Chapter 24: First day of classes
448 1 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Artian and Sylvester’s horsing around was suddenly interrupted by a knock on their door. It was strange that despite them being all the way inside their dorm room, they could still hear it as if they were right by the front door.

“Oh yeah, the headmaster did mention something about our uniforms being delivered right? I guess this is it.”

“Yeah let’s go fuckin get it.”

The pair then went to answer the knocks and opened the door, they were greeted by two tall men wearing black suits and black sunglasses.

Without saying a word the men simply handed a box over to Artian and Sylvester each and left immediately after the fact. Leaving Artian and Sylvester there all alone as they stared at the parcels they received.

---

Morning the next day and Sylvester was rather excited for proper classes to begin. After experiencing the painful but effective method of learning spells, he realized he can spend less time on just practicing one spell and focus on magic studies that in turn can make his spells more effective.

He also plans to spend some time reading at the library, not really much to study but in the hopes he can stumble into something cool like an old book with hidden meanings or something. At least that is what he was hoping for.

Getting up from bed he saw that Artian once again got up before him. He then just chalked it up to Artian being some kind of Knight hence is used to waking up earlier. Sylvester wasn’t that much in a hurry since his class was at 9AM and it was just 7:30 at the moment.

He got out of the sleeping quarters and headed straight for the bathroom to brush his teeth and wash his face before going down to eat breakfast. Taking his ID card and frowning upon the dwindling credit balance, with a heavy sigh he left the room and went downstairs.

Upon going down he greeted the twins a good morning before entering the canteen.

There, he saw Artian donning the school uniform that was delivered to them by the strange expressionless men wearing a formal suit the night before. However it’s nothing special really since the uniform is just a maroon vest, white long sleeves, a red tie, black pants, and black leather shoes, with the school’s emblem patched onto the left chest of the vest.

The emblem was of simple design since it was only the image of the giant clock hanging in the sky with all its arms gathered at the first quarter of the circle. The words Inanis Orbis were then wrapped around outside the clock, completing the emblem.

Artian noticed him the moment he got into the cafeteria and waved at him.

After lining up and taking his order, he went ahead and joined Artian who was sitting alone on his table.

Around this time the canteen was rather spacious and was only half full, or half empty depending on your perspective. Small cliques are now starting to form, at least amongst the people who live in the same dorm as Sylvester but the majority of the people eating were sitting by their lonesome.

“Good morning man.” Artian greeted Sylvester as he sat down.

“Mornin.” Sylvester returned the gesture.

“Class already?” Sylvester Asked as he started eating.

“Nope, Estelle wanted to go and check out the library today so here I am. My first class of the day is at 10AM and her first class ends around 9AM.” He replied.

The two of them made a bit small talk before Artian was done with his food and left the table. He said goodbye and left the cafeteria.

Sylvester took his time finishing his meal, truthfully he was a little too relaxed, taking in the diner like atmosphere.

“Despite being in a school erected on an island floating through a void, mornings can be quite dull huh?” Sylvester thought to himself.

After a few more minutes he finished and got up and went back to the room to finish up morning prep. Artian left soon after to go and wait for Estelle.

Sylvester then went ahead and took a shower, taking his sweet time since Artian was already done with his business and was already out.

After loitering around in the bathroom contemplating some existential questions, he got out and got dressed. As expected, he went ahead and wore his tophat disguised as a baseball cap.

This whole process took about an hour and it was 8:30 in the morning, still quite a generous amount of time really so Sylvester still wasn’t in a hurry.

Going down from the room he greeted the twins one more time before heading out to wherever his lecture hall is. He took out the ever convenient ID to check where exactly his first lecture will be held.

“Lecture hall 5, second floor, modern magic theory building.” Sylvester then followed the directions given by the IDs GPS-like system, and within five to 10 minutes of walking he arrived at his destination.

True to the building’s name having “modern” in it, the place boasted a contemporary design, with a rather minimalistic outside appearance and a lot of see through glass.

Sylvester was expecting to see the twins once again but was surprised that they weren’t present at the front desk of the building. Truth be told there wasn’t even a front desk to begin with. He then went up and to the second floor and easily found Lecture hall 5.

It was still around 15 minutes before classes started so he wasn’t expecting a lot of people to be inside the lecture hall. He went inside and found a lone woman staring out into the window with solemn eyes.

Silver hair, pale skin, crimson eyes. It was none other than the girl from another world, Rossa.

She was wearing the school’s female uniform, consisting of white long sleeves with a maroon colored corset-like vest on top and a tie, combined with a long black skirt, what appears to be black leggings, and black shoes. But on top of all that was the same hooded cloak she was wearing since the first day.

She was sitting by on the second layer of pews at the back near the windows, silently letting time pass by as she awaited the arrival of the lecturer.

It doesn’t seem like she noticed Sylvester, or much more accurately, she didn’t care about Sylvester’s arrival.

Sylvester was kind of a little bummed out that the seat he wanted was taken. To him that particular seat was “his” spot. In every other school he has been to throughout his travels he has always done his best to obtain what he jokingly calls “The protagonist seat”.

This is the first time his streak was broken.

“Damn it.” He said to himself. “I knew I should have gotten here earlier but noooo! I just had to idle around in the shower stupid stupid.” He inwardly berates himself.

Accepting his fate, he then moved and sat on the top pew still next to the windows directly above where Rossa was.

This time Rossa seemed to have noticed his presence and was taken out of her solemn stupor and looked behind her. An awkward silence then ensued.

Sylvester, starting to get a little annoyed at the awkwardness, decided to break the ice.

“Good morning miss Argentum.” He greeted her with a smile.

Rossa however silently stared at him for a while with blank eyes before giving a response.

“Good morning to you as well, mr Clearsight.” She replied in a graceful yet uninterested tone.

“Oh looks like she remembers me at least.” Sylvester thought to himself.

Soon students started flocking into the lecture hall one by one, until most of the seats were filled. It seems this particular subject is popular.

And just like Sylvester, the newcomers all glanced at Rossa the moment they entered the room and whispers began to fill the room, to which Rossa simply ignored. She was used to this treatment.

“Well that’s to be expected I guess.” Sylvester thought as he observed the situation.

“Anyway where the hell is the lecturer?” He inwardly complained as he looked at the clock outside and saw that it was only about three more minutes before 9AM.

Soon 9AM came and still, no one arrived.

“Okay maybe they are just a little late no worries.” Sylvester thought to himself once again as he kept his gaze at the clock.

Five minutes later and still, no lecturer has arrived. The people in the room were starting to get impatient, including Rossa who was visibly checking the clock outside over and over every few minutes.

Thirteen minutes in and everyone was visibly starting to run out of patience as the whispers and low handed complaints became louder and louder. Suddenly loud footsteps can be heard from outside the room with ever increasing intensity.

The door then burst open as a young looking woman wearing a black long robe and a large matching witch hat barged into the room with great speed. She had short black hair and wore glasses that had a thick frame.

“Oh no no no I am laaaaate-” She screamed as she entered, somehow tripping herself in the process.

“Uwaaaaaaah!” She screamed as she rolled on the floor helplessly and crashed into the front desk with a loud thud and seemingly knocked herself unconscious on the floor.

16