SMage 34 – Old and new flame
1.1k 6 24
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

[Spend essence for Core level up? Cost 200 Essence]

[Spend remaining essence for physical attribute upgrade? Cost 20 essence per-one-point.]

[Please preallocate 6 attribute points]

[Core level up commencing…]

[Warning; the host would be disentangled during the process.]

Artus had selected yes and evenly allocated the stats between [Body] and [Mind]. Focused on one stat only would be better for the long run, but that was reserved to plot-armored MC. Regardless of what he had said, more HP is crucial for someone like him.

It didn’t take him long to figure out that his HP is based on the average of the [Body] and [Mind]. The maximum mana had also used the same formula but it was between the [Mind] and the [Spirit].

Which meant other than HP, the increased [Mind] also would increase his Mana Pool, the first line of defense for him. The shell would force his mana to run out before anything touching his HP, basically a double lifeline for direct attacks.

The level up process commenced after the last confirmation. He would have panicked if he hadn’t experienced this disconnection before. It had some differences, but the feeling of floating in the darkness reminded him of Nusia and their time together.

He had just wanted to brag to Verona when he told the lady about Nusia. The look on her face was priceless. The lady still thought that he was the same Teddy who could only get laid if he had paid for it.

And to be honest, he felt betrayed when she left him. He knew that he shouldn’t but it was one of those decisions he made without thinking. It might have been too dangerous for him, but deep inside, he still wanted to go with her. He kept thinking what if she took him with her and with her help his shell developed even better?

Artus guessed Nusia too benefited from their relationship albeit at the emotional level. He knew all along that human relation was simply one person using the other for their own benefit, but now, he understood it a little better.

There is no escaping it.

Even mother’s love had a beneficial exchange going under the surface of strong pure emotion or whatever. People wouldn’t connect if it was not beneficial to them physically or emotionally.

Why would they? It would have made no sense to invest in such a thing.

Take a hero helping random people for example, they wouldn’t have done it if they didn’t take any joy in it. It didn’t matter whether they realized it or not. The action of helping others was the reward itself.

The victim might not thank them but they got something beneficial to their psyche. Their mental health improved a little with each help they gave out.

But the question was, what if helping people made you suffer, both physically and mentally?

Would you still help others? The answer would be probably never. He had been there and he had done that. So what is his stand in this unavoidable phenomenon?

Get an equal exchange, of course, and as he had learned, sex could never be it.

Artus already knew that many would have gladly taken it as an equal exchange. He had been one of them. He only understood the fact after he had laid enough time with the best woman he ever could dream to have.

Nusia hadn’t needed to use sex to win him over and she had never refused him. A lady who would gladly give him a quickie whenever he felt like it. She made him feel like she would grant his every wish like a spoiled child.

[Core level up completed.]

[Body upgrade completed.]

[Mind upgrade completed.]

[Race updated]
[Racial trait unlocked, Celestial Charm recorded]
[Racial mutation detected, Flesh Affinity recorded]

Artus opened his eyes when he could feel himself once more. He felt a little like when he gained a new body with Nusia. His skin reacted to the tiniest breeze but it wasn’t as intense as the whole body rebuild he had undergone before.

His shell is still up with no sign of him being abused or something. At his will, the [Aether Sense] was assigned at the second slot before he activated it.

He could tell that he could keep it active even when he was unconscious, just like the shell had been. The combo was perfect for him. Who cares what everyone else said.

There were a lot more people outside the barn than he had expected. He guessed teaching the farmer how to break a skill wasn’t enough for him to keep his mouth shut. Or he was simply overpowered, forced to tell with threats. Either way, it didn’t matter anymore.

He had found the farm in the middle of nowhere, and changed his mind to find himself a cave or something. Leveling up in a random cave was kind of stupid when thought about it. The former convict turned farmer attacked him on sight but there was nothing the farmer could do to harm him.

He offered the man the knowledge of breaking a skill after the man had given up, and the farmer was flabbergasted by the turn of events. In return, he asked for some secrecy and was left alone in the barn until he was done.

The farmer might have said nothing and only had hidden with his family when these people came. That was also possible.

‘Whatever it is, it doesn’t matter,’ he mused.

Artus shrugged and pulled out his status to check on his progress. He had taken the expensive package than the cheap one, sacrificing most of his essence for attribute upgrade.

[Name: Artus] [Age: 17] [Gender: Male]
[Race: Celestial Human]
[Essence: 9]
[Status:] [Awakened (+28 Spirit)]

[Attributes]
[Body: 17] [Mind: 12] [Spirit: 31]
[Health Pool: 14/14] [Mana Pool: 21/21]

[Affinity: Aether - 28%, Flesh - 71%]
[Core: Level 2]
[Slot 1 - Arcane Shell]
[Slot 2 - Aether Sense [24%]]

[Ability List - Mastery]
[Celestial Charm - 85%]
[Axe Handling 3%]
[Chop - 5%]
[Lady Killer - 25%]
[Spell Scribe - 30%]

“Yeah, that looks appropriate,” he mumbled sarcastically.

Artus had been taken aback by the new things but it quickly became obvious. His body was made by Nusia’s essence, of course, he would inherit her race. He would have realized it long ago if he hadn’t been thinking using his dick most of the time.

He wanted to spend some time doing some testing but the people outside probably would be watching him. It was better to be safe than sorry.

He stood up and began the new day by cracking his neck. He limbered up using simple exercises so he would embarrass himself in front of the ladies. He tried to fix a smile but he couldn’t, for whatever reason. A brooding man also had his charm, so why not?

He got two slots filled already and next, he should work with the third. According to Nusia, he could learn from the magic item itself, but what she knew about it might be limited. He would take it as a last resort if things went south.

Nusia might have not planned for him to be anywhere close to the center of attention, but the fact was, she wasn’t here. She should have taken him with her.

Learning from the best of the kingdom also could prove to be disappointing at best, but he still wanted to. Perhaps the true reason was he wanted to see the true cream and crisp of a magical civilization. Who knows, he might learn one or two things.

He leaped down from the second floor and pushed the barn large doors open. Only three people were visible outside even when there were a lot more ‘holes’ in the surrounding Aether. Oddly not surprising to him.

Five were around the magic circle not far from the barn. Two behind Verona who looked at him closely and one beside Eliane. Jake was the last visible person who kept glancing at Verona for whatever reason.

He increased the range and stopped before his brain began to ache. There were a few who were watching further away for whatever reason. There was no one else other than the family of four inside the farm house’s underground cellar.

“I guess you really can see them,” said Verona after watching him for some time.

“See who?” he chuckled.

“The concealed people, who else,” her eyes narrowed.

“There are concealed people?” Artus said with a mocking smile. “So what brought you here, Lady Verona Amberhand.”

“Do you think I want to be here?” she said. The girl always loves to pick a fight.

“Yes, you are right, why would someone of your high status even want to waste time with a commoner like me?”

“Artus, please,” she said, giving up. “I’m here to ensure you get safely to the destination. But I have to ask, why leave Solis?”

“Why wouldn’t I? My business there is done. Lady Eliane is safe behind tall walls with two of her most trusted and capable guardians. There is no more reason to stay.”

“Artus, I didn’t know what are you talking about, only-”

“Eli,” Jake stopped her. “Julie, he knows already, that’s why he left.”

An older version of Eliane appeared from thin air and the lady gasped in surprise. Same hair color and as shapely as, he guessed, her daughter.

“Mama!? How?”

“How wonderful, a family reunion,” Artus laughed and everyone looked at him. “Good to see you, ma’am, I’m sorry if I got a little handsy with your daughter. I’m but a man after all and your girl was just too gorgeous. Like I’ve said, I’ll leave her in your care from now on.”

“Artus,” said both Verona and Eliane at the same time. They looked at each other before Eliane backed away.

“I’m afraid it would be more complicated than that,” Verona said.

“Don’t tell me you have ‘tried’ to help?”

“You think I have a choice!? They would blame you for all they cared!” the woman raised her voice.

Jake visibly flinched and distanced himself. It said something about the lady arguing with him when she could scare the crap out of the merc leader.

Artus groaned. “Fine, just give it to me, I don’t want to argue anymore. It’s getting very old. Just tell me what you have done.”

“Don’t you understand!?” Verona began to piss off. “These are people who are in charge in this Kingdom, you can’t just-”

“Verona, stop. I know that already. I’m not stupid and you should know this world is not so small,” he emphasized so he meant was clear.

“You can’t be saying-”

“For God’s sake, Verona.”

She looked at him in disbelief before she sighed in defeat.

“They’ve agreed to invest in your talent, and their investment is Lady Eliane as your concubine.”

“And you are here to protect the investment, am I right?”

Verona nodded meekly.

“Goddammit, woman!” he cursed out loud. “Are you planning to place me in a golden cage or something?”

Verona shut her mouth tight and Jake looked at him in disbelief.

“Artus, I…” Eliane tried to say something but she couldn’t muster the words.

“My lady, Eliane, I’m sorry I’m dragging you-”

The girl hugged him all the sudden. “I’m glad, I’m just glad I’ll be with you.”

“It just makes sense, Artus,” Verona took the chance.

“What makes sense? She is a living person, not a thing to be traded. It's ridiculous!”

“The royal family couldn’t take her in and her family would have a hard time deciding her future while both couldn’t simply let her go. This arrangement benefits everyone.”

He placed his hands on the lady’s waist and gently pushed her away. Eliane was reluctant but nothing like a gentle stare to get her to cooperate.

“I’ll cooperate, Verona, but first of all, she will not become my concubine, take it or leave it. She will decide for herself what she wants to do with her life, but that is later after she has calmed down. Secondly, what is it for me? Well, other than what’s given.”

“Well,” Verona said while getting close to him. “Anything you want,” she took his other arm and pressed her racks to him.

“Verona-”

“I know, Artus,” she insisted. “But if you help me to rise in power, we both would benefit from it, don’t you think?”

“Is that your angle?”

“It had been my goal for the longest time, Artus,” she quipped. “It’s either I win the game or get out of it unmarred. I need you to help me in that matter. Now don’t be stubborn and let’s go, the academy awaits its most unusual student,” she giggled as if she had won him over.

Both of them thought so as the two beautiful women worked together for some reason to drag him towards the magic circle. It wouldn’t be surprising they had talked it out while he wasn’t around listening.

Artus sighed. He agreed to go but not like this. Not while being sandwiched between them. His normal life would be ruined.

“Alright, I got it already,” he squeezed out from both of them. “But if we are doing this, we are doing it my way.”

“What, are you still not satisfied with us two?” Verona bit her lips.

Artus rolled his eyes. “I’ll take the damn teleport to the city, but not together with you two and no one will be there waiting for me.”

The two looked at each other before they turned back to him. Eliane was about to say something before Verona stopped her with a look.

“I need something else, you know, to show up with if you still insist on this.”

This woman always had some plan to fall on if something went wrong. There was no way he would fall for that again, but she was right, he needed to offer something to bargain for his freedom. Temporary or not it would be worth it if the bargain could buy him time.

“Then how about I tell you how to make a green flame?”

The look on her face told him that he already got a deal. The lady’s eyes almost popped out from the socket when she heard that. Her mouth opened and closed without any coherent words coming out from those thin full lips.

He might still be trying to find a place for him in this world, but there was no way he would become a doormat again. He would pay for what he wanted accordingly, and others would need to do the same to ask for anything more than he had offered.

He would decide the price, nothing more, nothing less.

24