Chapter 50 – The Mercenary Union Auction Pt. 2
405 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Mercenary Union Auction Hall | Grimsby | Hale Kingdom
 1 hour later
 
“Our sixth auctioned item, I’m sure is one that will be coveted by many of the beautiful ladies in our audience. This extremely rare crystalized mana bracelet was found deep in the wild and mysterious Great Forest. I even lost half of the men in my mercenary group to obtain this treasure.”
 
Auctioneer Goa’s eyes gave a fiery glare to the ruby red gem bracelet sitting on the cart. Many indescribable emotions could be seen swirling within them.
 
“This object holds a special meaning to me and the many men who died for it, as such the starting price will be twenty thousand gold coins!”
 
Despite the feminine nature of this item, many women and men alike in the audience shot burning gazes of desire at the piece of jewelry. This was because crystallized mana of any type was an extreme rarity and could be a great boon to a mage who knew how to use it.
 
However the high starting price of twenty thousand gold coins was enough to make all but one person give up their thoughts of bidding for it.
 
“Twenty five thousand gold coins.” A mature yet withered voice sounded out from the first row
 
At that moment everyone in the hall turned to look for who spoke. Lucy as well was rather surprised by this voice, but for an entirely different set of reasons. Squinting to enhance her vampiric vision she saw that the owner of the voice was precisely who’d she expected.
 
‘Baron Waldorf?! What’s he doing here? He just took a huge loss with that attack by Sera,’ Lucy rolled her eyes annoyed, ‘ this old man’s pockets are deeper than I thought…’
 
“Twenty five thousand gold coins by the honorable Baron Waldorf! Surely the Baroness will appreciate this gift, going once, going twice-“
 
With a member of the nobility, especially one as wealthy as Baron Waldorf taking action, many in the audience including the auctioneer saw this item as good as sold. Along with having some relation to the dowager, Baron Waldorf was a major exporter of his own line of wine and was well known for getting his way at auctions like this. In fact, that was the main reason Lucy had Sera previously steal that chest with the map of the Great Forest from him.
 
But surprisingly at this time, a coquettishly feminine voice softly resounded throughout the hall:
 
“Thirty five thousand gold coins!”
 
The owner of this voice was none other than Lucy.
 
As soon as the words left her lips, an ugly expression marred Baron Waldorf’s face while every audience member in the hall gasped at Lucy in shock.
 
“Young Miss, do you truly dare? Don’t you know who I am?” Baron Waldorf’s tone deepened
 
“Is this place not an auction sir?” Lucy asked nonchalantly, “But to answer your question, no, I’m not familiar with you!”
 
“Oh ho, sure you are I remember outbidding you before at a prior auction. But so be it, once I’m done with you it will be too late for regrets!” Baron Waldorf’s words were an open threat.
 
“Tch haha” Lucy remained unaffected, “I’d say you’d better worry about the goods you already own Mr. Waldorf. A little birdy told me your men were killed and your treasures were stolen right from under your nose in your own territory…”
 
After Lucy finished speaking the room was enveloped in a cacophony of murmuring and whispers  as everyone in the audience began to gossip unabashedly. Truth be told, the rumors of Blair Waldorf’s winnings from the last auction being stolen had already spread but few had believed it, however the blackened look upon the Baron’s face at this moment suddenly revealed that the rumors were indeed true!
 
“Okay! Okay! That’s enough! If no one is going to bid higher then…”
 
BANG. The magic gavel banged on the cart.
 
“For thirty five thousand gold coins, this crystallized mana bracelet now belongs to the beautiful woman in red.”
 
Once the second to last item was successfully sold to Lucy, the warm smile on the auctioneer’s face brightened even more.
 
CLAP
 
CLAP
 
With a smack of the auctioneer’s two heavily calloused hands together, a scantily clothed maid walked on stage carrying a silver tray with an inconspicuous vial upon it.
 
As soon as the vial was brought out Lucy’s entire body tensed and seized up as her as eyes opened wider than saucers.
 
“Our seventh and final item this evening is something that is the stuff of legends. Many of you won’t believe this but, in this vial, before you is genuine Class 5 magic beast, yes Class 5 Black Sea Leviathan’s blood!”
 
“I-Impossible”
 
“But how can that be? I thought they were extinct!”
 
“What?! Its really genuine Black Sea Leviathan’s blood! Those primal fluctuations can’t be fabricated, thank the gods I came to this auction today”
 
“This it it! This is what I came for!”
 
Once their surprise subsided a bit, everyone within the audience began to hurriedly converse with one another while standing up to get a better view of the vial.
 
Although, a potent treasure of this magnitude would only be useful to those powerhouses at the Great Mage and Great Knight ranks and up, many below those ranks were still losing their composure at even being able to be in the same room with such a mythical item.
 
At that moment, the auctioneer Goa care fully picked up the small vial and uncorked the crystal stopper on it.
 
WHOOSH
 
Suddenly and right before everyone’s eyes, a reddish apparition of a great and ferocious looking sea serpent materialized. The apparition was small, about the size of one’s finger, however it was incredibly detailed and gave off the pressure of an ancient beast. After circling around the vial for several moments, the beastly apparition disappeared but everyone could still feel the heavy aura in the air.
 
Suffice to say everyone in the audience was shocked but no one more so than Lucy. Like a swan among frogs Lucy and her beauty stood out sharply from the rest of the audience members, but at this moment her pretty face was marred with a terrible scowl as her hands clenched so tight, they drew blood.
 
‘Stay…in…control’  Lucy chanted to herself like a mantra.
 
She wasn’t sure why she was reacting so strongly to the smell of this blood, after all she had just eaten her fill yesterday. All Lucy knew is that, that vial had to be hers.
 
“As you all can see, this blood is the real thing. The literal quintessence of a Class 5 magic beast.” Goa the auctioneer, stared at the vial as if he were in a trance. His eyes had a distant look to them, “I’m sure you all want to know how I came across this treasure, well I won’t talk too much about it! Just know it was acquired through a great deal of hardship after my team and I discovered a set of ruins. The ancient power within this blood could be a great catalyst to your breakthrough or as a main ingredient in some alchemy, there’s perhaps numerous more uses …but  let us begin the auction for this vial. The starting price will be sixty thousand gold coins!”
 
 
Lucy sat in the corner of the hall fighting back the urge to growl when suddenly a bid was made,
 
“Sixty-five thousand gold!” a mature and withered voice said
 
Lucy became enraged upon hearing this and quickly spun around to find out who was the bidder, however this only served to enrage her further once she found out who it was.
 
‘That rich fool Baron Waldorf again!!’
 
“Seventy-five thousand gold coins” Lucy promptly retorted.
 
“Eighty  thousand gold coins” responded Baron Waldorf
 
“Eighty-five thousand gold coins!”
 
With a fierce glare in Baron Waldorf’s direction, Lucy set the final bid. The old man had a calm look upon his face, but Lucy could tell by the sound of his rapidly beating of his heart that he was anything but.
 
Up upon the stage the auctioneer observed this quiet exchange and waited a few moments more for any opposing bids. After it was clear there were none, the auctioneer announced quite clearly:
 
“Going once, going twice, going thrice…okay sold to the beautiful young miss. You are now the owner of a sample of the ultra-rare blood of the mighty Black Sea Leviathan!”
 
BANG
 
Goa smashed his gavel on the table, sealing the decision.
 
At that moment Baron Waldorf released a cold hmph in feigned in disinterest as Lucy followed a servant girl out of the hall. Lucy walked down a heavily guarded corridor before stopping inside a rather dull but completely sealed chamber.
 
“It is my understanding that you’re purchasing three items for a grand total of  110,000 gold coins?” asked the young servant girl at the same time as another identical looking girl came in carrying a cart with three silver trays upon it.
 
Lucy was used to this process from the auctions she’d visited before and promptly answered,
 
“Yes, indeed. You’d have my thanks if we could hurry things along a bit”
 
Immediately after speaking Lucy grabbed a rather large knapsack out of her space ring and threw it to the 1st servant girl. Not missing a beat, the girl caught it and immediately eyed it’s contents for a moment, then with a nod she pushed the cart with the three trays forward.
 
‘Finally!’ Lucy thought in glee as she looked at her three purchases.
 
“The ruby red mana bracelet from the Great Forest, The six Umbsidian mineral ores from the Custoze kingdom, and the sample of the ancient Black Sea Leviathan’s blood. These items are now yours patron, please take them and do come again” said the strange twin girls in unison.
 
Wasting no time Lucy waved her palm and instantaneously sucked the three items into a spare space ring that she then placed within her her space ring.
 

16