Chapter two (3)
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Walter was already quite familiar with the route to Mr. Jodanham's townhome and found it easy to make his way there. Knocking on the door, he waited till the lanky butler stood before him with a frown on his face.

"You again; the master is busy with guests,"

"Move; I don't have the time to listen to you," Walter slipped into the house.

Before the man could process what had happened and rush after Walter's figure; he had made it into the formal sitting room. Walter paused as he noticed the guests that the butler had mentioned. A nobleman garbed in a sharp suit and a loudly dressed lady; who Walter could see despite the heavy make-up, her natural beauty, sat in a discussion.

Mr Jodanham, who was bowed in an explanation, paused at the sight of Walter; causing the attention of the room to shift to Walter, who seemed to be unaware of the stares. He stared down at Mr. Jodanham. Something about this man irritated him. What? He could not put a finger on it.

"What..." Mr. Jodanham started to say.

"Forgive me, sir, I tried..." the butler tried to explain.

"I don't have time and neither should you," Walter said. He always prided himself someone who knew his place. But he could not shake the feeling of power that rushes through him when doing the lady's work. Yes, he knew his place quite well and standing there he knew who was who to fear; Lady Wickshire first, then others.

"Do you have it?" he asked Mr Jodanham.

"Well, I was about to …," Mr. Jodanham felt the temperature of the room sink.

"Let's talk," Walter said. Mr. Jodanham looked at the nobleman and lady and bowed deeply.

"Forgive me, my lord, my lady, I will only be a minute," Mr. Jodanham led Walter away up to his study.

"Look, boy, you can't show up when you please. One should know his place!" Mr. Jodanham spun and raged the moment the door closed.

"Do you know of the headmistress of Courtkruff Ladies Academy?" Walter cut him off. The question caused the round man to pause.

"You have instructions; everyone in her confidence, friends and all, how they are related to the minute detail and how they make contact,"

"The lady asked this?"

"Would I come, if not?" Walter asked.

"I will see to it,"

"Are you done with the first job?"

"Yes, just one moment. But...does the lady want this immediately?" Mr. Jodanham asked.

"Why?"

"No reason. I just felt that if I had more time, I could do a much more impressive job... if it could be delayed...at least till this night... even though I'm quite busy … I could..."

"What are you busy with this night?"

"Oh, nothing much; the lady's work comes first. Time is of the essence. I will see to some lords and then..."

"Who?" Walter asked, making Mr Jodanham pause. Walter knew not to ask, but he did not trust this man and was sure he was up to something. He had no intention of leaving the document with him for one more minute than needed.

"This is someone you do not know of, so there is no need to ..."

"There is a need. Requesting to keep the document till you have met with some people is a clear sign that something is wrong. Who do you intend to see this night?"

"Just Lord Morge and some others you don't know...it is nothing suspicious, I assure you. No need to let the lady know of it... but... if you..." Mr. Jodanham started to say.

"I will wait downstairs for the document," Walter said and walked away. Going down, he found the lord and lady had yet to leave. It seemed whatever they came for was not simple; otherwise, they would have left; seeing how rude Mr Jodanham was just a while ago.

"What do you do, boy?" the nobleman asked.

"I am yet to find out myself," Walter answered.

"A man that does not know what he does is beyond simple," the nobleman said.

"A simple man does not do beyond what he knows" Walter answered, causing the nobleman to nod and the lady, to stifle a smile.

"Then, I'm curious as to what is beyond you," the nobleman said. He found this boy curious in every way.

"I never agreed to be a simple man," Walter answered. The nobleman believed every word he said. Very few people of the lower class had this kind of education displayed by the boy or the confidence to say those words. He was sure someone was behind this boy, making him confident, making him without fear.

Mr. Jodanham rushed down and handed the document to Walter, who was still standing in the sitting room. Walter looked down at it. He did not know if this was what was asked of Mr Jodanham, but he had no intention of letting Mr. Jodanham relax, so he took his time to flip through the pages.

"Let's hope you worked to impress," Walter said, glancing at the now-sweating Mr Jodanham. Giving a little bow that was no different than a nod to the nobleman and lady, he left the townhome.

0