Chapter 35: Angry Rossa
399 1 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

-Inside the library, a good few minutes before the fateful encounter-

Rossa once again can be seen all alone at the edge of a long table right beside the windows. Her lone figure sat solemnly as her eyes stayed glued to the pages of the book that lay in front of her.

Through various contrived circumstances this young lady from the world known as Acqua ended up as a student at Inanis Orbis, the academy that floats in the void between worlds.

Her natural curiosity slowly crept up as she found herself in an unfamiliar environment, eager to unravel its secrets. Sadly, she grew up repressing this innate curiosity in order to fit the image that was placed upon her as a daughter of nobility, nevertheless, her great talent in magic gave her some degree of freedom.

“The legend of King Arthur.” She said as she found the topic she was ever so curious about.

Her interest was piqued when this name was mentioned during her past lecture. The professor started by showing an image of a sword stuck in stone, and it seemed the entire student body reacted quite positively about the so-called legendary king.

“Huh, so the sword stuck in the stone is Caliburn and it's just one of the King’s legendary weapons apparently.” She thought as she quietly read through the book and flipped the pages.

What interested Rossa wasn’t the legend itself, but the grain of truth at the core of it. Every myth, every story, every tale that managed to withstand the test of time possesses this. Sadly this truth has been distorted and mangled beyond recognition.

And sometimes, this act is done deliberately.

“Hmm, this is the third reference book I’ve read so far and it has said the same thing as the rest.” Rossa said in a slightly disappointed tone.

“I doubt I will get the information I want, since this tale seems like a well known story in this world, finding its tracks is going to be difficult.” Her train of thought continued as she got up to return the book to its respective shelf.

Along the way her eyes darted to a group of people that were happily chatting away at a nearby table while keeping their voices at a minimum. Normally, this act inside a library would annoy her but this time it made her realize an important but overlooked fact.

She was alone.

She was all alone in an unfamiliar world filled with unfamiliar faces. While the atmosphere was something she recognized since Inanis Orbis was still a magic academy, everything else however was alien.

One thing that was taught to her as she grew up was to always foster connections with potential allies that will help you through mutual benefit, sometimes it doesn’t even need to be a form of friendship but rather a more formal and business-like affair.

Having said that, the thought of making new connections scared her somewhat, a pain still all too fresh in her heart.

Placing the book back into the shelf, she finally decided it was time to make her move and blaze her own trail.

“Let’s see where would be a good place to start?” She thought as her mind raced back in time to examine the people she met that managed to make even a little impression in her mind.

Out of all the people she has met so far, only 3 made a somewhat positive impression on her. They were the people she met during the trials.

“That girl Estelle seems capable and smart plus she has that strange and unique ability to transform almost completely from just drinking a potion. She was also kind enough to explain some concepts to me like the “internet” or how to use that device called a washing machine.” She started evaluating them one at a time.

“Then there’s that man Artian. He seems to be Estelle’s lover. While I don’t know much about his personality I can at least judge him as someone equally capable given his performance during the trials.” And finally her mind darted towards the last person on the list.

“Sylvester Clearsight.” She then paused for a little bit to gather her thoughts.

“His unnatural mana capacity aside, his methods are quite... unconventional. Playing with his opponents seems to be standard fare for him as seen during our trial, like a way to show how much he is in control of the battle.” Her thoughts continued.

“Although, right now, Capacity refresh is giving him trouble with chain casting but for some reason I can see him overcoming that hurdle shortly. He is also kind enough to answer questions regarding the stuff of legends.” Stepping out of the library, she then continued to ponder on these three people.

“I guess it would be best to make these three my allies while I’m in this academy. After all they seem more competent people than that barbaric man who nearly fell on me and blamed a rock for his folly. Maybe he shouldn’t be horsing around with that rude woman who was chasing him all over then.” Rossa continued her musings.

“Next time I should probably take initiative and approach them of my own accord since I already rejected their invitations multiple times. Friends, huh?” Her mind went back to her home, as a sharp pain seemed to pierce her heart.

“No matter. New world, new people, new opportunities.” She cheered herself up as she forcibly pushed those thoughts away.

Then all of a sudden she was pulled from her calculative mind when she felt a surge of mana that felt very familiar.

“This is-” She then shifted her eyes to the supposed source of the disturbance and saw three people grouped up together.

One of which seemed to be conjuring spells but was consuming mana at an alarming rate. Immediately she realized what the situation was and here, Rossa’s worst trait came to light.

A perfectionist.

A perfectionist that wants those associated with her to be at the very least on the same level as her, and this wishy washy approach to a problem she was easily able to overcome was simply unacceptable.

As the trio celebrated from far away she felt compelled, no, she felt it was her duty to butt in and correct their courses, especially now that she started seeing them as potential allies.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?” She shouted with annoyance as her frustrations leaked out of her voice.

The trio’s attention shifted to the sudden arrival of Rossa who was now angrily glaring at the three of them. As she walked closer it seemed that her attention closed in on Sylvester and isolated him.

“What do you think you’re doing?” She asked in a stern voice.

“Me?” Sylvester asked as he pointed to himself.

“I don’t see anyone else trying to use any magic at the moment?” She said as she crossed her harms in front of her.

Right now, Sylvester was confused as to what was going on with Rossa. It seems that he read her completely wrong!

Just an hour ago or so she was all quiet and distant, almost completely unapproachable. Now, all a sudden, she was all up in their faces angrily screaming at them like an angry teacher.

Sylvester however, quickly recovered his composure and began to explain his side. For whatever reason, Rossa seemed to have approached them of her own will and he really didn’t want this chance to slip by. But mostly, he really just wanted to know why she was suddenly so angry.

“Ahem!” Sylvester fake coughed in order to gather his thoughts and begin his side.

“I was simply practicing chain casting you see.” Sylvester began his explanation.

“I was having trouble with the whole visualization thing and realized I was looking at the wrong direction!” He continued as Rossa raised her left eyebrow giving off a more indignant look.

“So after seeing how Artian goes about his way!” He said as he pointed to Artian whose face was screaming, begging not to drag him into this.

“I realized that I need to visualize myself absorbing more mana from my surroundings and therefore being able to supply the demand needed to fuel the next spell.” He then finished his talk, smiling as if showing he was proud himself.

Rossa however didn’t respond and continued to look at him, all of a sudden she let out a deep sigh.

“Okay. I’m already here. Might as well! And to think I was starting to have a good opinion on you. Never mind.” She rambled before focusing on Sylvester once again.

“You!” She exclaimed while pointing her finger at the man smiling proudly, immediately turning that smile upside down.

“What?” Sylvester replied.

“Turn around.” She commanded.

“Excuse me?” Sylvester immediately replied in response to her sudden command.

“Just turn around.” She insisted.

Sylvester then obliged without much deliberation and turned his back towards Sylvester. Immediately she felt a hand touch his back.

“Uhh, what’s the idea with all this Miss Argentum?” Sylvester asked in his usual playful tone.

“Rossa, call me Rossa and be quiet for a second.” She then concentrated on gathering mana on her palm, something that Sylvester felt.

“Now, I want you to try chain casting once again.” Rossa commanded.

“Okay.” Sylvester didn’t resist or even question Rossa’s intentions and simply went along with her demands. He then gathered mana once again and prepared to cast his spells.

Once he felt that he had gathered enough, he quickly casted Invisible platform right in front of him and prepared to cast Trap door immediately.

“Trap door!” He declared and prepared for that huge and straining stream of mana to flow through him, but instead he felt something different.

Sylvester could feel a strong force suppressing his mana, forcing the erratic suction force he generates and focusing it into a more stable and calm stream. With that he was able to cast Trap door with more or less the same mana required as a regular cast.

After a while Sylvester dispelled the invisible platform and Trap door and turned around to face Rossa who was now looking at him dead in the eye, seemingly satisfied with herself.

“See that? That is how you correctly do chain casting!”

“Uhh, sooo, what exactly did you do?” Sylvester questioned Rossa, who was still a little bit flustered over her outburst.

“Ugggh..” Rossa let out a long breath as she tried to calm herself down and regain her form.

“From what I saw is that you seem to be having trouble with visualization right?” Rossa began her explanation.

“Yes.” To which Sylvester eagerly listened.

“What you did wrong was focus so much on the visualization of the spell, that you neglected visualizing your own mana.” Rossa continued.

“But, I did that by intensifying capacity refresh, and so I managed to meet the required mana and even beyond.” Sylvester defended himself.

“Yes, but that isn’t visualization. You simply let go of control. You let the vacuum loose, and watched on from the sidelines. It’s a big waste! You’re using enough mana to power a three line spell to feed a mere one line spell!” Rossa continued on her point.

“On that note, why not just use a magic stone? I suppose you also have those in this world right? What you’re doing is basically turning your body into one!”

Sylvester at this point was silent. He understood what the fuming princess in front of him was trying to say. He was thankful quite frankly, since he didn’t realize his mistake.

“Then there’s also the fact that using that much mana while letting loose a turbulent mana flow will result in physical strain.” She added.

“I think you should know this by now right? All that effort for a mere one line spell. Do you really think that was worth it?” Rossa continued on her tirade.

Sylvester’s own mind continued to think over Rossa’s inputs. It’s true that it took so much effort to simply cast trapdoor. It felt like Sylvester went through grueling physical activity over one spell. In an actual fight, this would prove detrimental. He thought that he could simply train himself to get used to it, but with Rossa’s guidance he managed to find the right path.

“I see now. Thank you Miss Argentum.” Sylvester wanted to thank her but stopped himself, as if remembering he had to show some courtesy to the foreign noble in front of him.

“I told you just Rossa is fine!” She blurted immediately.

“First name basis already?” Sylvester replied in a joking tone.

“Yes, what of it?”

“Nothing.” Sylvester somehow felt like he lost, but didn’t know why.

“Now, try chain chasting once more. Visualize your mana, and remember the sensation that you just felt.” Rossa commanded.

“Remember the sensation.” Sylvester said to himself as he once again gathered mana into his palm, an action he has started getting sick of since he has been practicing like no tomorrow.

“Alright let’s try this out!” Sylvester thought as he focused his mind and began the next attempt.

“Invisible platform!” He shouted and immediately the spell took effect, immediately he prepared for the next step but his mind was only dead set on one thing.

“Come one, visualize. Visualize! Remember!” He told himself over and over, imagining the great pressure that constricted and forced his mana flow earlier.

Without much time to spare Sylvester had to cast his spell and hope for the best.

“Trap Door!” He exclaimed as he closed his eyes, repeating the final action that he has been doing over and over this whole day.

Soon the familiar feeling of his mana getting drained fell over him, but this time his mind did not falter and held on. Held on to the sensation of Rossa suppressing his mana and stopping a turbulent flow.

Sylvester then felt that the draining sensation lessened to a berable degree. He then opened his eyes and saw that the trap door was stabilizing, but the moment his concentration dropped he could feel a stronger tug.

After a few seconds he successfully manifested the spell.

15