Chapter 29: A curious exchange
417 5 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Welp this is not helping me at all.” Sylvester sighed as reading about chain casting isn’t as helpful as he had hoped.

“Bla bla visualization, bla bla feel your mana.” Sylvester complained in his mind.

It seems that the books just kept repeating the same words over and over and no real concrete description of what he should do.

Still, there were a few somewhat helpful tips like trying to restrict the flow of mana like a tube restricting the flow of water.

It would seem that I need to visualize the act of restricting my mana.” His thoughts then concluded on this small realization.

After all, spell use is simply a command you give to a pool of mana, mainly to give shape and form to a thought. The chant itself is there to convey your command clearer to the mana and the poetic use of language helps a lot.

But chain summoning doesn’t have a chant, and it’s what leaves him stumped.

“It wasn’t much but at least it’s somewhat of a lead.” Sylvester thought as he stood up to look for another reference book when he heard a voice inside his mind.

“Hey, can ask you something?” It was a female voice that spoke inside his head.

Acting on instinct he then shifted his gaze towards the girl sitting across the table. His gaze met hers and that was that he needed to confirm the owner of the voice.

“A telepathy spell huh?” Sylvester replied.

Sylvester then realized that since they were in a library, this is the best method of communication. After all, silence needs to be observed.

“Okay, ask away.” Sylvester then agreed to answer Rossa’s inquiry.

Firstly, do you know what a dragon is?” Rossa then asked, leaving Sylvester quite perplexed since it was such random question.

“Of course I do, everyone knows what a dragon is.” Sylvester replied.

“Then describe to me what a dragon looks like.” Rossa continued.

At this point Sylvester was getting confused as to why she was asking him these weird and honestly pointless questions. Then, he remembered their conversation during Estelle and Artian’s trial.

Sylvester started to see where the conversation was going.

“Four limbs and two wings, long neck and tail.” Sylvester answered, but this time he was rather serious in his reply.

“I see, I wonder why despite our worlds being different, we have a common description of a dragon.” Rosa then explained her thoughts.

“Color me surprised, I didn’t think you would be the curious type.” Sylvester replied in a rather rude jest.

“Yes and what of it? Is there a problem?” Only for Rossa to give him a straight forward reply that threw him off.

“I’m sorry. But to get back on topic, it seems that we also share legends about elves as well.” Sylvester then corrected himself.

“Yes.” Rossa then paused. “It’s curious how we share some common legends despite this world being different from mine.”

“Sure, but even just in this world there are multiple legends about dragons or dragon-like creatures spread throughout different cultures that have never made contact with one another.” Sylvester then presented some skepticism.

“Yes I know, but those other dragons are serpent-like.” Then Rossa flips back the pages of her book.

“And there is one other curious coincidence here.” Rossa continued.

“Explain.” Sylvester was now being invested in their little conversation. What seemed like small talk at first became something even greater.

“Okay, what do you know about this person called saint George?” Rossa asked another tangentially related question.

“He’s supposedly a dude who fought and killed a dragon long long ago. Although his existence is highly debated even among mage circles.” Sylvester explained.

“Okay, them I suppose you have an explanation why my world has the exact same legend, only with a different name?” Rossa then dropped a bomb, causing Sylvesrter’s mind to go blank.

“Santus Gromery, a legendary figure or myth in my world known for the exact same thing. And just like here in your world his existence is highly debated amongst scholars and mages.” Rossa explained.

Sylvester was now unable to reply.

Truly, there must be more to this than meets the eye. There could be a range of possible answers to this coincidence and all of them are pretty out there, even in the world of magic.

“I see, that is weird. Do you think our worlds made contact long long ago?” Sylvester asked a possible explanation.

“At first this is what I thought, but considering the method the people of this academy usde to get me here, I doubt it.” Rossa then rebutted.

“Method?” Sylvester asked.

Sylvester seemed to have forgotten something so obvious. Of course there is a method of transport, how else would Rossa appear here and given the extent of the distances, it seems like this method is no easy feat.

“You don’t know? Before I arrived here I-” Rossa was about to explain when Sylvester cut her off.

“No please, don’t spoil it for me. I wanna see it myself when at some point.” Sylvester explained.

“As you wish.” Rossa then headed his request.

“Thank you.” Then Sylvester released a deep sigh. “You think this is one of those truths the headmaster was talking about in his speech?” Sylvester brought up a point.

“It would seem so.” Rossa replied.

“Now then, can you tell me more legends from your world, maybe there are other coincidences like this.”

“Sure. I was planning to share some with you after all. There needs to be an equal exchange of information after all.” Rossa agreed. But as their conversation deepened into a somewhat professional tone, a group of people came in and ruined everything.

“Rossa Argentum and Sylvester Clearsight!” A voice can be heard from across the library.

The sudden call out caused the two of them to be thrown out of their thoughts and focus on whoever it was that suddenly arrived.

A tall man with long flowing brown hair that seemed ridiculous shiny was standing just a few feet away from their table. He was wearing a golden sash on his person and his uniform was decorated with what seemed to be awards and general trinkets.

He gave off an air of superiority and a cliched feel of the classic rich asshole. To Sylvester he seemed like the generic son of a well to do and powerful mage family. While he doesn’t really mind people like them all too much, he just thinks they are annoying to deal with.

The pair who were suddenly taken out of their chat felt apprehensive of this new fellow. Then they noticed that no matter how much noise this rude man is making, no librarian seems to mind. It’s as if they have the library’s consent

“Is he someone you know?” Rossa asked, still through the telepathic spell.

“Nope, and I wish I never did.” Sylvester replied.

“But I think I have an idea of what this guy is here for.” Sylvester added.

“Uggh, Yeah me too.” Rossa replied, sounding annoyed even through telepathy.

The man then slowly approached them, a huge smile on his face as he slowly clapped his hands together. Behind him was a small posse of men and women all slightly bowing their heads and following his lead.

“Miss, Rossa Argentum!” The man suddenly spoke in a rather loud voice that was trying to give off a feel of grandness.

“Visitor from another world, daughter of nobility, and most importantly, possessing a striking beauty. Not only does your appearance stand out, but your abilities as well! You were chosen, after all, as one of the four people who qualified for this batch’s S-rank trials.” The man declared as he looked on to her. Then he shifted his gaze towards Sylvester.

“And you! Mister Sylvester Clearsight. The only child of the great spell forger Jericho Clearsight and most prominent magical artisan, Claria Beltoure. Also chosen as one of the four who qualified for the S-rank challenges and thus proving your own high level of skill!’ The man continued.

“The hell is this guy getting at?” Sylvester thought to himself.

“You two, have proven your worthiness for me to invite you in person, to give you the honor of being in my presence as I hand you a gift!” The man continued.

“Wow this guy is full of himself, it’s quite funny!” Sylvester said telepathically.

“There’s nothing entertaining about a person like this.” Rossa retorted.

“But first let me introduce myself.” The man then paused and then flipped his long flowing hair like something out of a shampoo commercial.

“I am Clarence V Tourmo’D Clarent the fourth. Son of the great Clarence V Tourmo D Clarent the 3rd. ” The man introduced himself

“And I would like to extend a one of a kind invitation to THE most prestigious, The most elite organization in Inanis Orbis.” The man continued.

“An invitation to join, the Clarentum inquisitors!” He proudly declared with arms stretched out wide, his posse of men and women clapping eagerly behind him.

17