30. The Gang again
531 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Releasing me swiftly and getting up herself, Liz bubbled out a quick apology. Right after, she reached out to help me up as soon as I got back on my feet, her arms wrapped around me once again. But this time, we were equal in height as Liz was almost as tall as me, only a few centimeters shorter. She was still softly crying, her head resting on my shoulder. I didn't know what to do. Her mixed energy was too confusing.

Shooting questioning gazes towards the other girls, getting no coherent response, I quickly decided to rest my arms around her upper back softly.

Standing like this, in a busy cafeteria for quite a while, I felt many eyes on my back. After quite a bit, Liz calmed down, and as I loosened my arms around her, she carefully pushed herself away from me. Wiping the tears out of her eyes. She softly whispered just one word: "How ?"

I expected that question. I also dreaded it. How could I answer that simple question? I couldn't just reveal the truth like this, especially not here in such a public place. And I don't even know if I should. It would surely break Liz's heart. After all, I wasn't her pet. To her, I was just a random soul drifting by and taking over its empty body. And now even the body is a different one. The Lucy that Liz knew was totally different from me.

Telling her would destroy Liz, but not telling her... That would be just as bad.

I wouldn't say I like it, but for now, I see no other option but to avoid the topic. In the end, that is just lying to Liz and the others. After I picked up my chair and sat down, I tried to explain. I Carefully choose my words, trying not to reveal too much.

"I don't know... I don't remember... All I've been told is that I've killed a mutated monster underneath the city. Triggering a sudden evolution."

Maybe that was too quick and not detailed enough. I hate how it feels like I'm working against these girls. Who I'm supposed to work with?

Nobody said anything for quite a while. The sound of eating and chatter of the crowded cafeteria took over our table again.

"A Monster? Underneath the City?" Flora's questions dispersed the localized stillness of our table. "How is that even possible? I haven't heard of monsters on Fystra in years. Especially one powerful enough to trigger an evolution like this." The tall green-haired woman sat upright, her hands folded in front of her on the table.

"Something about the temple," I responded quickly. That was something I could share the truth about, mostly. Leaning forward onto the dining table, I explained quietly. "If I understood correctly, it was a rat who absorbed mana from the temple's base. Which also hid its magical signature."

"That would explain it," said Jessica. "How nobody knew it existed. And small animals like rats can evolve with enough mana. But you are ignoring the most important thing. How can a small pet kill a monster with such strength."

"She brought you back to me twice." Liz said quietly, "First, she saved you, and now her marks upon this world ensure we can be together forever. It had to be Miia. I see no other way." She hugged me for the third time today, leaning over from her chair adjacent to mine.

"And now, thanks to Misstress Featherslight, we are going on an adventure together. That's so romantic." Riya sight.

"What are you talking about?" Jessica quickly intervened. "First of all, we are just escorting some diplomated. That's hardly an adventure. And second, that's not romantic. She's still Liz's pet, after all."

Just now realizing what they were talking about, Liz's face turned beet red, and she quickly released me from the lasting embrace.

"She isn't. Any animal that reaches intellectual level five because of evolution is legally considered a person. Their previous owners aren't entitled to compensation." Flora added in an almost monotone voice.

"Obviously," Liz said quickly. "You aren't a pet anymore. Anyone can see you are a person. You can even speak. I guess you have a language skill? I doubt you've learned English this fast."

I didn't even think about this. I already knew English in my old life. And their speech sound just like the English I'm used to unless I have a skill that somehow translates speech. "I guess. I don't exactly know how I know how to speak, but I didn't learn it."

"Maybe you have learned it from before your evolution," Flora added. "I've heard about cases where languages that were spoken in the near vicinity and thus learned before evolution, and they can speak them afterward. But that mostly applied to... not to be rude... smarter monsters. But then again, your case is unheard of anyway. So unless you get it tested, who knows?" 

"Now that you've mentioned it, what about the rest of the tests?"  I asked. "I don't even know if you know this, but I just had my physical examination, and I've been told there is a magical part. But since Ms. Featherslight left, do you perhaps know when I can take it?" 

"The earliest you could take it would be in Three days since we are on a mission for tomorrow and the day after. And as the Headmistress told us just about half an hour ago, you will join us." Flora said, her voice taking on a slightly annoyed tone near the end.

"Now that you mentioned it." Jessica intervened before I could respond."Why do you even join as a rookie? Shouldn't you learn the basics first? If you didn't even finish your basic tests yet?"

Since I didn't even know the answer, I tried thinking about a quick response, but thankfully Liz took over for me." I've been told the Headmistress wanted her to know what our job is all about quick, And since this is just a simple escort job. There is no danger involved. Even though that obviously means a rare but necessary part of the job is missing."

"Considering how late in the semester her enrollment was, it makes sense not to waste time. But why would you even choose a class if you don't even know the subject." Flora added, now back in her usual monotone voice.

She's not wrong. It feels like Gwen is just Miia in light, always pulling me somewhere without even giving me the context. I feel like some info would help... Miia?... you here?? She still didn't make herself notice since yesterday evening. I guess we drained her mana more than we should've. That just means making up something yet again.

"This is basically like an orientation. I think... Anyway, what even is the mission? And when do we leave?"

"Flora," Jessica called out. 

"Yes," she responded.

"She's our information specialist." Jessica clarified.

"Planet Alpha-487, also known as Zygerria started the process of joining the union nearly half a year ago. Our pending mission is to escort a group of diplomats through the gate."

Before I could ask a follow-up question or respond at all, a phone started ringing.

"Hello, Elizabeth here." She answered, "Headmistress... Yes..." 

She laid down her phone on the table and pressed the loudspeaker button. Quickly Gwen's voice started to ring out. 

"I hope you guys had some time to get acquainted like this."

"Not really, it's..." I tried to intervene, but she didn't give me a chance.

"But since your lunch break is almost over, you got all time you need over the next two days. So please return Lucy back to me. Just bring her back to my office. And I am going to make sure she turns up tomorrow. Thank you, and see you soon."

 

I once again feel like a pet dragged along by my collar. 

 

 

six months. 

Thx for reading. Like and review would help be nice thx.

Also, the plan stayed the same. The next chapter is mostly smut (unless the intro is too long and I make it a different part), and then we are off to a different planet, hunting down a piece.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

13