V2 C8 : Into the Forest
5 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Paths‌ ‌Of‌ ‌Life‌ ‌

 ‌

Volume‌ ‌2‌ ‌:‌ ‌Path‌ ‌of‌ ‌a‌ ‌Warrior‌ ‌

 ‌

Chapter‌ ‌8 ‌:‌ ‌Into the Forest

 

Breakfasts at the Ao tribe were quite lackluster. People were always in a hurry to take off for work, leaving little time for a proper breakfast. In terms of food, most families just ate leftovers from the night before. But in terms of atmosphere, it was filled with optimism and excitement - in anticipation of a good productive day ahead. And yet a certain awkward air had gripped Master Zhen’s residence that morning.

 

*munch* *munch*

 

Zhang Gui and Bo were calmly nibbling on some bacon slices. Every now and then they would stare at Master Zhen with looks of injustice.  Master Zhen could only bear it for so long before he had to offer a large slab of meat from his own plate as compensation for his snoring. The duo accepted his tribute without even batting an eye, the exhaustion of staying up all night had made them far hungrier than usual.

 

“Wow you guys sure are hungry! Nice..nice.. Young people should eat more.”

 

“ You will also need that extra energy. The hunt with Longwei won’t be a walk in the park. Did you guys make any plans?”

 

The silence only made him more awkward.

 

*munch* *munch*

 

As Zhang Gui felt the flavourful meat dissolve in his mouth, he began to cool down. The night had made him irritable and he was simply taking it out on Master Zhen. It was Master Zhen’s hut to begin with - the  fact that he and Bo were being housed for free was already an incredible gesture of kindness. 

 

After what felt like hours he finally decided to speak, “Yes, Ao Longwei had asked us to show up at the North Gate as soon as we were done with our breakfast. As for any specific plans about the hunt itself - he said he would explain them once we set off.”

 

Zhang Gui was relatively easy to placate when compared to Bo. It took two extra bacon strips for him to stop scowling at Master Zhen.

 

“Ah..that makes sense. The North Gate is the only choice that you novices can take. I guess we should get moving. The hunting party must be waiting for me.”

 

“Master Zhen, you will be leading the hunting party today ?”

 

“Haha..Yes. As the champion of the tribe I have to lead the party once in a while and today, they are planning some crazy stuff so I will have to go and supervise the lot. Ao Jing  is a competent leader but even he needs support every now and then.”

 

“Well then, let’s get going. But boy, you are not planning to go wearing just that are you? Oh wait, you don’t have any armour do you? Wait just a moment..”

 

Zhang Gui was left looking down upon the rough leather hides he had been wearing ever since he entered the tribe as Master Zhen rushed into his room.

 

“I guess I would need something a bit more sturdy.”

 

“Here , this should be fine. I had some equipment lying around so I thought you might as well use it.’’, tossing the package towards him, Master Zhen ran outside the hut. “Anyways I will leave before Ao Jing comes running  to drag me there.”

 

Watching him bolt away towards the West Gate, Zhang Gui diverted his attention towards the package that had landed in his hands. It was a neatly folded leather hide - far thicker than the one he was wearing. In fact it would be better to call it an armour. The double line stitching was intricate. It even included four small guards for the elbows and knees. As he unfolded the armour, a sheath dropped down onto the floor.

 

“Hmm..there's even a weapon?’’

 

He removed the unremarkable sheath only to see his face reflected in the shining side of a steel knife. 

 

“This face...ugh..why is it so ugly?”

 

“Nevermind that..I should get going as well. Oh but before that..”

“Brother Bo, are you sure you want to come with me? I just pretentiously assumed that you would want to go to the forest last night but then I realized that I had never asked for your opinion.”

 

But all of Zhang Gui’s worries melted away with a single enthusiastic nod from Bo.

 

He donned the leather armour in a hurry and hung the sheath on its belt. 

 

The walk to the North Gate was uncomfortable to say the least. The armour was too eye catching and so was the person wearing it. The villagers stared at him and Bo with strange gazes - a bit more so than usual. Thankfully, Master Zhen’s house was only a short walk from the North Gate. 

 

Soon enough, he could spot Ao Longwei who was fidgeting around in front of the fence walls of the village next to the gate. He looked exactly the same as he had back when they had encountered each other in the forest except this time he was carrying a huge bag on his back. The disproportionate bag which looked like it was filled to the brim was barely hanging from his shoulders. 

 

Ao longwei was too distracted to notice Zhang Gui’s arrival. He kept on fidgeting around with his fingers and sighing every few seconds. Zhang Gui saw this as an opportunity for revenge that he could not forego. Creeping up next to Longwei, he suddenly shouted ,“ AAAAAAh!”

 

“AAAAAAAAH! Mummy!”, unexpectedly the response he got was an even louder shout than his own.

 

“He actually shouted ‘mummy’? I am now more and more worried about this expedition. What kind of hunter has such little awareness.”

 

It took him a few moments to regain composure.

 

“Uh..ha..ha, little brother you sure are a prankster. Here I was worried thinking that maybe you had bailed on me but it turns out you just wanted to scare this elder brother. Hehe.. you might think that you were successful but I already knew about your plans. I just could not disappoint my little brother so I played along with it.”

 

He lied as naturally as he breathed. But Zhang Gui decided not to expose him after taking a look at his eyes. 

 

“He looks tired. Even his eyes are red. Did he not get any sleep either?”

 

“ Why did it take you so long to arrive though? Oh..Oh..wait, is that - wow you got new armour? A new weapon as well? And here I thought we would have to go to the tribe’s warehouse and beg for them to lend us some.”

 

“ Yes. Master Zhen gave these to me.”

 

“Master Zhen is really generous with you, isn't he? Perhaps I should also shift over to your hut for the free goodies - oh but then my mom would be sad. What a conundrum.”

 

“Ugh..This guy speaks way too much.”

 

“Mister Longwei, weren’t we getting late?”

 

“Oh yes… But wait, how come you call my name so formally? Is this how you are supposed to treat your big brother? Now let us hear it..call me big brother longwei .”

 

“You wish to be called ‘Big Bother? Seems a bit excessive to me but sure - let's get going big bother. Also, forgive me if I make some mistakes while speaking Taka - you see it's only been 3 weeks since I started learning it so i might mispronounce some words.”, an imperceptible smirk floated on Zhang Gui’s face as if to say ‘ You are not the only one who can lie.’

 

“No, no that is clearly…”

 

“Oh look who it is! The most incompetent apprentice hunter of our generation.’’

 

Unfortunately, their banter was interrupted by an uninvited guest. 

 

‘’Coming over to the North Gate so early in the morning, are you by chance going out for a hunt? Again ? You never learn, do you Longwei?”

 

The youth walking up to them was garbed in the same type of armour as Zhang Gui’s. By the way he was talking, he seemed to be around Longwei’s age but he looked far older. His height was at least a head taller than Ao Longwei. Holding onto a spear with his right hand, he looked quite strong . His long green tinged black hair was tied up into a pony. 

 

“Tough guy’’, that was the only assessment Zhang Gui could make and it was pretty obvious that he did not come to wish them good luck.

 

“Ao Yan! To what do we owe this pleasure? The ace candidate of the hunting party has decided to personally here and mock us. Shouldn’t you be at the West Gate by now? I heard that the hunting party is going for a pretty special expedition today.” 

 

“Oh so you have heard? I guess you are keeping close tabs on the hunting party. Today is the last day of this year’s recruitment isn’t it ? Is that why you are heading out into the forest? To secure that last prey? Hahaha”

 

“I can help you out if you want. We are close friends aren’t we. I can talk to Master Zhen and get him to allow you into the hunting party. Only it won't be possible to take you in as a hunter so how about you become our mule instead? We have been looking for someone to carry our stuff for us - looking at how you are carrying the backpack of yours, I am sure you will be a perfect fit. ”

 

The insults were quite jarring but Ao Longwei only responded with a sarcastic smile , “No, thank you. I still have one last opportunity left and I am sure that we can succeed. And as far as this backpack of mine is considered...I think it's none of your business.”

 

“Oh ho as usual you have quite the mouth on you. If only words could hunt ,you would have become an ace hunter by now. You think you will succeed this time? On what basis? That new kid? He hasn’t even learned the basics yet…”   Ao Yan abruptly stopped. His eyes grew twofold with shock. His trembling finger was pointed towards Zhang Gui, more specifically they were pointing towards his armour.

 

 

“You..you..new kid.. Why do you have that?!”

 

“Me?”, Zhang Gui was confused by the sudden glare he had received. Looking down at himself he thought, “ What is this guy talking about?”  

 

Not bothering to wait for a proper reply the tall brute smashed the base of his spear on the ground as he charged over towards Zhang Gui. His speed was disproportionate to his body size. It took him only 4 long steps to cover up the distance between them. Fortunately in that time, Ao Longwei had stepped forward between the two of them, unsheathing the knife that he always carried with him and hiding Zhang Gui behind him.

 

A head on collision between a long knife and a spear. The result was obvious without even looking at the clash. Luckily for Ao Longwei, the spear somehow stopped an inch away from his face. 

 

“Hunter Yan!! Do you know what time it is? Everyone is gathered at the West Gate and you are here bullying your juniors? Is that why I promoted you to be an ace hunter candidate? Is that why you carry that spear?”

 

No one noticed how or when Master Zhen had appeared right next to them grabbed onto the spear shaft. And no one was more surprised than Ao Yan himself. He could feel the strength with which his spear was being held. The fierce tiger instantly became a scaredly cat. 

 

“Ma...master Zhen it’s not like that. This new boy...he is wearing gear that is only issued to the hunting party. So I just wanted to discipline him a bit, nothing more.”

 

“Oh? You are worried about the gear? No one told me that you had become the quartermaster of the tribe. I guess congratulations are in order.” , hearing the three of them talk had made Zhang Gui aware of just how much this tribe loved to engage in verbal mockery.

 

“Besides, I was the one who gave Zhang Gui that gear.”

 

Hearing that the gear was given by master Zhen must have shocked Ao Yan. For a while all he could do was stare at Ao Longwei and Zhang GGui. 

 

“Longwei, you should get going as well. Today is an important day for you as well, so why are you wasting it just standing here. You too Yan, let us go as well.”

 

Ao longwei and Zhang Gui were more than happy to comply. But Ao Yan only stood still. A hint of frustration surfaced on his face. The scaredly cat somehow found courage.

 

“Even if it is you Master Zhen, I don't see how it makes sense. The gear of the hunting party, the gear inscribed with the sacred Ao emblem, it has to be earned. How could you just give it away to the new boy like that for free ? Aren’t you being too biased?”

 

*sigh*

 

Master Zhen shook his head in exasperation. 

 

“Kids these days..”

 

Normally he would just beat up anyone who talked back to him. His fists were already itching for a fight but he knew that he could not do so this time. Beating up Ao Yan would only reinforce his belief that Zhang Gui was being favored unnecessarily. It was time to be diplomatic.

 

With a dumbfounded expression on his face “ When did I say that I had given the gear away or that it was for free?

This is my personal gear from back in the day that I am letting this new boy borrow. And as interest he has agreed to pay me back by harvesting herbs for the tribe from the forest. Isn't that right Zhang Gui?”

 

“Harvest herbs? Me ?”

 

Suddenly it was Zhang Gui's turn to sport a dumbfounded expression. As he looked over at Master zhen with doubt in his mind, he saw those round eyes of his wink at him ever so subtly and suddenly it all made sense for him.

 

“Yes, I have borrowed these things only to ensure my safety in the forest. In return, i will harvest herbs for the tribe.”

 

“See Ao Yan, does that satisfy you ? Zhang Gui has already promised to find 5 glacial lotus leaves and 5 mature ginseng roots by next fortnight. Now let us leave. If you cause any more delays, I will personally strip you down in front of all the girls in the village.”

 

And just like that Ao Yan withdrew his protests and obediently followed Master Zhen back towards the west gate.

 

It did not take Ao Longwei long after that to ask the guards on the fence to open up the North Gate.

 

*Creak*

 

The slowly opening gate attracted Zhang Gui’s entire attention. The scene revealed behind it splashed his eyes with the colour green. It was a thriving grassland.

 

Stepping on the grass still moist from the morning dew, Ao Longwei spoke excitedly, “ This must be your first time seeing this prairie right? The last time we came through here you were knocked out cold..haha. Well this time you should enjoy it - this place we call Ao’s Grace.”

 

                                           ……….

  

Meanwhile back in the village, Master Zhen and Ao Yan met a crazed man on their way back to the hunting party. 

 

“ Zhang Gui! Where is my prized student? I heard he was going to the forest today? He should give up all that nonsense and start studying already - every second is important. Uncle Zhen have you seen him?”

 

“That boy must have already left for the forest by now. But Daquan, what's wrong with you?”

 

“What's wrong with me? Nothing I am perfectly fine.. In fact I am more than fine. If the boy left already then there is not much I can do, I will just have to compensate for the time wasted today.”

 

“Just you wait… even the imperial examinations are nothing in front of me. The Baron..hehehe..he will be so….”

 

Without even finishing his sentence, the crazed Chief Daquan retreated back towards his residence while muttering something about deducting 5 mins off every bathroom break.

 

Ao Yan was shocked once more, he had never seen the Chief so agitated before. The Chief he knew was always steadfast and sharp. Then why was he behaving so strangely….he could not figure it out.

 

Master Zhen on the other hand had already formed a concrete theory in his mind.

 

“Zhang Gui and Bo could not sleep the entire night due to my snores. Ao Longwei also seemed to have bloodshot eyes, I don’t think he slept much either. And now even Daquan is running around with those red crazed eyes, clearly he got no sleep last night. This can only mean one thing...My snores kept them all up?! Just how loud are my snores?! Goddamn it I will have to give all of them some more bacon.”

 

Hurry up Yan..and add a few pigs to our list of hunting priorities. I will be needing some bacon.”

0