Chapter 16 – Bon Voyage, À Dieu Vit!
1.4k 2 47
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Southern Seas | Aleria
 
The day was young, but the sun was out shining brightly and intensely. Its burning rays shone down upon the deck of the magic galleon vessel, Polo and the cobalt Southern Seas.
 
At this moment Lucy stood alone with a questioning gaze in front of the massive foremast of the vessel.
 
‘Hmm how do you work?’ she wondered to herself as she stared at the runes on the surface of the mast. Her eyes traveled up the mast to the large sails that floated on regenerating rotating winds that seemed to appear out of nowhere.
 
Lucy stared harder as she urged her vampiric eyesight to travel through the surface of the mast, however to her surprise her vision couldn’t penetrate the material.
 
‘W-What? Impossible!’ she thought in disbelief, ‘I’ve looked meters deep through dirt, stone, water, even wood how-‘Lucy was shocked by the level of technology surpassing even her own abilities. She had no idea what or how this vessel worked, she just knew she wanted several
of her own.
 
‘Oh! I must have one of these babies, my kingdom’s military might would be unrivaled at sea!’ she imagined waging war on enemies using her own personal navy.
 
“Land Ho!” said Captain Takar near the  bowsprit of the galleon pulling Lucy out of her daydreaming.
 
“What? Were there already?” she asked in surprise, “It hasn’t even been a full 48 hours since we’ve boarded…”
 
Lucy knew the vessel was miraculous, but they truly hadn’t been at sea very long. And the Captain had even previously stated that it would take a week.
 
Had it not just been a day and some change?  In fact, she hadn’t even begun to feel the serious hunger pangs from The Thirst yet.
 
“Haha I wish, our destination is just within sights now. We’re expected to make landfall by nightfall.” The middle-aged pudgy Captain Takar replied with a laugh, “ We here at the Millenium Trading Company Pride ourselves on delivering quality services and goods in every exchange and transaction we facilitate. That is why for over a century we have been the number one merchant organization. If there is nothing else, I will notify you once we make landfall.”
 
After answering Lucy questions Captain Takar disappeared once again into the below deck captain’s cabin, leaving Lucy alone.
 
‘He is such an odd fellow…’ Lucy’s thoughts trailed as she stared at the tiny Hale continent in the distance, ‘but no matter how eccentric he may be I can’t deny the power and influence of this Millenium Trading Company. I best stay on their good side for now…’
 
Lucy didn’t know it yet, but she was correct in this regard about the Millenium Trading Company. It was one of the strongest presences and influences in the world of Aleria.
 
It’s shops and stalls had branches in every major kingdom and town. Though they were an organization and not a nation or kingdom, they dominated the world of commerce and as such had a frightening degree of wealth and influence.
 
The Millenium Trading Company wasn’t a family company or sole proprietorship, instead it represented the interests of the wealthiest merchants in the world of Aleria.
 
Despite their massive power they prided themselves on fairness and doing good business above all else, it’s one of the reasons they’ve lasted so long.
 
As soon as Lucy finished her inner musings, she returned below deck to the small room she shared with Sera. The room was small and cramped but just enough for one person, fitting two people into it was basically hoping they’d stack on top of each other.
 
This was one of the reasons Lucy had spent so much time above deck instead.
 
On the small bed in the center of the room laid Sera with her hair curtained behind her like a dark halo. Lucy sat along the bed before placing her hand atop the head of Sera’s deathly still figure.
 
“Wake up Sera. There’s no need to enter Deep Sleep, we’ll arrive at this place sooner than expected” Lucy said to the stiff non breathing Sera.
 
In anticipation of the long journey ahead of them Lucy had instructed Sera in the skill of Deep Sleep. Ordinarily vampires were creatures without the need to sleep or breathe.
 
However, in situations or circumstances where a vampire wanted to slow or conserve it’s Blood Energy usage, Deep Sleep was always an option.
 
In this state a vampire was as close to the term ‘living dead’ as possible and they could remain this way for decades without discomfort.  
 
However, in this state while a vampire’s body may be at its lowest maintenance, it was also at it weakest. The biggest downside to the Deep Sleep is that unless the vampire was of sufficient experience or strength, it would always need an outside assistant to awaken it.
 
At this moment Sera’s crimson eyes flew open as she sat up and stretched her limbs with a yawn.
 
‘I don’t think I’ll ever get used to not dreaming anymore”  said Sera as scratched her eyes lazily,
 
“Oh master! What did you say about the journey again? Its over?! I thought that captain said it would take at least a week” she jumped up happily as she noticed Lucy finally.
 
Suppressing a sigh Lucy repeated what Captain Takar had told her to Sera.
 
“Wow that’s surprising news, I didn’t know traveling the seas was so simple! Can’t say I’m not glad though, I don’t think I liked Deep Sleep very much”  Sera replied
 
Lucy rolled her eyes as she replied, “ well you’re the one who elected to, after worrying over people looking at your eyes and asking what type of magical beast or mage you were”
 
Gasping in mock offense Sera’s mouth opened and closed like a fish .
 
“Hmph I’d say we’re both lucky our eye colors don’t attract negative attention. I’d rather be thought of as a magical beast or some rare mage than a bloodsucking monster haha” Sera replied as she laughed at their earlier trepidation over exposure.
 
Throughout the entire first leg of the journey Sera refused to leave from their room over fears of exposure and losing control.
 
Even after Lucy went around talking to strangers to gauge this world’s attitude towards vampires and found out that most people didn't know and didn't care.
 
Sera still wouldn’t leave the room though it did make her feel better.
 
‘Mhm she’s right, we’re lucky. Maneuvering through human society let alone this ship would’ve been nigh impossible if everyone associated red and gold eyes with vampires as Amara’s memories suggested’ thought Lucy before she replied, “I suppose you’re right, just be grateful you don’t have to hide out here any longer”
 
“Oh, trust me I am, in fact I think I’ll go above deck now” Sera said as she made to leave the cabin room before being stopped by Lucy
 
“Woah there not yet” Lucy said as she stood in front of their cabin door barring Sera from leaving. “not only have we not even docked yet, the sun is still blazing out.”
 
“Oh yeah! How could I forget? Thank you master, I guess I’ll just wait until nightfall” Sera said with a sigh as she sat back down on the small twin sized bed.
 
Not long after Lucy followed suit as they waited together patiently.

47