Chapter 33: Famous last words
407 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The class went on as normal with the professor discussing various myths and types of legendary swords, he did not go much into detail, but he did imply that at a later subject would delve deeper into magical swords and their supposed creation methods.

Despite the rather fun topic, three people at the back were not able to fully pay attention to the topic at hand.

Sylvester could feel, in a sense, Artian’s hostility the moment King Arthur was brought up, and it never seemed to fade away until the last few minutes of the lecture. At the same time, Estelle was radiating a sense of uneasiness, her worry can be seen through the ski goggles that obscured her eyes.

As the minutes slowly ticked by and the end approached Artian seems to have recovered from his angry disposition.

The three of them started to make plans once professor Paleo X dismissed them, while Rossa silently sat beside them, keeping her thoughts to her own.

“Man, I just want this day to end already.” Artian bemoaned.

“I’m kind of hungry. Artian please go treat me to some snacks!” Estelle declared.

“Hell no, use your own funds, woman.” Artian retorted in a sarcastic manner.

“Booooo. You’re no fun.” Estelle jokingly replied as she pouted and made all sorts of faces trying to get Artian to obey her.

Sylvester silently observed them realizing that this was Estelle’s way of trying to bring some needed distractions for Artian. Thinking about it for a second, he then decided to suggest an obvious and productive activity to the pair.

“Hey guys!” Sylvester said, cutting in between Artian and Estelle’s playful argument.

“Why don’t we just practice together? You know, since me and Artian kinda suck at our current practical lessons I think it’s best we spend our free time a little bit more wisely.” Sylvester declared energetically.

“Eeeehhhhh.. I didn’t think of you as someone diligent.” Artian replied, obviously hinting his refusal to the offer.

“No, I think we really should. Especially you, Artian.” Estelle then gave her input, putting pressure onto Artian once more.

“Wow, I’m getting ganged up on. Why are you agreeing with him anyway?” Artian complained.

“It’s because you’re really bad at the elemental mixing? I can probably help you out too. Unless you don’t want to spend time with me I can understand that.” Estelle then made an obviously fake depressed expression.

“Okay okay fine. We’ll go.” Artian begrudgingly agreed.

“Yay!” Estelle squealed in her victory. Meanwhile Sylvester was feeling a little sour.

“While I don’t really care, I wish you two would stop flirting with each other so much.” Sylvester thought inside his head, silently complaining.

The grapes are indeed sour, just keep thinking they are sour.

Estelle then shifted her attention to the girl sitting silently next to her. With her eyes gleaming in delight she then turned her body to face Rossa, who in turn moved her eyes to Estelle’s direction.

“Would you like to come join us?” Estelle offered but garnered no response from Rossa.

“I heard that Sylvester is currently struggling with uhh.. Chain casting at the moment. Maybe you could help him! I mean you two are classmates and all.” Estelle continued.

“Why are you using me as an excuse? More importantly, why are the two of you still kinda stiff despite being roommates?” Sylvester quietly commented on his mind.

Rossa seemed to have considered the offer for a bit as she closed her eyes, inevitably she decided to decline.

“I’m sorry.” Rossa replied.

“But I have my own business to attend to.” She refused in a very polite tone.

“Aww, that’s too bad. Maybe next time then.” Estelle smiled.

Rossa then excused herself and went off on her own as the trio started to iron out the details of their practice session.

“Okay.” Artian was the first one to open the conversation. “So where exactly do we plan on practicing spells? You think they have some kind of practicing building or something?” He continued.

“Probably, what did it say in the manual? I don’t think I went that far.” Sylvester chimed in.

“About that….” Artian and Estelle meekly replied and then Sylvester immediately knew what those weak replies meant.

“Okay fine, let’s ask the twins again.”

The three of them decided to take a detour back to Artian and Sylvester’s dorm in order to take Artian’s sword and also to go and ask the twins for details.

While Estelle waited outside and with Artian going upstairs to pick up his sword, Sylvester opted to drop his inquiry for the twins.

“Locations where you can practice, you say.” Nitri was the first one to respond.

“Hmm, all three of you are currently taking up entry level classes correct? The guide book says that only those taking up higher level subjects are required to practice their spells on specific areas.” Nitri replied with certainty.

“So we can pick any spot we want?” Sylvester clarified.

“Yes, but you have to make sure that there you aren’t bothering anyone around you. A large open space should suffice.” Tinri explained.

“There are also emergency measures around the campus in order to prevent accidents before they even happen.” Tinri continued.

“Emergency measures?” Sylvester tilted his head.

“Yup, we try our best to keep our campus explosion free! But don’t try it on purpose though, since there is punishment for deliberately trying to trigger it.” Nitri replied in Tinri’s stead.

“Hmm I see. Then is the large open field near the library a good enough location?” Sylvester asked.

“I don’t see why not?” Tinri gave him approval.

“Okay then, thanks.” As soon as Sylvester finished speaking with the twins Artian came running down the stairs to meet him, a sword covered in white cloth can be seen on his hand.

“So, where are we headed now?” Artian asked as he lightly tapped Sylvester’s shoulder.

“They said any open space is okay, so let’s head somewhere near the library, I want to get a few reference books as well.” Sylvester explained.

“Heh nerd.”

“Shut up.”

On their way to the library, they decided to go stock up on some snacks so they can have to chow on since they assumed that they would be spending quite a bit of time on this practice session.

Once they arrived at the library Artian and Estelle went along with Sylvester as he went up and looked for his reference books. Sylvester only brought out one book, in the vain hope that maybe reading it as he did the deed would help him.

They then picked up a spot just a ways away from the Library, smack in the middle of a large grassy field. The cool wind blowing on their faces as they settled down and prepared for the task ahead.

At first Artian was really not fully committed to practicing and sat down to eat a bag of chips. Seeing that he needed more motivation, Estelle then undid her braids and fashioned her long red hair into a ponytail.

Somehow this was enough for Artian to get back up and start doing work.

Meanwhile, Sylvester already started his regiment, not really knowing if he will accomplish anything today. He moved a few meters away from Artian and Estelle and proceeded to raise his left hand.

“Okay okay. Visualize.” Sylvester went ahead and prepared to start his practice.

Sylvester then started gathering mana into his left hand and pointed it toward a space 2 meters away from him.

“Invisible platform!” and upon chanting those words, the spell’s namesake appeared exactly where he aimed it.

“Okay okay, now here comes the hard part!” Sylvester thought to himself as he once again braced himself.

“Trapdoor!” He casted the next spell almost immediately after the first one, foregoing the motion of gathering mana and then using it.

“Come on, come on, visualize!” Sylvester screamed inwardly as he kept an image of a door inside his mind. Soon, the spell began to manifest on the invisible platform and just like many times before, his mana started getting drained at an alarming rate.

Sylvester struggled to contain his mana, trying to reign it in as much as possible. But it seemed that the harder he tried to control it, the faster his mana drained.

Soon enough, his mana supply was almost completely out and the trapdoor failed to completely manifest.

Sylvester almost fell to the ground, but managed to pick himself up back quickly enough as his mana levels stabilized.

“Ah dammit.” Sylvester sighed.

“I would be thankful for my choice of using capacity refresh if only it wasn’t the very reason I keep failing this chain casting thing.” He lamented for a little while before gearing up to try again.

“At the very least I think I got a little farther that time aro-” Sylvester’s thoughts were suddenly interrupted when he felt a growing mana surge from behind him.

“NO ARTIAN WHAT YOU DOING!?” Estelle suddenly shouted.

“Just watch me, I can do this!” Artian replied in a confident but strained tone.

“Uh oh, I have a bad feeling about this.” Sylvester thought as he slowly turned around to see a giant ball, a rather large ball of lightning and fire hovering in front of Artian.

It looked unstable as sparks of electricity and small bursts of fire jotted off from it. Thankfully Estelle was there to counter and block those splintered elemental blasts in order not to set the field on fire.

“You can’t just keep feeding it mana when you try to balance it!” Estelle pleaded with Artian.

“How else am I gonna balance the two elements? Of course I need to add more fuel to the weaker one!” Artian replied.

“Oh boy, this looks bad.” Sylvester said as he looked on to the rather dangerous looking scene.

Thankfully, the spell destabilized and cancelled itself out as Artian decided to stop maintaining it any longer. He then dropped to the floor and started scratching his head out of frustration.

“Dammit!” He exclaimed.

“Welp, looks like this gonna be quite the turbulent road. Oh well, can’t get any worse now can it?” Sylvester shook his head as he approached the two once again.

15