SMage 28 – Letter
991 1 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Taking the offer was well worth it. Other than getting to know the ladies in the carriage, he also had received a few other things as friendly gifts.

He got to know everyone but one, of course. The prettiest girl would forever be out of reach, and the reason was simple, he would be a dead man if he ever touched her in any way. He didn’t know if she was bored or wanted him dead, but Eliane had tried to get closer to him.

However, he had refused politely to every idea she had come up with. Julee was great at drawing the line, the limit of his interaction with the future concubine of a prince.

The amorous maid-lady is indeed a lifesaver.

The only demand he had obeyed was keeping his shell around her at all times which proved to be difficult at times. However, maintaining the spell active most of the time had increased his Aether Affinity, and his control over the spells had become more natural by each point.

He also picked up a few spellbooks from Thalia and Julee. They were the only ones who were able to keep the lady from him, and away from all the problems, she succeeded in seducing him.

Thalia’s next destination was the same as his, and she loved her tickles while being very tickly herself. Julee, on the other hand, was a great cook and her adventurous spirit was the best of her. The girl was willing to try anything.

They both were looking forward to working with him when all of this was done. He couldn’t imagine what life it would be like. Partners who share adventures, loot and also the bed.

Both of them had made him understand what Nusia couldn’t. In this world, sex was quite literally just a joyful bonding session between persons involved. Love could but didn’t need to be in the equation at all. Even if pretty girls would be as choosy as always.

The reason was clear. There were zero physical risks involved, and that tiny little distinction made a whole world of difference.

Being the only male allowed inside, his nights in the carriage were never spent alone. Often one or two of the seven ladies he didn’t even recognize would come to express their worries, and of course, spend the night.

The bonding sessions were mutually beneficial, and so he hadn’t refused when more of them wanted to join. The other female maid-guards, however, were more reserved during their turn to vent the build-up stress.

It had been and would be a long and trying journey plagued with deaths. They already had a few casualties before he joined them, and having that fact hanging inside your head would drive anyone nuts.

The ferry ride had taken two mercenaries when the boat was rocked by a huge wave. They were thrown overboard and disappeared without a trace. Not even a cry for help was heard. The underwater current or whatever had pulled them under in a split second.

The inner carriage had tilted dangerously when it happened. Nothing like helplessly trapped in a vehicle while underwater to cause fear and panic to spread. Luckily, they had a magical surveillance system installed. The situation outside was easily determined.

Half a day later, they arrived at the shore, but the fear only built up for the rest of the journey.

Artus learned why people rather pay for expensive mercs or an exorbitant price for teleportation. It seemed like God himself didn’t want Eliane to safely arrive at her destination, but Jake insisted that this was normal.

The mercs themselves knew that half of them might not make it and profit from the pay. The lead mercenary’s only fear was the human factor in the attacks. Many groups of people would want them to fail because of politics.

As expected, they had many more encounters after that.

Like before, his spells had worked well with Thalia, the only capable mage in the expedition. The [Air] mage was allowed to go all out with her spells while protected within his shell.

Thalia said his [Core] should have leveled up twice if he had actively participated in the defense. She felt bad about hoarding all of the kills and essences, hence the gifts.

Bandits, monsters, and long nights plague the convoy at almost every turn. In the last fight, they lost two maid-guards while protecting the carriage from any damage. Silent curses leaked out from these loyal retainers as things got worse by the day.

Jake had kept the mercs’ number to his own. The man’s expression told him that he had a gritty determination to complete the journey. Eliane’s mental health had also taken a toll when she started to yell at everybody, including her two best friends.

Artus won’t even comment at Jake’s long visits to the girl’s private dimensional room.

People do stupid desperate things during desperate times.

“We wouldn’t have survived this long without you, you know,” said Thalia as she snuggled to him. “I'm really looking forward to our time earning the mage license together. The old crones will love you there, and not even the crown would risk losing you.”

“Assuming, I wanted to give my trademark ability, my only advantage against other mages.”

“I’m sure you’ll find other fantastic breakthroughs over there, Artus,” said Julee, trying to win over his attention.

“I feel foolish, making all the way on my own now sounds suicidal,” Artus chuckled.

“You are not completely wrong,” Thalia corrected him. “Because bigger target attracts more attention. I’d bet we could make it together, even days ago.”

“Then what about me?” Julee pouted as she lifted her leg over him.

“Well, you get to be the first and the last tonight,” he said as he slipped into her.

Julee moaned, “surprise attacks are not fair.”

“Yes, keep telling yourself that,” he chuckled as Julee moved her own hip. “Lia, is there a way to send a message to someone specific?”

“Mmmph?” answered Thalia.

“Lia, please separate yourself from Julee before answering,” Artus chuckled. These two had been really passionate not only with him but also with each other.

-

Verona looked over the letter again even when she had read it a few times already. How long was it she hadn’t read someone else’s writing in plain English. She couldn’t believe herself right now. The letter felt like a treasure for her.

The crystal had arrived in the evening, and the letter had written itself after she had injected a tiny amount of her mana into it. She knew who had sent it right away, and the smiley face at the end was a cute gesture than a confirmation. He must have known that she would be delighted.

Artus had found himself in a troublesome situation but he insisted that he could handle it.

As he had always, she chuckled.

His existence had changed everything for her. The rather odd choice of skill set also opened many other choices she had never thought of before. Choices that should have been obvious and solve many of her problems.

His current achievement had also made it clear to her what this world was very lacking. Sure it got what she had only seen in fantasy games and movies, but very few of them had thought about protection.

Verona chuckled. Her own thought reminded her of old earth saying to play safe.

There was no need for any protection here as trying to get a child was a challenge on itself more than the old world. Keeping them safe and alive is almost impossible. Most of them would charge towards death with a smile on their face for whatever reason.

The forced early awakening is detrimental. There was no way around that. She didn’t want her next child or any other to go through the same situation, but for that to happen, she needed power. She needed to be in charge.

Verona believed that her old friend would be the key, and she would strive to protect him for this reason. Play it right and he would be safe from the backstabbing nobles, but play it wrong, he could even be an enemy of the kingdom’s rulers.

The princes valued their concubines dearly as these were the only women they could choose to have. They don’t choose who they are going to marry or have children with much like their old world.

At least, the smart ones would realize and accept the fact.

She was still alive because she was being smart about her choices. Verona knew she wasn’t clever and Artus had reminded her of this by calling her silly. The very huggable man had become even more attractive.

She didn’t know if she could hold herself at bay the next time they met, but maybe together would allow her to break away from her chains. The invisible chains that were tied around her because she had chosen survival over being abandoned, suffering, and death.

The only reason Artus had contacted her because somewhere inside, he knew that he might need help. She was glad that he had reached to her and not someone else.

She knew what to do now.

“Alex,” she said.

“You’ve called, madam,” said the man who literally walked out of her shadow.

“Make sure the Proudwater Patriarch knows what their branch family is doing, how valuable the young man is, and how a young man of his potential is severely underpaid in a very risky mission. Use the potential of this new [Arcane Shell] as an example, and tell them that they also have no claim if anything went wrong.”

“Yes, ma’am, but what about the prince?”

“I’ll talk to him or his representative myself, anyone else would be an offense to the crown. Nothing like losing a woman can rile them up.” She scoffed.

As if having two balls was still not enough for men.

“Are you expecting trouble on their journey?”

“If you know Artus as I do, you wouldn’t expect anything to go well.”

Verona chuckled.

23