Chapter 5: Two Step Authentication
6 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
I thought that this was published a couple of weeks ago.... Sorry.

It was early morning when a very unusual occurrence interrupted Jess’ breakfast rituals. Carefully placing the knife down, she went to the video-bell app on the omni-present screens.  Since it had been several months since the last use, it took a few moments for the app to update.

Brushing her shoulder-length blonde hair behind her ear, she was surprised when the app displayed an FBI shield.  Glancing down a little to confirm she was at least half-way decent before saying, “FBI? Huh.  Rare.  Do you mind showing your face while I confirm you against your online profiles?”

Five years ago, she’d been a stay at home wife disallowed from working.  After giving up on the 10 hour naps and binging every crime drama available, she and Josh had become interested in the idea of working out just before the restrictions were lifted for the first time.

It didn’t take long for life to go back to normal.  That was when the real problems began.  It was the killer insects, then the outbreak of several supposedly dead diseases from before the turn of the century, then the super-strains. The lockdowns started again and isolation became the nation’s cornerstone.

Jess found it ironic that the President lost first control of the public health, then the election, and finally caught one of the super-strains a week before his opponent's ultimate inauguration.  It wasn't that the President was a "bad" leader, which was true in her opinion, it was that it dug at Josh anytime they debated the powerlessness of an individual to affect the national policies. 

The government portal opened finally and chimed to get Jess’ attention.  The badge was legitimate and it’s location was in her town.  Thumbing the outer airlock button open, she waited for the officer to step in.  “I need to see both your face and the badge’s photo for the authentication site.”

The agent swore silently but visibly.  It was apparent to Jess that they liked the system about as much as she did. “I am obligated to tell you if the system returns an error it will lock you in until a police shuttle’s AI arrives to arrest you.”

The agent frowned, “That’s new.  Does it say when the site added that?” Jess ignored her waiting on the various dials mimicked to the screen.

“I’m getting the results now. Contamination: less than 5%, at least you’re not going to get us sick.” 

0