Chapter 7: Tell No One
8 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jose’s shift ended without any results in the server decontamination.  There was no problem until he tried to enter the airlock.  [Warning: You may not take unauthorized items from the facility.  Please place all items in the decontamination box.  Any unauthorized items will be confiscated.  Refusal will prevent the airlock from cycling.]

In order to trick the system he had intentionally brought several items that would be picked up by the scanner. Putting the prepared items in the bin, the static bag with the note was stuffed in his wallet.  Thankfully, the scanner cleared him without too much trouble.

Although everything seems to be online now, the antiquated notion of a wallet was still allowed at his job. Privacy laws prevent scanning the wallet for anything other than an electric signature – even the size of the wallet is not recorded.

Jose donned the mask and fresh gloves required by the company before entering the common room. The dozen or more other airlocks also opened and chit chat reigned supreme. The most troublesome part was that they all wanted to ask him about his day and the server farm.

Remaining noncommittal and brief, he headed to the exit to the garage.  The door appeared to be stuck and he stepped back to call maintenance only to see other people head out without a problem.

Soon, the room was almost empty, and he stepped toward the door again.  The door suddenly jammed for the people around him until he stepped back.

Once everyone else was gone, the dorm door flashed green.  It was a seldom used but fully furnished set of rooms designed around the “Covid Protocols.”

Trying to call the number he was given again; he found the signal blocked.  However, he had prepared for that and had “borrowed” a coworker’s phone without them noticing.

Checking that the signal was still blocked, he setup a text message and snuck the phone back to the main room.  It took a short minute before the co-worker re-entered the room looking for his phone.

0