8 – Misunderstandings
903 4 31
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Hmph! I couldn’t believe this. How could he have known that I wasn’t really crying? It always convinced my father and never failed to sway any of the maids. So just how…?

I had no idea how he managed to see through me. After all, I’d been practicing for years. There was no way I made any mistakes.

Stumped by these thoughts, I was scratching my head furiously while lying on my bed. An unfortunate nearby pillow had to face my wrath as I pounded it mercilessly, imagining that it was Damien.

I stuffed my face, red from embarrassment, deep into the pillow.

“Gaah…”

I felt powerless against him. Even though I came from a royal background, the way people acted seemed completely different here. I couldn’t help but get swept into Damien’s pace.

Ever since he had caught me at Arcadia and roped me in with his sweet smile, he’s been rather cold and controlling. Considering his attitude toward his servants, I believed that was his true persona.

It’s not like this was new to me though. My father was much more controlling. At least Damien lets me talk with others besides his servants.

I was already enjoying the additional freedom here. Also. Food, clothes, and service! He even hired Lydia to train me for Arcadia. What more could I have asked for?

After thinking about everything he had done for me, I decided to forgive him for exposing me earlier. Doubting that he would reveal me to Lydia, I eased out a relaxed breath.

Now that I was in a better mood, I laid on my bed and smiled at the ceiling while hugging the pillow I had beaten up. After a short while, I heard two knocks on my door.

“Little Miss Camay, may we come in?”

I hurriedly shuffled myself to sit on the edge of my bed before replying.

“Yes, please enter.”

Two maids slowly stepped into my room and bowed.

“We are here to prepare you for tonight’s meal with Duke Hazel. My name is Farel.”

“M-my name is Laura.”

Farel was a young woman with long burnt-sienna hair, and Laura was a young girl with shoulder-length lilac hair.

Huh? There should’ve been at least two hours before dinner. I was confused as to why they were here so prematurely.

“Um, isn’t it a bit early for such preparations?”

“I-I apologize! We’ll return at a later time…” Laura was apologizing profusely while repetitively bowing.

Farel gently placed a hand on Laura. “Laura, you’re misunderstanding. The Little Miss doesn’t mean it that way. Remember what the head maid told us.”

Her argent eyes turning sharp, Farel gazed at me with a soft smile before explaining.

“Little Miss, your appearance must be at its best in the presence of the Duke. We will be of assistance by starting with a flower bath, then a gown selection, and finally styling.”

Although two hours for three tasks seemed rather excessive, I decided to not question this matter any further.

“I see.” I said while smiling, “I am ready.”

Laura turned to look at Farel with an admiring expression. I didn’t know why, but I felt like it was my fault for some reason.

“Little Miss, please follow us,” said Farel.

They led me to a luxurious bathroom where an embellished bathtub had already been prepared with a variety of flowers covering every inch of water.

I took a deep breath… and my eyes widened from the fragrances. Jasmine, lotus, peony, rosemary, chamomile, and orchid… they were all my favorites. Closing my eyes, it felt as if I was back at my father’s castle.

✦✧

I don’t quite remember what happened, but I had spent almost an hour in the bath, and I was now confronted with choosing a gown from the ten that were lying on my bed.

“Little Miss, are any of the gowns to your liking?” asked Farel.

“I-if not, we will bring more! There’s lots more!” said Laura.

I might be picky with food, but I definitely wasn’t picky with clothes. Instead, I wondered how they managed to acquire such an abundance of clothes that fit me. Haven’t I only been here for two days?

“Umm… I don’t mind what I wear.”

“I’m sorry! I-I will bring new ones…” Laura spoke nervously.

“Laura,” said Farel curtly.

“Y-yes?”

“Don’t be so nervous. Otherwise you will make the Little Miss feel uncomfortable.”

“But… if the Little Miss tells Master that we’re incompetent then—”

“Calm down. Have you not realized that this is the second time you’ve assumed the Little Miss’s words? You must listen faithfully.”

Laura’s azure eyes widened, and she stared at me as if asking for approval, to which I smiled and nodded in response. Her eyes began to well.

Was Damien really that scary? Perhaps he was the type to give harsh punishments?

“Please excuse us, Little Miss,” said Farel while she was approaching Laura to hug her.

“Don’t worry, Laura. The Little Miss is unlike our previous Young Lady, and our Master is nothing like our previous Master.”

“Y-yes…”

Laura was sniffling while wiping her tears away. Shortly after, she spoke confidently, “Please excuse my earlier rudeness, Little Miss Camay!”

It seemed like her earlier uneasiness evaporated after Farel had cleared her worries.

“It’s okay. I almost thought that Duke Hazel was treating you badly, but I’m glad that is not the case.”

“Oh no, of course not! The Master may be scary, but he is neither violent nor threatening…”

Laura quickly covered her mouth, probably due to her remark.

“Maybe he was born with a scary face?” I agreed with a contemplative expression.

Laura uncovered her mouth and gleefully replied, “Yes! Hee-hee.”

Farel chuckled mirthfully as we bad-mouthed their Master. Serves you right, Dummy Damien!

“Little Miss, may I share a suggestion on picking your gown?” asked Laura.

“Yes, please.”

“I will rearrange the gowns behind your back, and you pick a number from one to ten. The number you choose will determine your gown. How does that sound?”

Oh, that sounded fun! “That’s a great idea!”

Laura turned to Farel, who was nodding proudly at her.

“Then, Little Miss, may I ask you to turn around?”

After facing my back towards the bed, I heard the two of them shuffling the gowns around.

“Okay. Please say a number between one and ten.”

“Seven.”

“Little Miss, this will be your gown during the evening.”

It was a sleeveless amber-colored gown with white frills underneath. Accompanying it were two ruffle armbands for my upper arms.

I sighed at all of the other gowns that were just as deluxe in their own ways. Why did I have to wear such fancy clothing? It’s not like I was eating with anyone else besides Damien.

After helping me into the gown, Farel guided me to the dressing table at the corner of my room. I was seated in front of a large mirror with the two of them standing behind me.

“Little Miss, how would you like your hair styled?” Farel asked.

“Umm, curls please.” I said the first thing that came to my mind.

“Laura, you’re the best at curls. We’re counting on you.”

“Okay! I promise that the Duke will be enchanted by our Little Miss!”

I wanted to say that this wasn’t a big deal, but I didn’t want to ruin Laura’s enthusiasm.

“Thank you for everything, Farel, Laura.” I smiled crescents at them through the mirror.

“The Little Miss is…”

“—So adorable…”

I could feel my face reddening from their conjoined compliment. My body naturally shrunk as I faced downwards.

“Little Miss, um, please excuse my rudeness, but may I ask you a question?” Laura said.

“Ah, yes. What is it?”

“Please forgive me if this is supposed to be a secret, and you don’t have to answer, but… everyone in the manor is talking about you and… and… we are wondering if you are perhaps… related to the Duke?”

Huh? Forget related—I only ran into Damien two days ago. He was practically a stranger to me. Maybe I was misunderstanding her question in some way?

“What do you mean by related?”

“Um… that is—! Are you, perhaps… his long-lost daughter?”

Wa-wa-wa-what?!

31