Chapter 2: Divided we fall.
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In another city halfway across the country, DHS agents were combing through the remains of a town.  6000 citizens dead.  This was one of the two from the videos on the First.  “Six separate viral vectors identified this week.  A dozen different weapons.  And everyone who had a weapon had a [Pandemic] account.  Data downloaded showed that each [Pandemic] user was given a quest to ‘eliminate’ the 6 zombie strains.  It appears that the weapons were used to destroy these.”

Fifteen mangled drowns with needle like projectiles were located. “Get those identified and tested.  We need to stop this before it gets worse.  Super Flu, Corona, and Super Pox aside, we can’t deal with an outbreak that’s engineered.  We need to find the source of the contagions and if it was spread purposely.  We don’t need this strain of meningitis or whatever the others are getting out.”

FBI analyst Leah Royce tried to interrupt, “HHS should be in charge.  Not Homeland.”  The agent in charge dismissed her out of hand. “Its compartmentalized.  They’ll get it when it’s relevant.  CDC is under us, not them.”

Royce shook her head. “Do you care that each of the ‘players’ received notice that a purge was occurring a week before it happened.  Or that none of the virus victims were registered with the game?”  She kept everything else under wraps.  After all, if cooperation was not the order of the day, she could forward it up the chain as regulation requires.  DHS and NSA were tight lipped, and her team has shown that all the players in both towns were established beta testers.

Royce’s team included a computer expert ‘ironically’ named Mack Humboldt.  He constantly joked he was neither a penguin nor a fruit, since he used a Windows device.  Royce didn’t care, or understand his joke, but the work was excellent.  His report indicated a new cyber-virus was loose and infested the [Pandemic] game and the killings started one week after the sixth use finally logged into the game after 6 months in the hospital for the latest round of the Super Pox.  Ever since the FBI cyber unit was authorized to hire and purchase the top talent from each of the anti-virus companies, they’d been preparing for some wacko to attempt cyber terrorism attacks.  The other members of the governmental alphabet soup were still stonewalling through their PACs a bill to create a national level cyber terror agency or secretary.

She was constantly spouting to her team the Revolutionary War mantra, “United We Stand, Divided We Fall”.  How long until the warning prophesy comes true if we can not listen to the wisdom of the Founding Fathers.

1