Chapter 3: Going Home
63 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The troops began down the unkempt trail which led to Bathoria. The grass was tall, which made walking down the path extremely difficult. “Governor Warren” one of the troops who was already panting for air looked at his commander. “Why don’t we have a proper path leading to and from Bathoria?” Many other troops where intrigued by the question and looked to Charles for an answer.

“The kingdom of Bathoria and State Ferron have a history of disputes with one another. We just can’t seem to agree on mining rights to gather Demon Crystals.” Charles continued, “The lack of trade and communication between our nations meant that road upkeep became more expensive. It only makes sense that both parties would lose interest in maintaining it.”

The armed forces continued down the invisible trail. Following closely behind Matthew, Steve and Sophia who led the way. “The Forrest is just up ahead.” Steve yelled to the troops who were further behind.

“We are finally here!” The squad amped up the pace at they approached the densely populated Forrest. 

“EVERYONE STOP” Sophia halted the young men from going any further forward. “The Demons have made a clearing in the forest. We cannot approach without any precautions.”

“That is correct” Charles pushed through the large crowed and stood by the entrance to the forest. “Demons are protected by Demonic energy while they sleep in the day. The best time to raid a Demon outpost is noon when they are just waking up.”

“If where lucky, we could even find a mine filled with Demon Crystals.” Matthew pointed at the map. “There is a large cave inside the Forrest. Demons tend to stick close to Demon Crystals as they are also a source of energy for them.

“Well I guess that means we now know which way to head.” Charles clapped his hands together. “Listen up everyone! Rest well now, we leave just before noon.”

The exhausted troops collapsed onto the ground and began their short resting period. Time ticked away and before they knew it, it was Thirty minutes before noon. “Everyone, time to get up!” Steve’s loud voice could be heard by all the soldiers. It was now time to begin the expedition.

The Soldiers crept through the dimly lit Forrest. Small flashes through the tree leaves was all they could get in terms of light. Matthew finally spotted the clearing. Surprisingly, the grade 1 Demons seemed to be living in a ‘civilized manner’.

Many wooden huts sprouted out in the open planes with a larger wooden structure in the very back. “The largest house is most likely home to the Mid-Class Demon that’s keeping the Low-Class Demons in check.” Sophia looked at Charles for a response.

“Yeah most likely.” Charles finally agreed with the young brunette before checking his watch. “5 minutes before we start the raid.” Charles seemed to be on cue, one of the Low-Class Demons, a scrawny, popped belly creature, half the size of the average male let out a large yawn. Its pitch-black skin made it hard to see if it weren’t for its piercing red eyes.

Charles signaled the troops forward. They began their attack on the huts. Swiftly, and quietly, the large garrison of 30 men entered each of the huts and wiped out the outer demon houses quickly.

“HA!” Charles looked at the remaining troops behind him. “We are only gonna need one third of our squad to take out these fucks!” The remaining men looked up happily and relieved that everything was going according to plan.

“Wait!” Sophia interrupted Charles. “We still need to deal with the larger hut in the back. Somethings telling me that a Mid-Class Demon most likely lives there.

At this point, most of the huts had been stained red. They where now able to walk through the open plains with no issues. “Okay, lets head towards the larger hut and take out the Demons in there. Keep refraining from using you’re SIMAR. The troops pulled out their swords and marched quietly and quickly towards the large hut.

“SQUEEEEL!” One of the dying demons let out a hideous cry for help.

This scared a few of the Trainees. One even decided to fire a pistol shot into the creature.

BANG!

The sound rang throughout the forest scaring birds off their treetops. Charles looked back at the soldier with frustration. “What the fuck did you just do??!” Charles was interrupted by a large cry from the grand Demon hut.

The small door opened and out crept two towering slender creatures. With large gaping wholes for mouths and death striking blood red eyes, the demons struck large amounts of fear into the soldiers. These Demons where not Mid-Class Demons, they where High-Class. “Everyone fall back into position” Sophia yelled at the paralyzed troops to form a defensive line, none of them listened. They stared in awe and disbelief at the enemies who stood before them.

The 30 troops who where clearing out the smaller huts rounded up together. Perhaps powered by their victories against the grade 1 Demons, they decided to take on one of the High-Class Demons.  The creature grinned. “You Idiots! Get back over here!” ignoring their commanders commands, the inexperienced troops charged the Demon.

The Demon crept down and prepared to lunge. Its hardened legs helped it to spring into the air - catching the troops off guard. The Demon pulled back its arms and prepared for a karate chop while in the air. The Troops responded with volleys of SIMAR rounds. The bullets charged with so little magic were ineffective. It seemed as though the Demon was ready to respond. Its hands slashed the air creating many razor sharp wind currents. 

The troops cried out in pain as they were dismembered rigorously by the inhumane threat. After 5 more volleys of currents, nothing remained of the trainees. Heaps of flesh and gore laid staining the previously green grass.  

“Don’t Worry, there’s only two!” Charles tried his best to reassure the remaining men. Sweat began to run down his face as the chances of survival dwindled.

“I’ll take the front lines! You all get behind me!” Surprisingly, Steve took the initiative to stand beside Charles at the front. His towering frame matched that of the Demons.

“Everyone! Take out your SIMAR and fire on my command!” the Trainees readied their Rifles and charged as much magic as they could into the gear. “FIRE!” Charles’ yell was cancelled out by the many rounds of bullets the troops poured into the Demons.

Unfortunately, the demons possessed unimaginable agility and easily dodged the incoming fire. Their barbaric movements made them hard to follow. One of them grinned once more before beginning its offence. It surged towards the troops who kept praying and firing. The demons sharp claws came slashing into its enemies.

“FUCK EVERYONE DUCK!” Not everyone was able to in time. In one swoop, the Demon was able to decapitate half of the troops. It dipped its hands into the sea of blood and gore and picked up one of the many heads off the ground. A big smile crept onto its face as it proceeded to eat the head. 

“SHIT I DON’T WANNA DIE!” the remaining men began scrambling away in fear. Matthew led the escape back the route in which they came. This time, the other Demon jumped into the air and stopped their escape. Its long arms grabbed two of the front troops by the neck. Matthew watched in horror as the creature snapped the soldiers in two before tossing their masses aside.

He fell abruptly to the ground. The Demon towered over him and the quivering troops. All the light available was blocked out by its demonic aura. Out of no where, Steve came running in and charged the Goliath creature, taking it by surprise. The creature yelled before swatting the man away.

Matthew tried to get back onto his feet to help but failed.The traumatizing scene he just experienced made movement foreign to him. A few of the remaining Low-Class demons approached him and the other troops. They closed in quickly and began to bite off the fingers and toes of the frozen men. One of them approached Matthew and ripped off his arm.

"FUCK NO PLEASE" Matthew had rediscovered his strength and attempted to flee. The demon sunk its claws into his legs. Guts and fresh blood began pouring out. Tears poured down Matthews face as he realized it was the end. The young man gave up and allowed himself to be eaten alive.

“Sophia! Head back to Ferron and inform the scouts! Get back up from the capital!” Sophia nodded and took off. Luckily, the Low-Class Demons where busy with the other troops. They ripped off flesh as if it where chicken and continued to dismember body parts looking for the most meat.

“HELP ME! HELP ME!” Some of the troops yelled back at the fleeing girl who couldn’t bare to look at the hell that was behind her.

Charles and the remaining troops regrouped to take on the two freaks. The Low-Class Demons also gathered around hungrily. Steve, the only one who was able to land a hit took center stage. He pulled out his sword and approached the High-Class Demons carefully. Sweat ran down the large mans cheeks. He saw what they were able to do. He gripped his slipping handle covered in sweat and looked back at Charles for instructions.

Charles followed suite and pulled out his sword as well. It was different from the other swords. Charles’ sword was much shorter and black. Regular State Ferron Swords are silver and much longer.

Charles charged energy into the sword, which sparked and coated the blade in fire. “A SACRED WEAPON??” Many of the troops where shocked that Charles was able to wield a weapon heavily dependent on magic.

“I Can’t keep this up for long!” Charles’ voice cracked. “I can at least take down one of them. You guys must assist Steve with the other. The troops nodded and took off. Charles approached the remaining Demon who was still surrounded by Low class Demons. Charles did not lack confidence. He approached the creatures with a certainty in his stride.

The hungry creatures charged but posed no threat to Charles who was able to kill them quickly and efficiently. The man approached his final enemy. “Heh” Charles matched the High-Class Demons grin. “You’re gonna have to take me down yourself!”

The Demon Sneered before charging at Charles. The Governor quickly dodged. He jumped up into the air and with a large swing of his sword, struck the creature in the back of its neck. Its hard skin was able to prevent Charles from cutting its head off.

Charles got back up and pounced again. The demon was caught off guard and prepared to catch the incoming threat. The man took out his pistol and fired a shot into the creature’s foot. The demon fell to its knees. Charles used the opportunity to lunge his sword down the demon’s throat. Its tough skin made it hard to impale. Once Charles had gotten through the flesh, the creature bit down on his arm in pain as it died. 

“FUCK!” Charles cried out in pain. His right arm, now distorted, had become a chewing toy for the deceased creature.

“ARGGHH” Charles looked over at Steve who was crying out in pain the Stronger of the two High-Class Demons had already taken care of the remaining troops. It was simply playing around with Steve.

Charles’ vision became distorted as he attempted to approach the remaining enemy. “Over there!” Sophia pointed at the mangled bodies on the ground as the reinforcements from the capital closed in.

“Finally, I… can rest” Charles collapsed onto the ground and fainted.

0