Chapter 42 – Portents & Praise
598 3 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hey everyone! I hope you all had a pleasant Turkey Day, here's the newest chapter. Also I've added some character inspo images in the glossary. They are by no means a strict cast of what the characters look like but I thought you guys would like a general idea of what I imagine them as.
 
Last but not least just wanted to forewarn that this chapter has 3 different POVs with only this first scene including Lucy's. Enjoy!


4 Hours Later
 
The morning rays of the radiant sun began to claw over the land signaling the dawn of a new day.
 
The once glowing and throbbing blood cocoon was no longer in its former spot on the forest floor. It now floated midair as it  hummed and glowed in the receding umbrous of the night.
 
Nearby Sera hung in bat form under the miniscule and receding shade of a tree’s canopy.
 
She had begun to seriously fear the sun would rise before her master finished, when suddenly the blood cocoon that hadn’t moved in 4 hours began to float.
 
As Sera watched on with anxious and inquisitive eyes suddenly the blood cocoon began to tremble along with the slight sound of cracking.
 
‘Something’s happening!’
 
A few seconds later, the cocoon began to glow a bright and resplendent shade of scarlet as it’s trembling increased in intensity.
 
Inside the cocoon Lucy concentrated  her blood energy before releasing it with all of her vampiric power, and with a resounding bang it immediately gave way revealing it’s contents.
 
Red.
 
At first opening of the cocoon the color red was all that could be seen as the potent blood energy spilled out and over the surrounding area before shifting form and taking to the skies.
 
All of the remnants from the blood cocoon that had broken apart like stone began to float and congeal together behind a finally revealed Lucy and in front of the sun.
 
Miraculously the once shattered crystal-like blood cocoon began to rapidly liquify and spread out further and further.
 
After a few moments the once sprawling mass of blood energy now looked like a giant red bat with huge, outstretched wings. And not long after that it semi-eclipsed the rising sun’s place in the sky, casting a rose-colored shadow across the stretch of woods.
 
Along with the giant red beacon-like bat in the sky Lucy’s  pale and fit form hovered above the clearing with the use of the newly formed set of vampiric bat wings jutting from her shoulder blades.
 
“W-what could that vision have even meant?” she wondered aloud and aloof as her new set of wide, leathery bat wings brushed open further.
 
‘And it appears I’ve gained some new appendages…’
 
As Lucy floated in the sky while flapping her wings, she heard Sera’s voice echo from below,
 
“Congratulations Sire.”
 

A few moments earlier…
Monarchial Summit | Royal Capital | Hale Kingdom
 
It was the dawn of a new day. The light touches of an approaching sunrise began to gradually grace the Hale kingdom and its lands.
 
As one by one majestic and fluffy clouds began to glow in the golden dawn, suddenly a crimson bat shaped pall extinguished the light and dyed them red.
 
At the top of the Monarchial Summit in the very center of the Royal Capital kneeled an exceptionally old and wrinkled man. He was garbed in gold and purple robes with his mouth agape and eyes affixed to the heavens.
 
“ Oh!” he gasped, “A sanguine chiroptera from the bowels of hell means dark portents for Aleria... May the Gods save us!”
 
The old man continued his kneeling while staring at the apparition in the sky.
 
His body shook with sobs and tears began to flow like rivers from his eyes, but he continued to stare at the heavens.
 
The massive red bat stayed where it was in front of the sun for several short breaths of time before silently crashing down and disappearing above a distant area of land.
 
 
As soon as the ominous bat beacon disappeared the world was once again graced by the golden dawn of a new day.
 
The clouds regained their sunny glow once again, but they now seemed insignificant after the strange phenomenon that had just took place, especially to the old man in the purple and gold robes.
 
The old man’s body trembled all over as he hopped to his feet in haste. He glared at the location the crimson beacon had disappeared before stuttering,
 
“If this means what I think it does…t-then that monster is back within the kingdom of Hale’s borders, I-I  must report this to the King at once!”
 

Meanwhile…
Nighthaven Temple Mount | Nighthaven City | Custoze Kingdom
 
 
It was a night of the darkest caliber in Nighthaven City as usual. Save for the radiant moon in the sky and a few twinkling stars, nothing in the heavens could be seen.
 
The scant light the few celestial bodies provided seemed to add a holy and peaceful atmosphere to the already sacred looking temple below.
 
However, the happenings inside said temple could be said to be anything but…
 
 
“Hahaha really? A Lycan? Mmm, maybe you need to lay off the corpse blood Amelia” remarked a crimson eyed blonde as her thighs tightened around the collared neck of a gentleman kneeling between her legs.
 
“Leave her alone Isabelle, at least she’s open minded. You all still won’t even entertain the idea that the Pure-”
 
“Ah sit down or else Mariusz, we’re sick of hearing your superstitious bullshit!”  screamed one ginger haired gentleman before he sank his fangs into the neck of the half nude & delirious brunette at his side.
 
“Or what Seth?” questioned the handsome red eyed man named Mariusz before facing the rest of his audience at the long table, “ Just face it. You all know I’m right, we all felt it. That power! I know I’ve never felt anything like it in all of my 200 years of existing. None of us have! That was definitely the blood energy signature of a Pureb-”
 
TAP TAP TAP
 
At the very head of the table, a sudden and stern sounding trifecta of taps resounded in quick succession from a clawed and sandy complexioned hand.
 
“That’s enough now” said a striking golden haired and tawny skinned man seated at the head of the table, “I believe the phenomenon that happened tonight was… quite peculiar and definitely worthy of further investigation, but to utter the name of the hallowed Purebloods in vain… shall not be tolerated.”
 
“I-I would never! P-please forgive me Lord Erebus I-” apologized Mariusz as he dropped to his knees.
 
“Shhh” Erebus hushed, “All is forgiven my child, let us not fret over the past.”
 
Suddenly Erebus rose from his gilded seat at the head of the table. His pair of gold and red heterochromatic eyes bored into each member of his coven like he could see into their very souls.
 
“I will personally handle this matter, and no one is to speak of this event again. Are we clear?” he questioned authoritatively
 
All around the room, suddenly the shadows and darkness seemed to grow darker as shadowy tendrils snaked across the walls and floor.
 
 At that moment, the four pale and red eyed individuals present hopped to their feet with supernatural grace before prostrating before Erebus.
 
“Yes, Sire” they said closed eyed in unison.
 
‘Do you remember the location that blood energy signature came from?’ Erebus’s voice echoed in Mariusz’s kneeling head alone.
 
Mariusz slowly rose from where he was kneeling and glanced left and right at his still prostrated brethren before replying telepathically,
 
‘Y-Yes of course. It seemed to come from the West near the empire of the human knights Sire’
 
At that moment Erebus took a step forward and slowly caressed Mariusz’s chiseled face and thick black hair.
 
“Good”  he replied with a dazzling yet fanged smile.
 

 
23