already talking with the locals, Fay?"

"Yeah. This Pluvian not local though. Everyone, He Fahim, my husband."

 

 

The long-beard Azurian man also wore an attire similar to her, covering his entire body with an ankle-length white tunic with a red square cotton scarf on his head wrapped in a strong cord.

"Husband?! But you look so young, Miss Fayruz!"

"I am? My, my!"

"How can you even tell when you can only see her face?"

"You really suck at people, Celosia."

"You're the one who kicked her elder."

Chroma cuts the two before the situation escalated, "Why are you here at Vulcanus, Fayrus and Fahim?"

"Well, our half-Crimson friend recommended us to go bathe in this city. She said that there's nothing like hot springs on the red lands!"

"We arrive just today. We try later after climb volcano."

"H-half Crimson?"

"Yeah. Father Crimson, mother Azure."

The four had different reactions to what they heard.

"People like that exist?! I can't believe someone ran away from the empire... Does he also eat blue foods?"

"I see... A Crimson leaving the Empire..."

"Wow... Leaving the empire and starting a family with another color... That's forbidden, isn't it?"

"A traitor to the empire, obviously. Diluting the purity of our race. I hope the scum never returns."

"My, my! Celosia exactly like what half-friend said about Crimsons!"

The teenagers were surprised on how lightly Fayruz took Celosia's derogatory words towards her friend and her father. Prism proceeds to explain the prevailing attitude of the Azurians. Throughout the entire Ark, the Azurians are well-known as the most patient, hospitable, and friendliest people you could find. They heavily took inspiration from the calm seas of their east coast. 

"'The lull of the sea, the heart of the Azurian.' is what I frequently heard back when I was hunting on the Azul snowy mountains."

"Exactly, huntress. Fay here is such a precious piece of a woman. I'm so glad I met her." 

The married couple proceeded to kiss in front of everyone. The Crimson people are very reserved when it comes to stuff regarding romance and sexuality, and that's why they looked so disturbed.

"Oh, and they're also known for their public display of affection."

"Bloody Vulcan! Show some manners, bloody rabbits!"

"Rabbits? Ahhhh, those critters really love to fuck, don't they? Hahahahaha!"

They took it as a compliment instead of Celosia's intended insult.

"If you like, want come together to climb Vulcan? We friend now!"

"We wouldn-"

Marcus cut off Celosia, particularly because Marcus was ultra fascinated by these Azurian people.

"We'd love to! Hey, hey! Come sit beside me and tell me what you do!"

"Nice job Marcus! I want to try blue fruits too!"

"...you might get poisoned or something. We don't even know if our stomachs would accept those foreign delicacies and-"

Chroma shoves a cup of coffee in Celosia's mouth, and calmed her down, "Celosia. Relax, okay?"

She closed her eyes, inhaled deeply, and reluctantly nodded.

"My,my! How cute!"


"So THAT is Vulcan. That is the most impressive volcano I've ever seen."

With the night fog gone, Vulcanus was more visible to the eyes of the group. Prism and the Azurians were fascinated by the never-ending stream of lava flowing down from it. Only the Crimson people are crazy enough to build cities near these death traps. They were climbing up the stairs towards the crater of the volcano. 

"How can your civilization even exist? Wouldn't these volcanoes erupt and destroy all of your buildings? There's even rooms made entirely of wood!"

"Our forefathers already taught of these. They clearly are the best architects in the world, using Art of Red to diverge the fiery liquid and fortifying our structures with the finest metals that resist even the strongest earthquakes. Not that you mutts and rodents would understand."

"I not understand."

"Hmmm... Maybe you should come to the Day of the Ashes at Cremeria. That's the day when the twin moons perfectly aligns in the sky."

"Yeah, yeah! Make sure to bring more of your women!"

"Uhhh... Why women, Marcus? Also that's definitely not a good idea. Cremerians... wouldn't accept you."

"My, my! Fascinating! Fah! Let's go!"

"Hahahaha. You really love seeing other cultures, don't you, Fay."

 

 

6000 steps later, they are still barely past halfway. The environment at this altitude is clearly colder, with thinner air and the snow much more thicker than the surface. Everyone except the huntress was starting to feel the strain in their legs. The couple was especially sweaty with that heavy clothing that they're wearing, provoking the concern of Cherry.

"Wh-why are.... you still wearing those heavy clothes..."

"My...my. These for.... mo..desty... *phew*"

"Can we... rest for now..."

"Ag...reed."

The group stopped for a moment in one of the Crimsonian gates, a wooden post-like structure every 1000 steps, painted with vermillion on its two foots and a black curvature made of igneous rocks at the top. 

"I saw these too at Cremeria. What are these strange pillars anyways?"

"These are the gates to the sacred. Whenever you pass through one of these, you are slowly moving into the realm of the gods."

"Like a portal or something?"

"Something like that. There's ancient texts written at the middle of the arc there."

Cherry points to the stone tablet hanging at the gate. She reads the texts carved within:

"Six thousand years. This is... yeah. I don't know what it means anymore. Sorry! Do you guys know?"

The other three shrugged.

"My, my!"

Marcus was struggling to remember. He clearly knew what these said, but...

"These are so old that barely anyone knows why it's written anymore. Maybe if I had water, I could think more clearly."

"Ahhh! We got perfect solution! Fah?"

Fahim makes a cusp out of his hands and Fayrus places her two hands above it. She smiles, and as if nature was under her command, the falling spruce leaves slowly circles around her, her entire figure glows blue, and when she removes her hand, clear water was in her husband's hands.

"Here. This is pure water. Drink!"

"Then..."

Fahim passes the water into Marcus' hands, and Marcus drinks it. He immediately becomes more alive after that and had a moment of clarity.

"Six thousand years! That's how long Vulcan molded the world with his own hands!"

"My, my! How amusing!"

Marcus' plan to impress the Azurian tourist, Fayrus: success!

"Pffft. The only time you succeeded and it's a married woman."

"S-shut up, Cherry! That makes it better!"

"To think they still believe in gods... so fascinating!"

Celosia was staring at them. She thought to herself that amazing power of the blue arts and what potential it has. She quickly brushed it off as using the art of another color feels wrong to her. 

"Then, shall we continue, Crimsons?"

 

Finally, after thousands of steps. They finally saw the last gate that led into the crater. Everyone felt serene looking at the burning depths of hell, moving at the pace of a snail, swirling in its natural land prison. The occasional volcanic plume it emits can be extremely poisonous to whoever inhales it if not for the protection given by the four with their Art of Red that blocks such toxic gases, answering another question of survivability of the red people in their sulfur-filled, burning cities.

"This is the source of everything. The first volcano, the mortal form of Vulcan. Look at it, foreigners! Bask in the glory of the power of the flame god!"

Celosia removed her armor and clothes (undergarments remain, of course), suddenly ran towards the crater, jumped into the mouth of the volcano.

"WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Prism shouted out of both genuine concern and the thought of her earning her reward is gone.

"My, my?!!"

Chroma, Marcus, and Cherry looked at each other, also removed their armors and clothes, and held each other's hands. 

"ONE, TWO-"

They all did the same as Celosia. A large ejection of lava appears from where they landed. Prism and the Azurians were ultra puzzled from the scene they just witnessed. Jumping into the crater of a volcano? Absolutely no way they would do something like that! 

"Look! What is that?!"

They finally see the four of them rising from the gooey burning plasma, all of them laughing wholeheartedly. All of their problems, worries, and anxieties were returned to their source. Yes, it's as if they were born once again.

"THIS IS THE BEST!!!"

"AAAAAH! I FEEL ALIVE!!!"

"CHERRY!!! I'M SORRY, OKAY?!"

"IT'S OKAY, CELOSIA! I'M STUPID TOO! I MADE A MOUNTAIN OUT OF A MOLE HILL!"

"OYYYYYY!!! WHAT THE HELL ARE YOU DOING THERE, BRATS?!"

"IT'S ALRIGHT, MISS PRISM!!! WHY DON'T YOU COME HERE TOO! IT FEELS REFRESHING, ESPECIALLY IN THIS WEATHER!"

"YEAH, YEAH! YOU HAVE TO TRY THIS, MISS HUNTRESS AND AZURIANS!"

"FUCK NO!"

"WE'LL PASS!"

"Red people in crater, in winter, having fun... what a wonderful sight! I'm so happy we went here, Fah! This must be the miracle of our love!"

For some reason, Prism felt more comfortable with the four Crimsons rather than the couple. She looked closely at the insides of the crater and saw some stairs made out of the earth itself, forming a spiral that led towards near the sacred gate. "It seems that Crimsonians really do frequently bathe in here... huh." The huntress thought and let them enjoy for a while.

 

"They're having so fun and enjoyment."

"Yeah... They're really lucky that they're far away from the front lines."

"Ahhh... They're at war with an Orange country. Right, Miss Pluvian?"

"Yeah. That's why it's especially surprising that you two visited this place."

"Well... can't have fun if no danger!"

Prism shrugs off her comments and they wait for the children to finish their activity. After a while, they return with some scary-looking black fish-thing that they call fierycanths. Apparently, they are very healthy, full of calcium that will enrich the bones. A full afternoon has passed just for hiking Vulcan.


"Welcome back, Master Chroma, Mistress Prism."

"Apoy. Are you not bored?"

"Not at all. It's my pleasure to guard your rooms. Ms. Regina the Receptionist even had idle chat with me!"

Chroma was glad that a Crimson stranger dared to interact with an Orange. But then he slowly thought of what sort of conversation they might had... 

{

Regina: Ah, hello. You're a slave of those adventurers... right?

Apoy: Yes. 

Regina: I see... You must deal with stuff like these, right? (She shows Apoy her ledger, full of complex mathematics)

Apoy: Yes, I calculate their expenditures for the journey.

Regina: I see... so, can you help me taxes? 

Apoy: Uhhh, sure.

They proceed to do the most mind-boggling maths with confusing formulas.

}

"Yeah... I don't wanna think about it."

"What?"

"Nothing. Oh, Apoy. Come with us, I need you to do something."

After resting for a bit, they entered the Apodyterium, the part where you remove all of your clothes and wrap yourself up with a towel. 

"Wait... Men and Women nude in the same room?"

"Yeah. That's how spring bathing works?"

"Bizarre."

It is a Pluvian mindset that a woman must never reveal her entire body to a man. But alas, she was forced to follow the customs of the Crimsons, quickly grabbing the towel to hide her private parts. They placed their belongings in a hollow cube on the walls. Chroma instructed Apoy to guard these belongings as Apodyteriums are a frequent place where thieves can easily steal someone's stuff. The other Crimson teens arrived and proceeded to do the same before Prism was able to fully cover herself with the towel, revealing her rainbow back.

"M-Miss Huntress!"

Marcus got a big smack on the head by Cherry, who had the instinct to feel the embarrassment of Prism. 

"Heyy! I think Miss Prism's shy about her body!"

"B-but! She's amazing! Just look at the tone on her back muscles... and those... battle scars..."

There were hundreds of claw and bite marks all over her body. This dampened the mood of the horny Crimson lad, and able to restrain himself by imagining the numerous enemies the huntress has faced. But he quickly regained his sexual prowess when he heard Crimson greeting Fayrus.

"M-miss Azure! Only with a towel on the spring! I'll go first, noobs!"

"There goes the pervert. Celosia, I'll stop him from harassing the tourists. Get naked already!"

"Tch. Alright!"

Celosia was shy simply because Chroma was still in the same room as her. She waited for him to go into the spring, only did she changed into the towel. While she was wrapping herself in the white fabric, she can't help but stare with disgust at Prism, thinking to herself the weird blend of skin color on her back, but also frustrated with herself with the lack of experience she has compared to Prism.

"Then, I'll go. You'll go, brat?"

"I will, Pluvian. But I got my eye on you. You might pull some shenanigans again while we don't have any armor on."

 

Prism shrugs off Celosia. They proceeded to enter the entrance to the actual spring itself. Their feets feel ticklish as they transition from the rough Apodyterium floor to the smooth stone slabs in the rectangular spring. A thick fog dominates the entire area, making them feel warm despite their exposure to the brunt of the cold northern winds. They see the others already relaxing at the hot springs, with the Azurian couple quite near them. Celosia sat on the side of the group where it's furthest from the other colors. Prism sat between the teens and the Azurians.

"My, my! This spring is feel good! So relaxing!"

"Heh! Of course! These springs are made by my blood relatives!"

"Mhm. Feels like someone is massaging my muscles."

"Hey, hey, Miss Azure, did you use an Art of Blue earlier?"

"Art of Blue?"

"When you let me drink that water."

"Ahhh! The magic spell! Why?"

"Magic spell?"

The Crimson people heavily worships Arts, as it is still quite unexplainable as to how exactly does it work and thus, they see it as some sort of 'blessing' by their gods. Prism immediately understood just how isolated the red land is just from this conversation.

Fayrus stood up and did another one of her magic spells, all without saying a single word. A thick cloud spirals around her exposed body and spreads out into the shape of the spring. Then, just like a clock ticking every second, little droplets of water pitter and patters into the surface, creating beautiful waves and sounds that sounded like the strings of an instrument played with the utmost delicacy by a maestro. 

Marcus had his mouth open wide. "Woaaaaah."

Cherry stood up and spread her arms wide to feel every drop in her body.

"Amazing! Hey, isn't this impressive, Celosia?"

"..." She had her gaze fixed on the Azurian woman, feeling insulted by both her lack of respect to the Arts and the thought that another color can finely tune it. She stood up with complete determination.

"Hey, Azurian! I challenge you to a fight! Right here, right now!"

"Celosia!"

"Hey, Celosia! I thought we were over this!"

"What? I just want to show her the power of the Art of Red. As... " She gulps before saying, "...beautiful as your magic is, that is pretty impractical to the real world."

"My, my! How interesting..."

"Red kid, are you sure about that? In here?"

"Why wouldn't I be? Will you fight me, Azurian? I'll go easy on you."

"I don't mind."

 

 

The rain show stopped and both got into their respective positions. Celosia got into her usual fighting stance while Fayrus looked like a normal bystander, with her arms behind her back. Celosia could almost laugh at how unprepared-looking her enemy is. She figured she could to the first strike. She mustered up her energy inside and copying Prism's move earlier unconsciously, she ran as fast as the wind towards the Azurian, her hands apart, glowing in red for a devastating flame strike in the head.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! TAKE THIS!"

"Cute!"

Celosia was able to grasp her face and blow it off with a large ignition. But alas, her entire body dissolved like a mirage from the heat as if it was made of water. She disappeared from sight.

"What the hell?"

But the young adventurer didn't let her guard down and let her mind go to hyperdrive to formulate what exactly happened. The chill of the frozen skies started to downpour into the people of the hot spring while Celosia scanned 360 degrees to find any sign of the blue woman. It was then that her trusty hair fringe reacted a little.

"Behind?!"

Quick reflexes didn't disappoint her as she was able to avoid the whip of water gunning for her neck with a little Art of Red. But, this was where the extent of her battle strategy has ended, for the real Fayrus was in front of her all along. A very swift grapple from the Azurian was able to pin Celosia down into the hot spring, making the fight over. The Azurian, with a sweet smile on her face, lets go of the defeated.

Celosia refused to stand up out of embarrassment and frustration to herself. She smacks the water with a burning fist and shouted at Fayrus. 

"What the hell are you?! You're not an ordinary tourist, are you?!"

"My, my! I'm just regular woman."

She raised her arms and as if she was manipulating a puppet, the spring water swayed back and forth as she commanded.

"That's why I told you if you were sure. You are standing in water after all."

"Celosia! Are you alright?"

Celosia slaps back Chroma's helping hand and stands up on her own, walking all the way into the furthest part of the spring away from them. She can clearly be seen trying to relax out her anger by trying to sleep.

 

"She is powerful, but she still lacks knowledge."

"Miss Prism..."

"Miss Huntress, Mister and Miss Azure, I finally get it now! The Art of Blue uses water, isn't it?!"

"...my, my?"

"Marcus, Cherry, Chroma. What exactly is the Art of Red?"

 

This struck the Crimsons as a quite weird question. In a chorus, they all answer with the same phrase, from their great master:

"Flowing in the veins—

Fire. Burning forever

Shall melt thy spirit."

"What's that? Some sort of incantation?"

"No, Prism. It's a poem at describes the Art of Red."

"Hmm... I don't really see how it does."

"Weird... when I first heard of it, it immediately connected with me. You didn't feel the same way at all, Miss Prism? Despite being able to cast some Arts?"

"Yeah. It's alright though, you brats can do your arts fine."

 

 

It was almost an hour or so that they were in the springs, so everyone except for Celosia started to leave the area as the twins moons started to be directly over their heads. 

"Well, it's almost midnight. Me and my wife will leave tomorrow. Nice meeting you, young adventurers and huntress."

"It's also an honor to meet you, Miss and Mister Azure."

"My, my! Good luck on Favi!"

"Oooh. You know about it."

Chroma looks back and shouts at the sleeping Celosia, "Hey! We're leaving!"

"I'll follow later!"

They leave Celosia alone and returned to their respective rooms.


The master and his slave are alone in the room for the huntress went out to get fresh air. The room was only lit by a small candle, yet Chroma can't sleep for some reason.

"Apoy, are you awake?"

"Yes. I'm drying up your clothes."

"I see... Fayrus was excellent at using Arts, wasn't she?"

"?"

"Oh, yeah... you were in the Apodyterium..."

"Yes. There were some suspicious people, but they left immediately when they saw me."

"I see..."

It was silence for a minute or so before Chroma saw Apoy with her face beaming with joy as she dutifully does her chore. With a strange sorrow written all over him, he finally confronted her.

"Hey. Don't you ever feel... jealous of us?"

"Jealous?"

"Ever since you've been with me, whenever I see that wonderful smile of yours... I-I just feel so... Don't you want to live like a regular Crimson? To play, eat, sleep, study, and everything just like a normal person? "

The Orange slave halts her job to see her master speaking to her with sincerity, so much that he started to tear up.

"Master Ch-"

"Don't you ever get sick of calling me Master? I heard from the Azurians earlier that there was a Crimson who escaped all the way to the blue lands and had a half-child. Don't you want to be free?"

"I'm always happy to serve you, Master Chroma."

"Why?! Don't you want to escape the Crimson Empire? Don't you get angry carrying all of those bloody stuff, doing everything I ask of you, and the way everyone treats you like subhuman trash?! Why do you smile?!!"

Apoy suddenly rushes towards Chroma and embraced him with force enough for them to fall to the floor. She softly placed her ears just above his heart, hearing every quick little thump he has. 

"You've given me purpose the day you chose me as your personal slave."

"The day I chose you... Apoy, I-"

"You don't have to say anything. It doesn't really matter that I have to do every single chore you ask me to. It's alright for me to hear all of those bad stuff said towards me. I mean, just look at you, with your tears. You were the only one who ever showed me pure kindness. I know this is the truth, because your heart doesn't lie!"

He saw once again that deep burning inferno in her amber eyes above her earnest smile and before he knew it, he placed his lips on hers, taking her by surprise but quickly surrendered to his will.

"Master..."

"Chroma is fine. Hey..."

"It's alright... you can touch me there... Chroma."


"Looks like those two are having fun..." 

Prism was just returning with a cup of coffee until she heard mysterious things inside their room. She decided to go bathe in the springs once again to pass the time, remembering how quickly Celosia was able to sleep in the steamy bath. She passes the receptionist, who was sleeping once again like yesterday in her counter. Prism enters the Apodyterium. While she was undressing, she hears some grunts from a girl coming from the spring area.

"Damn it!"

"Oho? I know that voice."

The huntress enters the spring and sees Celosia doing a sort of push and pull with her arms.

"...what are you doing, zombie?"

With a blush, the surprised Celosia harshly responds, "Bloody Vulcan! why are you here, Pluvian?"

She places her cup of coffee in one of the pedestals near the spring and goes in front of Celosia, raised her arms, and commands the flow of the water as she was glowing blue.

"So, do you see what I'm doing different?"

"Our skin colors?"

"Sheesh."

Prism stands beside her and imitates how Celosia does it.

"You keep on doing it like an Art of Red." Prism did some quick fiery punches as she was saying that, "But... look at how an 'Art of Blue' can be done." She does the punch once again, but much slower and with elegance. The water did move as she did that.

"Why are you even attempting to do such a thing? Never thought that you would even try doing things other colors do."

"...none of your business."

"Oh well. You saw how Fayrus was, didn't you. From her gentle personality to the very subtle movements she made, she was the embodiment of the ocean. Just one look at her and I can tell that she was extremely powerful. Total opposite of you, bloody wrath doll."

"What the hell did you-"

"See. Stiff and angry." Prism chuckled at Celosia, "You have to be gentle."

They were practicing at the springs for a good while until Celosia was too sleepy and tired. Not even once was she able to do any sort of water movement.

"It seems that blue magics is not for you."

"...damn it! I just wanted more power..."

"I see... You can reveal your true intentions sometimes."

"S-shut up!"

"Reminds me of a certain someone back then..."

"What did you say, Pluvian?"

"Nothing."

With the disappointed Celosia, they ended the training session. As she returned to her room, she saw Marcus and Cherry with their ears placed on the paper-thin wall. 

"Hey, what are you two doing?"

Marcus quietly shouted at her, "Celosia! Listen to this!"

"S-scary!"

"What ridiculous nonsense are you hearing..." She places her ears and heard the most terrifying sound they've heard in their lives.

"YES! YES! MORE!"

"W-WHA-" Flustered, Celosia dashes towards next door.

"BLOODY VULCAN!!! STOP DOING THAT BLOODY SHITE, YOU BLOODY RABBITS!!!"

"MY, MY?!!"

"Ohhh... and there she goes, Cherry."

"W-we can finally sleep peacefully..."

"THE CRIMSON EMPIRE, ESPECIALLY VULCANUS, IS A SACRED PLACE THAT EVERYONE IN THE ENTIRE WORLD SHOULD RESPECT. YOU BLUE FA-"


“Dear! Look at our child! Training so hard!”
“Later. I'm doing some paperwork here.”
“Even Papa is working hard!"

Are my chapters too long? Should I just split it into parts?
  • Yes Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No Votes: 2 100.0%
Total voters: 2
1