Chapter 60 – Work of Art?
539 0 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

'I-I can't even smell a drop!'
 
All over the sprawling canyon floor, there were hieroglyphic like inscriptions all slowly filling with the blood of those creatures that didn't survive the fall.
 
The most shocking part of this scene however wasn't the fact that the blood in the inscriptions didn't  seem to be attractive to the hungry trio of vampires, or that it off gave off no smell, rather it was the fact that all the lines and inscriptions seemed to be transporting the scant rivers of blood to one location.
 
Towards a rather lifelike 2 meter stone statue of a man standing chained in the dead center of the canyon and the engravements.
 
While the existence of a statue in such a place was rather queer by itself, what was most startling however was how intricate and detailed the sculpture was.
 
With her vampiric sight Sera could see even from a distance that the statue was incomparably immaculate and fine.
 
From every strand of hair on the nape of the statue's neck down to the sculpted chains that seemed to have risen from the canyon floor itself- They all appeared to be as real as an actual person.
 
"What the- Oh! " she exclaimed
 
The awesome sights of such an unexpected work of art along with the  peculiar blood engravements had shocked Sera so much that she'd almost forgotten she was looking for where Lucy was headed but as soon as she came out of her stupor she noticed her master had appeared right behind the statue.
 
'What are you doing over there?' she asked Lucy telepathically to no response, 'That statue sure seems rather strange huh , but lets get out of here so we can feed-'
 
SPLAT!
 
Suddenly a dull and wet sounding thud sounded out from right next to Sera as a medium sized boar jumped to it's death from the forested clifftop above.
 
From the looks of it, the beast had no magical blood in it's body and was considered just a wild animal, however  it was still a staggering 3 meters long.  It's body was badly mangled and in one glance it was clear to see that most of it's bones had been broken in the fall.
 
Sera gasped at the strangeness of this sight before her ears picked up more similar yet distant splat sounds every now and then.
 
I've never seen a boar that size! Not even on Verak... But besides that could this place be driving animals to suicide to collect their blood? And if so why?' She wondered before sharply looking back
 
GRRR
 
Sera's ears registered a low guttural growl coming from just behind her.
 
"Nox... is everything alrigh-?"
 
Before she could even finish asking her question Nox launched himself from where he sat in the crater on to the carcass of the dead and bleeding out boar.
 
Wasting no time he quickly bit into the jugular of the wild beast and began to heartily gulp up it's blood. As he drank to his heart's content the newest vampire gave not a care to how messy or wasteful he was while feeding.
 
The thick and viscous blood of the wild boar quickly painted the surrounding ground along with Nox's entire chest and face completely red.
 
While he lapped up gulp after gulp  all Nox could feel was that the delicious lifeforce was finally extinguishing the annoying burn in his throat, healing his injuries, and filling the emptiness in his stomach .
 
"Hmm your new progeny sure is making a mess master... but I can tell he needs it so I won't interrupt. But being around all this blood is making me hungry also, can we go feed now? I'd prefer some magical beast blood and I can only imagine there are some nearb-"
 
Feeling her own stomach beginning to rumble Sera glanced away back towards Lucy only to be stunned silent midsentence at what she saw. At this moment a bloodshot eyed Lucy had climbed up towards the neck of the strange statue and appeared poised to bite.
 
'Oh no she must be confused by The Thirst' Sera sighed, 'But maybe biting that stone will shock her back to her senses...'
 
CLINK
 
The sound of the impact of the vampire fangs on the stone skin while seemingly light  shook the ground and resounded throughout the entire canyon.
 
But almost immediately upon impact the stoneskin surprisingly gave way as a torrent of gushing and crimson liquid came flowing into Lucy's eagerly awaiting mouth.
 
Unbeknownst to her at this time, as soon as she swallowed the first drop her body immediately began to heal itself. Miraculously her stubbed hand began to reform itself at a breakneck speed from the wrist up.
 
"Mmm" she moaned lowly; The taste was incomparable to anything she'd had before.
 
Through the haze of The Thirst Lucy distantly likened the taste of the delicious liquid to that of the shocking taste of nectar and ambrosia.
 
Meanwhile Sera stared wide eyed shocked once again at the scene before her. She knew for a fact that stones were unable to bleed let alone produce blood so how could this be possible she wondered.
 
While Sera watched on still in disbelief at what she was seeing, suddenly the head of the statue seemed to come alive as it's sculpted mouth opened revealing it's own set of upper and lower fangs before proceeding to bite into Lucy's pale and thin neck.
 
All of this takes some time to describe, but actually happened in an Instant giving Sera no chance to call out before it was too late.
 
Suffice to say the sudden bite was completely unexpected.
 
"Urgh" Lucy groaned from where she was still biting into the neck of the statue.
 
Her consciousness had distantly registered a hint of pain in her neck, before it focused back on feeding.
 
She was lost in the clutches of The Thirst and only cared about satiating it at this point.

12