02.Reiner Osteen
532 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

「Detecting death of [User]. Starting the Skill Invidia [Prometheus] 」

As I feel myself falling into a dark and cold abyss, a strange voice echoes in my mind.

「Starting skills scan that can be gained to counter [Death] status among the enemies defeated by [User]」

As the strange voice devoid of any emotion resonates once more in my mind, I remember something. At that moment when the blood of Ipheria contacted my hand, which caused the Invidia crest to appear on my head, a name came to my mind, "Prometheus".

Among the enormous variety of demonic Skills that exist, "Prometheus" is one of the most heinous abilities, or useless as you want to see.

Prometheus allows demons that possess it to gain the skills of intelligent beings they kill. Something like this may seem absurdly useful, however, it is not quite this way.

Since all demons without exception are born carrying a skill, a demon that is born carrying "Prometheus" is at a disadvantage compared to the rest of their peers. How to kill another demon that carries a skill when your skill contributes nothing to combat?

As for trying to kill a human to steal his skill, first, think about the difficulties that this implies. A human carrying a skill must first be identified, and this skill must be one that is worth the risk. Second, a human carrying a useful skill will not be easy prey for a demon who cannot use his skill for combat. Third, humans who carry skills are always in the company of other humans who also carry them.

Given the difficulties, those demons that possess "Prometheus" and develop are rare.

However, those who develop can become as or more fearsome adversaries than the demon kings.

The demonic skill that awakened in me is "Prometheus", but...

「A Skill Superbia found that can counteract [Death] status of [User], [Osiris]. Do you want to gain the Skill Supervia [Osiris] ?

Osiris? The skill of reincarnation...?

Regarding the reason Ipheria had accumulated so much power, there was a rumor among the demons that the Demon King Ipheria possessed a unique skill, "Osiris".

Supposedly the Demon King Ipheria who caused so much havoc was actually the reincarnation of another Demon King of old.

Using a demon skill to return from death.

My former self would surely have chosen death rather than staining oneself by sinning by betraying the gods.

If the Gods are actually so righteous, why didn't they come to my aid when my brother betrayed me?

「Skill Supervia [Osiris] gained. Starting skill process... 」

The darkness around me turns into an empty blank space.

「Because of [Prometheus] and [Osiris] you can choose three skill to gain during the reincarnation process」

I don't want to laugh and I do it emitting a loud laugh full of malice.

"Even if you all are no longer alive by the time I return, my revenge will fall on your descendants and on everything you have built"I exclaimed and laughing.

The blank space is soon filled with the figures of many demons and humans. I quickly understand what happens, it is all the enemies I defeated and from which I can choose the three skills.

Even if the skill woke up because of Ipheria's blood, the skill Prometheus was always in me, fulfilling its function while waiting to have enough power to appear in front of me to give me the fruit of my unrelenting efforts, the skills of all enemies I defeated.

"There are only three skills I can wish to carry out my revenge..."

One by one the different figures are disappearing.

「Skill Avaritia [Anubis] gained」

The skill that made the demon Ikar the most fearsome of the four generals of Ipheria. By himself, Ikar the Necromancer could destroy entire kingdoms with his undead armies.

Since I will not have allies on this path of revenge that I will follow, then I will create my own allies.

「Skill Supervia [Loki] gained」

The skill that made the demon Lusk the right hand of Ipheria. Using this skill, Lusk could infiltrate between humans to carry out assassinations, gain information, or manipulate human policy in favor of his master Ipheria.

「Heroic Skill [Achilles] gained」

My own heroic skill, the one that gave me the strength and power to kill Ipheria and his four generals.

Strange as maybe that this skill is present to be eligible, why should I not choose it once more?

「Election process is over... starting the second phase of Skill Superbia [Osiris]」

The blank space disappears as my consciousness fades.

Slowly all my senses are turned off...

Suddenly a woman's face appears in front of me. However, it fades and becomes a kind of blurred dream.

What came next was no different.

The grumpy face of a man...

A small mansion...

The smiling face of a beautiful young woman with blond hair and blue eyes...

Extensive fields of crops...

The images are presented and then fade into some kind of dream I cannot control or understand.

At some point, the dream ends, and the image that was previously somewhat blurred becomes clear.

Reflected in the water, I observe the face of a boy of about fifteen years of age. His hair is blond, and his eyes are blue.

Somewhat confused, I raise my hand and in the reflection I see a small hand touching the face of that child.

"Eh?"

A sound of surprise escapes from my throat and reaches my ears.

「Reincarnation process concluded. Because of the complexity in the skills you chose, the final process of [Osiris] has taken longer than normal 」

A familiar voice echoes in my mind.

Suddenly a rush of memories arises in my mind.

The impact of that leads me to kneel and press my head into my hands.

"I'm back"I mutter to myself after all the memories become clear.

「Skill Invidia [Prometheus] awakened」

「Heroic Skill [Achilles] awakened」

「Skill Avaritia [Anubis] wakened」

「Skill Supervia [Loki] awakened」

「Skill Supervia [Osiris] sealed」

With those messages echoing in my mind, a sinister smile inevitably forms on my lips.

"Reiner, are you wasting your time playing on the riverbank again?"

A voice behind me causes me to come out of my state of silent euphoria. The name Reiner resonates in my mind and a feeling of ownership comes to me.

I turn and look at a middle-aged man, his face shows a severe expression. Next to the man is a young man of about sixteen who looks at me with a mocking look.

"Father, older brother"

Carried away by the memories prior to my awakening, I exclaim that while slightly bowing my head.

"Your coming of age ceremony will be tomorrow, do not be a greater disgrace to our family behaving like a child when you are about to become an adult"

The man ends his words with an exasperated snort, then turns and walks away. As for the young man next to him, he smirks as he walks after that man.

"So, Reiner Osteen"I murmur to myself with a mocking smile taking shape on my lips.

I look around me, the river behind me runs through the grounds of a grand mansion. The lands around the river are cultivated areas that have recently been worked after winter.

"The coming of age ceremony..."

This is an event that is celebrated when a child turns fifteen. Regardless of the child's birth date, for practical, this celebration occurs on the first day of spring. The reason for this is that this celebration must be performed by a priest, and for many, this is the only time when their lives could take a favorable turn.

“Info”after saying that word, a translucent parchment appears in front of me detailing the skills I possess.

During the long conflict against Ipheria, the priests traveled through the destroyed central kingdoms of the continent in search of those who possessed heroic skills. However, from my memories as Reiner Osteen, I know this is no longer that way.

Therefore, for low-income people, or those who live in areas far from large cities, the coming of age ceremony is the only time when they will know whether they possess a skill.

"It would be bad enough if my demonic skills were discovered"

A hundred years have passed since I defeated Ipheria and I be betrayed. Although this discourages me a little, the little information I have tells me I can still unleash my revenge.

"Loki"I mumble the name of one of my skills and it activates.

Lusk the Illusory Demon was one of the most troublesome enemies I faced, not because of his power, but because it was difficult to corner him and force him to fight. His skill allowed him to create illusions that could even fool follow-up skills.

On the translucent sheet of parchment floating in front of me, except for my heroic skill, the names of the other skills disappear.

"Only someone at the level of a bishop could see through this illusion"with a wave of my hand the translucent parchment disappears.

I look up and focus my attention on the distant mansion.

Osiris has led me to reincarnate a hundred years into the future, and I have ended up as the fourth son of a Marquis. Regarding my location on the mainland, I am in the far west, far from the central lands where the war with Ipheria wreaked so much havoc and the place where I should take my revenge.

"I have a lot to do, but I'm not in a hurry..."

After leaving behind the mentality of fifteen-year-old Reiner Osteen, I turn away from the river and move through the farmland.

I reach the back door of the mansion and enter.

"Reiner? Your father is quite upset about your lack of maturity

After advancing through some corridors and reaching the staircase that leads to the next floor, I meet a beautiful woman who looks younger than her age.

"I know, mother"

"All right. Tomorrow you will officially be an adult and since you do not have any skills, your father will send you to Enaria to learn magic

"I get it"

I ignore the strange expression on the woman's face and climb the stairs.

Unlike commoners, nobles can afford to pay a magician to see if their children possess a skill long before the coming of age ceremony.

After discovering that I did not possess a skill, I became the disowned member of the family. I being constantly looked down on by my parents and humiliated by my two older brothers, I developed a submissive and withdrawn personality.

"Things will change from tomorrow"I murmur with a mischievous smile as I enter my room.

10