Introduction
294 5 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Would you live in a Mary Sue's world?
  • Yes Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No Votes: 10 27.8%
  • Only if I get popcorn to watch with Votes: 21 58.3%
  • What even is a Mary Sue? Votes: 2 5.6%
Total voters: 36

There is a long-existing tradition within the bounds of fiction that contain the model character of perfection, often coined as a 'Mary Sue'. Created to fulfill the fantasies of their writer or in attempts to create a lovable character that often backfires. There is often no problem with this character existing other than being disliked within a reader base or simply cutting off all interest in the work of fiction.

 

However, how is one to cope with the truth of they themselves living near (or even worse being) a Mary Sue?

Before jumping to conclusions on your situation, do look through this checklist and see if any of these things apply to yourself or your suspected Mary Sue.

Are they or in possession of the following qualities...

[ ] Considered to be plain by their own standards but is truly gorgeous and attract suitors like bees to honey.

[ ] An unusually long name. (Note: A long name does not always equal a Mary Sue, so do be wary of this one)

[ ] Seeming to have boundless kindness or forgiveness towards those who have wronged them. A morality that will not waver, so to say.

[ ] Talented in things they have never attempted before, even being considered better than experts.

[ ] Featured in a vague prophecy or destiny.

[ ] A terrible or traumatic childhood that people pity them for. This may also include senseless bullying by fellow ladies.

[ ] Loved by many for simply existing.

[ ] Multiple love interests, two usually being the minimum.

[ ] Face no difficulty in life.

If three or more of these conditions apply to you or your suspected Mary Sue, then there is a good chance that they are indeed a Mary Sue and you are stuck in this world with them or as them.

Nevertheless, there is a way to live peacefully in a world which contains a Mary Sue without becoming a part of her story or having to be an invisible character. I would know, as I have been living in a world with a Mary Sue for quite some time.

Before I indulge you with any information, do acknowledge that attempting to go against or in any way overthrow the Mary Sue is courting death. Throw away those fantasies of taking her place and incinerate them post-haste. This is for your own good.

Now then. I, Dorothea Fielyer, will be telling you of my own experience with a Mary Sue so it may educate you on how to deal with your own. I hope it will assist you in your journey for a long, peaceful life without the tribulations of having to witness a Mary Sue in her prime. Not only will I be talking about my experiences, but I shall be dissecting the Mary Sue and her various components that make her story work.

This is now and forever formally, 'A Lady's Guide To Living In A Mary Sue's World', a cautionary tale and educational text for whoever may be reading it.

I hope this book does you a great service.

 

7